Men vs. Ole Miss game thread

WarTiger

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Get mad, I don't care but we won't win too many games with Brown being the lead shot taker and him shooting that much. Just being honest. 

I don't think that's the primary problem, the primary problem is that there's no coach instructing him not to take these shots. He's been jacking up low IQ shots at a hazard to the team since his shoulder injury last season....at least that's been usually how it goes with a few anomalies. Ample time for Bruce to tell him to chill. 

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, tgrogan21 said:

Didn't realize it was THAT bad. If the 3 isn't dropping (which it wasn't the last 5 minutes of the game) you have got to get the ball into the post. Chuma and Wiley have to be fed.

Last year we drove to the basket with a purpose. Without a big man down low there was more room and we had Herron to bale us out when things went sloppy.  This year to much dribbling or passing around the perimeter.  Also when we do throw down to Wiley down low he takes to long to either make a move and shoot or pass back out to reset deeper. He also does not have good vision to pass out of a double team. When Wiley played for the US team he was a dominant rebounder I wondered why he isn't now.

Harper needs to become more of a true PG where he is looking to set people up instead of scoring.  If he gets others involved his scoring and shooting percentage will go up.  

I am like a lot of others Dunbar needs more PT. He is a physical specimen who brings energy and fire to the floor. I might even start him over Okeke one because he is producing and two to light a fire under Chuma who should be our best player. I do blame Harper and Brown some for Okeke not getting enough quality touches.

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Last year we drove to the basket with a purpose. Without a big man down low there was more room and we had Herron to bale us out when things went sloppy.  This year to much dribbling or passing around the perimeter.  Also when we do throw down to Wiley down low he takes to long to either make a move and shoot or pass back out to reset deeper. He also does not have good vision to pass out of a double team. When Wiley played for the US team he was a dominant rebounder I wondered why he isn't now.

Harper needs to become more of a true PG where he is looking to set people up instead of scoring.  If he gets others involved his scoring and shooting percentage will go up.  

I am like a lot of others Dunbar needs more PT. He is a physical specimen who brings energy and fire to the floor. I might even start him over Okeke one because he is producing and two to light a fire under Chuma who should be our best player. I do blame Harper and Brown some for Okeke not getting enough quality touches.

christianbale7.jpg

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I understand you're just using it as a coincidence, but he's literally barely getting burn. It'd probably help the team more throwing him to the fire with full minutes than whatever phenomena you're referencing

I'm not saying he is to blame for these poor performances. I'm just using that as a point of reference when our performance began to decline. Heck, maybe he needs to play more given our recent outings.

I didn't get to watch the game but one glance at the stats tells me the story. It was the Harper and Brown show and they did not deliver. Brown 8-24 FG and 7-19 from three. Harper 3-14 FG and 2-9 from three. No one else made more than 6 field goal attempts. We are going to loss a LOT of games if we try to play hero ball. Have to figure out how to play as a team again. We don't have anyone on our team that should be hogging all the shots like that. 

11 hours ago, AU64 said:

I've been picked on as being negative on BP when I question his style of play....undisciplined and loose...and told to "get used to it".    Well, I still have question about it after watching tonight.     To win playing that style, you have to have several guys dialed in from 3 and if that's not the case somebody has to fight for the rebounds.  Tonight we just had a lot of "one and done" trips down the floor.    OM is a solid team but  I'd be surprised if they are a top 25 team at year end....they will win at home and maybe lose on the road like other SEC teams....and before this game, they looked like an opportunity for a road win for AU.    This is definitely one that got away....not that we ever had a real chance to win it...but it was a game against a less talented team that we needed to win. IMO.

It's not really just about the offensive style. It's all the little things around the quick trigger O. Bruce's signature is being tough on the glass, defending well, and doing the little things to help you win games that allow you to play with a quick trigger. We aren't doing those things which magnifies the bad part of playing with a quick trigger. The thing is, last year we had a quick trigger but we also moved the ball and were one of the most dangerous teams in the conference with the weak side 3s. This year we aren't even looking to move the ball to even get to a point where the weak side 3 is open after a few passes. Combine this with everything else and we look stuck in the mud and definitely not a top 15 team right now. I'd put us in the 18-22 range. 

18 minutes ago, Tiger said:

It's not really just about the offensive style

Maybe it's about definitions of "style"... which seems to be the first guy down takes the shot....or guys pass up two or three open shots and BB waits until there is a guy in his face to take his 3 point shot.    And we got LAX on defense at the end...allowed them to get several clean layups with players just going down the lane unopposed.....and no DP even for a few minutes relief which causes me to wonder what is going on with him.   And Chuma just 5 points in 30+ minutes?  

A bad game..... many more to play....but unfortunately IMO, not too much has changed since game #4 or 5.

11 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

This team goes as Chuma Okeke goes. The quicker we learn to get him the ball and make him the focal point then the better we’ll be. 

I don't know if Chuma wants to be a focal point. Not saying that in any way to disparage the kid because I think you're right - he NEEDS to be using his offensive gifts for this team to improve. But he didn't even score his first bucket until the 2nd half if I'm not mistaken. Inexcusable for someone that skilled and gifted in my opinion. He played 34 minutes and ended up with 5 points and 4 rebounds. That Stat line is crazy for someone as good as Chuma in THAT many minutes.

Brown is a great complimentary offensive weapon but it is not winning basketball for him to be our main option. It's just not his game. It's an unreliable way to go into games hoping Brown is just hot from 3 that night. Couple that with Harper being a non-factor because certain teams can overwhelm him with their size we are up the creek if we refuse to get inside looks and Chuma not looking to score to mitigate Harper's ineffectiveness. 

Is Tyrrell Turbo Jones a legitimate 6'1 or is his size exaggerated? I would love to have a ball handler option that is a little taller, particularly for games where Harper is taken out of his game. 

12 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

Ole Miss much much much much better than anybody thought. Not saying they're gonna win the league, but they're gonna win a bunch more. Something is off with this team's chemistry compared to last year. Oh well, still a lot of bawl left. 

Intentional or just a Freudian slip?  ;D

The first half of this game and the last six minutes remind me of the UAB game. We're giving about 80% effort on rebounding and loose balls and the other guys are giving 100%. With UAB, Harper went on a tear and pulled us out of the fire, otherwise we'd have lost it too. We're not good enough to lack hustle and desire. When we loaf, we lose.

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

I don't know if Chuma wants to be a focal point. Not saying that in any way to disparage the kid because I think you're right - he NEEDS to be using his offensive gifts for this team to improve. But he didn't even score his first bucket until the 2nd half if I'm not mistaken. Inexcusable for someone that skilled and gifted in my opinion. He played 34 minutes and ended up with 5 points and 4 rebounds. That Stat line is crazy for someone as good as Chuma in THAT many minutes.

Brown is a great complimentary offensive weapon but it is not winning basketball for him to be our main option. It's just not his game. It's an unreliable way to go into games hoping Brown is just hot from 3 that night. Couple that with Harper being a non-factor because certain teams can overwhelm him with their size we are up the creek if we refuse to get inside looks and Chuma not looking to score to mitigate Harper's ineffectiveness. 

Is Tyrrell Turbo Jones a legitimate 6'1 or is his size exaggerated? I would love to have a ball handler option that is a little taller, particularly for games where Harper is taken out of his game. 

Chuma is a great player, he just plays very timid.  Not sure you can change that.

15 minutes ago, fishepa said:

Chuma is a great player, he just plays very timid.  Not sure you can change that.

Unfortunately for us I don't think you can change it either. It's just his game

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Unfortunately for us I don't think you can change it either. It's just his game

I think I disagree. I’ve seen many coaches do that to players. I’m not understanding a few of Bruce’s coaching moves this season 

That one drive to the basket by Chuma shows he has it in him.  Now just need that for 30 min.  He showed it that one game at beginning of season.

on offense ... Wiley needs to be the baddest man on the court.  He got punked in this game.  0-fer from the field.

multiple guys got pushed around, rebounds stripped from their hands etc.  this seems the perfect time for a bully ball full contact practice.  I’m talking elbow throws and a few punches to the back.  I don’t want injuries but that was some serious weak sauce last night and I think it is mostly between the ears.

11 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

That one drive to the basket by Chuma shows he has it in him.  Now just need that for 30 min.  He showed it that one game at beginning of season.

on offense ... Wiley needs to be the baddest man on the court.  He got punked in this game.  0-fer from the field.

multiple guys got pushed around, rebounds stripped from their hands etc.  this seems the perfect time for a bully ball full contact practice.  I’m talking elbow throws and a few punches to the back.  I don’t want injuries but that was some serious weak sauce last night and I think it is mostly between the ears.

I noticed that too...when he went up and got the and-1. At that point, I thought the game was about to turn for the better. I said to myself that he needs to do that way more often. He is often too indecisive or passes the ball when the right option would be to drive for an easy score.

We looked bad out there in several areas. I think the thing that hurt us most was the long lay-off. We were out of sync from the start and every time we made a run seemed we ran out of gas before we could go ahead. I hope whomever makes the schedule out from now on learns a lesson from this. Basketball is a game of momentum and flow and it is hard to maintain either one not playing for eleven days.

I'm for sure not a coach but it seems to me Pearl is trying to play too many guys and the don't jell as a team used to working together. We have lots of talent but not a solid first five with two subs. too often they look like  B'ham sandlot group........having fun but playing like a sandlot team

On 1/9/2019 at 11:15 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

Man you really get it. People should follow you and read every post you make here in the basketball forum. 

To your question about Wiley I think we shoot so many jump shots it equals into long rebounds and that's why he doesn't get as many rebounds. He's a good athlete for a big man but he gets most of his boards off of position as opposed to quick twitch reflexes. This isn't gospel but it's what I think though. 

As far as Dunbar I agree with you. There are things you learn just from playing but if he could just get minutes and know he's going to have them and he was comfortable I believe the pay off would be tremendous. I think Pearl did everyone including himself a disservice by not experimenting with Dunbar and daughty as far as a starting role at the beginning of this season. 

I really enjoy talking hoops with you man. When we agree when we don't it's just nice to speak with you. I wish I could have your temperament and class. 

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

Man you really get it. People should follow you and read every post you make here in the basketball forum. 

To your question about Wiley I think we shoot so many jump shots it equals into long rebounds and that's why he doesn't get as many rebounds. He's a good athlete for a big man but he gets most of his boards off of position as opposed to quick twitch reflexes. This isn't gospel but it's what I think though. 

As far as Dunbar I agree with you. There are things you learn just from playing but if he could just get minutes and know he's going to have them and he was comfortable I believe the pay off would be tremendous. I think Pearl did everyone including himself a disservice by not experimenting with Dunbar and daughty as far as a starting role at the beginning of this season. 

I really enjoy talking hoops with you man. When we agree when we don't it's just nice to speak with you. I wish I could have your temperament and class. 

Thank you for the nice comments. I am not sure about my class but my temperament is definitely easy going. I have disagreed with you on basketball a few times and sadly I believe I have been proven wrong way more than not. I still think Purifoy could play 4 on a Pearl team, I know we have never agreed on that and never will but I understand why you disagree with me. I think you are correct about Wiley using position as opposed to fast twitch.  He runs fast but he is not quick and unless you have played sports most people don't understand the difference. That is one of the reasons you will see a guy who runs a 4.6 or 4.7 Forty but can turn on a dime and hit full speed intermediately be a better RB then a guy who has great 4.4 Forty time (straight ahead speed) but it takes him a while to hit top speed and does not change directions quickly.

To me the biggest thing we are missing is someone to effectively drive to the basket and second is our 3 and/or 4 men attacking the glass.

ad nauseum ... Herron & Murray ... 

herron wasn’t necessarily going to give you many 20+ point games but the dude was a lock for 15 a game plus 6 boards and forced the other team to foul him as he went to the hoop.  Shot well outside and was solid from the line.  He did that almost every game.  I’d assume he would have given that to us against a ole miss ... would that alone have turned this game?

murray equaled rebounds, leadership and attitude.  Dunbar provided that this game but we need more people to have it.

42 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

To me the biggest thing we are missing is someone to effectively drive to the basket and second is our 3 and/or 4 men attacking the glass.

ad nauseum ... Herron & Murray ... 

herron wasn’t necessarily going to give you many 20+ point games but the dude was a lock for 15 a game plus 6 boards and forced the other team to foul him as he went to the hoop.  Shot well outside and was solid from the line.  He did that almost every game.  I’d assume he would have given that to us against a ole miss ... would that alone have turned this game?

murray equaled rebounds, leadership and attitude.  Dunbar provided that this game but we need more people to have it.

You don't lose a talent like Heron (highest rated player we ever signed until Wiley signed) and magically get better. We needed some things to happen to mitigate his loss and we have not gotten that. In particular we needed Chuma to step into a scorer/more aggressive role and he has not done that save for like the Washington game. Who knows if he ever will. Sometimes it's just not in a players' personality.

Heron would shine in the half court. His mid range game and just jab-step jumper in the slow-down game was great. And it's exactly what we're missing from a scoring punch standpoint.

I guess I should have stated most of my commentary above is offense related.  I’m not b-ball savvy enough to really critique too much beyond effort/attitude related things ... or low hanging fruit issues.  

In my opinion we are just way too stagnant on offense.  The half court game is atrocious and very painful to watch.  There is no rhythm to the offense whatsoever, which is what leads to just jacking up a lot of 3 balls late in the shot clock. I absolutely hate watching them walk it up the court and then take 10 seconds to get into a set.  I think to get back to some success the ball has to be pushed more and they need to full court press more on d.  Do things to speed up the tempo.  I'm sure the thinking was to incorporate the big men in the low post game but they very rarely throw it in there anyways.  I say get out and run a little more.  

34 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I guess I should have stated most of my commentary above is offense related.  I’m not b-ball savvy enough to really critique too much beyond effort/attitude related things ... or low hanging fruit issues.  

Did not mean to make it seem like I disagreed with you. I'm with you 100%. My bad should've made that clear

1 hour ago, rhughes said:

In my opinion we are just way too stagnant on offense.  The half court game is atrocious and very painful to watch.  There is no rhythm to the offense whatsoever, which is what leads to just jacking up a lot of 3 balls late in the shot clock. I absolutely hate watching them walk it up the court and then take 10 seconds to get into a set.  I think to get back to some success the ball has to be pushed more and they need to full court press more on d.  Do things to speed up the tempo.  I'm sure the thinking was to incorporate the big men in the low post game but they very rarely throw it in there anyways.  I say get out and run a little more.  

And when they have, both post players have looked pretty inept down low.  

I'm most amazed at the lack of energy in general, the lack of flow to the offense, and the lack rebounding.  We were animals last year on the boards with a limited sized roster, but this year, we are being out hustled pretty consistently.  Seems our bigs have decided they don't need to work that hard now that Wiley is here.

Dunbar is the only one bringing the energy and aggressiveness from last season.  Until someone else is found to do the grunt work he does, he should not be allowed to sit down unless he begs to leave the game.  Things just click when he is in the game.

Archived