Where do you stand with Gus?

auburnphan

Where are you at with Gus?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Our base seems to be divided on Gus and the offense. Where do you stand?

• Get rid of Gus he is in over his head
    • Gus is doing a good job, but we need a dual threat QB to run his offense
    • Gus is doing a good job, but we will never get to the next level running his offense and a new offense is needed
    • Everything is perfect as is

7 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Those negative headlines write themselves.

I’m not really worried about the  headlines to be honest. 

8 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

In all seriousness, it is embarrassing enough that he might need to bring in a consultant

Bringing in consultants is a sign of maturity if you ask me. If Saban stuck to his ego, he wouldn’t have brought in  Peyton Manning,  Tom Herman, and several other collegiate and  NFL coaches. Saban is adapting. 

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't think it would be embarrassing at all, and I would have no problem if the consultant was any of those guys. What's embarrassing to me is a guy who was coaching high school 12 years ago and whose bosses in the college game have been Houston Nutt, Todd Graham and Gene Chizik thinking that he knows it all. 

This place would go in a frenzy if we bought any of those two just as consultants...remember some of us wanted younger Briles as the OC. If what the insiders said was true so did Gus..but it got shutdown!

10 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

In all seriousness, it is embarrassing enough that he might need to bring in a consultant, but it would be worse I think if said consultant were of the radioactive variety like those two.  Those negative headlines write themselves.

I think Gus probably wants Freeze/Briles on staff in some capacity - the SEC Commish Sankey axed that notion.  Saban tried to get Freeze on staff and Sankey said hell no.......So, I'd have to think he'd did the same if Gus wanted either guy.  Until the SEC give clearance, we won't see either on staff anywhere in the conference.  

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't think it would be embarrassing at all, and I would have no problem if the consultant was any of those guys. What's embarrassing to me is a guy who was coaching high school 12 years ago and whose bosses in the college game have been Houston Nutt, Todd Graham and Gene Chizik thinking that he knows it all. 

Assuming that is indeed true, and I have no difficulty believing it, there is no amount of consultants that can be hired to correct it.

Just now, keesler said:

I think Gus probably wants Freeze/Briles on staff in some capacity - the SEC Commish Sankey axed that notion.  Saban tried to get Freeze on staff and Sankey said hell no.......So, I'd have to think he'd did the same if Gus wanted either guy.  Until the SEC give clearance, we won't see either on staff anywhere in the conference.  

Yep i think you are exactly right tbh..could you imagine Saban with Hugh freeze?!

Is there an "other" option? I need a "I'm not sure how I feel about Gus because we are consistently in position to make the CFP in Novemeber, but we tend to lose huge games, except we won two huge games last season and he did take us to a national championship and just won an SEC West title but we lose games we're not supposed to but I don't wanna go another 3 years before we are relevant again when we at least have some sort of shot to win a title every year with Gus, and I don't know so I need a beer" option. 

Just now, DAG said:

Yep i think you are exactly right tbh..could you imagine Saban with Hugh freeze?!

I saw what a "toxic" Lane Kiffin did over there while the scathing headlines and the entire country laughed their asses off when he was hired.  Now they have some random OC no one's ever heard of.

You have to be able to muli-task at uat.  Their OC is basically managing 2 squads on offense right now- they're running 1st/2nd string almost equal in most games.  Two squads of QB/RB/WR/TE and the oline changes out in the second half often.

13 minutes ago, keesler said:

Gus doesn’t have to formally hire them. He’s friends with Briles and Freeze though and both have credibility as offensive play callers. He needs someone to look over his film and say “this is what you should do.” Our own offensive assistants are undoubtably muted, so someone has to get to him. 

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

I saw what a "toxic" Lane Kiffin did over there while the scathing headlines and the entire country laughed their asses off when he was hired.  Now they have some random OC no one's ever heard of.

You have to be able to muli-task at uat.  Their OC is basically managing 2 squads on offense right now- they're running 1st/2nd string almost equal in most games.  Two squads of QB/RB/WR/TE and the oline changes out in the second half often.

Oh yes. The Lane Kiffen experiment that every one said wouldn’t work. A few successful seasons later..we all can dream. Just really disappointed in the direction of this offense. So we will see what is in store this weekend.

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I have to tell you, when you fall off the sunshine wagon, you fall hard.

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

Now they have some random OC no one's ever heard of.

He’s doing a damn good job though and the offense is updated. They have some very nice RPO designs that work to Tua’s strengths.

15 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Is there an "other" option? I need a "I'm not sure how I feel about Gus because we are consistently in position to make the CFP in Novemeber, but we tend to lose huge games, except we won two huge games last season and he did take us to a national championship and just won an SEC West title but we lose games we're not supposed to but I don't wanna go another 3 years before we are relevant again when we at least have some sort of shot to win a title every year with Gus, and I don't know so I need a beer" option. 

8JIQ3-.gif

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

This place would go in a frenzy if we bought any of those two just as consultants...remember some of us wanted younger Briles as the OC. If what the insiders said was true so did Gus..but it got shutdown!

Kendal is tearing it up at Houston this year. 

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Gus doesn’t have to formally hire them. He’s friends with Briles and Freeze though and both have credibility as offensive play callers. He needs someone to look over his film and say “this is what you should do.” Our own offensive assistants are undoubtably muted, so someone has to get to him. 

Heck, all they have to do is draw up some plays on a piece of paper and hand it to him.

That would be an improvement over what's been going on.

2 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Don’t look at their box scores. It’s not healthy!!!

PS: TDs for days in both the passing and run game ?

You should apologize for torturing that poor man with talk of TD's.

27 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

He’s doing a damn good job though and the offense is updated. They have some very nice RPO designs that work to Tua’s strengths.

Oh, he's doing a great job AND he's basically managing 2 offensive squads every weekend.  He has to draw up plays/schemes for two different QB/RB/WR/TE sets - he's multi-tasking like nobody's business.....albeit with the help of one of the best QB coaches in college ball, but they seem to be managing well and working together I suppose without too much input from the HC.

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I think that's almost ALL of our problem (as fans).

It's hard to ID what's going on so far...

True.......over the past few years its like watching my golf game when I was able to play...........right when my long game improves.......my short game lands in the toilet?

1 hour ago, Strychnine said:

Assuming that is indeed true, and I have no difficulty believing it, there is no amount of consultants that can be hired to correct it.

Yeah. Kinda like an ice cream cone can't taste good if you don't pick it up and eat it.

Clunky metaphor, I know. I just wanted to talk about something that makes people happy.

48 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I have to tell you, when you fall off the sunshine wagon, you fall hard.

Guilty. Symptom of telling everyone all summer long that it was gonna be different this year only to look like a fool.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. Kinda like an ice cream cone can't taste good if you don't pick it up and eat it.

Clunky metaphor, I know. I just wanted to talk about something that makes people happy.

Guilty. Symptom of telling everyone all summer long that it was gonna be different this year only to look like a fool.

How can this become a good Gus bashfest if you are going to sit there and talk about ice cream?  Do you not understand how this stuff works?

4 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

How can this become a good Gus bashfest if you are going to sit there and talk about ice cream?  Do you not understand how this stuff works?

I don't understand how many things work at all, really. :(

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I climb on that wagon every year. I purposely stayed off the board most of the off season to get a fresh prespective.  I still bought into the hype by September 1.  I’m hopeless.  Ah, the ridged rod of reality hits about this time every year.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

That made me happy.  I didn't even notice what else you said.

Archived