Josh Moon has some Malzahn info

TitanTiger

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Name me 7 coaches who are big name, and by big name and established, that we could afford to pull away from their current locations. 

I have no idea what we can afford. I'm just saying that Liberty could probably pull a big name coach if they wanted. It's about money. Long gone are the Beamer/Paterno type days of a coach loving a school. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

well that's it then. What is there to argue about now? 

It's the AU fanbase. Give us a second. We'll find something.

A lot like my moms side of my family. We'll argue about everything but still somehow remain family.

Just now, cole256 said:

Well that confuses me that he will be pulling strings with this stuff. Wow, this is a cluster

The bottom line is that buyout really screwed us. It’s a sad state of affairs for Auburn football. Again, not the extension, but the buyout with the guarantee money.

1 minute ago, VAtiger12 said:

I have no idea what we can afford. I'm just saying that Liberty could probably pull a big name coach if they wanted. It's about money. Long gone are the Beamer/Paterno type days of a coach loving a school. 

We can afford whatever they want, it is just a matter of how much power is given up for what they are willing to pay for to get it.

Just now, AUcivE09 said:

The only 2 coaches not leaving the current job are Saban and Myer. Dabo is a toss-up but doubtful.

I would probably throw Kirby Smart in that mix as not leaving.

53 minutes ago, ellitor said:

This is 2018, not 1964. Right or wrong things work differently now-a-days. Backers to the school are looking & their sway may or may not be their authority.

As been said countless times the past few months, Leath has a number of issues on the academic side of the university is well. He's being hammered at all angles.

They aren't going to regardless if things are going well or not.

Sounds like a Coup D'etat is under way down there.  Folks on this site complain vigorously and regularly about "meddling" with the athletic program but seems many have joined the side of the meddlers.   PTBs trying to undercut the BOT, President and AD ?   

And I understand the realities of modern football.... had fun watching U of Tennessee getting torn apart by Phil and his antics and seeing schools like Louisville hire Petrino and Pitino despite the warning signs.    I'm not happy with the situation as it stands with Gus but also not happy with self-appointed groups or PTBs who take it on themselves to intercede where they wish. 

I have no idea whether Moon and Tate really have inside information but I'm pretty sure that such speculation/ rumors and the like are damaging the program going forward ...especially with signing day coming up in a few weeks.    Guess it could happen but hard for me to imagine many of current commitments signing their letters in time for Christmas with all of this swirling around. :dunno:

2 minutes ago, AUcivE09 said:

The only 2 coaches not leaving the current job are Saban and Myer. Dabo is a toss-up but doubtful.

I think Meyer will leave (or be forced to leave) Ohio State this year.

9 minutes ago, VAtiger12 said:

Don't be just throwing out "dumb comment" if you aren't prepared to back yourself up. There are a lot of coaches who could or could not be successful in the future, but big name coaches with more success then what we have are definitely not in abundance these days. I don't even know why you'd think that. Yeah if we throw 500 million at Saban or Myer, they'd probably come, but that's not realistic. Those guys are already getting paid what we would be willing to pay and sitting in way better situations. 

But the biggest thing that frustrates me about this leak is now Auburn has to get a big name coach or the fan base probably will be very unhappy. We could’ve fired Gus and argued for a Bill Clark type but now...

1 minute ago, DAG said:

But the biggest thing that frustrates me about this leak is now Auburn has to get a big name coach or the fan base probably will be very unhappy. We could’ve fired Gus and argued for a Bill Clark type but now...

This. I'm on the same page with you DAG. A cheaper option to catch our breath wouldn't have been an atrocious idea. Free up some money for a football-only-facility 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Bill Clark is a home-run... unfortunately everyone wants a monster name, so he wont happen.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

That's probably true but can't imagine that , even now, the fan base would consider Clark or any coach from that level as a step forward.     All the noise makers already have it in their heads that we are gonna get someone who has been a top 5 or to 10 coach.....and anything less will be a "fail" for which they can blame Leath or Greene. 

Just now, KolchakAU85 said:

Over/under on the number of pages by midnight: 85

Way over. 

What if the whole "Stoops to Auburn" is yet another Jimmy Sexton fiction (like Gus to Arky and Odom to Louisville) to get Stoops a bigger deal elsewhere.

Just now, KolchakAU85 said:

Over/under on the number of pages by midnight: 85

Under. I would say the new topic would be one about Gus being gone or Gus being allowed to stay on and continues conversation of what staff is let go. That is if what PM says is true that we could hear something today.

1 minute ago, meh130 said:

What if the whole "Stoops to Auburn" is yet another Jimmy Sexton fiction (like Gus to Arky and Odom to Louisville) to get Stoops a bigger deal elsewhere.

Maybe.  But certainly, if that were true, Moon would have already reported it by now.

4 minutes ago, meh130 said:

Or what if this is a distraction for recruits to question this close to early signing day?

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

This. I'm on the same page with you DAG. A cheaper option to catch our breath wouldn't have been an atrocious idea. Free up some money for a football-only-facility 

Yep I would love Bill Clark TBH and like you said , he wouldn’t be asking for Jimbo type of money which it will take to get a coach with a successful power 5 resume.

7 minutes ago, Timbeaux38 said:

Bill Clark is a home-run... unfortunately everyone wants a monster name, so he wont happen.

I agree . I would take coach Bill yesterday.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That's probably true but can't imagine that , even now, the fan base would consider Clark or any coach from that level as a step forward.     All the noise makers already have it in their heads that we are gonna get someone who has been a top 5 or to 10 coach.....and anything less will be a "fail" for which they can blame Leath or Greene. 

I think it really depends on what our powers see as the way forward. Bill Clark would be excellent to build on for a few years if we think Saban has maybe 3-4 years left. I'm not saying we should totally base our future off Saban but realistically a coach will have a much better time once he is gone. If we think Saban is there for another 7-10 years then we have to go get a Top 5-10 guy, pay him like a top 2-3 guy and then tell him to go kick Saban in the teeth. 

I don't care either way really. I'll always support Auburn and I'm young enough to be okay with holding out for a few years. But the older, big money guys probably need to make a decision one way or the other. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I agree . I would take coach Bill yesterday.

Instead of a huge buyout give the dude hella incentives. 

1 minute ago, VAtiger12 said:

I think it really depends on what our powers see as the way forward. Bill Clark would be excellent to build on for a few years if we think Saban has maybe 3-4 years left. I'm not saying we should totally base our future off Saban but realistically a coach will have a much better time once he is gone. If we think Saban is there for another 7-10 years then we have to go get a Top 5-10 guy, pay him like a top 2-3 guy and then tell him to go kick Saban in the teeth. 

I don't care either way really. I'll always support Auburn and I'm young enough to be okay with holding out for a few years. But the older, big money guys probably need to make a decision one way or the other. 

Well the big money guys are part of the problem. They were the ones , IMO, who caused this mess. Now they are making a bigger mess. Again, I have no sources to validate but just going off my emotions right now which is in a tailspin lol.

Archived