Where do you stand with Gus?

auburnphan

Where are you at with Gus?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Our base seems to be divided on Gus and the offense. Where do you stand?

• Get rid of Gus he is in over his head
    • Gus is doing a good job, but we need a dual threat QB to run his offense
    • Gus is doing a good job, but we will never get to the next level running his offense and a new offense is needed
    • Everything is perfect as is

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Strychnine said:

With the talent that can be stockpiled at LSU, it is the kind of place where I think failure requires effort.  Saban built a machine there, and Miles maintained it rather well.  Had Saban returned there, LSU would probably be what Alabama is today.  Armed with some good lessons on what not to do, I think it is Orgeron's Shangri-La.

Shangri, LA.........is that near Grand Isle, LA?......?

7 hours ago, Tiger said:

Gus will never give an OC the freedom he, himself, was so desperately was seeking when he was an OC. When everyone was in his corner pleading for Chizik to let Gus loose, or when Arky fans were begging for Nutt to let Gus do his thing he said "screw this" and bolted when he wasn't given free reign.

This aspect of it makes all of this even more maddening to me. The hypocrisy is a joke. He knows first hand what it's like to have the shackles on you as an OC. 

This exactly what I said. You would think he of all people would understand 

I'm still in the "hire a stripper on university  money so we can fire with cause and no payout" camp. 

We have a JV level WR coach,  an OC gus groomed and was a previous yes man/JV OC, garbage line play, who knows if it's coaching or recruiting at this point, and a HC who things he is gods gift to football meddling in the O.

Major HS programs run more complex passing concepts than gus. Hell, many HS run entire Os with complexity than ol' Gus. 

But we're stuck with him after yet another phenomenal JJ contract negotiation, maybe someone will bonk him in the head one good time, he will forget everything about O and hire a real coordinator and staff. 

14 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Gus is the most successful coach Auburn has ever had. 

Who else would we get that would be any better?

He is 2-3 against the best coach in football.

And 0-2 vs Orgeron. The maddening inconsistency of Gus.

24 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

I'm still in the "hire a stripper on university  money so we can fire with cause and no payout" camp. 

We have a JV level WR coach,  an OC gus groomed and was a previous yes man/JV OC, garbage line play, who knows if it's coaching or recruiting at this point, and a HC who things he is gods gift to football meddling in the O.

Major HS programs run more complex passing concepts than gus. Hell, many HS run entire Os with complexity than ol' Gus. 

But we're stuck with him after yet another phenomenal JJ contract negotiation, maybe someone will bonk him in the head one good time, he will forget everything about O and hire a real coordinator and staff. 

Get outta here with that crap! 

20 minutes ago, CR said:

And 0-2 vs Orgeron. The maddening inconsistency of Gus.

And 1-2 against Kirby. So basically a losing record against all the quality teams in the SEC. 

And I know people are going to ask who would you use to replace Gus. If I had my pick , I would go after Dave Aranda at LSU. Very intelligent guy, strong defensive back ground, young and discipline. I would also be interested in someone like Mike Norvell out of Memphis but supposedly he is has some deep dark skeletons. Of course these guys wouldn’t be making 7 mil per year as they are fresh and new. 

20 hours ago, Tiger said:

Gus will never give an OC the freedom he, himself, was so desperately was seeking when he was an OC. When everyone was in his corner pleading for Chizik to let Gus loose, or when Arky fans were begging for Nutt to let Gus do his thing he said "screw this" and bolted when he wasn't given free reign.

This aspect of it makes all of this even more maddening to me. The hypocrisy is a joke. He knows first hand what it's like to have the shackles on you as an OC. 

For better or worse, I suspect the lesson he took from his experiences is to not hire an offensive coordinator with a different philosophy, so there is no need for shackling.

16 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

Sorry but that sounds like the stuff I used to hear on 680 the fan or 790 the zone back in my Atlanta days during the Ray Goff years from GA fans.

Friends don't let friends be like GA fans.  C'mon, you're better than that.

On 9/25/2018 at 11:07 AM, aubiefifty said:

i hate having to wade through the bash gus threads

Pretty sure the guy who starts the "Mr. Bigbird" thread has no room to complain.

ZFsoKxm.gif?noredirect

1 hour ago, The Freak said:

Pretty sure the guy who starts the "Mr. Bigbird" thread has no room to complain.

ZFsoKxm.gif?noredirect

well gosh thanks so much for your insight and judgements. in several years i am pretty sure there have only been two bird posts. but of course the gus bashers post hundreds of remarks that are basically the same ol tired anti gus remarks. not sure how you feel these are equal but your stupidity is showing. go eat a snickers bar or go pick another fight with someone else you big brute you.

On 9/26/2018 at 2:58 PM, AUsince72 said:

Sorry but that sounds like the stuff I used to hear on 680 the fan or 790 the zone back in my Atlanta days during the Ray Goff years from GA fans.

Friends don't let friends be like GA fans.  C'mon, you're better than that.

Ok, I guess the stripper part was a little much, don't wanna be like a rebellandbearshark. 

I stand by the rest. There really is no argument against the rest. 

On 9/26/2018 at 5:09 PM, aubiefifty said:

well gosh thanks so much for your insight and judgements. in several years i am pretty sure there have only been two bird posts. but of course the gus bashers post hundreds of remarks that are basically the same ol tired anti gus remarks. not sure how you feel these are equal but your stupidity is showing. go eat a snickers bar or go pick another fight with someone else you big brute you.

I’d love a Snickers right now...

12 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

I’d love a Snickers right now...

bring me a joint and i will see what i can do...............

I stand firmly with Gus. He's the Auburn Head Coach and will continue to be for several more years, like it or lump it. If/when he leaves, I'll support our next head coach as long as he holds the position.

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

I stand firmly with Gus. He's the Auburn Head Coach and will continue to be for several more years, like it or lump it. If/when he leaves, I'll support our next head coach as long as he holds the position.

You trying to steal my man crush @Mikey? ??? Honestly, I feel the same as you. I'm so tired of knee-jerk reactions in this age of immediate gratification.  It leads to a nation of unhappy people. And we forget all that we have to be proud of. 

16 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

You trying to steal my man crush @Mikey? ??? Honestly, I feel the same as you. I'm so tired of knee-jerk reactions in this age of immediate gratification.  It leads to a nation of unhappy people. And we forget all that we have to be proud of. 

Haha what? Your man crush is part of the problem. Not the solution . Check his background.

Personally I enjoy average to mediocre football. I mean really who would want to watch consistently competent offensive football?? How boring would that be?? Averaging four losses a year really keeps ya grounded you know? Nobody likes an overachiever. It’s why I have pictures of Coach Barfield in my office and not Dye. Auburn just needs to stay in its lane and be happy with the occasional Birmingham Bowl championship.

With a dual threat QB, Gus is a first-rate OC. 

Gus is a pretty good HC, when not under pressure.

But when under pressure, HC Gus mostly loses big games.  The 2013 BCS National Championship game, the recent Clemson debacles, the last two games against LSU, the loss to UCF last year, and others.  He wins against good teams when he's not under pressure to protect a CFP berth (last year vs. UGA & UA).  But when he is in control of his own destiny (last year SEC Championship game), he usually loses the big game.

Our cross-state rival's HC has the exact opposite reputation.

5 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Sorry you two but you won’t find much of that here when things aren’t rosy. (And I mean realllllly rosy)One thread even had a comment that if you are ok with what we have, you are a loser.  Smh

On 9/25/2018 at 10:25 PM, DAG said:

And I know people are going to ask who would you use to replace Gus. If I had my pick , I would go after Dave Aranda at LSU. Very intelligent guy, strong defensive back ground, young and discipline. I would also be interested in someone like Mike Norvell out of Memphis but supposedly he is has some deep dark skeletons. Of course these guys wouldn’t be making 7 mil per year as they are fresh and new. 

Rumor around these parts(Memphis), Norvell has a gambling problem. 

Archived