Josh Moon has some Malzahn info

TitanTiger

15 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

One more thing...the article supplied above says "WBRC FOX6 Sports has confirmed an initial report from Auburn Undercover." Not trying to get into semantics here, but to "confirm a report" doesn't necessarily mean that the report itself was factual, just that the report was reported, right?

see the problem im having is that not only does it not make sense, i can't find or talk to anyone here in auburn that has corroborated this story...

Bingo. The “confirmation” is referencing the original report, not anything new.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

It's not so crazy to offer (unless you thought Gus wouldn't accept it and would move on willingly), it just seems crazy to accept it? What's in this for Gus? He has no choice but to take it or move on? Why wouldn't you just say, no thanks a deals a deal and if you want me gone then pony up the $.

You should read the articles by JGT the past few days. It explains Gus so well. He is a different bird. He has never been fired & he takes the absolute most pride in that since so many coaches in his profession have been fired at some point. Gus is basically forcing AU to keep him til they are concretely ready to fire him.

No matter if any changes happen with the contract and/or assistant coaches....i don't see Gus surviving next year anyway. I predict he probably gets canned after we lose at LSU yet again. 

We look so dumb right now. PTB look stupid, and i mean prez, AD, and most importantly- boosters. How have these guys and gals gotten so successful in their businesses yet cant figure out how to fore a coach. Fire him and go get Bill Clark. Not bc i think BC is the savior but because its a good solid hire. That wont happen now

9 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

What is wrong with renegotiating a deal that even all of us thought was wrong and totally unacceptable to give a coach who, as of the first year of the contract failed to be successful, and earn the increase?

There are other issues in Gus coaching the offense philosophy that needs to addressed and a new plan presented to his AD.

But gettting a better deal for the University seems fine to me...who cares if it seems crazy

Note: I'm only basing this on the media info I've seen.

Stupid for Gus: He takes less money if they fire him, yet they're hamstringing his ability to hire/fire coaches to help him right the ship.  Plus, he's GOT to know this hurts recruiting, MIGHTILY.

Stupid for Auburn: You're keeping Gus another year + *see above*.

Where's the positive here?  Saving a few million bucks that supposely some big time supporters are already more than willing to pay to get rid of Gus?

This whole episode with all the different "reports" reminds me of something Pat Dye said when he was named the football coach at Auburn.  "Auburn people talk too much".  Nothing has changed in over 30 years.  This whole thing stinks.  None of this information should be public.

Gus’ reaction after Auburn let’s him stay with the reduced buyout thinking he can win the natty next year 😂

FA284A4F-62C5-404A-BFB9-D86518D32FA2.gif

I'm gonna join the fun of making stuff up... maybe Gus also restructured the area of his contract that dictates how much he owes if he leaves. That way, he keeps his "I've never been fired", moves to another school, and saves everyone (including himself) a ton of $.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You should read the articles by JGT the past few days. It explains Gus so well. He is a different bird. He has never been fired & he takes the absolute most pride in that since so many coaches in his profession have been fired at some point. Gus is basically forcing AU to keep him til they are concretely ready to fire him.

Where's the concrete? I'll get started.

4 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

Gus’ reaction after Auburn let’s him stay with the reduced buyout thinking he can win the natty next year 😂

FA284A4F-62C5-404A-BFB9-D86518D32FA2.gif

I think Gus actually believes that though. lol. 

2 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:
10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Where's the concrete? I'll get started.

Wow, we're going a little overboard now aren't we?

Simpsons_14_DABF18_F9.jpg

Last thing I'll say (today):

to be fair, the "report" could be 100% factual, and there is this renegotiated contract out there. Still doesn't make much sense and makes all sides look terrible. Also, i just can't find anyone to tell me that this actually happened/exists. 

12 minutes ago, kwagoner said:

Bingo. The “confirmation” is referencing the original report, not anything new.

No. They are saying they were able to confirm for themselves what was reported earlier. They aren’t just reposting and referencing 24/7. 

Just now, TitanTiger said:

No. They are saying they were able to confirm for themselves what was reported earlier. They aren’t just reposting and referencing 24/7. 

Perhaps through the same unnamed source? Ok ok. I give. I'll hang up and listen.

1 minute ago, passthebiscuits said:

Haha yes--I only mean figuratively. Still Auburn through and through. war eagle!

Gotcha 😉

Outta likes so 👍

5 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Perhaps through the same unnamed source? Ok ok. I give. I'll hang up and listen.

I would imagine they'd ask that question first.  But it's possible.

27 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

No it doesn't, and it undermines Gus' control over his program, it undermines his power to hire new assistants, it shows a lack of confidence and support by the university, and perhaps it shows some weakness in Gus. Moreover, I can't imagine that the net financial benefit from reducing his buyout outweighs the overall harm this does to the program. 

:bow:

The entire "story" being thrown out (if true) weakens, undermines, and emasculates Auburn University (Leath), Auburn Athletic Department (Greene), Auburn Board of Trustees (Raymond Harbert), Gus Malzhan, and anyone else affiliated with this entire fiasco.  Auburn appears weak, cheap, petty, and totally unorganized at any leadership position all the way from the President to the AD to the BOT to the damn head football coach.  

This is classic corporate hard ball.  Whatever it is that convinced Gus to renegotiate his buyout (if it is a true story) the public will never know.  This is just step one, the next step is what the company really wants which is yet to be known by the public or Gus.  We can all speculate that it is to get rid of Gus, I just don’t know and no one is telling.  If this new buyout is signed without a SnapBack to the old buyout if Gus is let go, watch out Gus.

Right now Auburn is in Gus’ head and it’s reeling. Sexton, I’m sure, is advising Gus not to sign, but it’s Gus that drives that.  In the meantime, Sexton is looking for a landing spot as a precaution. You know behind the scene, not as a bargaining chip, but as a survival tool.  

Auburn is dealing from a position of strength, especially if it has a “Jimbo type” deal with a homerun hire waiting to be signed a day or two after a decision is made about Gus.

Corporations are run by the CEO types, but do not make a move with the big money unless approved by the CFO types.  Auburn in no different.  Just because “the money is there” doesn’t mean they want to spend it.  The optics may look bad, but the public will get over it.  Just look at what GM is doing over Christmas; and for those that think a new coach will thing twice about being Auburn’s coach, not going to happen.  There is plenty of coaches out there that will be confident enough to take the job.  If Louisville can find one, I’m sure Auburn can.

With regard to the corporate hard ball; JMO, but I’ve seen it happen many times.

Has this been posted? Again, I feel its okay to be skeptical of all this at this time (free content): 

I reached out to Auburn president Steven Leath's office

BrandonMarcello 14088 posts

1. I reached out to Auburn president Steven Leath's office Wednesday morning seeking comment on our report. I also asked this question: Have things been settled with Gus Malzahn to assure he is the head coach of the football program?

The response from the president's office: "There’s no information or comment at this time."

UPDATE (11:46 a.m.): The president's office wanted to follow up on their comment:

"Looking at your post, I should have been more clear that there has been no change from what the AD and president have previously said, which you have reported."

Both athletics director Allen Green and president Steven Leath told Auburn Undercover in November that Gus Malzahn will be the coach in 2019.

https://auburn.247sports.com/Board/42/Contents/I-reached-out-to-Auburn-president-Steven-Leaths-office-125502499/

34 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I seem to agree on this scenario too, but I have a problem with #2.

Why would they admin put controls on his assistants? What was the problem before with him hiring and firing assistants.?

Because they were initially using that as a way to make Malzahn hate the deal and choose to leave.  He didn't.  So if #2 happens, I think they'll relent somewhat on the assistants thing.  

34 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

We know that part of the problem is still somewhere in the offensive scheming and play calling that frustrates us fans. How is keeping CL going to help repair the offensive issues? 

What is Gus' plan to fix the offensive side of the ball? I'm not talking personnel, but with the plan and playcalling. How can the Admin allow Gus to fix it HIS way, if that is part of the problem.

I agree, which is why I think the admin will relent on this to a degree.  I don't think Gus and CL work well together so there needs to be someone else in that slot.  So they'll probably work with Gus to let him get another OC and perhaps other coaches.  They'll probably retain veto power on some hires.  They'll probably come to some agreement on how much of a budget he has to do the hires, etc.  It will be less control than they originally put out there to try and scare him off, but they won't be handing him free rein to do whatever he wants either.

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

:bow:

The entire "story" being thrown out (if true) weakens, undermines, and emasculates Auburn University (Leath), Auburn Athletic Department (Greene), Auburn Board of Trustees (Raymond Harbert), Gus Malzhan, and anyone else affiliated with this entire fiasco.  Auburn appears weak, cheap, petty, and totally unorganized at any leadership position all the way from the President to the AD to the BOT to the damn head football coach.  

If the story isn't true I think it's a ploy to undermine Leath. At least that's my conspiracy theory.

41 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I could see Gus being open to restructuring due to knowing that next year is likely it for him if he doesn't prove himself. In his mind, he could think that would give him a little leeway to at least last through next year. Many would think (as i probably would) why would I be willing to restructure a deal if they want me gone and likely will fire me next year? Valid point. However at the same time...what job is Gus going to get that's better than Auburn? Seems very clear that Gus doesn't want to leave Auburn on his own. So, by restructuring he may think he's showing good will and in return, we'll show him a little mercy. I honestly don't know....thinking out loud but that's the only reason I could think that he'd even be willing to lower the buyout. 

CGM will never get another job as good as the Auburn HC job, EVER. 

Many question if he had the chops to get it in the first place.  The whole on-the-job-training exercise lasted years and the guy still has so much learning and evolving to do, even after nearly a decade inside this program.  

1 minute ago, keesler said:

CGM will never get another job as good as the Auburn HC job, EVER. 

Many question if he had the chops to get it in the first place.  The whole on-the-job-training exercise lasted years and the guy still has so much learning and evolving to do, even after nearly a decade inside this program.  

That's my point though. He knows that so he may be willing to accept this crazy deal IF it means he gets at least another year. I agree with you 100%. I'm just trying to think of why he even would be open to the changes. 1. Because he knows that AU will be the best job he will likely ever get and/or 2. He actually believes next year will be successful. 

Archived