NC State Pregame/Postgame Thread

Scotty2Hotty

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

One thing is quite clear: At this point in time, we are not a top-ten team and maybe not top 20. Had it not been for a super-human 15 minutes from Harper, we'd have lost the UAB game also.

I poo-poohed the idea, but a few weeks ago someone posted that adding Purifoy might do more harm than good. Obviously, that's now a possibility because it's not just the game situations that have changed, practice has by definition changed too. Here's hoping Coach Pearl can get it worked out.

It hasn't been enough time for practice to change. The guys aren't hitting their shots. They don't know any way to score besides that or how to effect the game so.....I posted there would be chemistry stuff when dp came back but nothing to say we are a worse team because of him. He has nothing to do with the starters though, and last night the bench did their job. Not trying to harp but there's no reason Brown should have 6 turnovers, doughty 3 Harper 4.....

Bryce is so mentally fragile that bringing him off the bench really may result in us losing him forever. We need him to be hitting and I just don't think opting to bring him off the bench will help. But if he keeps playing like this Bruce will not have much of a choice. 

I was so bummed by how poor his body language was all game long. During timeouts, during commercial breaks, while he was on the bench, while on the floor, you name it. Sulk city. We need him to snap out of it. Boy I'm worried about that Murray State PG on Saturday

I really think when Wiley is in there he needs a post touch every damn time down. 

Let's resort to jacking 3s up when we are going with a smaller lineup. But Wiley was abusing NCSU but everyone else on our team wouldn't let him dominate. Bruce even said we did take advantage of our advantage. I hope this loss leads to a new team wide, team-first buy in. 

29 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I really think when Wiley is in there he needs a post touch every damn time down. 

Let's resort to jacking 3s up when we are going with a smaller lineup. But Wiley was abusing NCSU but everyone else on our team wouldn't let him dominate. Bruce even said we did take advantage of our advantage. I hope this loss leads to a new team wide, team-first buy in. 

I thought our guys did pretty well getting the ball to Wiley but as several people noted last night, he does not have the best hands and mishandled several opportunities under the basket.   Among the good news items however is that Spencer was 0 for 0 from the 3 point line last night....

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I thought our guys did pretty well getting the ball to Wiley but as several people noted last night, he does not have the best hands and mishandled several opportunities under the basket.   Among the good news items however is that Spencer was 0 for 0 from the 3 point line last night....

Yup. In Wiley's defense of last night (he could work on his hands in general) it seemed like everyone on our team had an issue with holding on to the ball. There was a time when Bryce was staring at his hands yelling something about the ball. One of Harper's first possessions the ball just flew out of his hands out of bounds, and I think it happened a few more times. Malik Dunbar also on IG prior to the game apparently snapped a pic of the adidas basketball and said "I hate these". Wiley couldn't catch. We couldn't seem to dribble as a team cleanly. Passes were inaccurate, etc. 

Not making excuses, just stating we played very poor. As I saw it we did a good job getting Wiley involved to start the 2nd half but, yet again, went away from him. They had no answer for Austin. He could have and should have had 20-25 point game last night and him only taking 6 shots in a game where he is our best weapon is just inexcusable to me.

18 minutes ago, Tiger said:

As I saw it we did a good job getting Wiley involved to start the 2nd half but, yet again, went away from him. They had no answer for Austin. He could have and should have had 20-25 point game last night and him only taking 6 shots in a game where he is our best weapon is just inexcusable to me.

Most definitely.....add chuma to this list as well. It should have been the Wiley and Okeke show under the basket.

4 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Most definitely.....add chuma to this list as well. It should have been the Wiley and Okeke show under the basket.

Man. Yes. Chuma HAS to come out of his shell. He just has to. We need him to give us a scoring punch to mitigate the hole Heron left. He doesn't need to do it all but we need him to consistently be scoring in the 10-15 range. He has the ability but seems to defer too much. There was a moment in the game it looked like he was going to the rack then made a jump stop and did not even look to score out of it and he was in the lane. He's only a sophomore so I'm not ready to say this is just who he is from a personality and aggression standpoint but I really would love for him to step up because we know he has it in him to be a major problem for opponents. I, of course, like his size/length and what he does on D though. 

What's frustrating is that ok UAB took us out of our comfort zone and slowed it down to a crawl and made us beat them with a fewer amount of possessions. OK, matchup nightmare for us and we played bad-- it happens. But NC State does play our game. And they beat us. So now what? Could be a wakeup call.

But I would much rather be trying to figure this out right now in December than trying to figure out what the roles are for our guys in late Feb/March like last season after Mac went down. It's a long season but we have a lot of work to do.

Ok can we also maybe get Bryce to stop trying to size up defenders by dribbling in place through his legs etc. It's just not his game and it's hurting us more than anything at this point. He needs to be a catch and shoot guy. And we need to run stuff to put him in that position. When he has to make decisions he's been underwhelming. He will get out of the slump sooner or later but hopefully sooner.

That play where the NC State defender locked Bryce up when the shot clock was winding down was prettttty bad. Couldn't even get a shot up because Bryce's one dribble sequence he does is no longer effective.

We need good Bryce to come back ASAP.

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

It hasn't been enough time for practice to change.

Purifoy isn't more involved in practice recently? Who knew?

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Purifoy isn't more involved in practice recently? Who knew?

When did he come back? A week? Two of the days are game days......you think 3 or 4 practices 2 of those are walk through can do that? Use your brain on something besides being a dick. Do you know transpires in practices? Practices before games? Him talking to the team and being around did this???

I still like the makeup of this team.  We have more talent and depth than we ever have had. Now that we’re at full strength we just need to work on getting the player rotation down.  I hope that will solve what I think are chemistry problems.  

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

When did he come back? A week? Two of the days are game days......you think 3 or 4 practices 2 of those are walk through can do that? Use your brain on something besides being a dick. Do you know transpires in practices? Practices before games? Him talking to the team and being around did this???

Don't I recall he played in a practice game a few weeks ago.   And do we know that his penalty prevented him from practicing with the team?    Otherwise he's been available to work out with scout team or whoever was available.  If on the other hand, he has not been permitted to practice I could see some issues with retuning. 

I did not expect him to be smooth to begin with but I did think he would seem to know the plan for being on the floor.  

It appears Bryce is in his once a year slump. Started it early this year which could be good for us later in season.  This will probably go for about 3 or 4 more games, then he will start hitting 3-5 threes a game again.  It has happened every year as a full time starter.  Last night was the worst game I have seen him play.  Literally a detriment every time he touched the ball. Miss a three badly, score by State,  stumble and fumble the ball while driving, another score by State, followed by another turnover by someone and State has a 6-8 point run. 

I've been saying for awhile that Auburn is probably overrated at present, and expressed my opinion that NC State was pretty much in the ame situation in terms of record, but not ranked -- and that Auburn would have a tough game on their home floor.

Reality is,

(1) way too many turnovers by our guys,
(2) limp rebounding,
(3) big men not playing with authority, and
(3) the team has just not gelled into a team - it's still just a bunch of guys out there doing their thing.

Did I mention turnovers? Damdamdam, sloppy.

I was working and saw very little of the game. I don’t know how we turned it over so much but you can’t win doing that. Still hopeful for this season but the little I saw was not a top 10 team. Way off. 

13 hours ago, cole256 said:

The guard we play Saturday has the ability to get a triple double. Hope he has an off night

The question is does Murray St. have the guards to harass us like NC State did? I'm not overly concerned about 1 player beating us with his offense. I'm much more concerned now with a good defensive team getting us out of our offense and in the heads of our players. 

13 hours ago, cole256 said:

Yeah I do....and I know nobody has ruined a team in 3 days

Nobody said a player ruined a team in three days, or any other length of time. Where do you get this outlandish stuff?

The chemistry has changed recently and the only obvious difference is adding Purifoy to the mix. Let's hope Coach Pearl gets this put rights. In the meantime, reading comprehension would be YOUR friend.

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Chemistry will look a lot better if our open looks start falling again 

DP has not been involved enough yet to say that he has been a positive or negative.   Poor shooting and bad fundamentals are the issue IMO...and not sure DP will help either situation.

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

DP has not been involved enough yet to say that he has been a positive or negative.   Poor shooting and bad fundamentals are the issue IMO...and not sure DP will help either situation.

Exactly. He's been on the floor what? Like 15 minutes in over 85 minutes of action? 

It's not on DP. We aren't hitting shots right now. Our system is designed to hurt opponents from 3.

Archived