Terri Schiavo dies

channonc

Link

No matter how you feel about her death, I think its time for us to step back, and let the family (including her husband) mourn her in private.

Link

No matter how you feel about her death, I think its time for us to step back, and let the family (including her husband) mourn her in private.

153590[/snapback]

Agreed.

I do think this is really sad and rather sorry of Mr. Schiavo:

Brother Paul O’Donnell, an adviser to Schiavo’s parents, said the parents and their two other children “were denied access at the moment of her death. They’ve been requesting, as you know, for the last hour to try to be in there and they were denied access by Michael Schiavo. They are in there now, praying at her bedside.”

I know there are a lot of hard feelings, but as a human being, he shouldn't have kept them away from her side at the time of death. That's just vindictive to me.

Brother Paul O’Donnell, an adviser to Schiavo’s parents, said the parents and their two other children “were denied access at the moment of her death. They’ve been requesting, as you know, for the last hour to try to be in there and they were denied access by Michael Schiavo. They are in there now, praying at her bedside.”

I know there are a lot of hard feelings, but as a human being, he shouldn't have kept them away from her side at the time of death. That's just vindictive to me.

153596[/snapback]

If indeed this was the case. A lot of stuff has been said about him that just wasn't true - I will probably reserve judgement until this is confirmed by someone other than their family priest. If it is true, then shame on him - I have not been the parent's biggest fan, but there should have been a truce declared at her last moments. She was their daughter.

153596[/snapback]

If indeed this was the case. A lot of stuff has been said about him that just wasn't true - I will probably reserve judgement until this is confirmed by someone other than their family priest. If it is true, then shame on him - I have not been the parent's biggest fan, but there should have been a truce declared at her last moments. She was their daughter.

153607[/snapback]

I agree completely Jenny. I just hope eventually both sides will have peace over her death.

I havent really followed the case too much. How did she become brain damaged? She was a very good looking woman in many of her pictures from years ago.

I havent really followed the case too much. How did she become brain damaged? She was a very good looking woman in many of her pictures from years ago.

153624[/snapback]

Heart attack due to chemical imbalance caused by bulemia. Decreased O2 to her brain during heart attack, so it was basically a stroke.

She had a heart attack in her 20s due to what some say was anorexia. (Although her parents say she never had an eating disorder). She did not get medical assistance quickly enough and was left in this persistant vegitative state.

She had a heart attack in her 20s due to what some say was anorexia. (Although her parents say she never had an eating disorder).  She did not get medical assistance quickly enough and was left in this persistant vegitative state.

153630[/snapback]

According to one report, the brain damage was caused by TEN MINUTES without oxygen. That will do it every time.

I feel the husband did not allow them in because they would have tried something foolish. THEY did not call a truce, THEY were still appealing to the courts AGIAN. I believe he felt it was time to let her go without any more craziness. But either way, it was his prerogative. This happens all the time, AND WE DON'T GIVE A RAT'S ASS ABOUT IT. So why now?

I feel the husband did not allow them in because they would have tried something foolish. THEY did not call a truce, THEY were still appealing to the courts AGIAN. I believe he felt it was time to let her go without any more craziness. But either way, it was his prerogative. This happens all the time, AND WE DON'T GIVE A RAT'S ASS ABOUT IT. So why now?

153634[/snapback]

Probably because in most cases, there aren't suspicions about the spouse's motives and questions as to whether she would really have wanted this.

Look, in principle, I'm on the side of Mr. Schiavo. I would want my wife to make the call and I would do the same for her. It's not for our respective families, Congress, or anyone else to mess with. But this particular case bothers me. I realize there have been a lot of wild accusations, many of which are unproven or unfounded, but the stuff that is verified is troubling enough. I don't have a good feeling about it. He just doesn't strike me as someone who is truly concerned first and foremost with Terri's wellbeing. Maybe I'm wrong on that. Shacking up with this other woman probably doesn't help my perception. But it just seems to me that he should have, long ago, signed over guardianship to her parents and let them pursue the physical therapy and other treatments rather than just letting her exist with a feeding tube and then trying to disconnect it. He just seems to eager or something.

153634[/snapback]

Probably because in most cases, there aren't suspicions about the spouse's motives and questions as to whether she would really have wanted this.

Look, in principle, I'm on the side of Mr. Schiavo. I would want my wife to make the call and I would do the same for her. It's not for our respective families, Congress, or anyone else to mess with. But this particular case bothers me. I realize there have been a lot of wild accusations, many of which are unproven or unfounded, but the stuff that is verified is troubling enough. I don't have a good feeling about it. He just doesn't strike me as someone who is truly concerned first and foremost with Terri's wellbeing. Maybe I'm wrong on that. Shacking up with this other woman probably doesn't help my perception. But it just seems to me that he should have, long ago, signed over guardianship to her parents and let them pursue the physical therapy and other treatments rather than just letting her exist with a feeding tube and then trying to disconnect it. He just seems to eager or something.

153646[/snapback]

I personally don't think waiting 10 years to try to remove the feeding tube eager.

153634[/snapback]

153646[/snapback]

I agree.

All those warm fuzzy feelings aside, it is now being reported that her parents would like her to have a Catholic funeral and to be buried in Florida. Her "husband" on the other hand is demanding that she be cremated and buried in Philadelphia.

What motives does he have? According to the article, of the million dollars from the malpractice suit, there's only 40 or 50k left. After funeral (if he pays for any/all of it) and any legal loose ends to tie up it hardly seems like much motive to me.

I side with the parents on this one. There have been ex-girlfriends of Mr. ******** that have said he was possessive and stalked them after they broke up.

Besides, in 1990 or whenever he claims she told him she did not want to be kept alive, what 25 year old thinks about being on life support??? NO ONE.

What would have given her reason to just bust out and say "I do not want to be kept alive artificially"? That's crazy! It's all BS...

There was even a nurse that talked wiht Mr. ******** in the 90's and he was asking the nurse what he should do...The nurse said Mr. Youknowwhat told her that he never discussed life support or anything pertaining to it with Terri...

And in 1993, 3 years after Terri collapsed, he admitted to already have two LENGTHY relationships with two different women...

He is a LOSER!

Be careful with the language, Woods. TA

I personally don't think waiting 10 years to try to remove the feeding tube eager.

Well, initially, it was the falling out after the malpractice award that started the curious behavior on Mr. Schiavo's part. The parent's wanted to follow the advice of some doctors at the time that said she had a chance of improvement with a physical therapy regimen and some other treatments. Michael insisted only on basic care. This was in 1993. Michael claims it was about them wanting money. The family claims it was over how the money would be spent on Terri's care.

This timeline gives a brief synopsis:

http://www.miami.edu/ethics2/schiavo/timeline.htm

This one, admittedly biased, does mention that Schiavo started his efforts down the road of hastening Terri's death back in 1993, shortly after winning the malpractice award when he had a DNR order added to her chart and ordered doctors not to treat a potentially deadly infection:

http://www.terrisfight.org/timeline.html

What motives does he have? According to the article, of the million dollars from the malpractice suit, there's only 40 or 50k left. After funeral (if he pays for any/all of it) and any legal loose ends to tie up it hardly seems like much motive to me.

153658[/snapback]

Well, the one of the court appointed guardians that on the one hand agreed with Michael and other doctors that Terri was in a persistent vegetative state also said he believed Michael's "decision-making may be influenced by the potential to inherit the remainder of Terri Schaivo's estate"

http://www.miami.edu/ethics2/schiavo/timeline.htm (See December 1998)

Seven years ago, I'll venture to guess there was more than $40 or 50k left.

153676[/snapback]

Okay, but once the $$ all but ran out, if he were in it for the money, wouldn't he have just dropped out??? He obviously doesn't care what people think about him, since he has a live in with two children. Maybe his motives were sincere?

GET A LIVING WILL, PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :no:

What would have given her reason to just bust out and say "I do not want to be kept alive artificially"? That's crazy! It's all BS...

His story has been that they saw a movie where a character was in a coma and she said she never wanted to be kept alive like that.

His story has been that saw a movie where a character was in a coma and she said she never wanted to be kept alive like that.

153678[/snapback]

Maybe I'm morbid, but I signed my first Living Will at age 23, after I married.

153676[/snapback]

Okay, but once the $$ all but ran out, if he were in it for the money, wouldn't he have just dropped out??? He obviously doesn't care what people think about him, since he has a live in with two children. Maybe his motives were sincere?

153677[/snapback]

Well, $40k is still nothing to sneeze at. And I'm not saying there isn't the possibility that he's sincere...I just don't think the preponderance of the evidence leads one to think he's sincere. At least it doesn't lead me to believe that.

Again, I'm not some wild-eyed zealot that thinks people should be kept alive articifially no matter what. In principle, I agree that this is the spouse's decision to make in the absence of a living will. But this particular case has too many suspicious actions on Mr. Schiavo's part and I simply don't believe him.

153676[/snapback]

153677[/snapback]

Well, $40k is still nothing to sneeze at. And I'm not saying there isn't the possibility that he's sincere...I just don't think the preponderance of the evidence leads one to think he's sincere. At least it doesn't lead me to believe that.

Again, I'm not some wild-eyed zealot that thinks people should be kept alive articifially no matter what. In principle, I agree that this is the spouse's decision to make in the absence of a living will. But this particular case has too many suspicious actions on Mr. Schiavo's part and I simply don't believe him.

153684[/snapback]

I know how you feel - this whole time, I have felt that way about BOTH sides - all of them making an absolute mockery of this woman's dignity and turning this into a media circus. If I were Teri, I would get special permission to come back and haunt them both for a year for doing this to me. There is no right or wrong here, only shades of spin. And now her parents have SOLD the list of people who donated to their cause to a right wing anti-abortion group. Unreal. So neither side has much moral ground to stand on.

I know how you feel - this whole time, I have felt that way about BOTH sides - all of them making an absolute mockery of this woman's dignity and turning this into a media circus.  If I were Teri, I would get special permission to come back and haunt them both for a year for doing this to me.  There is no right or wrong here, only shades of spin.  And now her parents have SOLD the list of people who donated to their cause to a right wing anti-abortion group.  Unreal.  So neither side has much moral ground to stand on.

153690[/snapback]

Yes. And my feelings on this matter are separated from the parents and any of their actions. I don't buy into all of their actions being the right course of action either. The only thing I will commend them for is that of all the people involved, they have been the ones to consistently and persistenly take care of her, be by her bedside, talk to her, fight for therapy, etc. Frankly, I'm surprised Michael didn't just sign over the rights to them years ago and be done with it. He got his $300k. All that would have been at stake was the $750k or so that went to Terri for her care.

All I've got to say is that this is going to be the most looked-at autopsy since JFK.

Look guys, Schiavo could have moved on a long time ago about all this. He has a horrible track record in his personal life that we will hear in nauseating detail very soon.

The Schindlers just wanted a piece of their baby girl. Nothing more. He wanted her gone while he was still the husband. Why he didnt divorce her years ago I have no idea. He obviously had or has other motives.

They want her to have a Catholic funeral. She was Catholic. Schiavo says no way that she will be cremated and scattered across PA where the Schindlers live no more. Why can he not show them one bit of mercy?

One sure bet... There are several book deals and movie options being played out even now. We are a long long way from the end of this sad story.

Y'know, under the circumstances, it makes perfect sense to me why the husband wouldn't want the parents in there at the end.

It seems to me the Schindlers got a bit addicted to the spotlight. They couldn't go a day without having a new press conference, can't even grieve without telling the world all about it. There's something wrong with people like that. If I'm grieving, I want the press and every other busybody to stay the heck out of my face, I sure don't go inviting them to put their oar in during my darkest hour.

It was poorly done all around, and I for one am glad it's over.

Terri is with God now. I'd say rest in peace, except it seems to me she left us long ago.

Archived