Monday or Tuesday after the IB

ChltteTiger

3 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

That is the dilemma. Who is going to pony up the $ to pay the buyout and then the university will have to pay for all new coaches, etc. 

What a mess. 

Indications are that they money is there. So, I don't think that's the issue right now. 

If what I've heard is correct, then I would imagine the money will have something to say about how all of this happens, and not just in regard to the head coaching position. If it is as simple as getting the money, then I would bet the decision has already been made. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AURealist said:

"Hey, some guy on a website said something..." 

Are we allowing this sort of unsubstantiated click-bait rumor thread, now?   :-\

You must’ve missed the long Muschamp to Auburn thread. Full of internet gossip from Auburn and South Carolina sources. Was fun.

I don't think Gus will be bought out this year.  I wish it would happen this year, but I'm afraid he'll be here one more year.

That would make our AD a liar, to be honest. As much as I can't stand Gus, I hope it doesn't go that way unless we here he was completely forced to do it, which would lead to bigger problems.

45 minutes ago, AURealist said:

"Hey, some guy on a website said something..." 

Are we allowing this sort of unsubstantiated click-bait rumor thread, now?   :-\

Hell no, we're down to just throwing s*** out there whether it has any chance of being half baked and backing up with really lazy opinion in spite of what the facts show.  

We have an agenda to get done here.

Just now, PowerOfDixieland said:

Hell no, we're down to just throwing s*** out there whether it has any chance of being half baked and backing up with really lazy opinion in spite of what the facts show.  

We have an agenda to get done here.

Well...

Ok, then.

Carry on.

20 hours ago, Shift said:

Hard to believe.  AD will have some egg on his face and some explaining to do if true.

He has two choices at the moment. Fire Gus and take a chance the board might keep him or not fire Gus and get fired immediately and AG will fire Gus. Options 🤔

35 minutes ago, DAG said:

That would make our AD a liar, to be honest. As much as I can't stand Gus, I hope it doesn't go that way unless we here he was completely forced to do it, which would lead to bigger problems.

AG’s response was not planned . A reporter caught him off guard so he answered what he could. Sometimes in a position like that you answer the question as where you are publicly at the moment even though you know the private communications is much farther along. I have very little doubt that Gus is gone before a bowl game. My guess now is he will be allowed to resign for less money rather than being fired. We will see in two weeks.

3 minutes ago, 92AU said:

32 million this year. How much is the buyout next year? The year after that?  It's obvious the SEC is too big for him. 

26 million after next year maybe? Not sure. But I do know the buyout does not go down drastically. So it is not a case of O well lets just keep him for another year so the buyout goes down significantly. That is not the case.

5 minutes ago, 92AU said:

32 million this year. How much is the buyout next year? The year after that?  It's obvious the SEC is too big for him. 

clock.jpgPublished on October 16, 2018 at 3:22 PM EDT

You've seen the number. Gus Malzahn's buyout is gigantic. If Auburn fires their head coach after this season, they'd owe him about $32 million. But what is Malzahn's buyout in 2019? And throughout the remainder of his seven-year contract?

Scared of losing Malzahn to his alma mater Arkansas last year, Auburn signed the then-fifth-year head coach to a seven-year contract worth $49 million. The deal bumped his average annual salary from $4.725 million (2017) to $7 million. Malzahn's annual salary starts at $6.7 million for 2017 and increases by $100,000 each year, meaning he'd earn $7.3 million in 2024, the final year of his deal -- if he gets there.

Auburn isn't firing Malzahn after the season. But if the Tigers struggle again in 2019, is the buyout substantially lower? Nope. Malzahn's buyout is 75 percent of the remaining value of the contract. After this year (his contract runs Jan. 1 through Dec. 31), there's $42.3 million remaining. Seventy-five percent of that amount is $31.725 million. 

Here's a table of Malzahn's annual salary, remaining balance after that year and the buyout after that year. The buyout assumes, for simplicity's sake, that he'd be fired on Dec. 31 of that year. For example, as noted above, if fired on Dec. 31, 2018, he'd be owed 75 percent of the remaining $42.3 million, or $31.725 million. If fired on Dec. 31, 2019, he'd be owed $26.625 million.

YEAR
SALARY
REMAINING
BUYOUT
2018 $6,700,000 $42,300,000 $31,725,000
2019 $6,800,000 $35,500,000 $26,625,000
2020 $6,900,000 $28,600,000 $21,450,000
2021 $7,000,000 $21,600,000 $16,200,000
2022 $7,100,000 $14,500,000 $10,875,000
2023 $7,200,000 $7,300,000 $5,475,000
2024 $7,300,000 $0 $0

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

26 million after next year maybe? Not sure. But I do know the buyout does not go down drastically. So it is not a case of O well lets just keep him for another year so the buyout goes down significantly. That is not the case.

We're going to lose players to transfer, recruiting is taking hits and Gus fans want to let him bring in a whole new offensive staff for 2019. 7-5 will look like a good record next year, this is gonna be a bad team. Is that worth saving 5 million dollars in the big picture? I just don't see it.

5 minutes ago, CR said:

We're going to lose players to transfer, recruiting is taking hits and Gus fans want to let him bring in a whole new offensive staff for 2019. 7-5 will look like a good record next year, this is gonna be a bad team. Is that worth saving 7 million dollars in the big picture? I just don't see it.

It reminds me of the exact situation of Les Miles last full year at LSU minus the Jimbo rumors. Everyone on the freaking planet knew if they kept him they would just end up firing him the next year. The AD and school caved under pressure and then of course everyone knows what happened next. He lost to freaking Gus early in the season and was gone. I can see that exact situation playing out next year for us if we do not make the move and fire him this year. We all know he is going to be fired. It is just a matter if it is this year. Middle of next season or the end of next season. I completely agree with you.

18 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:
24 minutes ago, 92AU said:

clock.jpgPublished on October 16, 2018 at 3:22 PM EDT

You've seen the number. Gus Malzahn's buyout is gigantic. If Auburn fires their head coach after this season, they'd owe him about $32 million. But what is Malzahn's buyout in 2019? And throughout the remainder of his seven-year contract?

Scared of losing Malzahn to his alma mater Arkansas last year, Auburn signed the then-fifth-year head coach to a seven-year contract worth $49 million. The deal bumped his average annual salary from $4.725 million (2017) to $7 million. Malzahn's annual salary starts at $6.7 million for 2017 and increases by $100,000 each year, meaning he'd earn $7.3 million in 2024, the final year of his deal -- if he gets there.

Auburn isn't firing Malzahn after the season. But if the Tigers struggle again in 2019, is the buyout substantially lower? Nope. Malzahn's buyout is 75 percent of the remaining value of the contract. After this year (his contract runs Jan. 1 through Dec. 31), there's $42.3 million remaining. Seventy-five percent of that amount is $31.725 million. 

Here's a table of Malzahn's annual salary, remaining balance after that year and the buyout after that year. The buyout assumes, for simplicity's sake, that he'd be fired on Dec. 31 of that year. For example, as noted above, if fired on Dec. 31, 2018, he'd be owed 75 percent of the remaining $42.3 million, or $31.725 million. If fired on Dec. 31, 2019, he'd be owed $26.625 million.

YEAR
SALARY
REMAINING
BUYOUT
2018 $6,700,000 $42,300,000 $31,725,000
2019 $6,800,000 $35,500,000 $26,625,000
2020 $6,900,000 $28,600,000 $21,450,000
2021 $7,000,000 $21,600,000 $16,200,000
2022 $7,100,000 $14,500,000 $10,875,000
2023 $7,200,000 $7,300,000 $5,475,000
2024 $7,300,000 $0 $0

Yeah somebody the other day posted the numbers.

If they wait till the end of next year to fire him, when you add the buyout + '19 salary + another year of bad OL recruiting & another embarrassing year where DC's make fun of Auburn and another year of "wait'll next year" as we all get another year older....sigh....

It will actually cost MORE to cut ties next year vs this year.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Not necessarily. Depending on when Gus is kicked to the curb it could be something as simple as "After performing an end of season review, we have decided to terminate Gus Malzahn's tenure as head football coach at Auburn University."

2 minutes ago, selias said:

Not necessarily. Depending on when Gus is kicked to the curb it could be something as simple as "After performing an end of season review, we have decided to terminate Gus Malzahn's tenure as head football coach at Auburn University."

Could've easily been the original quote. Not give a direct answer of yay or nay

59 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Yeah somebody the other day posted the numbers.

If they wait till the end of next year to fire him, when you add the buyout + '19 salary + another year of bad OL recruiting & another embarrassing year where DC's make fun of Auburn and another year of "wait'll next year" as we all get another year older....sigh....

It will actually cost MORE to cut ties next year vs this year.

There is part of your analysis that is missing a significant monetary factor.  You would have to add the cost of the new HC’s salary, plus his buyout plus the cost of the new coaches and the cost of paying off the current assistant coaches.  I am too weary of our oppressive situation to try to come up with how much all those dollars would amount to, but I am quite certain it would not be an insignificant amount. 

In summary, it is more than likely that stating that it would actually cost more to retain Gus for another year is simply not accurate.  I wish this was not the case as it would make the decision easier if it were correct. 

All these little nuggets of info paint a picture of how Gus/Sexton played AU admin for fools before the SECCG last year. And the morons fell for it!

22 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

That's when some folks on the other board expect the axe to fall on Gus.

i just don't see it....he should have never been hired with his scant college background and he damn sure ought to have had his bluff called last year

3 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Indications are that they money is there. So, I don't think that's the issue right now. 

If what I've heard is correct, then I would imagine the money will have something to say about how all of this happens, and not just in regard to the head coaching position. If it is as simple as getting the money, then I would bet the decision has already been made. 

This is exactly what I would fear the most. Money guys who THINK they know best

43 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

There is part of your analysis that is missing a significant monetary factor.  You would have to add the cost of the new HC’s salary, plus his buyout plus the cost of the new coaches and the cost of paying off the current assistant coaches.  I am too weary of our oppressive situation to try to come up with how much all those dollars would amount to, but I am quite certain it would not be an insignificant amount. 

In summary, it is more than likely that stating that it would actually cost more to retain Gus for another year is simply not accurate.  I wish this was not the case as it would make the decision easier if it were correct. 

Can't argue with you.

But I simply counter with, that's just the cost of doing business.  They'll have to pay all the stuff you said next year too...or the year after.  That won't change, no matter when he gets fired (and I do believe he's going to be fired by end of next year at the latest).

But again, there's factors beyond $$$ as to why keeping him is detrimental, way beyond what I mentioned in the original post.

He'll be fired or retained regardless of what we message board experts think or say.  But IMO, the cons of keeping him outweigh the pros.

Just playing devil's advocate here in a matter of semantics. Greene said Gus would be Auburn's coach next year. He didn't say head coach. We're paying him either way. I know it's crazy but the whole thing is crazy so... Reassign him and be done with it. 

Archived