Barfield

Swamp Eagle

When I came to Auburn in 1972, Coach Barfield was hired as our freshman coach....we didn't know it then, but he was the first coach I know who was hired as the head coach in waiting, long before it became fashionable in the early 2000's...I recall before we played UF freshman in his pregame speech, he said this game needs to be a 'daddy hugging' game???...he said no matter how you do or play your mother will always give you a hug, but your dad will only give you one if you do something special....as I recall we lost, don't think we got any hugs from our dads....Coach Barfield was a good man and liked by the players, one thing that hindered him when he took over as the head coach is he couldn't bring in his own staff, was required to keep as many of Coach Jordan's that didn't retire...

9 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Let’s face it though, at the time we thought he was more like Gomer Pyle. And I’m not sure I think Malzahn is A bad guy. In fact I think he’s a really nice guy who is just in over his head.

Barfield's biggest obstacle was a divided Auburn...period.

16 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Old Timers, will you back me when I say not even the Barfield era produced such apathy and indifference towards the Auburn football program as much as the Gus era has? 

Sorry Swamp, my recollection wouldn’t back that view.  Other oldies may have a different memory.  Unhappy fans are now easily heard because of internet outlets such as this forum making the voices seem louder, but feelings then were very negative, probably because of the loss streak to Bama that continued through Barfield’s entire tenure.  It felt like there was just no way to win vs Bama.  

On a side note, while I’m all in on fans going at it concerning the proper direction for AU football, both Doug Barefield and Gus Malzahn are good men who care(d) about AU and their players.  While they both may be the wrong guys for AU HC, it pains me when posters direct nasty remarks, “pet names” and snark at them personally instead of sticking to critiques of their performance (or lack thereof).  It just feels wrong.

1 minute ago, afblue said:

Sorry Swamp, my recollection wouldn’t back that view.  Other oldies may have a different memory.  Unhappy fans are now easily heard because of internet outlets such as this forum making the voices seem louder, but feelings then were very negative, probably because of the loss streak to Bama that continued through Barfield’s entire tenure.  It felt like there was just no way to win vs Bama.  

On a side note, while I’m all in on fans going at it concerning the proper direction for AU football, both Doug Barefield and Gus Malzahn are good men who care(d) about AU and their players.  While they both may be the wrong guys for AU HC, it pains me when posters direct nasty remarks, “pet names” and snark at them personally instead of sticking to critiques of their performance (or lack thereof).  It just feels wrong.

Good post. I don't disagree with anything you said. I'd have to say, personally, I never got to this point of apathy when Barfield was coach. Disappointed, but not indifference. 

That’s great you were able to keep the faith, Swamp.  It was the same for me as well.  I think my view of overall fan feelings was probably influenced by the group of pals with whom I talked football.

Archived