So what's to come?

cole256

35 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

the team came out flat someone said. i agree or more than that, they came out unsure. for the first quarter and a half we ran plays that didn't resemble the Auburn team we have seen so far this year.

I thought they came out tight......too much energy and pressure.....that little drop by Kam probably finished his day IMO...and that int right away?    But,  the idea of "trust" as if it is an unfair expectations... I have a hard time understanding.    Players have to earn it.....not get it for free from the coach.    Some folks have latched onto this "trust" complaint about Gus and I sure don't know where that comes from but he's probably playing the guys he trusts not to make mistakes when it matters ...and I don't blame him.  

Otherwise, I think you misread the whole structure of the team and it's skill level.  Got a bunch of freshmen playing...and why is that?....probably because they are the better players at their positions …..and the comment about not changing RBs every few downs seems to run contrary to the prevailing thinking on this board which criticizes Gus for overworking his backs.  

Kam got the starting job because he was the most experienced returning player and it amazed me after watching the Wash game that many people thought he was still going to be the "guy".   JMO but after watching the game yesterday, he will be #3 next week.   No problem there in my mind....we need 3 of them and he can contribute in that role too. 

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, KnightTiger said:

I believe Stidham is a senior this year correct?  then we should have a new QB next year which also means we'll be starting a sophomore in Malik Willis. or a True Freshman in Joey Gatewood or Bo Nix

JS is a Junior....could have two more years if he wants them.... 

57 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

You wanted to say Boobieless.  Gus likes 80+ offensive plays with around 50 run plays.  30 to Boobie and the rest scattered between the RBs and Qb.  Someone has to step up and I think Boobie did that yesterday.  I don’t recall seeing Kam at all in the 2nd half so I’m not sure if he’s hurt or what.  I liked the way Asa was used and Shivers did well on a couple plays but he got shut down pretty quickly.  I have a feeling Auburn will revert to a more run heavy offense the next couple weeks against weaker opponents.

I did want to say Boobieless

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

JS is a Junior....could have two more years if he wants them.... 

didn't know that so I guess unless he heads to the NFL (not out of the realm of possibility depending on how the rest of the season goes) he will most likely be the QB once again next year

4 hours ago, CodeRocket said:

I concur with everything stated here except that I am hopeful that CJBG will get some of the o-line issues resolved.

I remember reading on this board earlier in the summer, I think it was anonymous quotes from other SEC coaches, that our QB would lower his eyes when feeling the rush. If true it would explain not seeing some of the open receivers.

My guess is we finish 9-3 if this was the one we typically lose that we should have won and 8-4 if not.

i think herb hand set us back on the o line. i could be wrong but i believe grimes never had an oline with as many problems. and i might be wrong but i think it takes a while to change was taught before grimes. i believe tega would be a lot better player if coach grimes had never left. but i am no expert.

@DAG

Seriously, we were exposed on both sides of the ball.  OL is bad. C can't pick up a middle blitz and Tega can't stay with a speed rusher. As far as run blocking goes, we don't seem to have the strength to move anyone. Constantly stonewalled at the point of attack. Running backs are fine, but we are not utilizing their strengths. Our outside running is basically non existent. DL is very good at stopping the run, but can't get consistent pressure on passing downs without blitzes.  Big Kat is our best pass rusher and it's not close. Secondary  played very well with some one-sided BS calls.  Noah is getting picked on and having growing pains, but is stepping up his game up. To me, the biggest issue is from a coaching philosophy.  We are not good enough to run to set up the PA pass like previous versions of this O. Period.  We need to utilize our passing better.  Only then will this line be able to open up enough holes to have a run game.  Offensively, we seem to move away from plays that work and try to force things that aren't. JMO.

4 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

It is who we are under Malzahn as HC with 2013 the exception.

We had many close games that season that went our way. Since then, we really haven't. I'd imagine every handful of years, we will have another season like that (minus the once in a lifetime plays) because some things will swing our way. This is shaping into a Mark Richt situation. 

3 hours ago, doverstutts said:

i don't see 8 wins....moo st,updykes,leghumpers and aggies......7-5 is the best i can come up with

This souds just like what everyone said last year. We don't need to scrap the whole season just because of one lose that stings right now. We are better than that.

2 hours ago, Shift said:

Yup.  SEC network aired an interview with Burrows leading up to the Auburn game and Burrows pointed this out specifically in his interview.  He claimed that he was not afraid to take a hit in the pocket and would stand in to deliver a pass.  He showed that several times Saturday.  Burrows is one tough QB.

Sorry but Stidham is an average QB at best.  Often, when the pocket begins to break down, it looks like he drops his eyes and abandons the play.  Maybe he has but I don't remember a time when Stidham stood tall and took a hit to deliver a pass.

he has. butthe thing is if js goes down do you trust willis to come in and do well? willis scares me but if he turns out to be great i will be the first to apologize.

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

@DAG

Seriously, we were exposed on both sides of the ball.  OL is bad. C can't pick up a middle blitz and Tega can't stay with a speed rusher. As far as run blocking goes, we don't seem to have the strength to move anyone. Constantly stonewalled at the point of attack. Running backs are fine, but we are not utilizing their strengths. Our outside running is basically non existent. DL is very good at stopping the run, but can't get consistent pressure on passing downs without blitzes.  Big Kat is our best pass rusher and it's not close. Secondary  played very well with some one-sided BS calls.  Noah is getting picked on and having growing pains, but is stepping up his game up. To me, the biggest issue is from a coaching philosophy.  We are not good enough to run to set up the PA pass like previous versions of this O. Period.  We need to utilize our passing better.  Only then will this line be able to open up enough holes to have a run game.  Offensively, we seem to move away from plays that work and try to force things that aren't. JMO.

Honestly I agree 100 percent with this! I am really surprised at how our defensive line could get zero pressure. We definitely should be airing it out more but CGM has said we need to run the ball better. Well no crap.

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Offensively, we seem to move away from plays that work and try to force things that aren't. 

Couldn't have said it better. Our offense in a nutshell. Gus always overthinks himself. Don't do this because they will think we will counter with this, so let's run this play again. 

27 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Our RBs are fine.  You can have the best RB in the nation but if the OLine can't open holes, he will be ineffective.  We'll get there but we're not there yet. 

How did I say they weren't? I agree, Bo Jackson wasn't getting that 4th down into the teeth of that stacked front either.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Noah is getting picked on and having growing pains, but is stepping up his game up.

I think he is holding his own quite well for a first timer back there. 

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

I think he is holding his own quite well for a first timer back there. 

Me too! I am very impressed with him.

30 minutes ago, bigbird said:

@DAG

Totally agree. You have a decent QB and ton of WRs... freaking use them you know. Just sling the damn ball around. Take what the defense gives you and take it all day until they stop. This constant "have to run have to run" and get 2yds on first down gets so old. Then like you said, when a play (like the delay draw from yesterday) works you never see it again except when you know the defense expects it.

48 minutes ago, bigbird said:

@DAG

@bigbird takes my stuff, cleans it up and post it and you guys fall for it and like it every time.

I post it and I get face palms...smh you mutha?!

44 minutes ago, bigbird said:

@DAG

So let me get this right... Noah is getting picked on and having growing pains but getting better with experience... Yet the OL doesn't get the same respect.  The OL has 3 new starters and the other 2 have less then a seasons worth of starts as well.  Auburn's offense isn't setup to be a run or pass only type O.  It's balanced based.  It's take what the defense is giving you.  We have to execute better.  

For all the bitching and moaning about play calls, poor execution, culture, and everything else... and not trying to blame the kid at all because everyone makes mistakes but if Daniel Thomas just comes up and tackles the guy on the TD catch and run instead of sitting back hoping the ball was overthrown for an interception we cruise on to win about what most expected.  

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

@bigbird takes my stuff, cleans it up and post it and you guys fall for it and like it every time.

I post it and I get face palms...smh you mutha?!

yeah I wonder why... poor cole.  I like you cole you're a pretty cool dude but you aren't always right and no one wants to hear someone trumpet themselves like you do.  Just some advice for you buddy

4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

So let me get this right... Noah is getting picked on and having growing pains but getting better with experience... Yet the OL doesn't get the same respect.  The OL has 3 new starters and the other 2 have less then a seasons worth of starts as well.  Auburn's offense isn't setup to be a run or pass only type O.  It's balanced based.  It's take what the defense is giving you.  We have to execute better.  

For all the bitching and moaning about play calls, poor execution, culture, and everything else... and not trying to blame the kid at all because everyone makes mistakes but if Daniel Thomas just comes up and tackles the guy on the TD catch and run instead of sitting back hoping the ball was overthrown for an interception we cruise on to win about what most expected.  

4 of the 5 OL have multiple starts over the last couple years and Noah was a converted WR that hadn't played DB since middle school.  Yeah, there is a HUGE difference.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

4 of the 5 OL have multiple starts and Noah was a converted WR that hadn't played DB since middle school.  Yeah, there is a HUGE difference.

who are these OL with multiple starts?  Driscoll at UMass?  Horton with his 4 or 5 starts?  Harrell with his 6?  Kim with his 3?  or Tega with his 7 or 8?  

5 minutes ago, corchjay said:

who are these OL with multiple starts?  Driscoll at UMass?  Horton with his 4 or 5 starts?  Harrell with his 6?  Kim with his 3?  or Tega with his 7 or 8?  

Well, I think you just answered your own question. 

Kim was the only OL with zero starting experience, but has been in the system for 3 years. How many starts and time at DB did Noah have? Why is it difficult to acknowledge the OL has much more experience both in starts and within the program/system, and because of it should be held to a higher degree of scrutiny.  Their performance has been very poor, Noah's has not.

6 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Yes?

12 minutes ago, corchjay said:

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5b9eaf88775450504d

Archived