Jalen Harris to redshirt then transfer

GwillMac6

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw it on his IG. Best wishes to him. Go kid. He wants to play and be a factor and no one can blame him for wanting to do so. WDE!

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He was basically lied to about how he’d be used. Not being naive and saying coaches don’t have to lie often but he has full justification in this situation 

who lied to him and what lie did they tell him?

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He was basically lied to about how he’d be used. Not being naive and saying coaches don’t have to lie often but he has full justification in this situation 

I can believe that; along with other TEs and WRs. 

link

AUBURN, Alabama — Jalen Harris finally caught a pass.

A few days later, he made a final decision: he's leaving Auburn.

The tight end announced via Twitter Wednesday afternoon he was granted a release from the Auburn football program, will maintain a year of eligibility due to the NCAA's four-game redshirt rule and will leave seeking a new team as a graduate transfer.

Harris caught one pass, his first target of the season, for 12 yards in the 22-21 loss against LSU last week. The tight end has been rarely used in the passing game during the last three seasons at Auburn.

"I want to thank the entire coaching staff for giving me the opportunity to play and graduate from one of the best universities in the nation," Harris said in his tweet. "I will always cherish the memories I had here and will truly miss all my teammates who have grown to become my brothers. I wish them all the best as I know they wish the same for me."

Harris caught four passes in his four-year career at Auburn, but never more than two in a single season. His 12-yard catch Saturday against LSU was a career long.

Harris is the fourth player to leave the team since August and the second to leave the program since the start of the season Sept. 1. Offensive lineman Tyler Carr and cornerback John Broussard Jr. left the team in August, and punter Aidan Marshall and Harris left the team after the second week of the season. Marshall left the team following a 63-9 win against Alabama State on Sept. 8.

He caught two passes for 16 yards and two touchdowns in 2016, including a last-second Wildcat touchdown pass from running back Kerryon Johnson in a loss to Oklahoma in the AllState Sugar Bowl. He caught one pass for five yards in 2017.

Harris' primary backup is redshirt freshman John Samuel Shenker, who figures to be bumped up to starter, though the Tigers could go with a larger lineup with Tucker Brown at tight end. Brown previously played tight end before moving to center and has been utilized as a sixth lineman in jumbo packages and Auburn's Wildcat set this season.

Auburn has utilized H-Back Chandler Cox as more of a pass threat out of the backfield this season than in previous years. The senior has seven catches for 72 yards through three games. His career-high is eight catches, which was set in 2017.

The tight end has become a non-factor in Auburn's passing offense since the departure of C.J. Uzomah following the 2014 season. Uzomah caught 29 passes for 435 yards and seven touchdowns during a three-season span at Auburn, and was especially effective in the red zone for the Tigers during their run to an SEC title in 2013 and again during an 8-4 season in 2014.

Uzomah caught three touchdowns apiece in his final two seasons, which were coach Gus Malzahn's first two seasons as the Tigers' coach. He caught the game-winning touchdown pass against Mississippi State early in the 2013 season, when the Tigers broke a 10-game losing streak in the SEC.

Harris' farewell message included a "War Eagle" and a thank-you message to fans.

"I will miss it all, but at this point in my life I have to do what is best for me," he said.

No. 9 Auburn (2-1, 0-1 SEC) next hosts Arkansas (1-2) on Saturday. Kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m. CT on the SEC Network.

Can't blame him. His clock is running out and wants to show what he can do for the scouts. He's got about as good measurables as you'll find for a TE so he will get a look if he lands in the right system. I wish him well. He's probably considered transferring for a while now but felt it's now or never, especially with these red shirt rules. 

10 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

who lied to him and what lie did they tell him?

If I remember per the al.com article, they said he’d be a hybrid of lutz and I think some other receiver. Basically saying he’d be a primary receiving threat, not a blocking HBack 99% of the time. 

He'd fit in real well at Stanford, Wisconsin or any other Big 10 school along with a few others. God Bless him and War Eagle, Jalen. 

We are very thin at TE with Jalen and Sal. Now Jalen wants to red-shirt this year then transfer out in 2019. Seems like he's placing us behind the 8 ball.

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

How we get any talented TEs to sign with us at all is a mystery to me tbh

Jalen Harris was pretty low rated. WE REALLY struggled getting TE that were decently rated till this class. Luke Deal and Tyler Fromm are the real deal and I hope we do not waste them buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut......................... I mean come on. We all know Gus will.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Jalen Harris was pretty low rated. WE REALLY struggled getting TE that were decently rated till this class. Luke Deal and Tyler Fromm are the real deal and I hope we do not waste them buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut......................... I mean come on. We all know Gus will.

You're right. I forgot he was a 3*. But yeah I was going to mention Deal and Fromm but I decided against speaking their inevitable underutilization into existence lol. 

I mean Sal has a TD this year so that's at least a start... Right? RIGHT???? 

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

You're right. I forgot he was a 3*. But yeah I was going to mention Deal and Fromm but I decided against speaking their inevitable underutilization into existence lol. 

Gus could have Aaron Rodgers and 07 Randy Moss at QB and WR and he would still insist on being a run first team. IF THERE WAS A EVER A YEAR to throw the ball all over the yard this is it!!!!! this team looks to be a lot better at pass pro than road graders AND the best players we have on offense are at the QB and WR position. BUT NOOOO!!! keep on trying to fit that square peg in a round hole gustav!! lol

3 minutes ago, Tiger said:

O also random but I miss Kyle Davis THE PLAYER. He was going to be our big bodied explosive WR. NCM just cannot get open at this level and is not the uber athlete Kyle Davis was. Just been wanting to say this for awhile but kept forgetting! lol

15 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

We are very thin at TE with Jalen and Sal. Now Jalen wants to red-shirt this year then transfer out in 2019. Seems like he's placing us behind the 8 ball.

Impossible. Gus left him out of the rack.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

O also random but I miss Kyle Davis THE PLAYER. He was going to be our big bodied explosive WR. NCM just cannot get open at this level and is not the uber athlete Kyle Davis was. Just been wanting to say this for awhile but kept forgetting! lol

It's my fault. He was my man crush last year. :( 

Well. I don't really blame him. He got his one pass for the year in the LSU game. There was nothing  more for him to look forward to!

Archived