Steven Leath Out As AU President.

jared52

1 hour ago, DunderMifflin said:

What makes you think that is even a possibility?

Numerous sites, sportswriters, etc seem to think it's a possibility. I'm not saying they know jack s***, but dont act like I'm just making it up out of thin air. 

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Really hope your not referring to me here as a Bruce Pearl hater. I freakin love the guy.  I think the fact he gets a rep from some as a cheater for lying to the NCAA about a stupid bbq is beyond  ridiculous. I'm not so worried that he did anything blatantly wrong, just worried the NCAA is going to somehow hammer us with some sort of tie to Person. I'm worried because I really dont want to see this outstanding momentum we have going stop. 

Given our history of not having nice things for an extended period of time your concerns are understood. Although I think we have 3 guys now who can help being consistency. AD Green with the overall AD & Bruce & Butch in basketball & baseball respectively.

3 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Numerous sites, sportswriters, etc seem to think it's a possibility. I'm not saying they know jack s***, but dont act like I'm just making it up out of thin air. 

And it's the NCAA so nothing is ever 100% til they take action.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Given our history of not having nice things for an extended period of time your concerns are understood. Although I think we have 3 guys now who can help being consistency. AD Green with the overall AD & Bruce & Butch in baseball & basketball respectively.

When did Bruce and Butch switch sports? :dunno:

11 minutes ago, gr82be said:

When did Bruce and Butch switch sports? :dunno:

I went alphabetical in both coach name & sport...Yeah! That's it! That's my story & I'm sticking to it. ;D

Quick  2 cents.   Maybe we lose a scholarship or two or we lose some recruiting visits, restrictions.  The FBI cleared Bruce, one would think this is a big factor.  The 2 players got punished and had to return the money to regain eligibility.  The fact that Person was doing this for personal gain and involved agents with signed players is a factor.  It was not a part of recruiting players to Auburn for a price like LSU and others.  It should be 100% clear that the University had absolutely nothing to gain by Person’s actions.

the only technicality that they get the program is that the stupid rule that the head coach is responsible for everything that happens with his/her program.  Which I question enforcement of.  An assistant sexually assaults a player, the head coach shares the blame even though he/she immediately releases the coach because it is his/her program.  It is not logical, even for the NCAA one would think

33 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Really hope your not referring to me here as a Bruce Pearl hater. I freakin love the guy

Not at all. Talking about people outside of Auburn and Knoxville mainly. 

49 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

He probably forgot that Pitino once nailed one of his assistant coaches wives behind a dumpster at a bar and paid for the abortion later.

Pitino is out of a job now of course but his name was mentioned for the UCLA job a while back …by media probably looking for something interesting to write about perhaps.     Media loves the controversy..  JMO but BP was probably on the back burner for these kinds of stories until the Final Four and all the subsequent interviews, etc.......so time for them to dust off some history......nobody wants to read about some straight arrow coach...or program

21 hours ago, AU64 said:

https://www.collegetuitioncompare.com/best-schools/Southeastern-Conference/

Check again.....state basically sets the tuition...bama is larger and has higher tuition...as does UT.....size and tuition are not much related... 

This is deceptive.   I have been crunching school tuition costs for months.   My son is going to be a (3rd gen legacy ) freshman this year at Auburn. (aerospace eng honors program).   After School offered scholly's it will cost me 4-5 times MORE to send him to Auburn than his other choices of schools.   His other choices of schools were Vanderbilt,  Harvard,  La tech, Arizona U.   And Although Vanderbilt,   Harvard and Arizona's total tuition was higher, Auburn gave out the lowest amount for  scholarships  BY FAR!!!.    After school  offered scholarships,  I could send my song to Harvard  or Vanderbilt  for less than 1/5 the price of going to Auburn.    La tech and Arizona were even cheaper.  What does Auburn offer that makes it worth 5 times more than Harvard or vandy?  How can schools like bama,  Harvard, Vandy,  Arizona offer such large scholly packages while Auburn cant?   I know many AU Alumni that could not afford to send their kids to Auburn because of Auburn's  impotent scholarship program. some of these  have had sent their kids to Alabama which gives out huge schollys for the same student!   IT MAKES ME SICK.  Auburn is missing out on a lot of very well qualified students because of PRICE and VERY weak scholarship offers!

10 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

the only technicality that they get the program is that the stupid rule that the head coach is responsible for everything that happens with his/her program

That's the only way you ever get a big program....otherwise the HC closes his eyes to everything and some  assistant or grad assistant gets fired or suspended over the violations and the coach claims ignorance.   

UNC and other schools dodged responsibility on the basis that the coaches did not know what was going on and a couple tutors and class schedulers got fired....."case closed".  

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

IT MAKES ME SICK.  Auburn is missing out on a lot of very well qualified students because of PRICE and VERY weak scholarship offers!

Agree.....been through the number crunching with grand kids a couple times.....and AU for out of state is about impossible for most families.  Guess the school is using out of state fees to bridge the gap for instate students and actual cost of attendance.  

I live in NC and the big state universities "market" themselves to out of state students and easier for them to get into the schools than instate HS grads.    Two grand kids got out of state tuition waivers from UT and bama without even asking....just based on their 32 ACT scores. Nothing from AU and nothing in state to amount to anything.. 

AU is underfunded from the state level....period …..and has to make up for the cost someway. My man point was that increasing enrollment was not necessarily gong to reduce tuition....but it would certainly change the character of Auburn. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

I live in NC and the big state universities "market" themselves to out of state students and easier for them to get into the schools than instate HS grads.    Two grand kids got out of state tuition waivers from UT and bama without even asking....just based on their 32 ACT scores. Nothing from AU and nothing in state to amount to anything.. 

This this this^^^^       I live in Arkansas,  They market hard toward instate students.  I call it the inbreeding of education.   A kid goes from preschool to college in state,  gets a job as a teacher,  and teaches the next generation the exact same thing in the exact same way they learned.   This next generation grows up from pre schoool to college,  and repeats the process. Generation after generation.  It is 100% regurgitated education.  

Auburn needs to go after the adventurous students that are willing to give up the familiar ( I know how the system works,  and how to work the system),  and take on the challenge of learning in a new system from teachers that were education from outside their home state.   The new culture of living in a new state is an education of it's own.  You just do not get that when you grow up  in the same state  you go to college.    Auburn needs to go after the best students from around the country and offer them as big of scholarships as bama, Harvard,  Vanderbilt etc.  Not just in state students that are taught mostly  by bama , Auburn, and other Alabama state school grads.   Diversity is the key to a solid education.

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I live in NC and the big state universities "market" themselves to out of state students and easier for them to get into the schools than instate HS grads.     

Now I kinda' wish I would have looked into the NC universities. :)

1 hour ago, twilli13 said:

You should know by now to never trust any websites or sportswriters or "talking heads'.  None of them know anything.  2010 with Cam Newton should be all you need to ignore what they have to say.  They were wrong then (in spades) and they are wrong now. 

2 hours ago, WarTiger said:

You should know by now to never trust any websites or sportswriters or "talking heads'.  None of them know anything.  2010 with Cam Newton should be all you need to ignore what they have to say.  They were wrong then (in spades) and they are wrong now. 

Just because they are wrong from time to time does not mean they might not actually be right occasionally but you sure don't want to automatically jump up and accept their stories.   Which is why some of us don't just automatically believe everything we see written about other college programs either.   

Asking as an academic outsider, where does scholarship money come from?  Endowments?  Who is responsible for raising the funds?  My wife's niece, who we raised,  is starting at Troy this fall.  With her Pell Grant and scholarships after making a 30 on the ACT, she's pretty much getting a free ride.   It disturbs me that it is so much  cheaper at Harvard than Auburn.

36 minutes ago, saminbama said:

It disturbs me that it is so much  cheaper at Harvard than Auburn.

I think this myth has already been debunked...

Jay Gogue may be returning to Samford Hall on an interim basis. 

The executive committee for Auburn University's board of trustees met via conference call Sunday afternoon and voted to recommend appointing Gogue as interim president. 

The committee also voted to approve the resignation of Steven Leath as president, effective June 21. 

Gogue was Auburn University president from 2007 until Leath was hired in2017.

The following statement was released by the university on Sunday afternoon:

"The executive committee of the Auburn University Board of Trustees convened telephonically today and voted to accept the resignation of Steven Leath as the institution’s president.

"The committee also voted to recommend Jay Gogue for the position of interim university president. Members of the full Board of Trustees will consider the executive committee’s recommendation during a specially-called meeting on July 8.

"Gogue earlier served for 10 years as Auburn’s 18th president."  

https://www.oanow.com/news/auburnuniversity/au-board-executive-committee-recommends-gogue-for-interim-president/article_6bfee722-95e2-11e9-890f-77b5c77274f4.html

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

I think this myth has already been debunked...

Where is this debunked??..   I just went through all the financial aid stuff  comparing the schools.   The deciding factor for my kid was : Harvard doesn't have an Aerospace program.  Their closest degree was Astrophysics. 

Harvard is an extreme example (they have the worlds largest endowment ... i believe in the Billions).  You can send your kid to Harvard for 10% of your yearly income.  $100,000 family sends their kid for $10, 000.   Not including other schollys the school offers.     Auburn's 2nd highest scholly doesn't even cover half of Auburn's total cost.  The Legacy Scholarship  is a joke.  So whatever you make OoS cost will add up to  $30,000 a year to send your kid to Auburn without some kind of outside aid. 

This is why it is so difficult to get into Harvard.  They only take the cream of the crop,   but they have a huge pool of the best students because they help those with the work ethic, grades and test scores but without the financial means.  Vandy is similar.  Vandy does not want ANY of their student graduating with student loan debts. They willingly accept and sincerely help good students from ANY economic background.   In turn the alum have no debts,  and give to the school's endowment.  Usually in LARGE chunks because they are thankful for what the school did for them.   I don't remember the numbers,  but it was something ridiculous like 90% of the students graduate with ZERO debt at  HU and VU .

1 hour ago, saminbama said:

Asking as an academic outsider, where does scholarship money come from?  Endowments?  Who is responsible for raising the funds?  My wife's niece, who we raised,  is starting at Troy this fall.  With her Pell Grant and scholarships after making a 30 on the ACT, she's pretty much getting a free ride.   It disturbs me that it is so much  cheaper at Harvard than Auburn.

Mostly endowments.  State lottery,  and government handouts.  Here...Arkansas takes care of the instate folks  I could have sent  my son to any school in Arkansas for free,  but he is after HIGHER education,  not lower.  ;)  Of all the schools I would have to say La Tech was the best value for engineers.

Edit.  La tech offers in state wavers with ACT/SAT scores. Engineers starting salaries are one of the highest we looked at of all the schools.  Actively helps on job searching so 90% of gradates have a job lined up before graduating.  They offer great schollies.  and the campus is growing.  New buildings and facilities everywhere.   The campus growth reminded me of Auburn's starting in the late 1980's.  The campus reminded me of a mini Auburn.

All of this financial aid stuff is relative though. I make a fairly good living but am not rich and have two more girls to send to college. After completing the FAFSA we weren’t going to get any help from Duke or Vandy and those places would have set us back $70k+/year to send my oldest; I could have sent her to AU for considerably less and she would have gotten significant aid with her “resume”. She ended up elsewhere but Auburn would have been at least a wash financially with where she is. This is as an in-state student.

23 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Mostly endowments.  State lottery,  and government handouts.  Here...Arkansas takes care of the instate folks  I could have sent  my son to any school in Arkansas for free,  but he is after HIGHER education,  not lower.  ;)  Of all the schools I would have to say La Tech was the best value for engineers.

Just our experience but it is really hard to generalize on this stuff which is why it really pays to look around....everywhere that is within good distance.  

One grandson want to study youth ministry and got nearly a full ride to Liberty based on his 31 ACT and GPA....was much less than any instate school...none of which offered any scholarships.   A grand daughter is in last year of pre-vet medicine.  I've been trying to get her to look at AUburn...she is at NC State.....I did some leg work at AU, ….no help at all for her first year and not even any honest encouragement after that.   She can go to NC State Vet school which is rated as high as AU for $30,000+ less per year....times 4 years....kid has all As and A+ for three years and AU not even interested to give her a look at a scholarship..

The legacy stuff is mostly BS I think.  Me, my brother, his wife and one of his children all went to AU....My wife and I have sponsored a scholarship in the Business School for 20 years.........means nothing.   I love Au and what it did for my life but I'm the end of the line in our family...

I'm not blaming anyone at AU in particular.....it's just the financial situation I guess....underfunded by the state is where it starts and the academic side is in constant competition with the football side for alum financial support. 

Archived