Where do you stand with Gus?

auburnphan

Where are you at with Gus?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Our base seems to be divided on Gus and the offense. Where do you stand?

• Get rid of Gus he is in over his head
    • Gus is doing a good job, but we need a dual threat QB to run his offense
    • Gus is doing a good job, but we will never get to the next level running his offense and a new offense is needed
    • Everything is perfect as is

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don’t think what Freeze did should place him off limits as a coordinator.  As a head coach yes but not as a coordinator.   I can understand Briles because he covered up abuse by his players.  

25 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

I just don’t think what Freeze did should place him off limits as a coordinator.  As a head coach yes but not as a coordinator.   I can understand Briles because he covered up abuse by his players.  

Still would take his son. Crucify me.

43 minutes ago, auburnphan said:
1 hour ago, DAG said:

Still would take his son. Crucify me.

Just bring them all in!!    It is a non-issue for most, they have proven it.

If saban did it it would just further cement his god-dom. 

If Gus did it Crepea would quit Oregon and come back to Al.vomit just to give Gus a hard time. Plus that dude that investigated Urban so hard would open up one on Gus and ESPN would run an expose, etc.

10 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I'm with you.  Actually, I prefer a big time run offense over an air-raid offense anyway.  That's why 2013 was Heaven to me and I was my happiest when the I Formation with a QB under center was "real" football.  But you're right, I think most disagree with that today.

Man I love the I Formation, if I was a coach I would go all old school on peoples but and run it.

14 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Whose offense do we need?

A college/NFL capable one.  In all honesty I trust Gus to choose a good OC to install one.  Personally I want a Lane Kiffin type who can adjust his offense at all times and not be locked into a system.

23 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

A college/NFL capable one.  In all honesty I trust Gus to choose a good OC to install one.  Personally I want a Lane Kiffin type who can adjust his offense at all times and not be locked into a system.

You know that ship may have sailed but I would have no problem with that...........I always seem to pull for people that have been shat on............ever since the Former Rams QB I grew up watching and admired shat on Lane in the most humiliating way........I have pulled for Lane to succeed......well not while at bammer?............also why I have a soft spot for Coach O...........who if I am not mistaken was also shat on by Haden......which makes me wonder why I liked Haden so much as a kid.......Lane probably saved bama unfortunatley............what he did with the offense was short of amazing. 

10 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I do not envision Gus ever hiring an offensive coordinator that deviates much from his own philosophy.

12 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Gus is the most successful coach Auburn has ever had. 

Who else would we get that would be any better?

He is 2-3 against the best coach in football.

I think that I speak for most (at least a few haha) of us that loves Gus and want him to succeed.  We just keep hoping against hope that he'll find a dynamic OC and fully step back and let him run the O like he clearly let's CKS run the D.

Unfortunately, I guess that would be like a loving father having to watch a step dad raise his child their way.  Pretty melodramatic, I know, but it seems that strong in Gus to me.

13 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

He needs to stay. And get better. 

10 hours ago, kevon67 said:

You know that ship may have sailed but I would have no problem with that...........I always seem to pull for people that have been shat on............ever since the Former Rams QB I grew up watching and admired shat on Lane in the most humiliating way........I have pulled for Lane to succeed......well not while at bammer?............also why I have a soft spot for Coach O...........who if I am not mistaken was also shat on by Haden......which makes me wonder why I liked Haden so much as a kid.......Lane probably saved bama unfortunatley............what he did with the offense was short of amazing. 

I do not think I could consider either of them to be people that were shat on, or that Haden was solely responsible.  In Lane Kiffin's case, that was a decision made between Haden and USC's president, during an embarrassing loss.  His shenanigans at Tennessee meant karma already had a train heading in his direction.  His firing was certainly humiliating, but he earned it.

As for Ed Orgeron, I do not think he had a realistic chance of ever becoming the public face of a major football program in Los Angeles.  Three losing seasons at Ole Miss were the extent of his prior head coaching experience, and that is not the resume of the coach you want to hire to replace the one you just fired midseason.

16 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I climb on that wagon every year. I purposely stayed off the board most of the off season to get a fresh prespective.  I still bought into the hype by September 1.  I’m hopeless.  Ah, the ridged rod of reality hits about this time every year.

Could've cried. Decided to laugh. 

13 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Except for Shug, Dye, and Tubs.

Right now Gus is a place holder,unless he decides he wants to win a Natty and makes the necessary changes to win one.  There are not quality coaches available.  Bill Clark at UAB is a remote possibility but even then I would be uncomfortable hiring him.

Yaaaay.  Let's celebrate  losing like it's an accomplishment.  I know Gus appreciates it.

2 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I do not think I could consider either of them to be people that were shat on, or that Haden was solely responsible.  In Lane Kiffin's case, that was a decision made between Haden and USC's president, during an embarrassing loss.  His shenanigans at Tennessee meant karma already had a train heading in his direction.  His firing was certainly humiliating, but he earned it.

As for Ed Orgeron, I do not think he had a realistic chance of ever becoming the public face of a major football program in Los Angeles.  Three losing seasons at Ole Miss were the extent of his prior head coaching experience, and that is not the resume of the coach you want to hire to replace the one you just fired midseason.

True......I failed to remember Tenessee and karma.........still couldnt see myself making a coach walk home for not putting out.

Orgeron at Ole Miss I always felt were a result of the mess at Ole Miss at the time.........will certainly admit I could be wrong.

True.......Orgeron's lack of knowledge on Billabong Surf Boards and Santa Cruz Skateboards made him stickout like a sore thumb.

19 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I think that I speak for most (at least a few haha) of us that loves Gus and want him to succeed.  We just keep hoping against hope that he'll find a dynamic OC and fully step back and let him run the O like he clearly let's CKS run the D.

Unfortunately, I guess that would be like a loving father having to watch a step dad raise his child their way.  Pretty melodramatic, I know, but it seems that strong in Gus to me.

We have little choice but to hope for him to succeed, but I tend to think hoping Gus will hire a magical offensive coordinator is futile.  For better or worse, Gus' offense is why Auburn hired him, and he knows that.  Offense is his baby.  Someone may successfully give him some good ideas that he puts to use, but I do not see him ever stepping aside to let an offensive coordinator do whatever he wants to do.

8 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

True......I failed to remember Tenessee and karma.........still couldnt see myself making a coach walk home for not putting out.

Orgeron at Ole Miss I always felt were a result of the mess at Ole Miss at the time.........will certainly admit I could be wrong.

True.......Orgeron's lack of knowledge on Billabong Surf Boards and Santa Cruz Skateboards made him stickout like a sore thumb.

I have a feeling that there was a lot more that led to the timing and execution of Lane Kiffin's airport firing than simply an embarrassing loss at Arizona State, and I doubt any of us will ever get the full story.  Kiffin was still a multi-millionaire, it is not like they drove him out into the desert and forced him to walk back to civilization.

Ole Miss was certainly not built for success when Orgeron arrived, and he really did little to change that in his brief time there.  We have no way of knowing if someone else could have done better at the time.  That said, when you just fired a guy with a 28-15 record at the airport, hiring a guy with a 16-27 record to replace him would be difficult to rationalize under the best of circumstances.  Being a guy that so obviously is more at home at LSU than USC did not help his case either.  It worked out well for him, I would say.

About to make a bunch of assumptions here

Pros: clean program, good recruiter, stays out of the limelight, provides relevancy.

Cons: Strongwilled, questionable killer instinct, divisive personality (probably not his fault).

I like that we are relevant . I like that we pretty good recruiting classes. I like that majority of our players are stand up guys. However, there is something that strikes me with Gus going back to his Springdale. I don’t know what it is, but every where he goes, he is either in some sort of internal conflict or there is a divide about him and I can’t understand why. It was like this with the Springdale 5, when he went to Arkansas, when he left Arkansas state, when he originally left auburn to go to Arkansas state and now back at Auburn. It tends to follow him quietly.

Another thing that strikes me about Gus is he doesn’t seem to want to hire someone from the offensive end who will challenge him in his thinking. Like a veteran coach. Personally, I don’t think Gus would ever hire a hugh freeze or an Art Briles as an OC just for that reason. Again, this goes back to his constant battles with Head coaches in his past. I am not saying, I am just saying. 

Last, he seems to be fine getting by. He doesn’t show fire when his team plays hard for 3/4s of a game instead a full 48. He seems like a perfectionist, but I just don’t see him demand excellence. As long as we are winning he is fine trucking along.

Otherwise, You have to be impressed with how CGM vaulted to an HC gig in such a short time span. He went from High school coach to NC runner up in less than a decade. That is reason enough for any high school head coach or potential young coach to want to pick his brain and see his method. He has grinded very hard to get to this position.

However, I think the Cons that I am assuming upon him will keep him from being great. Okay , you guys can destroy me now.

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Another thing that strikes me about Gus is he doesn’t seem to want to hire someone from the offensive end who will challenge him in his thinking.

This is my biggest issue right now. People have claimed it was the case for years, but I didn't think we had enough evidence to make that call. Well, here we are. The whole on offense is, yet again, less than the sum of its parts. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This is my biggest issue right now. People have claimed it was the case for years, but I didn't think we had enough evidence to make that call. Well, here we are. The whole on offense is, yet again, less than the sum of its parts. 

And you know if this was the case that’s fine , but I would rather him say , this is my offense and this is how I am going to run it..then live or die by it. If it crashes, then it’s on you. This offense is like a weird hybrid of Lindsey and Gus.

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

And you know if this was the case that’s fine , but I would rather him say , this is my offense and this is how I am going to run

I wouldn't have an issue with his stubborn unwillingess to change, but the biggest issue seems that he's not recruiting the right players to run HIS offense. I don't see why he's recruting pocket passing QB's, knowing good and well that he needs his QB's to be able to run for his offense to work at maximum effectiveness. He should also avoid signing small-scat backs like Kam because he won't adjust his offense to their strengths. Instead he ends up trying out a bunch of different guys and usually settles on the 6ft+, 215+ lbs guy.

I'd also say he should avoid signing bigger wide receivers because he usually throws to the smaller, quicker wideouts via quick screens. NCM was big and was turned into a glorified run blocker. Sadly, Seth Williams might be the next one. 

If he's going to stay stubborn and unwilling to hand over the offensive reigns, then at a minimum he should recruit the correct players for his system.  

I am very concerned bluechip Bo Nix is going to be showing the same visible signs of frustration that we're seeing from Stidham right now. 

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

And you know if this was the case that’s fine , but I would rather him say , this is my offense and this is how I am going to run it..then live or die by it. If it crashes, then it’s on you. This offense is like a weird hybrid of Lindsey and Gus.

I've read a few posters say, and I'm starting to agree, maybe it's time for Gus just to go full blown Spurrier again and BE the OC.  Promote/hire a solid guy to help with the "CEO" portion of things and just run HIS Offense the way HE wants it... period.

Because otherwise, this seems to be Nallsminger all over again.

2 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

I don't see why he's recruting pocket passing QB's, knowing good and well that he needs his QB's to be able to run for his offense to work at maximum effectiveness. 

I've been banging that drum for 3 years now.

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

i would bet my last dollar that gus wants to be everything we want him to be and more. i hope he succeeds. i hate having to wade through the bash gus threads because he is not going anywhere and the remarks are not productive. they get old and repetitive. and i understand the frustration as well as anyone. i think part of the problem is saban wins every year and makes it seem easy which it really is not.

Archived