So what's to come?

cole256

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m no coach, but the most problematic thing to me is that all of our PI calls come after weve been beaten. And that seems to happen every pass play. My question is why we cant keep guys in front of us better. 

Too much man coverage for 'keeping them in front.' Thats better suited for zone coverage. But, regardless of the pinned post on 'when to and not to look for the ball'...that concept is kryptonite to our DB's.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, DAG said:

So out of spite , you are blaming the DBs for costing us the game ? That is a silly statement.

No I think the DBs did cost us the game.  Not out of spite but out of what I saw.  

Out of player responsibility of the loss I would say DBs, QB, OL in that order

Just now, kevon67 said:

That can cost you your job in the NFL........aka Gramatica

Yep. They Vikings faithful are already calling for his head..projecting him as Blair Walsh 2.0. Yikes

If you watch replay. Stidham had wide open receivers for big plays he never saw. Some he was rushed on but some he didn't go thru progressions. He didn't have a great game but he played well enough to win. We have a q.b that can distribute the ball why is his hell  bent on handing it off up the middle. Where is the gus  offense that took us to 2 nc. Auburn fast. I just don't think he can do it without a dual threat qb.

1 hour ago, StatTiger said:

* During the past two games, Auburn is 1 of 4 on third downs during the first quarter and 0 of 6 during the fourth quarter. One of 10 is not a good way to start and finish a game.

DBs really need to step up...

3 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

If you watch replay. Stidham had wide open receivers for big plays he never saw. Some he was rushed on but some he didn't go thru progressions. He didn't have a great game but he played well enough to win. We have a q.b that can distribute the ball why is his hell  bent on handing it off up the middle. Where is the gus  offense that took us to 2 nc. Auburn fast. I just don't think he can do it without a dual threat qb.

Nope…..28 passes and many short ones with almost 100% chance of being caught...but two Ints. and missed receivers.  Lucky to get at least one other back and Williams made a great catch on a poorly thrown pass.    JMO but it was an off day.  

I guess "  you consider anything between the ends as being "up the middle" but the running game had a pretty good variety of calls, to both sides, couple sweeps and it seems that some of the best results were "up the middle" on delays that Boobee carried.  

The offenses that took us to NC games are playing in Charlotte and Canada..... :)

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Nope…..28 passes and many short ones with almost 100% chance of being caught...but two Ints. and missed receivers.  Lucky to get at least one other back and Williams made a great catch on a poorly thrown pass.    JMO but it was an off day.  

I guess "  you consider anything between the ends as being "up the middle" but the running game had a pretty good variety of calls, to both sides, couple sweeps and it seems that some of the best results were "up the middle" on delays that Boobee carried.  

The offenses that took us to NC games are playing in Charlotte and Canada..... :)

JMO but I think we have overhyped JS from the start. He’s an above average QB. He’s good. He’s not great. He’s not Cam Newton or Jason Campbell or Nick Marshall. We can’t rely on him to win us a game.  Not that he can’t but he’s not putting the team on his back and making clutch plays. He’s not going to be the comeback king. He is a guy who will manage the game and do a solid job. We have to get the run game going.

3 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Couldn't have said it better. Our offense in a nutshell. Gus always overthinks himself. Don't do this because they will think we will counter with this, so let's run this play again. 

run up the middle 3 times.   Damn didnt work again.   Is that overthinking or under thinking? 

We don't have stud rbs. They have talent and need to bulk up, but they don't even compare to alabama and Georgia. Stidham is not mobile enough. He is a pro style q.b.  The fact is we have had good recruiting classes but the top schools are just loaded with more talented guys and it's hard to overcome. That's why we see the same teams in playoff every year. We also play one of the toughest schedules every year

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

I wonder about that.....maybe in the SEC right now and wondering what the criteria is.   But JMO, Gus is not his problem....and I do hope he gets better.   In the SEC if he can't learn to handle pressure and find alternate receivers, that's a problem and that's  on him...JMO...

Im saying as far as QB prospects go, he's been heralded as a top 5 guy positionally since this summer and even as recent as this past week. obtaining that status doesnt even necessarily mean youre great in college, as the past few drafts have made sure of 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Yep. They Vikings faithful are already calling for his head..projecting him as Blair Walsh 2.0. Yikes

you'd probably get a second chance if you went anywhere other than the Vikings, who have negative luck with kickers

im sure Auburn would give him a good sized check to teach Anders to be better though

17 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Im saying as far as QB prospects go, he's been heralded as a top 5 guy positionally since this summer and even as recent as this past week. obtaining that status doesnt even necessarily mean youre great in college, as the past few drafts have made sure of 

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/list/top-25-quarterbacks-2018-tua-tagovailoa-jake-fromm-trace-mcsorley-khalil-tate-shea-patterson-heisman-contenders/rizuuo14tn4k14yxjx4wjxl5j

Think he was #9 in this piece but I must say that none of them would set my heart aflutter if I had the first pick in the draft after the season. 

2 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Too much man coverage for 'keeping them in front.' Thats better suited for zone coverage. But, regardless of the pinned post on 'when to and not to look for the ball'...that concept is kryptonite to our DB's.

The fact we played so much man is a mystery to me. LSU consistently had 5-6 blocking, and we typically had 4 rushing. I don’t understand having to play man with 7 in coverage against 3-4 receivers. 

The concept of a "wake-up loss" enters my mind here.

OK:

1. Our defensive line was heralded as "elite" all off-season.

2. Our QB was described as "NFL 1st-round" caliber.

Then we beat Washington, and climbed in the rankings.  And we bought-in even more to our own hype.

Then we were favored by double digits over LSU.  We were playing at home.  We were facing the very challenged Ed Orgeron.  We had the better defensive line and QB.

Maybe our team expected to win against LSU, and underestimated their opponent.  That would explain how we got dominated for the first 22:50 of the game.

After this same loss last year, our team went on a winning streak that none of us would have predicted.  And I think that was because there was no pressure on our players.  Our season was already ruined by losses to Clemson and LSU, so we had no future to protect.  We simply played it game-to-game, took it one day at a time, and remained focused on the 6 inches in front of our face.  And low and behold, we beat UGA and UA.

So although I'm really pissed and bummed about yesterday, severely dreading tomorrow morning at work when I have to hear my Cajun colleague laugh and say "I told you so", and then buy him lunch later in the day because I was stupid enough AGAIN THIS YEAR to bet him on this game, I'm not going to be surprised if we beat UGA or UA, or both.

I think we will lose at most only one more game in the regular season: UGA or UA.

3 hours ago, corchjay said:

The OL is inexperienced.  So is the defensive backfield.  They both faltered yesterday and in my opinion the DBs cost us the game.  

Not taking the field goal in the first quarter cost us the game. 

7 hours ago, wde1968 said:

I thought redshirt junior.

you are correct  Redshirt Junior i was confused myself because I had read Wikipedia today and for some reason his Wikipedia page has him listed as a Senior

2 hours ago, Tiger Scout said:

We don't have stud rbs. 

I don’t know if we do or don’t. We don’t let any of them have enough time to get anything going. I’m not talking about riding one into the ground, but let one of them have a series of in interrupted plays.

seems to me whitlow is plenty good enough to be a 1k or more guy.

3 hours ago, fasttimes said:

we were down 7-0 and were an inch away from being down 14-0 if not for our D holding LSU to a field goal. going for it on 4th was the right call. everyone has their own opinion but our Defense caught  napping on that last touchdown was what truly cost us you cant lead 21-13 and then give up a 80 yard touchdown in just one snap as soon as I saw the LSU receiver hit open field I said "Oh No" 

No effing way. You take the point always and everywhere. You are at home, it’s the 1st quarter, we were the better team, you ran it 3 times before and didn’t get it. You take the points. The momentum was with lsu and had been. Then we got the stop and drove. We got held up but you kick that field goal and take the points.

it a was a stupid yet typical call. In no world is going for it there the right call.

17 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

Might be more realistic to  say  that missing the field goal later in the game cost us the game....was in range of the kicker and the snap/hold was bad....not a gimme but easily makeable for Carlson.     I thought that was  a key play and yet don't think anyone has questioned it ….or why the holder could not make the play.

Just saying that it's not realistic to pick out some play in the first quarter and make that the difference of the game.

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just saying that it's not realistic to pick out some play in the first quarter and make that the difference of the game.

That is as good as anything to blame it on 64. Very frustrating afternoon. I did not agree with that decision. Understand what you are saying.

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

That is as good as anything to blame it on 64. Very frustrating afternoon. I did not agree with that decision. Understand what you are saying.

Understand but I think it was a good call because coaches had every reason to believe that if they did not make it, the AU defense would have backed up deep and a good chance to get the ball back in good position to take it back down again. 

And as I said earlier....was a chance to send a message to both teams that AU was in the game to win it and to show that we could dominate ....and not dink away 3 points at a time which had been a much criticized approach by Gus in previous years. 

I want us to score 60 against our next two opponents. Can we please come out with anger and engaged. No silly turnovers, no trick plays and no loafing. We need an attitude adjustment in a big way.

Archived