Where do you stand with Gus?

auburnphan

Where are you at with Gus?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Our base seems to be divided on Gus and the offense. Where do you stand?

• Get rid of Gus he is in over his head
    • Gus is doing a good job, but we need a dual threat QB to run his offense
    • Gus is doing a good job, but we will never get to the next level running his offense and a new offense is needed
    • Everything is perfect as is

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goes back when he hired Herb Hand after he was released from Penn State. Little recruiting for quality line prospects plus Hand not a teaching coach whereas Grimes is a great technique coach. Like the old saying, “ can’t make chicken salad outta chicken _ _ _ _”!

5 minutes ago, auburnalum1974 said:

Forget renovations save to buyout his contract!

Once again, the contract extension was a horrifically stupid move. We need renovations, and we've basically cornered ourselves into a situation where we either can't afford to make renovations or are stuck with this mess for three more years. Stupid stupid stupid.

Those who defend GUS performance ....... you are delusional. 

I haven’t read anything but every time  I post something about GUS someone tries to check me . 

If you haven’t changed your mind after this game, then you really need to pump the brakes . 

WHAT GUS is doing is not working !!!!!!!!! Offense looks like straight S$!!$$$$)$$. 

What I get ... GUS is a offensive Guru he is tough on them . Hahahahaha yeah that offense sure does look tough doesn’t it ???? 

Gus demeanor- soft 

Steele - hard 

answer the the difference between our offense and defense. 

9 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

I needed a good laugh.........and describes how I feel perfectly at the moment.

Me, too, Kevon...PERFECT gif.  Is it time for an Auburn Lookalikes thread?  (Shame on me...back to grading papers...)

On 9/28/2018 at 11:43 PM, OnthePlains said:

Mikey is the patron saint of lost causes.

My lost cause has a 4-1 record this season and his team is in the top ten. Proof of the puddin' is in the eatin' as they say.

21 hours ago, NCTiger1982 said:

How many successful HCs CONSISTENTLY have problems on the side of the ball they cut their teeth on ? I am asking because I can't think of any. 

I can't either. Auburn's 2017 offense was one of the best in school history and the last time Stat posted such numbers, most of the top ten offenses in Auburn's 100+ year history came with Gus as either the OC or head coach. So no, I can't think of a head coach that consistently has problems on his side of the ball.

-25 respect points because he didn’t come into the press conference absolutely pissed off

-25 not demanding Harrell and Horton get benched to send a message

-25 not benching Stidham or at least chewing his ass out about basic qb fundamentals

-25 for not firing JB Grimes on the spot and for hiring him in the first place. Terrible recruiter, him and Hand’s inability to recruit has left us with this poop show. Better offensive line play and we’re 5-0 looking like a Championship team.

-25 for not moving heaven and earth to keep Holland here by doing the due diligence to see if it was worth him leaving. He went undrafted and now we have very little pass rush without blitzing. Our defense is amazing but imagine if we still had Holland... I bet we beat Washington by more and we stop LSU on that final drive.

Still 4-1 . As long as he keeps winning , it is hard to argue at this point. However, it is going to be interesting to be interesting from here on out 

I will say, at this moment, I am hardly dissapointed in this offense and I am fearful that now we are back to how things were pre UGA last year. 

43 minutes ago, DAG said:

Still 4-1 . As long as he keeps winning , it is hard to argue at this point. However, it is going to be interesting to be interesting from here on out 

Auburn could very well still only have 1 loss heading into Athens.  After yesterday I’m not sure Miss State or Tamu aren’t on par with Auburn so those games could go either way.  UGA and Bama will expose this team.  Bama could get real ugly.

3 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Auburn could very well still only have 1 loss heading into Athens.  After yesterday I’m not sure Miss State or Tamu aren’t on par with Auburn so those games could go either way.  UGA and Bama will expose this team.  Bama could get real ugly.

Gus probably has the secret to a successful offense but doesn’t want to show until uga/bama.

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

Gus probably has the secret to a successful offense but doesn’t want to show until uga/bama.

Maybe another Oline he’s been secretly training behind a locked door somewhere?

8 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Hope I’m wrong but I think we split MSU and Tamu. Win the rest up until uga although if we can’t generate a better pass ruch to help our secondary the OM game could be scary. Then we’ll take our thumpings to uga and the idiots and finish 8-4, lose the bowl gam, and the pumpers will tell us it was a good year. Next year....rinse and repeat...

44 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Are you being sarcastic?

If you recall the CHIP HIRE was forced on Gus by JJ to get heat off his arse for another dismal year. JJ was forcing Gus' hand to improve our O since Gus would not get rid of his boy RL. Chip said time and time again after big wins last year he was going against our past tendencies : Gus' predictable play calling. Gus should have been happy and embarrassed at the same time with Chip's success last year showing just how predictable he & RL were !  How could Gus NOT LEARN anything from what happened last year ?  Does he have the will and determination to grow as a HC ? What is Gus doing to improve his performance as a HC ? 

The next step is to see how talented Chip is and can he grow at his position ? In all fairness to Chip it is hard to show much of anything with this OL. That said, can we not          attempt a slant across the middle to Sasquatch Sal during some of the jailbreaks racing toward Stidham ?  I mean is it riskier than a small Kam running into a wall time after time ?    

As I indicated before we have SEC caliber coaches on the D side, but our O staff could NOT BUY a GIG with another power 5 conference team.   It starts with Gus and he has 3* caliber O coaches and that is what we are seeing play out on the field. 

I keep seeing stats thrown out about Gus and all the O records he has broken at Auburn. His stats are nothing more than lipstick on a pig given his body of work. Gus literally sucks at the most important statistics of all : his win/loss record ! I don't like Danny Sherridan , but he said on multiple occasions if you want a great season every 5 years Gus is your man, but most Auburn people he knows are NOT OK with 7/8 wins per year. I don't think AU should be a HC-in-training stop and that is what JJ has done to us. Our new AD is our only hope at this point in my opinion and he won't be able to make a move for another 2-3 years when we make Gus highest paid mistake in Auburn history and one of the worst in college football history.     

2 hours ago, NCTiger1982 said:

If you recall the CHIP HIRE was forced on Gus by JJ to get heat off his arse for another dismal year. JJ was forcing Gus' hand to improve our O since Gus would not get rid of his boy RL. Chip said time and time again after big wins last year he was going against our past tendencies : Gus' predictable play calling. Gus should have been happy and embarrassed at the same time with Chip's success last year showing just how predictable he & RL were !  How could Gus NOT LEARN anything from what happened last year ?  Does he have the will and determination to grow as a HC ? What is Gus doing to improve his performance as a HC ? 

The next step is to see how talented Chip is and can he grow at his position ? In all fairness to Chip it is hard to show much of anything with this OL. That said, can we not          attempt a slant across the middle to Sasquatch Sal during some of the jailbreaks racing toward Stidham ?  I mean is it riskier than a small Kam running into a wall time after time ?    

As I indicated before we have SEC caliber coaches on the D side, but our O staff could NOT BUY a GIG with another power 5 conference team.   It starts with Gus and he has 3* caliber O coaches and that is what we are seeing play out on the field. 

I keep seeing stats thrown out about Gus and all the O records he has broken at Auburn. His stats are nothing more than lipstick on a pig given his body of work. Gus literally sucks at the most important statistics of all : his win/loss record ! I don't like Danny Sherridan , but he said on multiple occasions if you want a great season every 5 years Gus is your man, but most Auburn people he knows are NOT OK with 7/8 wins per year. I don't think AU should be a HC-in-training stop and that is what JJ has done to us. Our new AD is our only hope at this point in my opinion and he won't be able to make a move for another 2-3 years when we make Gus highest paid mistake in Auburn history and one of the worst in college football history.     

Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap

Admittedly, this year is not shaping up to be a great harvest of coaching candidates. So at LEAST we get to wait for a strong candidate to appear.

Archived