Fire Gus (merged threads)

AuburnTiger4Life

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Ok.  I was at a traffic light and couldn't elaborate earlier.

1. Too expensive given Malzahn’s buyout. (e.g., Stoops).  BS.  The money is there.  Would we rather not spent that much?  Yes.  But the cost of inaction is becoming increasingly too high.

2. Unproven as head coaches, and likely to be a huge downgrade from Gus. (e.g., Aranda; Venables). Mostly BS.  Unproven?  Perhaps.  So was Smart.  Every head coach is unproven until someone gives him a chance.  Likely a huge downgrade?  Not sure how one can say that with a straight face at this point.

3. Guys who have looked mediocre up to this point in their current jobs. (e.g., Campbell). BS.  None of the ones I've named look mediocre.  Earlier he said Cristobal was "meh" so far at Oregon.  In what universe?

4.  Not a fit for Auburn in terms of values, thus unlikely to be embraced by the fan base (e.g., Kiffin). BS.  At this point, Auburn fans are tired of nice guys who don't cuss and go 8-5.  I'm not saying we have to hire Satan himself, but at this point I just want someone who will win, not embarrass us and not get us on probation.

Thanks, Titan!  You posted my mind, even more articulately!  Kirby Smart's "un-provenness" was brought up when he WAS available.  Ahem.  20/20.

I don't buy the "there's no one else who'll take Auburn" mentality.  I don't buy "there's no one out there who can do it better."  I also don't buy the record of stats in an attempt to convince that "no other coach has taken us here."  Perception is huge, and losing the games we naturally expect to be able to win cripples the drive and the morale it will take to win the games we need everything in our power TO win.

I also don't buy that we can't get a Creed-honoring man of faith and commitment who is also humble enough to demand excellence of himself and work on his weaknesses.  As a woman of faith, we kill our own commercials for Christ by refusing to adapt and grow when we need to.  Fruit does matter!   People keep saying that Dabo is being groomed for Alabama.  Dabo has the win-factor Auburn needs, but even more Dabo's own personal life would be a perfect fit for Auburn, so there's that...and I do believe, just one of many.  

Thank you for stating what you did.  In the light of all of the $$$$ on the table, we need something to cling to.  And I'd rather believe we have the money and can use it wisely rather than run around trying to pick up pieces of the sky.

Incidentally, I'd like someone to produce the stats that have resulted from the very day the Jumbotron was first placed in Jordan-Hare.  On that day, I remember thinking, "Now, every flaw is broadcast to the ends of the earth", and pride goeth that way too....

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

are we supposed to win the sec west every year??  

Gus has won it twice in  years, with 1 sec title over that time.  Now 6 years.  Ill take that in a division with lsu and bama.

I would get the complaining if we hadn't just won the secwest LAST YEAR.  You can't talk about firing a guy who just won the sec west in spectacular fashion.  

most people in the auburn family understand these thing.....this the sky is falling attitude after a couple bad games is typical of message board stuff.  

2 minutes ago, tacosman said:

are we supposed to win the sec west every year??  

Gus has won it twice in  years, with 1 sec title over that time.  Now 6 years.  Ill take that in a division with lsu and bama.

I would get the complaining if we hadn't just won the secwest LAST YEAR.  You can't talk about firing a guy who just won the sec west in spectacular fashion.  

most people in the auburn family understand these thing.....this the sky is falling attitude after a couple bad games is typical of message board stuff.  

Are you also known as @2010champs?

Y'all could have a great conversation together...

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

Only uat and UGA fans support Gus at this point. Let him play out the season and take the beatdowns he has coming and lighten the load on his buyout whenever the cutoff is. Heck, tell him he is still the coach but make sure his headset doesn’t work during games. 

I have a feeling there are a lot of schools hoping we hang onto him.

Obviously 2018 isn't going to be our year in the sec, but now maybe (if his stock has fallen a touch?) JS will come back next year rather than go pro early?  Another year in the system with Gus and chip and having more continuity with with the offensive line?  

think about it- a senior JS,  more experience along the offensive line, and the schedule flips again next year and we get UGA and Bama at home.  with some patience 2019 could shape up to be a really special year for JS, Gus, and Auburn

1 minute ago, tacosman said:

Obviously 2018 isn't going to be our year in the sec, but now maybe (if his stock has fallen a touch?) JS will come back next year rather than go pro early?  Another year in the system with Gus and chip and having more continuity with with the offensive line?  

think about it- a senior JS,  more experience along the offensive line, and the schedule flips again next year and we get UGA and Bama at home.  with some patience 2019 could shape up to be a really special year for JS, Gus, and Auburn

Hard pass on Stidham. Thanks for giving it at shot at AU though. Hype didn’t come close to reality unfortunately. 

4 minutes ago, tacosman said:

no I just joined today

And you sound identical to that poster who seems to have been run-off as an obvious troll.  That's why I asked....since you chose today, of all days, to join this forum and pump sunshine.

I'm a positive guy, I think most would tell you, but your posts seem more like trolling than someone who actually believes the stuff you're saying.

1 minute ago, jared52 said:

Hard pass on Stidham. Thanks for giving it at shot at AU though. Hype didn’t come close to reality unfortunately. 

and who would you suggest we play instead?  Stidham is going to be an nfl qb someday and he is already in our system.  If we are lucky we have him for another 20 or so games

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

And you sound identical to that poster who seems to have been run-off as an obvious troll.  That's why I asked....since you chose today, of all days, to join this forum and pump sunshine.

I'm a positive guy, I think most would tell you, but your posts seem more like trolling than someone who actually believes the stuff you're saying.

this doesn'is ake sense.  Am I frustrated by back to back losses?  Sure....but not overreacting is he opposite of trolling.  here is a thought- I best most of us loved Gus just 9 games or 10-11 months ago...right after the bama game.

If someone's opinion of a coach with an entire career's body of work has changed some dramatically in that time span, that is probably more a reflection of being too short sighted and in the moment than looking at the long picture.

7 minutes ago, tacosman said:

and who would you suggest we play instead?  Stidham is going to be an nfl qb someday and he is already in our system.  If we are lucky we have him for another 20 or so games

Stidham isn't going to be an NFL QB.  The NFL prefers QB that can hit a wide open receiver.

4 minutes ago, tacosman said:

this doesn'is ake sense.  Am I frustrated by back to back losses?  Sure....but not overreacting is he opposite of trolling.  here is a thought- I best most of us loved Gus just 9 games or 10-11 months ago...right after the bama game.

If someone's opinion of a coach with an entire career's body of work has changed some dramatically in that time span, that is probably more a reflection of being too short sighted and in the moment than looking at the long picture.

Please stop with the trolling. Are you trying to make the pain worse? Is that how you get your kicks?

14 minutes ago, tacosman said:

think about it- a senior JS

Speculation is that he’d transfer if he cannot get drafted. The tweet that his fiancée liked seems to provide even more credibility that there will be a split. 

2 minutes ago, constructiontiger said:

Stidham isn't going to be an NFL QB.  The NFL prefers QB that can hit a wide open receiver.

Im just reading what all the scouts say...it appears with these last couple games his stock has fallen a bit, but he's still getting a fairly good grade

To my one true love other than my wife, 

Dear Auburn,
     I am writing you this under extreme emotional breakdown. I have loved you tirelessly since I first saw you. That's what makes this so sad. You have brought so much joy to my life. We have definitely had our share of fights.... Who doesn't... But we always make up. This past 3 months have been extremely stressful on me and our relationship. Looking back I saw all the signs...I should've seen the change in you sooner. I know I'm no angel in this... And I have changed. We all do. Maybe my expectations for you were just to high. Maybe I tried to change you in to what I wanted you to be. I know I have faults in this too. I just feel that we aren't on the same page anymore. I just feel like you take her for granted because you know I'm always going to be there and say "it's ok it will get better" and in the past you have done that... But lately I say that but things continue to get worse. You tell me you know what you need to fix and you continue to let me down. You tell me your taking accountability but you continue in your stubborn ways. I'm just to the point where I think we should take a step back. I still love you and if course I love the kids..... Please tell them this isn't their fault.... And I'm not bad at them. But right now I have to do something that is best for me. I have to get healthy and you need to get help. I will still show up on weekends to see the kids...I just need more out of you. And until you can show me you are capable of change I think there are changes in this relationship that he's to be made. I think I need time to myself... During the week I don't think we should see each other. I'll still visit in the weekends and check on the kids via Social media... But that will be it for now. I need you to learn who you can count on and who you can't. I need you to quit the bad habits. I need you to make some changes in your life. There are some people you have surrounded yourself that are bad for you. You need to get with the right crowd. So with that said, I married you and we will work this out but you have to change. I just can't take the abuse and the constant disappointment right now. I'll always Love you. These are just things that needed to be said. 

12 minutes ago, tacosman said:

Im just reading what all the scouts say...it appears with these last couple games his stock has fallen a bit, but he's still getting a fairly good grade

Can you provide a link to a recent comment by an NFL scout who is proven to not be under the influence of any illegal or legal substances where he/she believes Jarrett Stidham to still be a legitimate NFL QB prospect?

18 minutes ago, tacosman said:

Seriously guy, with all due respect,  shut up. We've all heard this same song and dance before. The fact you're still in lala land with Gus says alot about your knowledge of football. And today of all days you come in here with this horse s***? Nobody's buying it.

2 hours ago, jared52 said:

Only uat and UGA fans support Gus at this point. Let him play out the season and take the beatdowns he has coming and lighten the load on his buyout whenever the cutoff is. Heck, tell him he is still the coach but make sure his headset doesn’t work during games. 

LSU fans too.

13 minutes ago, tacosman said:

That's the one thing that you're correct on. Most of us "Gus Bashers" ate crow, sent bouquets, and praised Gus for finally "turning the corner".  Then the SECCG & Peach Bowl happened so we CAUTIOUSLY hoped for a good season.  Game 1 gave us some hope.  Game 2 doesn't really count.  They've gone down hill every game since.  Not improved ...not stagnated .... actually have regressed.

Gus is toast.  He's lost the trust of almost everybody.  Even many Gus apologists are admitting he's done.

This is not knee-jerk after 7 games.  It's a pattern that's gone on for 4+ years.  So showing up now? ...today? ...pumping sunshine?

To quote from one of my favorite movies: "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."

mT5spv.gif

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

That's the one thing that you're correct on. Most of us "Gus Bashers" ate crow, sent bouquets, and praised Gus for finally "turning the corner".  Then the SECCG & Peach Bowl happened so we CAUTIOUSLY hoped for a good season.  Game 1 gave us some hope.  Game 2 doesn't really count.  They've gone down hill every game since.  Not improved ...not stagnated .... actually have regressed.

Gus is toast.  He's lost the trust of almost everybody.  Even many Gus apologists are admitting he's done.

This is not knee-jerk after 7 games.  It's a pattern that's gone on for 4+ years.  So showing up now? ...today? ...pumping sunshine?

To quote from one of my favorite movies: "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."

mT5spv.gif

Like isn’t strong enough for this. Post of the day.

At this point I have lost any excitement and expectations for this season. The only thing that will give me any hope or desire is to hear the news that a head coach and QB change has been made effective immediately! 

Archived