Monday or Tuesday after the IB

ChltteTiger

7 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Just playing devil's advocate here in a matter of semantics. Greene said Gus would be Auburn's coach next year. He didn't say head coach. We're paying him either way. I know it's crazy but the whole thing is crazy so... Reassign him and be done with it. 

227gx1.jpg

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

I really hope this happens for two main reasons.  First, I am weary of watching the debacles and, second, I am sick of talking about the failures of Gus.  

I agree lets bring on the next overpaid bust.

We're gonna be paying 7 mill for 1 coach next year.  We could easily get a HC and an good OC/DC, if not more, for that same expenditure.  The argument of having to pay for another coach/staff is negated or at least minimized by the removal of Gus' yearly contract off the books.

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

We're gonna be paying 7 mill for 1 coach next year.  We could easily get a HC and an good OC/DC, if not more, for that same expenditure.  The argument of having to pay for another coach/staff is negated or at least minimized by the removal of Gus' yearly contract off the books.

Nope.  Gus is going to get 75% of his yearly salary if he gets fired.  If you want to say that 25% of his salary would be off the books, you would be correct...but not 100%.

30 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Nope.  Gus is going to get 75% of his yearly salary if he gets fired.  If you want to say that 25% of his salary would be off the books, you would be correct...but not 100%.

I thought it was 75% of his contact with 15 mil due after 30 day.  The rest to be paid over X number of years.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I thought it was 75% of his contact with 15 mil due after 30 day.  The rest to be paid over X number of years.

This is roughly correct. $32mil buyout, 50% due withing 30 days. The rest to be paid out over 4-5 years.

The remainder of the buyout should remain on Auburn's Athletic Dept balance sheet as a long-term liability and would result in a reduced net worth figure. It would remain "on the books" unless someone plans on writing a check. 

2 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

This is roughly correct. $32mil buyout, 50% due withing 30 days. The rest to be paid out over 4-5 years.

The remainder of the buyout should remain on Auburn's Athletic Dept balance sheet as a long-term liability and would result in a reduced net worth figure. It would remain "on the books" unless someone plans on writing a check. 

C1mGBSvWEAANu9k.jpg

And don't forget that we now have Steele on a multi-year contract and JMO but the odds of any new HC keeping him as DC is no better than 50:50 so don't forget that business. 

I still say make Gus the OC for next year......no ifs, ands or buts about it.....get a QB coach in place of Chip....and then let the chips fall where they may after next year.and I would double down on that if Bryant were to sign up with AU.  

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

That is correct.  The total is to be paid over a five year period with the first payment being in 30 days and the rest being paid each year for four more years.  But to say his salary would be off the books ignores the annual payout and the $15 mil being paid right away.

Don't misunderstand me...I want the guy gone, but the only way to justify his firing, from a financial viewpoint, is whether his staying as the HC would have a significant negative impact on revenue, including contributions to the university and/or athletics.  I have no way to measure that but I suspect some boosters have expressed their thoughts.

1 minute ago, Mike4AU said:

That is correct.  The total is to be paid over a five year period with the first payment being in 30 days and the rest being paid each year for four more years.  But to say his salary would be off the books ignores the annual payout and the $15 mil being paid right away.

Don't misunderstand me...I want the guy gone, but the only way to justify his firing, from a financial viewpoint, is whether his staying as the HC would have a significant negative impact on revenue, including contributions to the university and/or athletics.  I have no way to measure that but I suspect some boosters have expressed their thoughts.

Just a matter of how much those boosters contribute....I'm guessing that out of the $120M revenue of the athletic department that a very minor part of that is made up from booster contributions. …..and in my view, not enough to influence the decision.....unless they were willing to pay the buyout or something. 

1 minute ago, Mike4AU said:

Don't misunderstand me...I want the guy gone, but the only way to justify his firing, from a financial viewpoint, is whether his staying as the HC would have a significant negative impact on revenue, including contributions to the university and/or athletics.  I have no way to measure that but I suspect some boosters have expressed their thoughts

That's exactly right. Whether Gus is gone comes down to numbers. The 2012 season resulted in a 2013 net loss for the AU Atheltic Dept budget. It was the spill-over effect from a loss of revenues, donations, and ticket sales.

That's why the Malzahn buyout is inexcusable. Auburn was in this same position just a few years ago.

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/03/auburn_athletics_department_re_2.html

Auburn's annual athletic-related debt service increased by about $1 million in 2013 to $10 million. The total athletic debt balance last year was $108.8 million, accounting for 15 percent of the university's overall debt.

Last year's financial numbers appear to have been heavily impacted by a historically bad season in football. Chizik was fired after the season and replaced by Gus Malzahn, who took the Tigers to the BCS Championship Game in his first year. Auburn spent $2.3 million more on severance payments in 2013 than in 2012.

Football ticket sales in Chizik's final season totaled $27.2 million, marking the third straight year with a decline. Football ticket revenue generated $27.6 million in 2011 and $27.9 million in 2012. Auburn is selling non-renewable season tickets at a reduced price for 2014.

Donations to Auburn's athletics department in 2013 ($31.8 million) also dropped, after reaching $33.5 million in 2012. Contributions attributed to football declined by $1.2 million between 2012 and 2013.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:27 AM, AUDevil said:

You could build a new 80,000 sf campus facility of some sort for $32 mil.  Crazy how quickly money can be raised for football as opposed to academic facilities and programs.

I think the Auburn Arena was less than $90 mil, think what another $32 mil would have done for the that place

35 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just a matter of how much those boosters contribute....I'm guessing that out of the $120M revenue of the athletic department that a very minor part of that is made up from booster contributions. …..and in my view, not enough to influence the decision.....unless they were willing to pay the buyout or something. 

I have zero knowledge of how much money is contributed to athletics.  When you state that it is a very minor part of the total revenue, do you have any quantifiable data upon which you base your guess or is your guess just that...a guess?

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

I'm guessing that out of the $120M revenue of the athletic department that a very minor part of that is made up from booster contributions

Although the link I posted above is about the 2013 AU AD budget, I would imagine the percentages are similar to 2018. In 2013, the AU Athletic Dept generated $103.7MM in revenues, of which $31.8MM were donations from boosters & fans.  So, roughly 30.6% of the Athletic Dept budget is supported by donations. Like I said, the article is from 2013, but I would think it's been around 30% for a while. I think I read Alabama's is a similar percentage. 

2 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Although the link I posted above is about the 2013 AU AD budget, I would imagine the percentages are similar to 2018. In 2013, the AU Athletic Dept generated $103.7MM in revenues, of which $31.8MM were donations from boosters & fans.  So, roughly 30.6% of the Athletic Dept budget is supported by donations. Like I said, the article is from 2013, but I would think it's been around 30% for a while. I think I read Alabama's is a similar percentage. 

Thanks

More than I thought and guess a lot of that is to get ticket preferences rather than just outright donations. ...but I still expect people will want to get those good seats for bama and Georgia next year...

6 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Auburn 2016-17 fiscal year

Revenues

Ticket sales: $32.9 million
Student fees: $4.4 million
Direct institutional support: $1.7 million
Away games: $58,000
Contributions: $35.3 million
In-kind contributions: $124,201
Media rights: $40.9 million
NCAA: $3.6 million
SEC distribution (non-media and non-bowl): $9 million
Concessions: $1.9 million
Royalties/licensing/advertisements: $8.8 million
Endowment and Investments: $1.4 million
Other: $7.1 million
Transfer to institution: -$2.5 million
Bowl revenue: $2.8 million

Total operating revenue: $147,511,034

Source

17 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Auburn 2016-17 fiscal year

Revenues

Ticket sales: $32.9 million
Student fees: $4.4 million
Direct institutional support: $1.7 million
Away games: $58,000
Contributions: $35.3 million
In-kind contributions: $124,201
Media rights: $40.9 million
NCAA: $3.6 million
SEC distribution (non-media and non-bowl): $9 million
Concessions: $1.9 million
Royalties/licensing/advertisements: $8.8 million
Endowment and Investments: $1.4 million
Other: $7.1 million
Transfer to institution: -$2.5 million
Bowl revenue: $2.8 million

Total operating revenue: $147,511,034

Source

I don't mind looking uneducated but where would the Under Armour  money be.

Legit question for everyone.... And please don't call me a sunshine pumper I am not excusing this or past seasons but my wife asked me this last night... Here goes...

So the old saying about there are a few plays in every game that determine the outcome can definitely hold true.... Now past seasons we will leave out... But this year .... That definitely holds true...

If you go back and watch the games we lost up until UGA..... You can count on both hands the number of plays that differentiate us being 6-4 and firing Gus.... Or us being 9-1 with playoff aspirations.... LSU....one 4th down stop...If DD is 2 inches taller he knocked the pass down on their long TD... That's just one of many.... Any if the PI calls....MSST, they don't give NF the TD or if boobie doesn't fumble, UT ... Plenty of times we could have ended that game.... So ultimately ... It's a coaches job to put players in a situation to win.... We have dropped TDS, missed open WRs, missed tackles.... Just saying if those plays go differently... Would we be calling for Gus head? 

My wife said this to me and it really made me think. Ultimately after thinking on it I'm 75/25 on yes we should because if the Ol and RB recruiting and the fact that not only sound we have won those games.... They shouldn't have been close. What's y'all's thoughts

1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Legit question for everyone.... And please don't call me a sunshine pumper I am not excusing this out past seasons but my wife asked be this last night... Here goes...

So the old saying about there are a few plays in every game that determine the outcome call definitely hold true.... Now in past seasons we will leave out... But this year .... That definitely holds true...

If you go back and watch the games we lost up until UGA..... You can count on both hands the number of plays that differentiate us being 6-4 and firing Gus.... Or is being 9-1 with playoff aspirations.... LSU....one 4th down stop...I'd DD is 2 inches taller he knocked the pass down in their long TD... That's just one of many.... Any if the PI calls....MSST, they don't give NF the TD it if boobie doesn't fumble, UT ... Plenty of times we could have ended that game.... So ultimately ... It's a coaches job to put players in a situation to win.... We have dropped TDS, missed open WRs, missed tackles.... Just saying if those plays go differently... Would we be calling for Gus head? 

My wife said this to me and it really made me think. Ultimately after thinking on it I'm 75/25 on yes we should because if the Ol and RB recruiting and the fact that not only sound we have won those games.... They shouldn't have been close. What's y'all's thoughts

Remember, time-machines are dangerous but keep in mind that if any play that you say "determined the outcome" happened differently, chances are the entire play-calling and results to follow said play would probably change too.  ...just giving Gus more opportunities to mess up even worse.

Meanwhile, if Auburn were to beat the teams they should beat (MSU, poor UT) by 3 touchdowns then "1 or 2 plays" wouldn't be so important, etc.

Bottom line, I don't think Auburn Football should have to depend on 1 or 2 plays to beat certain teams.  Otherwise, I guess we should just accept that Auburn is a mid-level conference team?  I hope not.

9 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

Could also be,  that if the other team had made a few more plays the score could have been worse. 

Things go both ways, for the winning and losing team. Except the losing team wonders what could have been ... If only.

This is also true. Fact is we shouldn't have to be in a place to wonder these things ..... This had been the most stressful season in my lifetime...I know we have had worse...08, 12 etc but man....we had Natty aspirations and I for one bought in.... My mistake...I should have followed history....

10 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Legit question for everyone.... And please don't call me a sunshine pumper I am not excusing this out past seasons but my wife asked be this last night... Here goes...

So the old saying about there are a few plays in every game that determine the outcome call definitely hold true.... Now in past seasons we will leave out... But this year .... That definitely holds true...

If you go back and watch the games we lost up until UGA..... You can count on both hands the number of plays that differentiate us being 6-4 and firing Gus.... Or is being 9-1 with playoff aspirations.... LSU....one 4th down stop...I'd DD is 2 inches taller he knocked the pass down in their long TD... That's just one of many.... Any if the PI calls....MSST, they don't give NF the TD it if boobie doesn't fumble, UT ... Plenty of times we could have ended that game.... So ultimately ... It's a coaches job to put players in a situation to win.... We have dropped TDS, missed open WRs, missed tackles.... Just saying if those plays go differently... Would we be calling for Gus head? 

Truth dart:  That's just loser self-talk.   It makes losers feel better about losing.  It also serves as an excuse for losers to make no changes and, in doing so, prove themselves to be even bigger losers.

20 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I can see this line of thinking but it also makes me think that if 1 or 2 plays that went in our favor go differently then we lose to Washington, Texas A&M, and still lose the games that we have lost and we are looking at being 5-7 sitting at home for the bowl season. I think this is just an impossible way to look at because you have to consider the change in how the next play and every subsequent one after that is affected by the change. Way to much of a butterfly effect to try to think about the season in that perspective.

Archived