So what's to come?

cole256

2 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

What's to come? I think the real question  is what's to come from Malzahn's coaching. I think we'll see more to come from yesterdays game.

What exactly was your complaints with how he coached the game outside of the result?

I thought the offense started off tight, and the play calling opened up. We went for it on fourth down a few times and scored TDs mostly (including in the redzone). I thought Gus managed the game well for the most part.

We lost the turnover battle, field position battle, and in the end, committed more critical penalties than LSU. LSU was able to execute well especially on third down. In fact, Auburn was very fortunate to escape the first quarter being down only 10 points.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

As long as teams limit Auburns ability to hit big plays, they are going to be able to hold Auburn to 24pts or less. Malzahns offense isnt built to go on 10+ play drives. We have to find a way to generate explosive plays. This is starting to feel like 2015 in terms of the lack of explosive plays. Most of our big time adjustments come after 3-4 games though, so I am still on the upbeat side of things. Need to figure out the OL and quick though. 

Disagree there.....he is a run first guy and long drives are a staple when he has the OL to make it happen.  

Problem is that right now,  we can't sustain a long drive and with more pass attempts, comes more incompletions and no gain situations which hinders the running game.  First down passes are great if you hit them...but when it's second and 10, the running game is severely handicapped..    Yesterday, AU had put LSU in the ideal situation.....lots of third and longs....and most of the time our D allowed their rag armed QB to hit some little pass right over the middle for the first down.....awful.     We seemed to have less success in similar situations.

We’re under dogs against TAMU, Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi State. All of those games I think we should feel surprised to win each of those.

Less than 5 losses is a success and Ole Miss’ receivers will keep them in it against us. Bama and Georgia will clap our cheeks without amazing improvement.

To win out to the GA game, we have to make some changes on the OL (Kim was never going to be the starter until Brahms got hurt. I see a change there, when he is ready.). I think Harrell may be next. They want Ashley in there.

On Defense, our DBs really hurt us down the stretch with there PI calls. We just can't give up 30 yards on the last drive, and LSU knew who to test. They have got to get better or better QBs than LSU's QB will kill them.

And Stidham has to improve his ability to make plays. I think he has great QB tools, and that is why is going to go 1st round or early 2nd. But, he lacks that ability to take control and find that open WR on critical downs, and late in the game. I just don't see if being that QB that will get you that score. To not move the ball effectively in the second half, at home, is inexcusable. in our last 5 drives of the game, we had 3 punts, one long missed FG and an INT. No drive was over 2 1/2 mins and after the TD, we never made into the Red zone.

Cant win like that. Won't win any like that.

Guys in all honesty ,We came out flat as a team. Offensive line was not good at all. (we know that already)Got absolutely destroyed at point of contact as far as physicality. Our D line wasn't there normal self. We played sloppy in the secondary, Receivers and RB had some dropped balls. Stidham wasn't his best, had many opportunities to put LSU away.4th and 7 , 1 play 60 yard TD on crossing route should never happen. Blame it on PI's, trust me I was the first one to blame officiating last night but we beat ourselves , its simple as that. We had a very off day AND STILL were beating LSU 21-10 till 4th quarter. We may not get to playoffs, may only win 8 games, maybe I am wearing my orange and navy glasses but just like last year maybe this loss I believe will be good for this team.We always play better as under dog, and I think will gut check the players and coaches. My point Auburn did everything they could to loss this game and we did . If we can clear up some mistakes , and not come out flat we will be fine even with questionable Oline play in my opinion. LSU DLine is good big,athletic as always and Oline (still got dominated)  Managed. 

Auburn has tons of room to improve from play calling, physical play(Oline and not whiffing on blocks) , execution and penalties and still had chances to not only put LSU away but had opportunity to run away with it.

So whats to come, GREAT learning experience on how many little mistakes add up at the end of the game.Auburn looked like they could mess up a W$T dream yesterday. Leaders are going to snatch this team up. Its GUT check time boys!!!!  With our schedule we can afford this loss. LSU will lose at least 2 conference games ESP with UGA on schedule this year. 

On positive side , our young skill guys on offense is something to get real excited about. That catch Williams(correction) made that they overturned was a big league catch. Shivers, all 170 pounds has to be taken down by 3 guys twice his size. Whitlow vision seems to be improving but has all the tools. 

I wanted this game bad cause of last year but hell 

2013- loss to LSU (Went to NC game)

2017-loss to LSU(Went to Sec Champ game , Auburn wins Auburns in  playoffs)

2018-loss to LSU TBD

-Re-watching game now Dinson definitely should of been called for that PI on last drive(well should have been holding), -Slayton no call, definitely pass interference(holding)

The one I really do not agree with was Dean PI call. I thought he couldn't of played it any better. Gary Daniels saying he held his arm but he had head turned looking for ball , LSU Wideout tried to get a little push off and looked to me Deans hand just kinda locked with arm for a second . That was pathetic 

War Eagle guys 

The whole season would turn around if we ran a spread 5 wr set and went full west coast on these suckers.

We won’t though.

IDK but if Stidham and the offense don't show us something quick, we might be a 5 loss team this year. Miss State and TAMU are going to be very tough and right now I don't see us beating Georgia and Alabama on the road

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

The whole season would turn around if we ran a spread 5 wr set and went full west coast on these suckers.

lol, then we can't run 2 straight plays into the gut of the defense and then bitch about 3rd down conversions.....square peg into round hole

12 minutes ago, bmartin3228 said:

The one I really do not agree with was Dean PI call. I thought he couldn't of played it any better. Gary Daniels saying he held his arm but he had head turned looking for ball , LSU Wideout tried to get a little push off and looked to me Deans hand just kinda locked with arm for a second . That was patheti

I’m no coach, but the most problematic thing to me is that all of our PI calls come after weve been beaten. And that seems to happen every pass play. My question is why we cant keep guys in front of us better. 

5 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

lol, then we can't run 2 straight plays into the gut of the defense and then bitch about 3rd down conversions.....square peg into round hole

Of all the things we did wrong yesterday, this wasn’t one of them. 

I think the real problem at the O Line is consistency. We had some good runs yesterday but then our interior would just completely whiff on a block.

And LSU are no no slouches on defense either. As I say, maybe we can that by November, we have in the past... But the prognosis isn't a favorable one.

This is an 8-4 team at best against our schedule.  7-5 wouldn’t surprise me.  OL is not good but the worst thing is our corners trying to go man against good receivers.  That passing attack yesterday was average at best and they ate us up when it counted.  UGA and Banner will name the score against them.   Player development and coaching on the DB’s as a whole is terrible.  The only thing that covered up the deficiencies against Washington was the pass rush which was lacking yesterday in the 4th quarter.  Why?  Because the the DL was on the field too much due to the lack of a rushing attack, which in turn goes back to the OL.  

53 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Not doubting what you’re saying, but I’m afraid if we give a true freshman 30+ carries a game moving forward, by the end of the season we will be Boobieless.

You wanted to say Boobieless.  Gus likes 80+ offensive plays with around 50 run plays.  30 to Boobie and the rest scattered between the RBs and Qb.  Someone has to step up and I think Boobie did that yesterday.  I don’t recall seeing Kam at all in the 2nd half so I’m not sure if he’s hurt or what.  I liked the way Asa was used and Shivers did well on a couple plays but he got shut down pretty quickly.  I have a feeling Auburn will revert to a more run heavy offense the next couple weeks against weaker opponents.

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m no coach, but the most problematic thing to me is that all of our PI calls come after weve been beaten. And that seems to happen every pass play. My question is why we cant keep guys in front of us better. 

Yeah I was a little frustrated with not changing up some much press coverage on the 3rd and long. Especially since we are having problems with it PI's . Think Steele kept calling to trying to bring more pressure. I'm of course sitting on my couch writing on a forum but wish we we go to more a cover 2 sink with these 3rd and long and keep them in front of the sticks.We may have been and I missed it. I was impressed with Daniel Thomas during Washington game but he killed us yesterday because he is not real fast so if he does not take good angles, hes done.I thought Dean played his really well for most part , just unfortunate bad calls.   BIRD is a really good guy on here with secondary to ask 

Problem is you go to a prevent or cover 4 with average QB and our Dline was not getting at QB like normal is going to pick you apart anyways with time in the pocket. 

I know I didn't answer your question at all just sharing same frustration

its always interesting to read everyone's take. a lot of times with malzahn, it seems like im watching a different game than most in here.

the team came out flat someone said. i agree or more than that, they came out unsure. for the first quarter and a half we ran plays that didn't resemble the Auburn team we have seen so far this year. we started a freshman at running back to start the game. think about that for a minute. again, coaching lost us another game we should have won. malzahn does not have confidence in this team for whatever reason. or maybe its just the run game. but he doesn't have it and he lets it show to the team who played, at least the first quarter and a half, like they were not sure of themselves.

not taking the field goal, even if we missed, was the dumbest call i have seen so far this year. it was the first quarter. you are at home and most every one thinks you have the better team. take the points.

everytime we got momentum in the game, the play calls did something to give it back. when the pass was working we went to the run. when the run worked we stopped and tried to through. it is maddening watching these teams.

we have the horses to run with anyone. stidham is more than capable, even if he has a bad game. our receivers are good if we can get the ball to them. we probably have a good to great running back if we would give someone the ball and le t them go and not change them out every other down. the jockey is the problem. this is like a broken record.

19 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Also the PI over middle , for holding was not smart . If I can remember correctly we had a safety over the top. I could understand him holding LSU receiver getting beat and taking penalty but there no need for it cause he had safety help.Again this is off of what I remember . 

5 hours ago, AuMarine said:

I agree Cole, there is so much talent on this team, but they have got to play better together. I wonder sometimes if Gus is bipolar, the team takes on the personality of the coach and there are always certain games every year that we look bipolar as a team. I was disappointed with what I saw yesterday especially from the quarterback. I am hoping for 9 wins but who knows. 

Honestly, I see us losing at least three more regular season games. A&M, Ga and Bama. It's always possible we lose to Miss. St as well. Stidham is overrated although the line is porous.  While we have serviceable tailbacks, none of them scare other teams. I am still wondering how Gussie handcuffed the school getting 7 yrs and 49 mil based on two seasons in which they looked for real. His Agent must be brilliant! 

What’s to come? 8-4/9-3 as far as the eye can see but our coach will represent us with class for the most part, run a “clean” program, and promote that all-important “family” vibe that is so cherished at AU. Whether we should have shelled out top dollar for that is the unanswered question but seems to me like we paid Nieman Marcus money for Belk type results (and did it voluntarily for some reason).

5 hours ago, DAG said:

Nope and I will be disguusted if we lose to Mississippi state. They will cause havoc from the defensive line, but I don’t think their offense is very potent. Not so average joe had a horrid completion percentage, but he had made important throws when needed. Can Mississippi State QB do that? I don’t think so.

Fitzpatrick is a lot better QB than what Lsu has. Hate to deliver the bad news to you.

17 minutes ago, wde1968 said:

Fitzpatrick is a lot better QB than what Lsu has. Hate to deliver the bad news to you.

Not delivering any bad news to me. He was suppose to be all world last year and we saw what happened. The LSU QB has played against two top 25 teams and was able to handle himself, even if the stats haven’t showed it (46 percent completion %). Mississippi State hasn’t played a single quality opponent and he has a 52 percentage completion rate. When Fitz plays against quality opponent then I can get a true assessment from him.

2 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

As much as I like Whitlow and Shivers, and as much as I've liked KJ and other RB's over the past several years, I'm curious why can't Gus land the big time 5* RB's out of HS? You can have other schools with a backfield full of 4-5* RB's, such that few of them get much PT, but an offense that relies heavily on the run can't seem to get a Chubb, Gurley, Fournette, etc...Dyer and Robinson were the only two I can remember, but both had their personal problems, and Dyer was before Malzahn was HC. 

Our RBs are fine.  You can have the best RB in the nation but if the OLine can't open holes, he will be ineffective.  We'll get there but we're not there yet. 

8 hours ago, shabby said:

I think we finish 9-3 and get a good bowl. Next year if our quarterback situation works out, shouldn't we have a more experienced better team at most positions?

I believe Stidham is a senior this year correct?  then we should have a new QB next year which also means we'll be starting a sophomore in Malik Willis. or a True Freshman in Joey Gatewood or Bo Nix

Archived