Josh Moon has some Malzahn info

TitanTiger

Hmm, GT's and Auburn's biggest rivals are playing in the SEC Championship game tomorrow. Might be a perfect opportunity to make an announcement right before the game so that people are talking about us. lol

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I thought the buyout was only if Gus was fired?

There is a buyout if he leaves but it's relatively small in comparison but I am sure Auburn would wave it to end things and everyone save some respectability. 

51 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

In actual buzz worthy news...whispers in Auburn say that GT is gauging Gus' interest. TIFWIW

They would so appreciate him more than us...I just cannot endure another season like this year's.  Somebody please put him out of our misery.

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

UGA doesn't play in the ACC.  Gus could likely compete for more division titles in the ACC coastal, opposite of Clemson.  That's gotta be tempting.

Personally, I would think the mere option of going somewhere I was wanted would be tempting.  The fanbase is done with Gus, and the buyout is obviously the only thing keeping Auburn itself from having already been done with Gus.

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

Personally, I would think the mere option of going somewhere I was wanted would be tempting.  The fanbase is done with Gus, and the buyout is obviously the only thing keeping Auburn itself from having already been done with Gus.

I agree and also view it as an “I’ll show them” opportunity.

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

Not a huge move if he accepts. GT is a stones’ throw away

13 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Coming from Paul Johnson's triple option, Georgia Tech is basically built to run Gus' offense.

I was thinking the same thing. Heavy run with the HUNH. Add in some decent wideouts and there you go. 

4 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Gus is not wanted at GT.  Not by the fans, anyway.

23 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

If Gus is offered and takes the job at Tech, would we enforce a buyout from Tech? I’m just thinking if the cheapest option for us were to happen (Gus taking another job) then that frees up a ton of cash we would have spent on a buyout. Then we could put that in the pile that we throw at Stoops or a Stoops level coach.

Maybe Auburn will actually PAY GT the buyout to sweeten the pot!?! 😁

24 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I hear you but I'd still like to spin the wheel to see if we can land something better. As impressive as ADAG is & the quality of talent we have overall I bet we can land a quality HC even if it's not a splash name.

That gets lost. Other than OL, this isn't a rebuild. Big asterisk but not as big as most vacancies.

24 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I thought the buyout was only if Gus was fired?

Pretty sure the whole point of a buyout is to protect coaches from being poached by other schools. 

As I understand it, Gus' buyout is to be paid by anyone whose actions cause Gus Malzahn to no longer coach at Auburn University. If Auburn fires him, Auburn pays it. If GT lures him away, they'd be required to pay it. But I bet AU might be willing to waive the buyout. In fact, I imagine that's the only POSSIBLE way he leaves for another job.

4 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Gus is not wanted at GT.  Not by the fans, anyway.

They would change their minds quickly if he gave them something resembling Auburn's 2013 season, which I suspect he could, given the existing team.  Even the passes in Gus' offense would be like a breath of fresh air.

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Pretty sure the whole point of a buyout is to protect coaches from being poached by other schools. 

As I understand it, Gus' buyout is to be paid by anyone whose actions cause Gus Malzahn to no longer coach at Auburn University. If Auburn fires him, Auburn pays it. If GT lures him away, they'd be required to pay it. But I bet AU might be willing to waive the buyout. In fact, I imagine that's the only POSSIBLE way he leaves for another job.

Huh?

So, GT would have to pay Gus the $32M buyout + then pay him a salary to be their coach?

Gus must be the luckiest man alive!!!

😉😂

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Huh?

So, GT would have to pay Gus the $32M buyout + then pay him a salary to be their coach?

Gus must be the luckiest man alive!!!

😉😂

No.  They would be on the hook to pay Auburn, not Gus, for the buyout.  However, it would likely be waived so we could rid ourselves of the problem.

19 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

They would change their minds quickly if he gave them something resembling Auburn's 2013 season, which I suspect he could, given the existing team.  Even the passes in Gus' offense would be like a breath of fresh air.

Some might.  Those I've spoken to are not interested at all.  The issue is that they think he under-performs here and the caliber of recruit is much lower there.  

4 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

They must know for a fact that Auburn would never announce changes on a Sat🤷🏻‍♂️

I don’t know anything. I just kinda figured if it was gonna happen it would’ve by now. Longer this drags on the more it affects recruiting.

2 minutes ago, provibe said:

Why would Gus walk away from 32 million?

$32M is if he's fired.  He pays back $7M if he leaves.  That's my understanding.  Could be wrong....  

1 hour ago, passthebiscuits said:

In actual buzz worthy news...whispers in Auburn say that GT is gauging Gus' interest. TIFWIW

Any buzz on his level (if any) of interest?

Archived