NCAA Regional - Game 2 vs Georgia Tech

5 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

So this is funny.....look at the text under the title of the article. Mr Blum had his article written and had to change it!! Forgot to edit it out🙄C4EE0B97-4C4F-435E-980F-BD34E298D237.png

He did the same thing in our basketball run. AL.com is always prepared to swing at AU. Sloppy journalism. 

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Beaker said:

I know I am getting way ahead, but if we eliminate GT, UNC will host Super Regional, right?  

Is there a chance we host if UNC gets upset also?  

Yes. 

NCAA has a crazy "bid" system for the SR's but you can bet we will host if the Tar Heels get knocked out.  Not happening, in my opinion though.

I want to make sure I have it straight. Whoever we face Sunday at 5 pm, will have to beat us twice to win the regional?  Thanks and let's win it today!

The Tech coach has a great history but JMO....he let his heart instead of his head make the decision to allow a tired pitcher to stay in the game when it was obvious that AU batters were starting to hit him a bit in the previous innings and in the 9th too.     

So ...Fuller this afternoon to start?   or does it depend on who we are playing? 

10 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

So this is funny.....look at the text under the title of the article. Mr Blum had his article written and had to change it!! Forgot to edit it out🙄C4EE0B97-4C4F-435E-980F-BD34E298D237.png

Doh!

11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

HAHAHAHAHHA!!!...... Here is the Auburn call for it. Better?

The results are great, but nothing against Paul Ellen, but it's not a great walk off call. WHen an announcer has that knack to nail it on exciting plays or winning scores or walk off hits, then as fans, we know it. Ellen is good, but does not have that voice that gives you goose bumps or that crescendo at that epic moment on a call.

Rod had it, Jim had it. There are others we as fans have heard for our favorite teams too.

And that ESPN announcer? It's bad when he doesn't even know the situation, and thinks a walk off homerun has tied it up, instead of wins it. lol. He realizes right at the end of his statement. So obvious.....

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

I want to make sure I have it straight. Whoever we face Sunday at 5 pm, will have to beat us twice to win the regional?  Thanks and let's win it today!

You are correct sir!

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

The results are great, but nothing against Paul Ellen, but it's not a great walk off call. WHen an announcer has that knack to nail it on exciting plays or winning scores or walk off hits, then as fans, we know it. Ellen is good, but does not have that voice that gives you goose bumps or that crescendo at that epic moment on a call.

Rod had it, Jim had it. There are others we as fans have heard for our favorite teams too.

And that ESPN announcer? It's bad when he doesn't even know the situation, and thinks a walk off homerun has tied it up, instead of wins it. lol. He realizes right at the end of his statement. So obvious.....

Yep. Definitely would’ve liked to have heard how Rod would’ve called that. 

“Swing and a Drive... DEEP RIGHT FIELD.... RIGHT FIELDER AT THE WALL.... AND THE TIGERS ARE GONNA WIN THE BALLGAME!!!! STEVEN WILLIAMS ON AN 0-2 PITCH WINS IT WITH A DRIVE OVER THE WALL IN RIGHT FIELD, OHHHH WHAT A SWING BY THE SOPHOMORE, AS HE IS MOBBED AT HOME PLATE!! WAR EAGLE EVERYBODY!!!”

24 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Is that Paul Ellen doing the play by play?

I listened briefly and he was the color guy and not the play by play guy.

15 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Making another super regional after losing a #1 overall draft pick pitcher would be a great accomplishment

By the win-loss column it's not been a great year. But keep winning in the post season and no one will remember. Much like the Basketball team, our baseball team has just as much talent as the previous banner year but if we can find our groove late, we can still have a very successful season. War Eagle and let's win one more!

49 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Making another super regional after losing a #1 overall draft pick pitcher would be a great accomplishment

The accomplishment would be far greater in overcoming what we've lost during the year...Daniel, Owen and Burns.  The young and inexperienced pitchers have been thrown into very deep water, nearly drowed at times but are now figuring out how to tread water.  It has been one of the more frustrating seasons for me to watch, win today and that will ease a lot of the pain.  Still should be some serious accountability with two key assistants.  I'd love to hear Williams say something has changed with how Gabe has coached his mental approach (don't know what happened this week but I'm hoping something clicked for the coach that translated to the field for pupil).

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

The Tech coach has a great history but JMO...

No, he doesn't.  I'm betting he's coaching for his job.  He has had an unbeleivable wealth of talent on the flats and has done just about nothing with it.  That was one of the reasons I thought we could have a chance in an Atlanta regional.  I have seen the Jackets lose so many regionals/super regionals on that field.  Hall has lost a regional or super regional 7 freaking times at home...that's got to be a record. They haven't advanced past the first round in 13 years.

1 minute ago, BJCrawford said:

Wow coastal starting off great! Bottom if first ...one out, bases loaded 3-0 and tech just pulled the starting pitcher 

I read somewhere that Tech’s issue this year is pitching depth. I was hoping they would beat Coastal and have nothing left. Still a lot of baseball left in this one though. 

1 minute ago, jared52 said:

I read somewhere that Tech’s issue this year is pitching depth. I was hoping they would beat Coastal and have nothing left. Still a lot of baseball left in this one though. 

What about coastal’s depth? Any insight? A shootout here would use up a lot of pitchers for both teams hopefully

12 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Coastal going to get to the fifth inning with at least a 2 run lead....

4-2 Bottom 4, Coastal to bat

This has gotten weird. The GT pitcher clearly balked with a runner on first and he’s claiming he heard the ump call time. The umps went under the stadium for some reason though balk calls are not reviewable. Announcers said that GT has put the game under protest. 

They uphold the balk. It’s likely someone in the stands yelled something that confused the pitcher. 

GT RF not having an inning. Throws a ball away that allows the batter to get to second. Then missed a bouncer that goes to the wall allowing a run to score and the batter to second. He’s going to hit a game winning HR now. 

Every angle shows players and umps looking toward the 1st Base side as the pitcher stopped.  It's obvious that somebody over there said something, time or balk or something that made the pitcher stop in mid pitch.  

NCAA denies the protest. A fan had yelled, “balk!” (Or maybe “ball”) during the pitch and was not ejected. 

Tech about to be eliminated from their own regional. 

Archived