Michael Cone transfering from Western kentucky

roe4christ

https://247sports.com/Player/Michael-Cone-89251/

Looks like the second time he has transferred.  Was first at Tusculum College in TN.  Division 2 and then transferred to Western Kentucky.

Has the size, does he have the motor, talent, and desire.  We'll see how this one plays out. 

6 hours ago, roe4christ said:

Has the size, does he have the motor, talent, and desire. 

I'm going to go yes on motor and desire. Transferring here as a preferred walk-on, I have to imagine dude loves the game. From video clips he looks like a mean dude who plays through the whistle.

Talent? I'm nowhere close to qualified to break down film, but he doesn't look particularly quick. I would guess that's why he doesn't have a P5 scholarship. Again, though, I defer to folks who know what they're talking about. 

• Like 2

Sounds like this is the kind of guy where you don't worry about motor or motivation.....or entitlement.     He might not make it but I'm betting that lack of effort will not be an issue.  Walk-ons, even preferred walk-ons come in with two strikes against them in my view....and usually know they have to work harder to prove themselves if they want to play. .  

• Like 6

Him being  a walk-on offensive line guy at least brings in another body to compete with and maybe push those above him isn't a bad thing. So I say bring it on young man and work your way into the lineup.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Sounds like this is the kind of guy where you don't worry about motor or motivation.....or entitlement.     He might not make it but I'm betting that lack of effort will not be an issue.  Walk-ons, even preferred walk-ons come in with two strikes against them in my view....and usually know they have to work harder to prove themselves if they want to play. .  

I love preferred walk-ons. It might not show on the box score but I bet he works his ass off and pushes the other scholarship players during practice. That is more than enough.

also, this has nothing to do with this thread but did I see that an offensive lineman from Alabama State got drafted in the first round last night?!

Edited by DAG
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

He love preferred walk ons. It might not show on the box score but I bet he works his ass off and pushes the other scholarship players during practice . That is more than enough.

also, this has nothing to do with this thread but did I see that an offensive lineman from Alabama State got drafted in the first round last night?!

I saw that. Dude showed up in Montgomery as a QB/TE and expected to play QB for the Hornets. A few years and 87 lbs later...

Similar story for the kid from Wazzoo, except the QB part. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I saw that. Dude showed up in Montgomery as a QB/TE and expected to play QB for the Hornets. A few years and 87 lbs later...

Similar story for the kid from Wazzoo, except the QB part. 

And we continue to sign an avg of  1-2 OL per class the last 4 years.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

And except for GRob 5 years ago, none of them have approached a first round draft selection like the aforementioned guys who showed up to college weighing ~240 lbs. Yeah, they're unusual, but I mean, two of them in one draft...

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

I mean he wasn't signed as an OL either. You want us to use one of our skill players, tell him to gain 100 pounds and get on the OL?

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

23 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

I mean he wasn't signed as an OL either. You want us to use one of our skill players, tell him to gain 100 pounds and get on the OL?

I think @bigbird might have been counting Prince Tega and the other one who just moved over.

Regardless, you're good with how we've recruited and developed that position group?

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'm going to go yes on motor and desire. Transferring here as a preferred walk-on, I have to imagine dude loves the game. From video clips he looks like a mean dude who plays through the whistle.

Talent? I'm nowhere close to qualified to break down film, but he doesn't look particularly quick. I would guess that's why he doesn't have a P5 scholarship. Again, though, I defer to folks who know what they're talking about. 

Very stiff, no bend, limited agility and to use a Phish reference he is Prince Caspian when it comes to his footwork and feet.  A high motor and plays through the whistle.  One of those effort guys that you like to have to push others but is limited athletically.  From the film I saw, could have improved by now, but I don't have access to that film.

Edited by auburnphan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Very stiff, no bend, limited agility and to use a Phish reference he is Prince Caspian when it comes to his footwork and feet.  A high motor and plays through the whistle.  One of those effort guys that you like to have to push others but is limited athletically.  From the film I saw, could have improved by now, but I don't have access to that film.

The thanks reaction is for the Phish reference. Hey @ShocksMyBrain, gotta loada this guy!

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I think @bigbird might have been counting Prince Tega and the other one who just moved over.

Regardless, you're good with how we've recruited and developed that position group?

No it was a, there are all sorts of available lineman with potential and we can't sign but 1 or 2 a year and no OTs

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

No it was a, there are all sorts of available lineman with potential and we can't sign but 1 or 2 a year and no OTs

Yep. Just with a quick count in my head it seemed like we had to use the two guys who changed positions just to get up to one or two a year. Definitely agree with you.

At least we have depth, though.

• Like 1

He has 2 years of college football under his belt I was up at practice at Wku one time and saw cone and he was quicker and way more flexible than like half the team and we are seeing his Highschool film so we will just have to see 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

No, the recruiting could obviously be better but what are you exactly supposed to do about that? You can't force anybody to come to your school. 

Hey, this kid is from my hometown and went to my daughter's high school. She graduated in 2009, though, so I don't really know anything about him. I'd love for him to be a success at Auburn. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

And except for GRob 5 years ago, none of them have approached a first round draft selection like the aforementioned guys who showed up to college weighing ~240 lbs. Yeah, they're unusual, but I mean, two of them in one draft...

Shon Coleman (3rd, 2016) and Braden Smith (2nd, 2018) were pretty close.

WDE!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Nice w/Prince Caspian....   nice indeed.  

• Love 1

6 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Bird,  Mcloofus, myself and a few others have been preaching about this the same way Mikey does about LB's. We always shoot for the stud and under recruit the guys who are 3's but have the height, arm length, and agility to become SEC OT's. The guys who with the right weight program  and coaching who can become like the player at Alabama State. When we don't sign the stud OT all the players we should have been recruiting earlier are gone. Everybody goes after the studs but there are fewer studs than teams that want them so you have to have a backup plan that you have been working on all the time not trying to convince some kid you have shown no love for a year that now you really want him. 

You can’t give up recruiting the studs but with how often we’ve completely whiffed on em, it’d be nice if resources were dedicated to get the hidden gems like you’re suggesting 

8 hours ago, MadtownTiger said:

Shon Coleman (3rd, 2016) and Braden Smith (2nd, 2018) were pretty close.

WDE!

I'll give you Smith.

And we've had a couple others perform well at the next level in the post-Tubs era.

Not enough and not nearly enough lately.

160 starting OL spots in the NFL if my math is right. Lots of opportunities for Auburn guys.

10 hours ago, Sizzle said:

No, the recruiting could obviously be better but what are you exactly supposed to do about that? You can't force anybody to come to your school. 

*I don't know but Rodney Garner does. In fact, we've been adequate-to-great recruiting almost every other position.

*Pay me seven figures and I bet I'd figure it out in less than six years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1