Josh Moon has some Malzahn info

TitanTiger

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

WBRC FOX6 Sports has confirmed an initial report from Auburn Undercover that Malzahn will see his $32 million buyout reduced by an unspecified amount. A source close to Auburn University also tells WBRC that Malzahn has agreed that Auburn will effectively end paying buyouts for assistant coaches, thus forcing Malzahn to pay buyouts himself for any assistant coach that he seeks to dismiss...

http://www.wbrc.com/2018/11/27/gus-malzahn-accept-reduced-buyout-remain-auburn/

Boggles my mind that 1)Anyone would accept being hamstrung like that and 2)Sexton would even review a contract revision of that type

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

SIAP: Do we have any confirmation that such an offer was made to Gus to accept a lower buyout? Don't show me PMs article or any rehash of his article. Are there any independent sources reporting this?

I'm just not sure that makes any sense at all. I'm having a hard time believing either party would offer or accept a deal like that.  Only part of the story that doesn't "jive" imo.

I actually believe that this statement is the one "kumbayaa" between the pro-gussers & anti-gussers.

This supposed re-negotiation is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. 

And I've said some pretty stupid things....and heard myself say them.

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

WBRC FOX6 Sports has confirmed an initial report from Auburn Undercover that Malzahn will see his $32 million buyout reduced by an unspecified amount. A source close to Auburn University also tells WBRC that Malzahn has agreed that Auburn will effectively end paying buyouts for assistant coaches, thus forcing Malzahn to pay buyouts himself for any assistant coach that he seeks to dismiss...

http://www.wbrc.com/2018/11/27/gus-malzahn-accept-reduced-buyout-remain-auburn/

Such a mess. 

2 minutes ago, selias said:

Boggles my mind that 1)Anyone would accept being hamstrung like that and 2)Sexton would even review a contract revision of that type

Agree with you on 1. As for 2, Sexton has a legal responsibility to present these offers to his client, and it's up to his client to decide what to do at the end of the day. 

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Agree with you on 1. As for 2, Sexton has a legal responsibility to present these offers to his client, and it's up to his client to decide what to do at the end of the day. 

You reckon this was Sexton & Gus when Gus agreed?

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

It still blows my mind. A restructuring of the contract like that does not in any way benefit his client

One more thing...the article supplied above says "WBRC FOX6 Sports has confirmed an initial report from Auburn Undercover." Not trying to get into semantics here, but to "confirm a report" doesn't necessarily mean that the report itself was factual, just that the report was reported, right?

see the problem im having is that not only does it not make sense, i can't find or talk to anyone here in auburn that has corroborated this story...

Just now, ausburn said:

Guaranteed contracts

Right. For instance, if Chip is fired, he is promised the rest of his contracted salary. It's technically not a buyout. 

Ok so here's what I'm getting at: i'm calling Bull-oney on this report. No one in my circles would call their contract a "buyout," which makes me question more the validity of the story. 

When things don't make sense, I think we have to question the source material. 

Fire away if you think I'm crazy. 

3 minutes ago, selias said:

It still blows my mind. A restructuring of the contract like that does not in any way benefit his client

No it doesn't, and it undermines Gus' control over his program, it undermines his power to hire new assistants, it shows a lack of confidence and support by the university, and perhaps it shows some weakness in Gus. Moreover, I can't imagine that the net financial benefit from reducing his buyout outweighs the overall harm this does to the program. 

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

After listening to that, my guess is this is going one of two ways:

1.  Auburn guys who want to replace Gus with a "homerun hire" get their man and Auburn pays a substantial amount of the buyout to send him on his way.

2. Auburn realizes it's stuck with Gus and firing him to hire a Jeff Brohm is untenable after floating the likes of Bob Stoops out there.  But the demands they put out there to get him to leave of his own accord they now realize hurt Auburn more than anyone.  You need to build the football facility.  You can't hamstring him from fixing the offensive side of things.  So a restructured deal will be announced that reduces the buyout significantly, but they back down on the more onerous stuff so he can go get some new offensive coaches.

I just can't see it happening any other way at this point. 

I seem to agree on this scenario too, but I have a problem with #2.

Why would they admin put controls on his assistants? What was the problem before with him hiring and firing assistants.?

We know that part of the problem is still somewhere in the offensive scheming and play calling that frustrates us fans. How is keeping CL going to help repair the offensive issues? 

What is Gus' plan to fix the offensive side of the ball? I'm not talking personnel, but with the plan and playcalling. How can the Admin allow Gus to fix it HIS way, if that is part of the problem.

1 minute ago, passthebiscuits said:

One more thing...the article supplied above says "WBRC FOX6 Sports has confirmed an initial report from Auburn Undercover." Not trying to get into semantics here, but to "confirm a report" doesn't necessarily mean that the report itself was factual, just that the report was reported, right?

see the problem im having is that not only does it not make sense, i can't find or talk to anyone here in auburn that has corroborated this story...

I mean.. do you really need another news agency to confirm that a report has been reported? You could go to 247 and confirm that yourself. To my knowledge it’s about confirming the details of the report

Much of this all is outside the lines of normal.  Has to be very tight lips at the top. Acting like all is normal.  Appearances are the contract is being reworked and all is quite until agreed.  Or a great  coupdetat is in the works.

1 minute ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I mean.. do you really need another news agency to confirm that a report has been reported? You could go to 247 and confirm that yourself. To my knowledge it’s about confirming the details of the report

I totally agree...unless the station was garnering some pretty easy pub. 

3 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

but to "confirm a report" doesn't necessarily mean that the report itself was factual, just that the report was reported, right?

Not IMO. To me the term means the 2nd Writer got the same info as the 1st writer. It may or may not speak to actual facts.

5 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Not sure what you feel about JGT but he has reported the same as PM.

19 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I actually believe that this statement is the one "kumbayaa" between the pro-gussers & anti-gussers.

This supposed re-negotiation is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. 

And I've said some pretty stupid things....and heard myself say them.

What is wrong with renegotiating a deal that even all of us thought was wrong and totally unacceptable to give a coach who, as of the first year of the contract failed to be successful, and earn the increase?

There are other issues in Gus coaching the offense philosophy that needs to addressed and a new plan presented to his AD.

But gettting a better deal for the University seems fine to me...who cares if it seems crazy

Just now, ellitor said:

Not sure what you feel about JGT but he has reported the same as PM.

Ok, yes that does make me feel better about the "report." Thanks, E.

however, now i feel sick again. I'm grasping at straws. This is insanity!

I could see Gus being open to restructuring due to knowing that next year is likely it for him if he doesn't prove himself. In his mind, he could think that would give him a little leeway to at least last through next year. Many would think (as i probably would) why would I be willing to restructure a deal if they want me gone and likely will fire me next year? Valid point. However at the same time...what job is Gus going to get that's better than Auburn? Seems very clear that Gus doesn't want to leave Auburn on his own. So, by restructuring he may think he's showing good will and in return, we'll show him a little mercy. I honestly don't know....thinking out loud but that's the only reason I could think that he'd even be willing to lower the buyout. 

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Gus is willing to give back for two reasons. he knows he let folks down and he loves Auburn. i would hope that if someone loved Auburn that much they would give gus props for that anyway. instead some of you turn it into something horrible as usual......

He wants to keep his job bro. Tons of people have acknowledged he’s a great man who clearly loves Auburn; he’s just a terrible coach. Seeing people complain about posters “Gus bashing” is getting as annoying as the “bashing” itself. But yes, props to Gus for being a great guy, even though that’s not the problem 

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

What is wrong with renegotiating a deal that even all of us thought was wrong and totally unacceptable to give a coach who, as of the first year of the contract failed to be successful, and earn the increase?

There are other issues in Gus coaching the offense philosophy that needs to addressed and a new plan presented to his AD.

But gettting a better deal for the University seems fine to me...who cares if it seems crazy

It's not so crazy to offer (unless you thought Gus wouldn't accept it and would move on willingly), it just seems crazy to accept it? What's in this for Gus? He has no choice but to take it or move on? Why wouldn't you just say, no thanks a deals a deal and if you want me gone then pony up the $.

Auburn’s Football Coach Might Make One Of The Dumbest Financial Decisions Possible

David Hookstead | Reporter

Auburn football coach Gus Malzahn is apparently willing to accept a reduced buyout in order to remain the team’s head coach.

247 reported the following details on the situation Tuesday:

Though no agreement has been finalized and changes remain possible, Gus Malzahn is on the verge of accepting a reduced buyout and other limitations to remain for his seventh season as Auburn’s head football coach, sources told AuburnUndercover.

Malzahn’s buyout, sources said, would be reduced by an unspecified amount. Any coaching staff moves would have to be revenue neutral, effectively removing the possibility of paying buyouts for assistant coaches and assuring Chip Lindsey would remain as offensive coordinator unless he chooses to leave.

Malzahn’s deal is currently worth about $49 million and the buyout is a bit north of $32 million. That would mean Malzahn would be an idiot of epic proportions to accept any kind of reduction. Let me make this crystal clear as the resident financial expert at the company, making more money is better than making less money. (RELATED: The Final AP College Football Poll Of The Regular Season Is Here. Find Out Who Is Number One)

The Tigers have reportedly already made it clear they don’t plan to kick Malzahn to the curb. Honestly, he holds all the power here. Why the hell would he give up an inch?

Okay, so they don’t want to have him with a big buyout. That’s a real shame. Guess they shouldn’t have agreed to the contract then.

If I was Malzahn’s agent, my advice would be incredibly simple. Don’t accept one penny less, and force them to fire you if they don’t like it. You’re going to get paid either way. You might as well set yourself up for the most money possible.

Plus, then you can go on ESPN for a year or two, keep cashing checks and then get a different coaching job. I don’t understand how this is even a topic for discussion.

Again, Malzahn is an idiot if he takes a reduced buyout. He’s an absolute idiot.

2 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

He wants to keep his job bro. Tons of people have acknowledged he’s a great man who clearly loves Auburn; he’s just a terrible coach. Seeing people complain about posters “Gus bashing” is getting as annoying as the “bashing” itself. But yes, props to Gus for being a great guy, even though that’s not the problem 

Wow, to be a spud, you seem quite rational. You have a new follower.

3 minutes ago, ausburn said:

Auburn’s Football Coach Might Make One Of The Dumbest Financial Decisions Possible

David Hookstead | Reporter

Auburn football coach Gus Malzahn is apparently willing to accept a reduced buyout in order to remain the team’s head coach.

247 reported the following details on the situation Tuesday:

Though no agreement has been finalized and changes remain possible, Gus Malzahn is on the verge of accepting a reduced buyout and other limitations to remain for his seventh season as Auburn’s head football coach, sources told AuburnUndercover.

Malzahn’s buyout, sources said, would be reduced by an unspecified amount. Any coaching staff moves would have to be revenue neutral, effectively removing the possibility of paying buyouts for assistant coaches and assuring Chip Lindsey would remain as offensive coordinator unless he chooses to leave.

Malzahn’s deal is currently worth about $49 million and the buyout is a bit north of $32 million. That would mean Malzahn would be an idiot of epic proportions to accept any kind of reduction. Let me make this crystal clear as the resident financial expert at the company, making more money is better than making less money. (RELATED: The Final AP College Football Poll Of The Regular Season Is Here. Find Out Who Is Number One)

The Tigers have reportedly already made it clear they don’t plan to kick Malzahn to the curb. Honestly, he holds all the power here. Why the hell would he give up an inch?

Okay, so they don’t want to have him with a big buyout. That’s a real shame. Guess they shouldn’t have agreed to the contract then.

If I was Malzahn’s agent, my advice would be incredibly simple. Don’t accept one penny less, and force them to fire you if they don’t like it. You’re going to get paid either way. You might as well set yourself up for the most money possible.

Plus, then you can go on ESPN for a year or two, keep cashing checks and then get a different coaching job. I don’t understand how this is even a topic for discussion.

Again, Malzahn is an idiot if he takes a reduced buyout. He’s an absolute idiot.

I wouldn't do it but i HOPE Gus is dumb enough to do so! PLEASE!

Archived