Josh Moon has some Malzahn info

TitanTiger

This is all you need to know about why we do not need Mike Leach here, (apologies to my brother from another mother @GwillMac6)

https://247sports.com/college/washington/Article/Washington-Huskies-Football-Husky-Defense-Dominates-Cougar-Offense-In-Apple-Cup-Victory-125197191/

I could not stomach any more of this

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, The Plainsman said:

WSU didn’t either from wherever he was prior.  Boulder is a huge upgrade from the Polouse for sure though.  

He did not leave Texas Tech to go to Wazzou, and his parting was less than amicable.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

If nobody is freaking happy then the solution seems obvious. I just don’t get this crap lol.

That's because you are thinking from sound mind & body. The 3-4 major players here aren't.

Here's a hypothetical scenario. Perhaps Gus and the PTB agree to a reduced buyout and pay him an "advance" on his contract while making it financially feasible for a Georgia Tech-like program to buy him out.

But then again, Paul Johnson made around $2.6M a year and I can't see them spending more than $10M in buyout even if they decided they loved Gus...

So I guess even in that case, it still wouldn't make sense for Gus to renegotiate from a numbers standpoint. I guess maybe the PTB could still spread the rest of the buyout over a longer period at a higher interest rate. Idk... I'm playing with numbers that I can not truly comprehend.

Upon further consideration, if the buy-out to leave is only $7M then it may not be all that crazy for GT or another school to snatch him up. Strange that there'd be a built-in incentive not to fire Malzhan, but no incentive to keep other schools from hiring him if this is indeed the way his contract is written.

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's Gus. He's a strange bird. Even though he has a ton of money he doesn't care about money other than having enough of it to function well.

I think I heard on a show Gus has made around 25 million at Auburn already. I've heard the same things about Gus as you said, so I'm sure he's set himself up quite nicely.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

If nobody is freaking happy then the solution seems obvious. I just don’t get this crap lol.

That is why I would be looking for an out if I were Gus.  He is already a rich man, and there are other jobs out there that do not involve basically everyone around you wishing that you were somewhere else.  It would be like going to work every day knowing that the owners of the company want me gone, the managers want me gone, and even a very large percentage of the customers want me gone.  While the money is good, he already has enough that he could travel the world for a few years and then throw his hat back in the ring.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That's because you are thinking from sound mind & body. The 3-4 major players here aren't.

At this point it’s just pride from both sides. Neither will budge or just walk away. It is going to end up bad for all parties. Gus is making to the point where he is going to be hated at Auburn and probably never welcomed back. At least Auburn folks tolerate both chizik and tubs. Also, the power people are going to make it where they are completely distrusted. 

14 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I do not disagree at all, and would have loved to see Leach fill any of our post-Tuberville vacancies.  I was just being realistic.

Leach is honest. He would never fit in. 

Georgia tech board seems to be much more interested Gus. They actually hate the idea of whisenhunt aka whiz being their HC.

45 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

That is definitely true, and they would have a hard time finding Auburn fans that disagreed with their assessment.  However, they are in the ACC's version of the SEC East.  They could have beaten Pittsburgh, lost some other out of conference game, and still clinched that division at 7-5.  He could probably sustain what they are used to, and perhaps even better it.  I can certainly understand why they would not want a coach that everyone wants to run off from his current job, but Gus would likely be their best bet for immediate impact unless they go after Navy's coach.

Tech plays Clemson and UGA every year.   Easier schedule, but often hardest in the ACC.  

5 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Tech plays Clemson and UGA every year.   Easier schedule, but often hardest in the ACC.  

Dabo and Kirby would love it. Their combined record against Gus with top 10 talent is impeccable. With GT level talent it will be blowout city 

29 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

He did not leave Texas Tech to go to Wazzou, and his parting was less than amicable.

Yeah he played dirty during hide-and-seek with Craig James' son...

I love Auburn for all my life. Been up and down. I have relatives who are Banners and friends also.  We try not to do anything except congratulate the winner each year.  My nephew played very successful  Baseball at Auburn and was drafted and played Pro. Thee are some very smart and informative  people on this site.  I don't post much at all.but I read as much as I can.  I have to say this is the first time Im at a loss of words or even any hope the way this is all playing out at this particular  time. It's taken entirely too long for the President  who did this deal with Gus to publicly  respond. Does anyone see an end to all this soon and I am wrong by saying Auburn, our recruiting and our program have lost no matter what happens at this point.   I think the fan base just wants some type of closure. As I said I respect and think we have some good thinkers on this site, but I have honestly  never been at this point with my disappointment with our school ad President.  I hate that our AD inherited all this and is in a catch 22. 

Please tell me if I'm looking at this wrong.  Usually don't post and may not again for a log time.  Thanks to all who really Love Auburn and War Eagle forever!

42 minutes ago, mayor4522 said:

Please tell me if I'm looking at this wrong. 

You're not. 

There are about three people that matter who want to keep Gus around.  Not many left in the family that think it's a good idea.  The one guy remaining on this board who was adamantly in Gus's camp apparently got banned yesterday.  Most of us have tried to make light of the situation for the last week 'cause we're not leaving either and we'd rather laugh than jump off of the roof.

2 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

SIAP

Another Good podcast from Bryan Matthews and Jay Tate. More confirmation of the things posted here, about the mess Leath and others have gotten Auburn into. What a CF.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/rundown/rundown_113018.mp3?dest-id=216720

Interesting that JGT called tbe Stoops stuff mostly fake. 

Also, one of the two (JGT, Matthews) said Leath was nearly ousted at the board meeting but didn’t get enough votes.

6 hours ago, mayor4522 said:

It's taken entirely too long for the President  who did this deal with Gus to publicly  respond.  

I'm not so sure he'll say anything more about it. It seems he is directly tied to Gus. Heck, he may be gone before Gus.

FWIW, I live in Columbus, GA area, which borders Alabama, with Phenix City, AL across the river. The town is distinctly divided by 3 fan bases: Auburn, Georgia, and Alabama. I work with both a Alabama grad and UGA grad. In talking with them about all this Gus contract stuff, they kind of dismiss it as performance based reduction of buyout. So, while it's a hot topic to us on the internet and amongst other AU fans, the other fan bases don't really seem that interested in it. My Georgia buddy said "no one in their right mind walks away from millions of dollars." (Insert Gus joke now). But my two cents is I don't think we get much out of Leath because it's not growing, if anything it's dying off.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

It's Gus. He's a strange bird. Even though he has a ton of money he doesn't care about money other than having enough of it to function well.

Well then he was an idiot to agree to the ridiculous $$$ buyout. If he had thought long and hard about it beforehand he would have envisioned a scenario like what is unfolding where he would become hated. The being hated part is gonna bother him I imagine.

You people who keep insisting Gus the person is likeable, great guy, etc. Its not gonna matter if he destroys the football program for the foreseeable future!

7 hours ago, DAG said:

Georgia tech board seems to be much more interested Gus. They actually hate the idea of whisenhunt aka whiz being their HC.

Which board?  The Swarm was split amongst about 30 different coaches, including Leach, Clark and Kingsbury.  The Techies I know much prefer Whisenhunt to Gus, but admit recruiting could be an issue.  

6 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

You're not. 

There are about three people that matter who want to keep Gus around.  Not many left in the family that think it's a good idea.  The one guy remaining on this board who was adamantly in Gus's camp apparently got banned yesterday.  Most of us have tried to make light of the situation for the last week 'cause we're not leaving either and we'd rather laugh than jump off of the roof.

Regarding Coarch he has many times recently said Gus was not getting it done. The situation that got him in trouble was related to his mistrust of all these Internet media types (Jay Tate etc)

Has anyone opined on the tweet from some media type (don't remember whom) who said its KB to either AU or Mizzou?

6 hours ago, mayor4522 said:

I love Auburn for all my life. Been up and down. I have relatives who are Banners and friends also.  We try not to do anything except congratulate the winner each year.  My nephew played very successful  Baseball at Auburn and was drafted and played Pro. Thee are some very smart and informative  people on this site.  I don't post much at all.but I read as much as I can.  I have to say this is the first time Im at a loss of words or even any hope the way this is all playing out at this particular  time. It's taken entirely too long for the President  who did this deal with Gus to publicly  respond. Does anyone see an end to all this soon and I am wrong by saying Auburn, our recruiting and our program have lost no matter what happens at this point.   I think the fan base just wants some type of closure. As I said I respect and think we have some good thinkers on this site, but I have honestly  never been at this point with my disappointment with our school ad President.  I hate that our AD inherited all this and is in a catch 22. 

Please tell me if I'm looking at this wrong.  Usually don't post and may not again for a log time.  Thanks to all who really Love Auburn and War Eagle forever!

In my opinion, everybody from Leath to Gus to everybody should cease hostilities and pretend nothing happened.   When asked later, they should plead ignorance and laugh off the 'rumors'.  It's the only way to back away from the edge without blowing everything up.  Gus gets one more season to pull something together and we don't look like a crazy mob burning down our own house.

Archived