Josh Moon has some Malzahn info

TitanTiger

34 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

This. What makes posters think Gus quit? Two weeks earlier he'd watched Georgia distance itself from AU with only a couple minutes left in the first half, and he didn't want to witness that again. I think he lost some confidence in Stidham in the TN game and he knew how elite Bama's cover guys are, so he didn't want things to blow up just before halftime when we had played them so tough, even with all the dropped balls and penalties. At that point AU had held serve with the mighty Tahd and we should have had a 21-17 lead save for a ridiculous judgment holding call that imo shouldn't have been flagged on Shivers' long run. We had found running room in the first half and the O line was playing fairly well, and he tried to build on that and attempt to ball control to keep Tua off the field. We aren't good enough this year to keep up with Bama for 60 mins (nobody is), and the D ended up getting torched. Bama is unfortunately a machine that chewed us up in the 2nd half. That wasn't Gus quitting,  just Bama exerting dominance in skill, depth, and execution. IMHO.

Thanks....Logic and reasoning..... but you are swimming upstream against a tide of "AU faithful" who are willing to slander coaches, the school president and the Board of Trustees.....with no objections from the Mods....

JMO but when a game is over...it's over....and whether you are the winning coach or the losing coach....there is a time to just close things out and let the clock run. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That's Gus.

That's Gus.

That's Gus & did you forget our WRs were dropping a lot of passes that game?

No. That's Gus just being his normal make no sense play calling self.

That he wasn't quitting & was being his normal illogical self. As far as actual actions taken nothing in your post is remotely out of the norm for Gus. He may have a lot of flaws but quitting isn't one of them. Yes the play calls are maddening but they usually are with Gus. They don't mean he quit.

I can agree with all that, it just felt like it hit a different level to me and that is why I think that, it does not make me right!!  I could be......but it had a different feel to me.

6 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I think that Gus realizes that this is his last opportunity at a big time program, more than likely.  And by big time,  I mean one that is capable of winning a national championship. 

Granted. But don't you think that if the pushers in this situation genuinely felt Gus quit they would have pushed him out of AU by now? Even Leath & Harbert have to realize there is no room for quitters in college football.

7 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

How did he quit on his team?  Down 4 TDs and a field goal with half a quarter to go he started running clock?  You think he was going to make a game of it at that point, much less come back and win?  And as far as 2nd quarter management...You think going a quick 3-and-out right before half and giving the ball to a dangerous deep threat QB would have been a smart?

There's a lot to want to fire Gus about, but I don't think those 2 decisions were terrible decisions given the circumstances...not the decisions I would have made.  I just don't think you call that "giving up on Auburn".

It is just my opinion, I have explained it and we all know what an opinion is worth.  lol    I understand where you are coming from as well, it also makes sense.

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

GT will never win a CFP championship....may not ever make the playoffs.

Yeah. I only read his 1st sentence at the time. I deleted my post but you caught it the 5 seconds it was up.

4 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I can agree with all that, it just felt like it hit a different level to me and that is why I think that, it does not make me right!!  I could be......but it had a different feel to me.

Understood. And even though I disagree I am openly listening.

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

They could be close with another Bobby Ross type coach. Tech is right in the middle of a recruiting hotbed. The problem lies with the student athletes being able to pass the entrance exam at Tech. 

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Granted. But don't you think that if the pushers in this situation genuinely felt Gus quit they would have pushed him out of AU by now? Even Leath & Harbert have to realize there is no room for quitters in college football.

there are some boosters that do.  This whole week has been mind numbing to me and I wish that I had an explanation for what the heck is going on.  I feel like we have 50% of the information right now.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Yeah. I only read his 1st sentence at the time. I deleted my post but you caught it the 5 seconds it was up.

Out of GT, Lousiville, and TT....GT is a good fit for him as they'll probably give him time to tinker around.  Louisville probably gives him the best shot at making a playoff in the future...they want to win badly.

Just now, auburnphan said:

there are some boosters that do.  This whole week has been mind numbing to me and I wish that I had an explanation for what the heck is going on.  I feel like we have 50% of the information right now.

& you more than most of us most of the time so that puts the rest of us at about 10%.

Just now, ellitor said:

& you more than most of us most of the time so that puts the rest of us at about 10%.

nothing adds up one way or the other.  There has not been a strong statement from the University.  They gave the basic Gus is still the coach line that every university gives when they haven't fired their coach.  Personally I feel terrible for the assistant coaches and players and their families.  They deserve better than how this is being handled.

On 11/29/2018 at 9:52 PM, AuCivilEng1 said:

As much as I'm goofing on him, I really do wish him the best. He seems like a good guy  and the players seem to love him. That's why they never give up. I just don't think he's cut out for head coaching in the SEC. It's just time for Auburn and Gustavo to part ways. It's been toxic for a while and there really is no coming back. 

Yeah, the players who are not transferring.

7 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Personally I feel terrible for the assistant coaches and players and their families.  They deserve better than how this is being handled.

And to be in the loop on what exactly is going on which Gus is apparently failing to do. If he doesn't open up to them pretty quick he may lose some of if not all the good assistant coaches we have real soon.

42 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

You saying we should be looking at Freshwater and Art? 

Absolutely!

Briles can step in with the same player personnel and succeed immediately. If he brings Kendall, even better, solves OC and QB coaching issues.

Fresh can recruit like no other and has matured (as a coach) since his time at UT and USC. His time at UA was helpful to him both personally and professionally, and (and this is the biggest thing) created an extreme dislike for Saban. I think he would very much be a thorn in their side and is someone not afraid to go head to head. Can you imagine the swag of Sweet Al Greene, Brucie, and Fresh on campus at the same time (sending my daughter to Samford!)?

Look, if we’re ok with Freeze, then we need to be realistic that we are saying we are looking for a coach who will win. Baggage is somewhat an expectation. Briles maybe too much, but again, depends on how tired AU is of being mediocre. We took a risk on Bruce and it paid of in spades.

On 11/29/2018 at 7:39 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

It is. But the politics to this don't make that decision as easy as it sounds.  The 2 biggest powers at AU are in jeopardy of losing each's power. Neither want this to happen. So here we are. No final decisions have been made yet. 

WDE - we’re the rumors true that Auburn had contacted Stoops and he reciprocated with mutual interest? Is there any possibility of still getting him if Auburn decides to pay the buyout?

guys face it, (and everyone knows that i did not want him hired as HC, then thought he proved me wrong and then he proved me right), coach clouseau is back next year...riding on the rollercoaster has took its toll on me, and this week has just made it hit the point of no return-----apathy...

13 hours ago, tdburger said:

He must have been reading this thread.

That little devil did read this thread!  I cannot get one moments rest without him following me room to room with that new tug or war rope!

10 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

guys face it, (and everyone knows that i did not want him hired as HC, then thought he proved me wrong and then he proved me right), coach clouseau is back next year...riding on the rollercoaster has took its toll on me, and this week has just made it hit the point of no return-----apathy...

I feel your pain dover. I never wanted him hired either. I'm afraid that we are in for another season of "what if's and maybe's". Sad but true. Just another wasted season on The Plains.

42 minutes ago, au_bsci_04 said:

Absolutely!

Briles can step in with the same player personnel and succeed immediately. If he brings Kendall, even better, solves OC and QB coaching issues.

Fresh can recruit like no other and has matured (as a coach) since his time at UT and USC. His time at UA was helpful to him both personally and professionally, and (and this is the biggest thing) created an extreme dislike for Saban. I think he would very much be a thorn in their side and is someone not afraid to go head to head. Can you imagine the swag of Sweet Al Greene, Brucie, and Fresh on campus at the same time (sending my daughter to Samford!)?

Look, if we’re ok with Freeze, then we need to be realistic that we are saying we are looking for a coach who will win. Baggage is somewhat an expectation. Briles maybe too much, but again, depends on how tired AU is of being mediocre. We took a risk on Bruce and it paid of in spades.

Tbh he’s about the only one with the balls to step up to Saban. Plus could you imagine how fun sec media days would be? 

13 minutes ago, cctiger said:

I feel your pain dover. I never wanted him hired either. I'm afraid that we are in for another season of "what if's and maybe's". Sad but true. Just another wasted season on The Plains.

That's where many are wrong.  The most Auburn thing to happen would be for Gus to go undefeated, win the SEC, go to Playoffs and win the NC.   Then what, another raise and extension?  

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

It took extreme act of God level luck and a once a generation player to get gun into NC games, he isn't and never will be more than a mid tier, coach his system coach who should never have been hired. 

There are some really good up and comers. Heck for FWIW, Gus was an up and comer that came up at times, but didn't stay up so far. This thing needs to end asap so to stop the bleeding one way or another.

I like these men as up and comers:

1. Mike Norvell Memphis: He has done a superb job at a school known for losing seasons on top of each other. I am going to be watching the AAC game to see how it goes. Likely 3 million would have him in Auburn asap.

2. Matt Campbell: ISU...He has done better at ISU than any coach in recent memory. He has beaten the big boys and that is very, very hard to do at ISU. He is making around 3.3 million, and 5 million would likely be what it will cost us. ISU could not and would not match a 1.5 million increase.

3. Lance Leipold Buffalo: A little older coach (54), but has a phenomenal record and has turned Buffalo around rather quickly. He like Norvell would not break the bank. 

4. Brian Harsin Boise State: young high energy coach who has done well at every stop in his young career. Has his team at 10-2 playing Fresno State for his conference championship.

5. Jeff Brohm Purdue: I know he turned down Louisville but for the right amount of $$$$ he could come calling possibly

I know this is in the wrong story line, but someone mentioned an up and comer as a coach in this thread so I decided to throw in my 2 cents worth for what it is worth. This may very well be academic and Gus is retained. I hope we know soon!

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Nothing is or was going on.  The only question left to answer is, "Where will Chip coach next season?"  

1 minute ago, around4ever said:

That's where many are wrong.  The most Auburn thing to happen would be for Gus to go undefeated, win the SEC, go to Playoffs and win the NC.   Then what, another raise and extension?  

I’m afraid you’re exactly right on this especially if we get Bryant or Tate to fill in at QB for a year. Defense will take a step back but the oline did show improvement . My biggest disappointment this year were our RBs and how they were used tbh

Archived