NC State Pregame/Postgame Thread

Scotty2Hotty

4 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

If they do shoot the lights out, we’re gonna need to hit some threes as well. 

We haven’t shot the three consistently well on the road the last two seasons. Very concerned. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I gotta tell ya it's pretty empty in here as of right now 

LET'S GOOOO

Can you provide an update a few mins in? I would be interested in how the crowd is. Thanks!!

Statistically, AU and NC State look very similarly. I have watched a little bit of tape on them and we are the better team. We have more talent, a higher ceiling, and a better mix of roles. The question really just comes down to how well we play. I've read most of this thread and other posters have pointed out some key guys etc so I won't due that here. I do want to point out a couple things. First is the strength of schedule so far, AU is 86th and NC State is 337th. The winning percentage of their opponents is 30% while ours is 54%. 

I think our defense will be considerably better than anything they have seen this season. I think our athleticism will be higher than anything they have seen this season, and our energy will be too. 

IF CBP has worked out the rotations and we play our game, shoot a decent percentage, and don't let them out-rebound us by more than 5, I think we get the W. 

Good road test.

Got to have more effort, and more intensity.  Too much standing around offensively and not following the shots ups.... Getting beat on the boards and defensively

Two bad calls already by the refs....  One was the call on Harper and the second was that flagrant one....  Not cool

Oh my goodness!!!  That ref refused to call the foul right in front of him.. The guy threw our man down!!  The fix is on and Bruce is gonna get Teed tonight

3 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Hahahaahaaa good grief

I'll get over it.  Expected to see us play better than that.  Looked like early morning work on Monday after a hard weekend in Vegas.  

9 hours ago, newclasspacck said:

I'm just really excited to play you guys and hope we can make it a more common thing.  You guys are my Favorite SEC school by far. 

I've liked NC State for several decades now. Years ago I was fortunate enough to spend some time with a lovely young lady who was an NC State grad. Very fine relationship while it lasted and I've rooted for the Wolfpack ever since, when they aren't playing Auburn.

That was awful. We played like absolute garbage for most of the game. On top of that the refs made some pretty questionable calls. But we only lost by 7 points so there’s that. 

I was really puzzled by the coaches seeming to refuse to admit that Brown was a liability on the floor. He was rattled from the start yet he stayed in for most of the game. Maybe Pearl was letting him struggle to see if he could pull himself out of it? I’m really not sure. Now don’t get me wrong plenty of our guys played poorly but Brown could literally not touch the ball without having a turn over. 

We have 10 guys who can play so if just like to see pearl try some different things in that situation. Maybe we don’t have anyone else other then Harper and Brown who can play the 2? Just not sure. Put doughty there or even Dunbar. But that was a pretty concerning performance. Hoping to see better on Saturday when I attend the game

No doubt Brown has some mental problems.  I am trying not to imagine a more serious problem here. If not for the inconsistencies we have seen with him through the years i would believe something is going on with him.  But he just had the game where he was lights out with his stroke, so i think last night he was just too emotional and trying way too hard and could not relax and have fun.   Maybe Bruce can start Mccormick / Doughty Saturday with Harper and just ease Brown back in and see if they can take some of the pressure off him.  The whole team looked out of whack, and i can understand seeing they were denied access to the court before the game as normal-- because NC State said they had grad things going on.  They made AU practice at a high school so the whole thing stank to me with the early calls by the refs.  We are going to have to be disciplined enough to rise over bad calls and emotional games such as last night.

Too much dribbling, not enough ball movement.  That's what I saw for most of the night.  We're at our best offensively when we're making the extra pass a running guys off screens/drives.  Last night there was a lot of dribble action on the perimeter that went nowhere, accompanied by incredibly sloppy ball handling.  The fact that we were still in that game late in the 2nd half gives me hope that we enough talent to overcome some bad nights, but this was likely the worst game we'll play all year.

hope we use doughty at the 2 more.  weve already played harper at the 2 more than all of last year.  Jvon had some positives, like streaking to the basket (no doubt he is quick), but still had some mistakes we cant have.  harper cant go 40 minutes a game all season - plus he had his share of turnovers.  there has to be a productive backup 1/2 combo that does not incorporate harper.  Jvon has obviously improved from early season, but has a ways to go.  dunbar at the 2 would be interesting.  hes as athletic as anyone, but not sure how hed be at guarding another teams 2?  so i'd assume doughty will be the desired backup at the 2.  

i'm all for trying doughty at the 2 to start this next game.  start brown on the bench - not as punishment - but as a mental reset.  everyone in sports needs that from time to time and we have the athletes to do that this year. 

harper/doughty/dunbar/chuma/wiley as the starting five. 

rotate in jvon/brown/purifoy/spencer/Amac.

wiley showed me enough the last couple games that he should see more minutes.  Amac has had a tough go recently.  spencer also, but there is no denying he has the "wants" to play hard.  i dont know if purifoy can replicate herron going to the basket, but i sure as heck want to see him try.  2 games and zero times going to the rim, although limited minutes.  i'd have stuck purifoy out there last night and given him a play to go to the basket.

16 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

2 games and zero times going to the rim, although limited minutes.  i'd have stuck purifoy out there last night and given him a play to go to the basket.

He was in the game for just a few  moments each time I saw him.....took and missed a 3,  got a charge and then something else bad...….each play got him back to the bench.  BP must have him on a very short leash.....which may explain why he was out there so little.  I thought he had been practicing and was ready for action but :dunno:    can't see how he gets quality time the way he's looked so far. 

One thing is quite clear: At this point in time, we are not a top-ten team and maybe not top 20. Had it not been for a super-human 15 minutes from Harper, we'd have lost the UAB game also.

I poo-poohed the idea, but a few weeks ago someone posted that adding Purifoy might do more harm than good. Obviously, that's now a possibility because it's not just the game situations that have changed, practice has by definition changed too. Here's hoping Coach Pearl can get it worked out.

Archived