Fire Gus (merged threads)

AuburnTiger4Life

We saw LSU handle UGA today. UF and UK will give UGA all they want in the coming weeks. 

Why would beating them save his job now? 

This does remind me a lot of 2008 when Franklin basically lost his job mid season after losing to Vandy.  That's how poor we are playing right now. There really is no excuse given the resources and talent levels.  It all comes back to coaching.

The ONLY thing that could save Gus now is his ridiculous buyout, and that is a very sad statement.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here is my argument- Gus is going to be the coach at least through 2019 at a minimum.  Even if you feel he should be fired if he wasnt owed anything(and I don't), his buyout if he were to be fired is like 32 million right?  We arent going to pay that, and we shouldnt.  

So are the anti-gus fans going to stop going to games?  Boo more?  I just don't see how that helps the auburn we love

3 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

This is why paying his buyout won’t be out of the realm of possibilities. I don’t expect the university to foot the whole bill, but I’m sure the buyout is negotiable. 

why would gus negotiate the buyout?  Short of him doing something unethical or against the rules, he isnt going to give up any money.  

2 minutes ago, tacosman said:

here is my argument- Gus is going to be the coach at least through 2019 at a minimum.  Even if you feel he should be fired if he wasnt owed anything(and I don't), his buyout if he were to be fired is like 32 million right?  We arent going to pay that, and we shouldnt.  

So are the anti-gus fans going to stop going to games?  Boo more?  I just don't see how that helps the auburn we love

I would be surprised if many posting in this thread actually go to the games anyway. 

1 minute ago, tacosman said:

why would gus negotiate the buyout? Short of him doing something unethical or against the rules, he isnt going to give up any money.  

There are ways.  You could take away all his autonomy to hire offensive coaches and make him make certain hires, thus making staying untenable for him.  The buyout goes down each year by $7M.  You tell him he's gone and you're just going to wait to make it official by milking the clock to knock $7M off the price tag...or he could take a higher amount to go now and allow us to extend the payments out over a longer period.  Everything is negotiable. 

And I just read his contract and I assure you our AD can make his life miserable. If he and his family start getting the cold shoulder in town he will negotiate a buy out for less. But the buy out is 15 now and the rest over 4 years so it’s doable. We clear that every year in football revenue. Just means we might have to wait on some things. But this coaching will kill the recruiting if we don’t get rid of them.

1 minute ago, imaolgatiger said:

I would be surprised if many posting in this thread actually go to the games anyway. 

I don't have season tickets but I go to plenty of games.  I've stayed in Gus's corner for as long as I possibly can.  I've never been on the "Fire Gus" train.  Until now.  At some point you just have to come to grips with the fact that this is who he is as a coach and recruiter.  Since 2013, he's gone 8-5. 7-6, 8-5, 10-4 and is now looking at 6-6 or even 5-7.  He's just an 8-5 type coach and the occasions where we knock off a top ranked Bama or UGA and make a serious run for it all are the anomalies.  That's what his track record tells us.  He's not going to turn the corner.

The faster you come to terms with this, the easier it will be to see the way forward clearly.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

There are ways.  You could take away all his autonomy to hire offensive coaches and make him make certain hires, thus making staying untenable for him.  The buyout goes down each year by $7M.  You tell him he's gone and you're just going to wait to make it official by milking the clock to knock $7M off the price tag...or he could take a higher amount to go now and allow us to extend the payments out over a longer period.  Everything is negotiable. 

Interesting idea, especially because he'd be making seven figures at a lower tier school somewhere next year for sure.  

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

For the posters that are ready to fire Gus, what can Gus do to save his job? Our O did show some improvement today and our freshmen receivers are our best players other than Davis. Too little too late?

What if we upset Georgia? We could maintain our recruiting class by keeping Gusbus while avoiding paying buyout money. 

Too late. And there's no way he holds this class together. Things are snowballing and he can't stop them. The entire offensive staff are his handpicked choices and it's nothing short of a disaster.

7 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

eh tennessee was saying the same type of stuff on their board and they are ending up paying the whole buyout to butch.  The florida situation is obviously different and gus is not Mac.  And 'untenable'?   If you're being paid 7 million dollars that alone makes it pretty tenable.  

if gus is fired he's going to get all his money.  No point in settling for less and none of your above suggestions are realistic.

If auburn continues to go in this trajectory they have the last two games(and gosh lets hope not!) then AU is going to wait a little longer to at least get the buyout down to insanely high levels rather than 32 million.  He'll be the coach at least through 2019 season.

1 minute ago, tacosman said:

eh tennessee was saying the same type of stuff on their board and they are ending up paying the whole buyout to butch.  The florida situation is obviously different and gus is not Mac.  And 'untenable'?   If you're being paid 7 million dollars that alone makes it pretty tenable.  

if gus is fired he's going to get all his money.  No point in settling for less and none of your above suggestions are realistic.

If auburn continues to go in this trajectory they have the last two games(and gosh lets hope not!) then AU is going to wait a little longer to at least get the buyout down to insanely high levels rather than 32 million.  He'll be the coach at least through 2019 season.

He might be.  But like I said, everything is negotiable.

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

And you sound identical to that poster who seems to have been run-off as an obvious troll.  That's why I asked....since you chose today, of all days, to join this forum and pump sunshine.

I'm a positive guy, I think most would tell you, but your posts seem more like trolling than someone who actually believes the stuff you're saying.

Run off? Im here, hoss. 

14 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

And I just read his contract and I assure you our AD can make his life miserable. If he and his family start getting the cold shoulder in town he will negotiate a buy out for less. But the buy out is 15 now and the rest over 4 years so it’s doable. We clear that every year in football revenue. Just means we might have to wait on some things. But this coaching will kill the recruiting if we don’t get rid of them.

Not to mention the potential uptick of revenue generated by a coach that would bring  a breath of fresh air back into our program.

A couple of years ago, someone talked about how some were talking about how ridiculously high saban’s salary is. But he went on to say that when you look at the tens of millions of dollars bama had gained in revenue since he arrived, it was money very well spent.

13 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

He might be.  But like I said, everything is negotiable.

theoretically yes....but everything is also subject to the same risk-reward question as well.  If gus knows they want to fire him and he knows he is clean on the 'for cause' aspects of the contract, the university has little leverage.  

I just dont know why everyone is writing off these games other than bama. Some people are even saying olemiss is a very likely loss.  Huh?  this is the same olemiss team who was losing to arky last I checked?  An Arky team we routed....

7-5 is still the most likely record imo 

48 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

For the posters that are ready to fire Gus, what can Gus do to save his job? Our O did show some improvement today and our freshmen receivers are our best players other than Davis. 

Nothing. Folks have their mind made up. Everything negative has been, is, and will be his fault. If they offense were to start putting up 750 yards and 60 points per game, it would be only because of Chip - yet struggles are all him.

33 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

The OL. Same thing that bit Jimbo Fisher in the ass at FSU if I’m not mistakened. Gus needs to avoid playing conference games with depleted depth at critical positions  by making sure his recruiting classes are more well rounded.  Gus won’t always have OL problems. With that said, I don’t mind a couple 8-4 seasons if that’s what it takes. It’s pretty obvious Bama is going to run away from everybody with Tua anyways. I’d rather put the buyout money on the football only center. Prepare for the life after Saban. 

A calm voice of reason!!!!! Thanks @aujeff11

Fisher saw the writing on the wall and FSU and scurried off like the trashy possum he is. 

If 8-4 is a down year, I’m ok with that. All the folks that want “10 wins” ask you closest UGA buddy about Mark Richt. 9 of 15 years had over 10 wins and only once less than 8. They hated him and wanted him gone every year. Before crowning Smart the Savior Dawg, mind you where gus was his first year.... Smart will have a learning curve too, and there will be a series of issues to come. He’s had a little better prep too (with whom he’s worked under.)

I’ve posted a few times Gus came with growing pains. We are in it.  Look at Saban. Great year at Toledo, then at MSU only 2 of 5 seasons over 6 wins (one of which was 7). Growing/learning pains. At LSU, win count 8, 10, 8, 13, 9. I think that is consistent especially throwing in a NC. It took coming to Alabama, the help of selective vision at the NCAA, a few free Hummers, and who knows what else to make him “the best”. Great, yes. But the list above helps him be the best.

Many of the coaching wishes are gambles like Gus anyway (good OC/DC like Venables, etc) or flops (Kiffen, Strong). Or, the Pennsylvania guy reviving a blue blood.... 🤔 yeah, ain’t coming.

Build the complex and make that investment.  If this continues, a year or so, move on. A lot of investment is being made in young players on the field, so see how that helps. It doesn’t help with injury/ shifting your OL. Or losing 2 top R.B. to the pros last year - can’t  fully blame recruiting there.

I’m as frustrated as anyone, but to each their own opinion. 

6 minutes ago, tacosman said:

theoretically yes....but everything is also subject to the same risk-reward question as well.  If gus knows they want to fire him and he knows he is clean on the 'for cause' aspects of the contract, the university has little leverage.  

I just dont know why everyone is writing off these games other than bama. Some people are even saying olemiss is a very likely loss.  Huh?  this is the same olemiss team who was losing to arky last I checked?  An Arky team we routed....

You should recheck.  Ole Miss won.  They're 5-2.

45 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

This situation reminds me of Kevin Sumlin at A&M.   He and his family were miserable. 

25 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

This situation reminds me of Kevin Sumlin at A&M.   He and his family were miserable. 

he also is getting 100% of his buyout....with no offset even. so there was no negotiation(why would sumlin do any?)

40 minutes ago, kwagoner said:

Nothing. Folks have their mind made up. Everything negative has been, is, and will be his fault. If they offense were to start putting up 750 yards and 60 points per game, it would be only because of Chip - yet struggles are all him.

Fisher saw the writing on the wall and FSU and scurried off like the trashy possum he is. 

If 8-4 is a down year, I’m ok with that. All the folks that want “10 wins” ask you closest UGA buddy about Mark Richt. 9 of 15 years had over 10 wins and only once less than 8. They hated him and wanted him gone every year. Before crowning Smart the Savior Dawg, mind you where gus was his first year.... Smart will have a learning curve too, and there will be a series of issues to come. He’s had a little better prep too (with whom he’s worked under.)

I’ve posted a few times Gus came with growing pains. We are in it.  Look at Saban. Great year at Toledo, then at MSU only 2 of 5 seasons over 6 wins (one of which was 7). Growing/learning pains. At LSU, win count 8, 10, 8, 13, 9. I think that is consistent especially throwing in a NC. It took coming to Alabama, the help of selective vision at the NCAA, a few free Hummers, and who knows what else to make him “the best”. Great, yes. But the list above helps him be the best.

Many of the coaching wishes are gambles like Gus anyway (good OC/DC like Venables, etc) or flops (Kiffen, Strong). Or, the Pennsylvania guy reviving a blue blood.... 🤔 yeah, ain’t coming.

Build the complex and make that investment.  If this continues, a year or so, move on. A lot of investment is being made in young players on the field, so see how that helps. It doesn’t help with injury/ shifting your OL. Or losing 2 top R.B. to the pros last year - can’t  fully blame recruiting there.

agree 100% with all the above

2 hours ago, tacosman said:

I hope not!!! I’d rather sit at home than go to the Birmingham Bowl again!! 

11 hours ago, kwagoner said:

Coaching at MSU and coaching at AU is two different things. That is a senseless debating point I will say it again. That is a senseless debating point. If Gus can’t win with top 15 classes consistently, he isn’t going to win anywhere. That is why I highly doubted last year he would go to Arkansas. He couldn’t survive a rebuild. He has never rebuilt anything as a HC. In 2013, he was one year removed from Auburn with his players. That is not the same thing with NS at LSU or Michigan’s state.

Furthermore, I don’t know why people always want to bring Saban in the mix to make a point with Gus. What NS has done in his career has nothing to do with Gus’s inability to be consistently good or great in his expertise, which is the offense, no? Some people are made to be Head coaches. Others are made to be good assistants. I am thinking Gus Malzahn may fall into the category of a great assistant. 

Now , the year is clearly not over. Gus has already had a 7 win season in his tenure here. He has 3 losses already and his best win has been against UW, who has now been bested. He still has to face UGA, Bama and the Aggies. Those three at the current moment would beat us. We also still have ole miss, who although are not more talented than us, has a penchant of airing it out which can cause problems.

The future is not looking great for Gus. Especially when you think he has been 4-5 after gambling for a newly invested contract extention. There should honestly be nobody defending CGM presently. He has not lived up to his new earned contract. He has also proven to be very inconsistent throughout his time here, so why would anyone give him the benefit of a doubt? He was given that in the form of a new contract extension last year.

Now unfortunately, due to that, I doubt he will get fired. We have to hope he can lead our team to a 180, but damnit, I am not going to sit here and spin anything. He does not have the resume of Mark Richt and he does not have the resume of NS. In Mark Richt first six seasons at UGA, they never won at least  8 games every season and  had 10 wins or more in 4 of those six seasons. 

2 hours ago, kwagoner said:

It took coming to Alabama, the help of selective vision at the NCAA, a few free Hummers, and who knows what else to make him “the best”. Great, yes. But the list above helps him be the best.

I get sick of hearing crap like this! This is typical Auburn loser victim mentality.  ‘Poor pitiful us. Bama cheats, we can’t win’. I don’t deny stuff don’t go on there. Probably goes on everywhere, but if this is the whole reason for Saban’s success, then what happened to coaches like Shula and Dubose?? Where’s their championships?? I never saw their players play with the intensity that Bama players play with now.  I hate the turds as much as anyone, but give Saban his due. The man is successful because he’s worked his butt off recruiting and coaching. I despise tide fans but I can’t help but have respect for Saban and what he’s built there. 

5 hours ago, kwagoner said:

You're exactly right. He really is up there with Mark Richt, Smart, and Saban. He needs to learn a little more on the job is all. It's growing pains. Our rb's left for the league last year, so it could not be helped, Gus had no way of knowing we'd  be playing football this fall. The players on this roster simply didn't have it in them to put away Tennessee at home. We're a negative fan base. Just like Uga. Great post, Gus.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Sorry I just went full metafour but I had to after the last few posts. Never go full metafour.

I'm not inclined to even be nice to the guy, Dag. We know we're stuck with the coach. We know we should be cool and under control as a fan base. We also know he sucks bawls. It's not even good coach/bad coach debate. That ship has sailed. kwagoner is late. Building himself an island.

Archived