Josh Moon has some Malzahn info

TitanTiger

4 minutes ago, AURealist said:

$32M is if he's fired.  He pays back $7M if he leaves.  That's my understanding.  Could be wrong....  

That is my understanding also, so why would he leave and have to pay 7million when he can stay until he is fired and collect 32 million?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I hear you but I'd still like to spin the wheel to see if we can land something better. As impressive as ADAG is & the quality of talent we have overall I bet we can land a quality HC even if it's not a splash name.

Cough cough Dino Babers cough Mike Leach

15 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Some might.  Those I've spoken to are not interested at all.  The issue is that they think he under-performs here and the caliber of recruit is much lower there.  

Keep these people away from their decision makers please.

1 minute ago, provibe said:

and collect 32 million?

If that's still the number after the supposed negotiating he & Leath did this week.

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

Some might.  Those I've spoken to are not interested at all.  The issue is that they think he under-performs here and the caliber of recruit is much lower there.  

That is definitely true, and they would have a hard time finding Auburn fans that disagreed with their assessment.  However, they are in the ACC's version of the SEC East.  They could have beaten Pittsburgh, lost some other out of conference game, and still clinched that division at 7-5.  He could probably sustain what they are used to, and perhaps even better it.  I can certainly understand why they would not want a coach that everyone wants to run off from his current job, but Gus would likely be their best bet for immediate impact unless they go after Navy's coach.

Just listened to Tate and Matthews podcast. Basically said Leath, Harbert and maybe another BOT member are the only ones supporting Gus. Matthews thinks AU puts out  a statement in near future and tries to pretend none of this happened. Tate thinks he keeps his job now but still not sure he's really safe. Says no one is happy including Gus, Leath, the other BOT members or Greene. An entertaining yet depressing listen for anyone interested.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If that's still the number after the supposed negotiating he & Leath did this week.

OK, didn't realize that they had reached an agreement

5 minutes ago, CR said:

Keep these people away from their decision makers please.

He should start a GoFundMe to send them all on an international vacation for the next month or two.

5 minutes ago, provibe said:

That is my understanding also, so why would he leave and have to pay 7million when he can stay until he is fired and collect 32 million?

He doesn’t pay it, Ga Tech would I believe. No coach wants to be fired, even with a $32 million parachute waiting. If he went to Ga Tech, he saves face and probably gets at least 4-5 years at Tech to show us what we gave up.

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Cough cough Dino Babers cough Mike Leach

Don't see Mike Leach coming here & I know at one time not many AU fans wanted him. He nor Dino has any experience recruiting in SEC territory & doubt eitther have many contacts down this way which to me is an important part of this job for a HC.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Don't see Mike Leach coming here & I know at one time not many AU fans wanted him. He nor Dino has any experience recruiting in SEC territory & doubt eitther have many contacts down this way which to me is an important part of this job for a HC.

Leach should take Colorado.  

1 minute ago, provibe said:

OK, didn't realize that they had reached an agreement

Don't know they did. That's why I said supposed & supposedly lowering of the buy out is part of what Leath offered him in that smoke out offer supposedly made.

39 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Huh?

So, GT would have to pay Gus the $32M buyout + then pay him a salary to be their coach?

Gus must be the luckiest man alive!!!

😉😂

My understanding is that Gus' buy-out to leave is $7M.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

I have always wanted to see what Mike Leach could do at a program capable of landing the kind of athletes he could get here, but I also agree.  His personality would probably rub the wrong nerves here, and his last experience on this side of the country was in the 90's.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I mean as long as you form a staff of guys with a strong pipeline in the south, I think you could make it work, at least enough to stay relevant on the recruiting front. I don't know of any guys available that have that kind of recruiting connection. Charlie Strong maybe🤷🏻‍♂️, but hell I'd think he could possibly be a downgrade.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Don't know they did. That's why I said supposed & supposedly lowering of the buy out is part of what Leath offered him in that smoke out offer supposedly made.

I thought the only reason he was willing to lower the buy out was to stay at Auburn. I don't see Ga Tech nor anyone else paying him what he is making under contract to Auburn, so it is hard for me to understand why he would just leave and leave that much money on the table. I guess it will all work out so no need to worry about it.

5 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I have always wanted to see what Mike Leach could do at a program capable of landing the kind of athletes he could get here, but I also agree.  His personality would probably rub the wrong nerves here, and his last experience on this side of the country was in the 90's.

He's a funny guy who doesn't walk around and carry himself like the most important/intelligent/coolest guy on Earth. So yeah he probably wouldn't fit into the Auburn culture. But I think it would be good for us as a culture to expose ourselves to someone different. The good old country bubba  thing is getting boring and tedious.

9 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I am not sure Colorado qualifies as an upgrade.

WSU didn’t either from wherever he was prior.  Boulder is a huge upgrade from the Polouse for sure though.  

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

He's a funny guy who doesn't walk around and carry himself like the most important/intelligent/coolest guy on Earth. So yeah he probably wouldn't fit into the Auburn culture. But I think it would be good for us as a culture to expose ourselves to someone different. The good old country bubba  thing is getting boring and tedious.

I do not disagree at all, and would have loved to see Leach fill any of our post-Tuberville vacancies.  I was just being realistic.

12 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I mean as long as you form a staff of guys with a strong pipeline in the south, I think you could make it work, at least enough to stay relevant on the recruiting front. I don't know of any guys available that have that kind of recruiting connection. Charlie Strong maybe🤷🏻‍♂️, but hell I'd think he could possibly be a downgrade.

I'm not going to even think about possible names til Gus actually leaves, which looks to be about 20% chance right now.

23 minutes ago, CR said:

Just listened to Tate and Matthews podcast. Basically said Leath, Harbert and maybe another BOT member are the only ones supporting Gus. Matthews thinks AU puts out  a statement in near future and tries to pretend none of this happened. Tate thinks he keeps his job now but still not sure he's really safe. Says no one is happy including Gus, Leath, the other BOT members or Greene. An entertaining yet depressing listen for anyone interested.

If nobody is freaking happy then the solution seems obvious. I just don’t get this crap lol.

11 minutes ago, provibe said:

I thought the only reason he was willing to lower the buy out was to stay at Auburn. I don't see Ga Tech nor anyone else paying him what he is making under contract to Auburn, so it is hard for me to understand why he would just leave and leave that much money on the table. I guess it will all work out so no need to worry about it.

It's Gus. He's a strange bird. Even though he has a ton of money he doesn't care about money other than having enough of it to function well.

Archived