Stidham's problem was Auburn's offense

Randman5000

2 minutes ago, wde1968 said:

Gus' offense is the perfect example of system QB.  Without a big run threat at QB it does not work.

Well he's got that big run threat primed and ready for the 2019 season.  Joey's knows the playbook, he's been under Gus' wing long enough to know the system and what makes Gus' offense click.  

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, keesler said:

This is true, but the arguing is happening during football season too, and post season as well.  We have a good coach that consistently turns in mediocre results and when it carries on for a extended period of time, the fans get restless, irritated, agitated and down right pissed.

What I was referring to in particular is latching on to 2-3 topics and arguing non-stop about it for a few months as there is nothing new to talk about.  And then you will see old topics brought up and talked about again into oblivion.  Once Fall camp hits there are easily 5 new topics every week to discuss.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

What I was referring to in particular is latching on to 2-3 topics and arguing non-stop about it for a few months as there is nothing new to talk about.  And then you will see old topics brought up and talked about again into oblivion.  Once Fall camp hits there are easily 5 new topics every week to discuss.

Agree.  

Honestly, I just wonder if Gus has what it takes to make us ALL eat our words?  I used to have faith in him and believe with some experience he could really do well and be a consistent competitor in this league....that was 2-3 yrs ago.  I've been waiting for him to change the narrative for a while now and as long as he manages to average 3-4 losses a year, the same old topics will surface until there are better things to discuss.

17 minutes ago, wde1968 said:

Gus' offense is the perfect example of system QB.  Without a big run threat at QB it does not work.

I used to argue against this but no more. 

36 minutes ago, keesler said:

This is true, but the arguing is happening during football season too, and post season as well.  We have a good coach that consistently turns in mediocre results and when it carries on for a extended period of time, the fans get restless, irritated, agitated and down right pissed.

IMHO, it's been put up or shut up for years and here we are rehashing the same old pablum again on this message board.  At the end of the day only Gus Malzhan can change the narrative.  Personally, I just don't believe he has it in him - he is who he is and everyone of us will be regurgitating this same old tired story this time next year.:sad2:

Can a coach who consistently turns in mediocre results be considered a good coach?  What makes him good?

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I used to argue against this but no more. 

With a passing game that a simpleton could/did draw up, it's an absolute fact.

1 hour ago, triangletiger said:

Can a coach who consistently turns in mediocre results be considered a good coach?  What makes him good?

He is a good representative of Auburn and the brand - Gus will never embarrass Auburn University "off the field", that's a good thing. Although I'm not sure that attribute is a real big deal anymore?  I just know we don't want a Hugh Freeze/Bobby Petrino/Sarkisian/Art Briles type running the show here. 

He's a good recruiter and he has consistently landed top 10 classes here. 

After some trial and error he learned (via Muschamp) to place a high priority on defense and he allows his DC to run that side of the ball, that's good.

He is an average 8 win/season coach in a very tough conference, that's good but it's mediocre now that we have a 12 game regular season.  Historically speaking, Auburn is an average 8 win team, but for the salary this crew is pulling AU should be able to take it up a notch or two and change the future to an upward trajectory and I don't have faith that Gus has it in him to get it done.

Archived