Houston to hire Dana Holgorsen as new Coach.

GwillMac6

1 minute ago, Texan4Auburn said:

So who will be joining Houston in the Big 14 next year?

No one. And it's unlikely they join the Big12 next year either. There likely won't be more realignment until the current TV contracts run out. Then when that happens, I'd be shocked if the Big 12 didn't lose Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. It's unlikely the Big12 becomes the Big14. I mean the Big12 doesn't even have 12 members right now, they only have 10, so they would have to add 4 + hold on to Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to become the Big14.

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

No one. And it's unlikely they join the Big12 next year either. There likely won't be more realignment until the current TV contracts run out. Then when that happens, I'd be shocked if the Big 12 didn't lose Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. It's unlikely the Big12 becomes the Big14. I mean the Big12 doesn't even have 12 members right now, they only have 10, so they would have to add 4 + hold on to Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to become the Big14.

I'm sorry, but if Pete Thamel says they aren't going to the Big 12 then its going to happen...........you apparently missed the joke.

2 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I'm sorry, but if Pete Thamel says they aren't going to the Big 12 then its going to happen...........you apparently missed the joke.

I guess so... My apologies.

I saw him say they wouldn't ever get into the Big12, but I remember the Big12 saying TCU wouldn't get into their conference...Yet in 2012, TCU started their first season in the Big12. 

Just because the Big12 says it won't happen, doesn't mean it won't eventually. And even if it isn't the Big12, Houston, like TCU will be in a major conference soon. All it will take is a major conference wanting an "IN" in Texas. You could see them join the B1G, ACC, or even the PAC eventually. The PAC is REALLY trying to get Oklahoma, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them jump in the Texas market.

16 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

you apparently missed the joke.

Also I just now realized what you said this time too. It's late and I'm tired. Sorry bro.

2 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I guess so... My apologies.

I saw him say they wouldn't ever get into the Big12, but I remember the Big12 saying TCU wouldn't get into their conference...Yet in 2012, TCU started their first season in the Big12. 

Just because the Big12 says it won't happen, doesn't mean it won't eventually. And even if it isn't the Big12, Houston, like TCU will be in a major conference soon. All it will take is a major conference wanting an "IN" in Texas. You could see them join the B1G, ACC, or even the PAC eventually. The PAC is REALLY trying to get Oklahoma, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them jump in the Texas market.

Honestly I was just making fun of Thamel.

The PAC has been after several of the Big 12 schools for a bit. Texas, Tech, Ok State, and Oklahoma were targets at one period. Wouldn't be surprised to see them take another shot at them.

2 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Honestly I was just making fun of Thamel.

The PAC has been after several of the Big 12 schools for a bit. Texas, Tech, Ok State, and Oklahoma were targets at one period. Wouldn't be surprised to see them take another shot at them.

Yep. I was in PAC land when they went from the PAC10 to the PAC12. They tried everything in their power to lure Oklahoma and Texas and for a while REALLY thought they had them. It wouldn't shock me in the slightest to see them go after a Texas school again. And Houston would/could be a prime target for them. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

They can win championships absolutely in the American conference. I think Dana is a big enough name where even though he is not known as a great recruiter that cache will help him recruit better than anyone else in the American or close to it. If he wants he can stay here for a decade and win a lot of conference titles.

I think Tillman means Bcs championships not just conference though. Tall task for any coach.

6 minutes ago, Southwest said:

I think Tillman means Bcs championships not just conference though. Tall task for any coach.

lol why in the world would anyone think Houston or any non power 5 school could win a natty? Just not happening.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

lol why in the world would anyone think Houston or any non power 5 school could win a natty? Just not happening.

You don't know Tillman he's a great businessman but nutty when it comes to sports,I'll give him credit he loves the city of Houston..

On 1/5/2019 at 12:06 AM, GwillMac6 said:

I'm with you for the most part. Hell though, they use to say Boise and TCU couldn't compete also.

Holgorson is a big name though and Houston is a very fertile recruiting ground. A long shot, but if he can get them in the playoffs once it might be all it takes. Or as mentioned above by A2E gets them into a power 5 if the Big 12 falls.

8 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Holgorson...gets them into a power 5 if the Big 12 falls.

SIAP, Holgo's contract pays him a $1 Million bonus if UofH gets into one of the big five conferences during his run.  They are clearly pushing that direction full speed ahead.

Archived