Auburn In The NFL Thread

aujeff11

Noah Igbinoghene: ‘Time to take the next step’ with Miami Dolphins

Updated Jun 01, 2021; Posted Jun 01, 2021

By Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com

When Miami used a first-round draft choice to obtain Auburn cornerback Noah Igbinoghene last year, the Dolphins had the luxury of letting the rookie develop behind Xavien Howard and Byron Jones.

With both big-money cornerbacks returning for Miami, including Howard coming off an All-Pro season, the Dolphins expect Igbinoghene to continue to progress in 2021.

“Noah was in a situation last year where he was able to really concentrate and develop,” Miami defensive-backs coach Gerald Alexander said. “Again, this is a guy that hasn’t played the cornerback position for very long in his career, not just his pro career. He’s developed a lot just as far as his technique, his fundamental footwork, his transitioning and then not to mention developing in our defense and what we’re asking him to do.

“Now it’s time to take really the next step and also learning some stuff on the inside. Now getting a chance to know what the run game looks like and know what keys to look at and guard guys in the slot that are dealing with a little bit more space and having a little bit more presence in the middle of the field, or any help versus out there on the perimeter.

“We have a long way to go. I’m not going to sit here and sugarcoat it like we don’t have a long way to go. But I think for him to be as good as I know and we know that he can be, we hope to continue to make strides where he can become what we think he can.”

Igbinoghene has only three seasons of experience as a defensive back. Coming to Auburn from Hewitt-Trussville High School as a wide receiver, Igbinoghene made the switch to the secondary during spring practice in 2018 after one college season as a pass-catcher.

“I’ve seen great progress with Noah,” Dolphins cornerbacks coach Charles Burks said. “Noah is a guy who played the position for only two years in college. Obviously, he’s a great athlete. He came in, didn’t have an offseason, but he just went to work as soon as he got here. Over the time that we’ve had him, he’s done a really good job of understanding the scheme, understanding multiple positions. That’s what he’s going through right now is being, again, another versatile guy that can do more than just one thing. It’s been a lot of growth. I love where he’s at. Again, he has a tremendous work ethic, attention to detail day-in and day-out.

“I believe in Noah, and I’m glad he’s here.”

Howard and Jones have played a role in Igbinoghene’s development by sharing their experience with him, Burks said.

“As far as picking their brains, they wouldn’t let him sit in a meeting without making him pick their brains,” Burks said. “That’s the type of guys and the type of leaders those guys are. Again, when you have a guy like Xavien Howard and Byron Jones sitting in your meeting room, if you’re a corner, you really have no choice but to develop, because those guys won’t let you be average.”

As a rookie, Igbinoghene played in every game and made two starts, getting on the field for 287 defensive snaps and 255 special-teams plays. Igbinoghene made 13 tackles, recovered two fumbles and broke up two passes.

Igbinoghene played 186 defensive snaps in a three-game stretch during which an injury limited Jones to four plays.

“Noah is giving himself a great chance in regards to how he’s being attentive in meetings and how he’s developing out there on the field and developing his body,” Alexander said of the cornerback’s approach to his second season. “The expectations are going to be the work that he puts in. That’s what I expect. Based on what he’s doing so far, I know he’s chomping at the bit to get into competitive situations to see how far he’s come along the way, and only going to get better as we continue to work.

“Who knows? I think he has the potential to do a lot of special things as we’ve always thought about him and his skill set. It’s just a matter of putting the work in and having it apply on the field and being consistent in the performance.”

As Igbinoghene learns the cornerback position at the NFL level, the Dolphins had him concentrate on outside play as a rookie. As he prepares for his second season, Igbinoghene will get work as a slot corner, too.

“He’s still going to develop as a perimeter corner but also have the versatility to be able to play inside,” Alexander said. “I think when we looked at his skill set, ideally when we got him drafted, we knew that he had the physical ability to do both. In order to focus on the communication part, yeah there is going to be a little bit more that he’s going to have to pay attention to this offseason so he can be an effective communicator playing inside and knowing what to do, especially when you think about the responsibilities in the run game and how that vision changes than being a perimeter corner on the outside. You’ve got to look at a little bit more and know a little bit more in the box as a Star.”

Miami is in the middle week of its three-week OTA schedule, which will be followed by mandatory minicamp on June 15-17 before the Dolphins break for the summer.

• Love 1

Report: Former Auburn WR Eli Stove waived after not passing physical due to significant injury

SDS Staff | 4 hours ago

Former Auburn wide receiver Eli Stove has suffered a major setback as a professional football player.

AL.com’s Matt Zenitz is reporting, per sources, that Stove learned today he has a torn ACL. The report states that Stove has undergone surgery but has been waived by the Los Angeles Chargers. Stove had signed with the club as an undrafted free agent last month.

Stove also dealt with an ACL injury in 2018 and was limited to playing in just three games. In his five-season career at Auburn, he played in 52 games, logging 136 catches for 1,186 catches and 6 touchdowns as well as 55 carries for 554 yards and 4 TDs.

Unfortunate news for one of Auburn’s NFL rookies:

Eli Stove found out today that he has a torn ACL and underwent surgery, per sources. Had been set to join the Chargers as an undrafted free agent but was waived after not passing the physical.

— Matt Zenitz (@mzenitz) June 2, 2021

56 minutes ago, Paladin said:

Report: Former Auburn WR Eli Stove waived after not passing physical due to significant injury

SDS Staff | 4 hours ago

Former Auburn wide receiver Eli Stove has suffered a major setback as a professional football player.

AL.com’s Matt Zenitz is reporting, per sources, that Stove learned today he has a torn ACL. The report states that Stove has undergone surgery but has been waived by the Los Angeles Chargers. Stove had signed with the club as an undrafted free agent last month.

Stove also dealt with an ACL injury in 2018 and was limited to playing in just three games. In his five-season career at Auburn, he played in 52 games, logging 136 catches for 1,186 catches and 6 touchdowns as well as 55 carries for 554 yards and 4 TDs.

Unfortunate news for one of Auburn’s NFL rookies:

Eli Stove found out today that he has a torn ACL and underwent surgery, per sources. Had been set to join the Chargers as an undrafted free agent but was waived after not passing the physical.

— Matt Zenitz (@mzenitz) June 2, 2021

This sucks and we unfortunately have a history of our rookies tearing an ACL or some other type of serious injury early in their career before having a real shot to prove themselves. 

Edited by AUBwins

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Stiddy making some noise in Foxboro. Love to see it.

Is he? That’s great. Definitely want him to take it over the turd. 

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Is he? That’s great. Definitely want him to take it over the turd. 

Reports that he has performed better than Jones as of late. As one would hope with two years head start. Unfortunately a hand injury to Cam opened the door.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Reports that he has performed better than Jones as of late. As one would hope with two years head start. Unfortunately a hand injury to Cam opened the door.

Either way we know it's between Stids or Hoyer for 3rd spot on roster but I would rather Stid take over P1 or P2

• Like 1

Handling of Noah Igbinoghene an example of Dolphins' long-term process

By Kyle Crabbs | 11:18 am ET

Few Miami Dolphins were more harshly criticized in 2020 than rookie cornerback Noah Igbinoghene. The No. 30 overall pick in the NFL draft, Igbinoghene was forced into action early after a groin injury to CB Byron Jones. The results weren’t pretty. Igbinoghene, who was a two-year cornerback at Auburn after originally arriving to the program as a wide receiver, was raw — and mental miscues and technical lapses were accentuated as teams continued to target Igbinoghene in coverage until Jones’ return.

And once Jones returned, we hardly saw any of Igbinoghene the rest of the way.

Perhaps the criticism is rooted in many Dolphins fans hoping that draft selection would have been used on a running back, whether it be Clyde Edwards-Helaire, Jonathan Taylor or J.K. Dobbins. But now, more than a year later and with another NFL draft in the rear view mirror, the Dolphins have again opted not to draft a running back early. So punishing Igbinoghene in the public eye for not playing the position fans wish Miami coveted more needs to be thrown on ice.

And instead of damning Igbinoghene for his rough start and his lack of impact, now is the time to further explore and appreciate the Dolphins’ process with a young talent — as it is a core principle this team holds close to their heart.

Draft and develop. Coach player as people and individuals. These are core principles for Brian Flores’ coaching staff and Chris Grier’s team-building approach. The Dolphins want to build a sustainable, long-term winning program. And the blueprint for such aspirations lies in the principles above.

Miami drafted Igbinoghene as young, raw talent as a highly valued position. From an economic value, too. Igbinoghene, if he develops as the team hopes, will be a talented option in a position room that the Dolphins covet as much or more than any other team in the league. Cheap, but talented play at the at position is invaluable. But, of course, Igbinoghene must see himself blossom for that payoff to happen.

Which is what makes Miami’s systemic approach with Igbinoghene so easy to appreciate. Defensive backs coach Gerald Alexander spoke with the South Florida media a few weeks back and, when asked specifically about Igbinoghene, suggested that Miami’s handling of the rookie in 2020 was focused in allowing the young defender to spend his rookie year focused on basic principles and techniques of the cornerback position in general.

And Flores, during a Friday press availability, further affirmed that Miami has been intentionally slow-playing their development to do right by the player and best position him to have success long-term.

“I think that in itself, in this league, it’s not easy (to play on the perimeter), so (last year) was stick him in one position, let him learn the techniques, the fundamentals, feel the speed, feel the quickness of the receivers, go through the different combinations that happen in different coverages and once you feel more comfortable in that specific role; then this year obviously we feel like he’s ready to move and at least take some reps inside,” explained Flores.

“Versatility is important to our team, so we’re going to move guys around – not just Noah, but really everyone in that corner room, in the secondary, really across the board.”

The Dolphins are hoping that their deliberate approach with Igbinoghene will pay dividends down the road. But in the here and now, the Dolphins should be applauded for drafting a player and having a plan on how to develop him. Too many front offices and coaching staffs have disconnect on the vision for players and those investments are doomed before they even begin. That isn’t the case for Miami with Igbinoghene. And while it doesn’t guarantee the young corner will go on to have success in the NFL, it does guarantee that the Dolphins are handling him in a fashion to give him his best chance.

• Like 1

No link but the Falcons signed Sensei Mud off their practice team. Fingers crossed he sticks. Glad he's still in the conversation at least. 

• Like 2

Carl Lawson plans to play like ‘something otherworldly’ for New York Jets

By Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com

In 2019, the San Francisco 49ers drafted Nick Bosa and traded for Dee Ford to play end in coordinator Robert Saleh’s defense and went to the Super Bowl.

In January, the New York Jets hired Saleh as their head coach, and in March, they signed defensive end Carl Lawson to a three-year, $45 million contract in free agency.

“To speak to the importance of the position, it’s huge,” Jets defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrich said. “You look at San Francisco, they went from top 10 to top three, top two, top one, when they added Nick Bosa and when they added Dee Ford. When they finally got speed elements on the outside to complement what they had on the inside, it just went to another place.

“We can create a hitch in the quarterback by what we do. The double hitch, because we don’t have a whole lot, doesn’t happen too often, so having a speed element that can make the quarterback pay when he does hitch, it’s essential, so he’s going to be a huge part of our success.”

Lawson had 5.5 sacks during the 2020 season, but the former Auburn standout had 32 quarterback hits, which ranked second in the NFL.

Ulbrich said the strength of the players lining up with Lawson on the interior of New York’s defense could help him increase his sack number in 2021.

“A lot of times, edge rushers, they miss because quarterbacks can step up into the pocket,” Ulbrich said. “In my opinion, the combination of Quinnen (Williams) and Folo (Fatukasi) and Sheldon Rankins and (Nathan Shepherd) and Tanzel (Smart), we have so many interior guys, I don’t know how much of a pocket there will be to step up into, so from that standpoint I think he could definitely have an increase in sack total.”

Lawson thinks Saleh’s defensive scheme fits his abilities.

“It’s been pretty simple and fun because it kind of matches what I do well,” Lawson said.

Lawson declined to share his personal sack goal for the 2021 season when he talked to reporters on Thursday, but he’s aiming high.

“I feel like the sky’s the limit,” Lawson said. “But like everything, this is life, and not every goal that you set is going to happen because there’s external factors. But I will do everything in my power possible to reach my highest level of potential and what I think I could possibly be, which is something otherworldly. But at the same time if I was ever to fall short, I would be OK with that because I’d know I did everything I could possibly do to get myself there. And whatever you do, football, that’s just life. If you really care about what you’re doing, that’s how you should approach it.”

Lawson did not arrive at the Jets’ facility until last week, getting on the field for the final week of OTAs.

“We’ve been calling it an acclimation period for him,” Saleh said. “He hasn’t gotten any reps, obviously. We’ve been going through individual and having him work with the performance staff. More of a body-maintenance thing. We did it with everybody that’s been here. They’ve all had one week of acclimation.

“Our expectations of Carl are no different than anybody else in regards to just going out there and doing everything you can to be your absolute best -- the film room, the training regimen, practice habits, game habits, all of it, and just play to the best of your personal ability, and whatever the results are, we’ll live with them. And we trust with Carl, those results will be good.”

Lawson is looking forward to doing more this week when New York wraps up its offseason program with mandatory minicamp on Tuesday through Thursday.

“I’m very excited for next week,” Lawson said on Thursday. “I’m excited more so to look at my mistakes instead of what I do well. I know there’re going to be some things I’m not used to, so I’m more so for to be able to get the film, be able to analyze it and go forward with that.”

Jack Driscoll turned out to be quick, sudden and smart for Eagles

By Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com

Jack Driscoll played more than expected and less than he should have as a rookie offensive tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles in 2020 -- all after surprising offensive-line coach Jeff Stoutland as a fourth-round draft choice from Auburn last year.

“One thing about Jack Driscoll from his college film and the Senior Bowl – again, I’m just being totally honest with you – I underevaluated his movement skill and his quickness,” Stoutland said last week. “When I wrote him up and did the report on him, I liked Jack Driscoll, and I went to bat for Jack Driscoll when the draft was going on – believe me – but I didn’t know he was as quick and as sudden as he actually is. And I don’t like missing. I don’t like writing something – I don’t know why that is. I actually saw more in the Senior Bowl than I did in his college film, and I told him that.

“But this guy’s quick, and he’s sudden. And he’s smart. He’s smart as hell.”

With three-time Pro Bowl right offensive tackle Lane Johnson limited to seven games because of injuries in 2020, Driscoll played in 11 games and started four, including the Eagles’ season-opening contest.

After missing the opener, Johnson returned for four games before Driscoll took his place in the starting lineup again in Game 6.

But Driscoll sustained an ankle injury, and he played only eight offensive snaps over the next five games. Feeling better in December, Driscoll started and played every offensive snap in consecutive games for the first time in his career. But he finished the Eagles’ 24-21 upset of the New Orleans Saints on Dec. 13 with a knee injury that caused him to miss the final three games of the season.

Driscoll’s injuries were part of the epidemic that hit Philadelphia’s offensive line in 2020, starting before the first game when three-time Pro Bowl right guard Brandon Brooks and projected left tackle Andre Dillard sustained season-ending injuries.

In their 16 games, the Eagles started 14 different offensive-line combinations. Left guard Isaac Seumalo missed seven games, and Johnson missed nine, leaving center Jason Kelce as the only offensive lineman to start every game last season for Philadelphia.

Those five projected starters return this season, along with Driscoll, Nate Herbig, Jordan Mailata and Matt Pryor – four more offensive linemen who started games for the Eagles in 2020. And Philadelphia used a second-round draft pick on Alabama center Landon Dickerson on April 30.

“We have some good depth right now across the board after what happened last year,” Stoutland said.

The Eagles have completed their offseason program, and Stoutland said what he saw during the practices gave him hope the injured starters would be ready to return to form in 2021, including Johnson.

“After what he went through with the foot, his change of direction and his quickness – is he 100 percent?” Stoutland said. “I’m not saying that, I’m just saying he’s close. He’s damn close, though.”

Johnson’s return to health likely would mean less playing time for Driscoll in his second season than he had in his first, although Johnson has played in all 16 games twice in his eight seasons – most recently in 2015 – and the regular-season schedule includes 17 games in 2021.

Even if Driscoll isn’t on the playing field as much in 2021, Stoutland expects him to continue to improve.

“Jack Driscoll is such a pleasure to coach,” Stoutland said. “He’s so detailed. Like I told him something during OTAs … I said to Jack, ‘Jack, watching your movement, you’re behind. You’re like stepping under; you’re not getting over the line because your stance is too wide. Gather yourself a little bit tighter.’ So I go on to the next player, and we start coaching.

“We go back out to the field – boom – Jack Driscoll’s a little bit tighter, running over the line, ripping off the ball.”

The Eagles are scheduled to report for training camp on July 27, with the first of Philadelphia’s three preseason game set for Aug. 12 against the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Eagles also play the New England Patriots on Aug. 19 and the New York Jets on Aug. 27 before kicking off the regular season against the Atlanta Falcons on Sept. 12.

• Like 1

Miami Dolphins' Noah Igbinoghene: 'I’m growing up as a man

PALM BEACH POST

Noah Igbinoghene wasn't old enough to legally drink a beer when he was drafted by the Dolphins last year. 

And due to the pandemic, Igbinoghene was not afforded the opportunity to go through on-field rookie camp, organized team activities or Minicamp.

Now 21, the Dolphins' first-round cornerback from Auburn feels better prepared.

"I just grew as a man, obviously like everybody does," Igbinoghene said after Tuesday's practice. "Just grew up. I was young last year. I’m still young now, but I’m growing up as a man and figuring things out."

Igbinoghene trained at outside cornerback last season and he's needed there at the moment, with veteran Xavien Howard skipping on-field work with his teammates.

But Igbinoghene will also be given an opportunity to compete with slot corners Nik Needham and Justin Coleman in training camp.

"I’m looking forward to playing wherever they want me to play," said Igbinoghene, who was the 30th overall pick of the 2020 NFL Draft.

Miami coach Brian Flores said cross-training Igbinoghene creates some beneficial versatility for the club. 

"As far as what it takes to play inside, I think it’s obviously speed and quickness and ability to tackle," Flores said. "I think those guys who have played the nickel position end up in run fits a little bit more than guys on the perimeter, so just an understanding of fronts and what’s happening in front of you – more opportunity to blitz."

Flores also said the lack of an available sideline plays a factor in coverage.

"They can go inside, they can go outside," Flores said. "You don’t have that as an extra defender or a place you can kind of push a receiver. It’s tough playing in there. It’s not easy and from a mental standpoint, there’s a lot going on as well."

Igbinoghene believes he is better prepared for success.

"A consistent routine," Igbinoghene said. "Just a consistent schedule. Just the same thing over and over again – the little details – over and over again. Last year I didn’t have a consistent workout place at all. This year everything was laid out, planned out, month-to-month-to-month. I feel better going into Year 2.”

Igbinoghene was pressed into action sooner than the club would have liked to last season, due to injuries to teammates. Despite a few moments where Igbinoghene made mistakes that led to big plays, he felt the support of the organization.

"Honestly the coaches and the older guys and just my teammates," Igbinoghene said. "They all surrounded me. It’s just a family here. So honestly it wasn’t really that hard. I just kept my head up. Everybody kept supporting me."

Igbinoghene has incredible speed, agility and athleticism. The Dolphins drafted him in the first round as a developmental prospect with a very high ceiling.

Entering his second season, he feels more at ease with what he needs to do. On Tuesday, he clearly also knew the right thing to say about a hot-button topic.

When asked about Xavien Howard's contract dispute, Igbinoghene said: "That’s honestly none of my business

On 6/11/2021 at 2:30 PM, McLoofus said:

No link but the Falcons signed Sensei Mud off their practice team. Fingers crossed he sticks. Glad he's still in the conversation at least. 

Holland already cut by the Falcons

• Sad 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Paladin said:

Well deserved for Braden Smith.

Who says Gus' didn't recruit high level Offensive linemen. (Just kidding). 😆

Report: New England Patriots quarterback Jarrett Stidham may need surgery

By SAM MARSDALE Jul 29, 7:49 AM

The quarterback competition with the New England Patriots is thought to consist of Cam Newton and Mac Jones. With that being said, third-year player Jarrett Stidham has impressed at times this offseason after struggling in a big way when he saw action during the 2020 season. The team also re-signed veteran Brian Hoyer, however, some think his roster spot is in jeopardy due to his decision to not take the COVID-19 vaccine.

That makes news of Stidham having an injury and possibly needing surgery all that much bigger. Stidham began experiencing pain in his right shoulder and back while throwing, according to Jeff Howe of The Athletic.

The former Auburn standout was placed on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list on Wednesday, and the team claimed quarterback Jake Dolegala off waivers from the Green Bay Packers.

Stidham has just two years under his belt in the NFL and threw just four passes as a rookie. Last season, had a bit more playing time, but not much of a sample size. He finished last year 22-of-44 passing for 256 yards, two touchdowns and three interceptions.

“My goal is to be the quarterback here and to start football games for a really long time in this league,” Stidham said last month of his goals for this season. “The mindset of that has never changed and never will change.”

Speaking at Patriots training camp Tuesday, head coach Bill Belichick was asked to break down the quarterback battle, as it’s now underway.

“Yeah, as I said, every one of us has to go out and establish our level of performance in whatever our role or capacity is,” Belichick told reporters. “So it’s a new season. We’ve done some things in the spring, but this is really the start of football season in terms of the team-building part in training camp. So we all have a lot of work to do, that includes all of us. So, until we go out and do anything, it’s pretty much a clean slate.”

Belichick was then asked specifically whether that included the quarterbacks.

“Including the coaches and all the players,” Belichick said.

Get the fastest scores, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. CLICK HERE to download the CBS Sports Mobile App and get the latest on your team today.

Newton is the returning starter, though it’s unclear just how much that means after the Patriots slumped to 7-9 in their first year post-Tom Brady. Newton had success last year rushing the ball, with 592 yards and 12 touchdowns, but struggled as a passer. He threw eight touchdown passes to 10 interceptions. With that being said, Newton showed early signs of promise as a passer before he tested positive for COVID-19 ahead of the team's Week 4 game at the Kansas City Chiefs, and it would be a huge bonus for the team if he could find that touch again.

Kevin Flaherty contributed to this report.

• Sad 1

You never want an injury when fighting for roster spot. Happens to Auburn players way too often. 

• Like 1

Marlon Davidson ready to 'make every opportunity count' after rough rookie year

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. – Marlon Davidson sets an alarm every night but doesn't really need it. He consistently wakes up 10-15 minutes before the buzzer sounds, bounding out of bed to start his new day with a regular routine.

"I get up, I pray and I look at the man in the mirror," Davidson said Saturday in an interview with AtlantaFalcons.com. "That's my biggest thing. I know that my greatest battle is me. I look in the mirror and I tell myself that I'm going to go get it. I'm going to be better than the person I was yesterday."

The second-year defensive lineman doesn't want to stand in his own way anymore. Stacking good days, productive days, is Davidson's way of finding himself again after an ultimately lost season. His confidence is back. So is his trademark spark. That has led to good things before. Those around him think it will again.

"He's a fireball on that defensive line, bringing the energy," fellow Falcons defensive lineman Grady Jarrett said. "I love playing with him. I can't wait to see him get that full season under him. He had a rough run with injuries and other things. I'm excited for him. I'm expecting a big year from Marlon."

Davidson takes responsibility for a rookie year with the Falcons that went south, saying he got too complacent after being drafted No. 47 overall. Football had always come easy for the 6-foot-3, 303-pound mauler, a five-star recruit out of Greenville, Ala. who became a star at Auburn.

His first NFL season was hard. Really hard. And while he played some part in it, Davidson was dealt a bad hand. The COVID-19 pandemic cancelled offseason programs critical to rookie development. A knee injury cropped up that kept him out the first two games. Then he was placed on the COVID-19 list for a while and, after all that, dealt with knee issues again near season's end.

His final stat line was unbecoming of immense talent, a blemish on an otherwise stellar football career. He had eight tackles over eight games, with no quarterback pressures of any kind. He played just 132 defensive snaps all year. Yeah. That was it from a guy who had 7.5 sacks, 11.5 tackles for loss and earned first-team All-SEC honors his last year at Auburn.

"You have to think about this: I played defensive end my last year in college," Davidson said. "I had to learn something totally different when I came here. I had to change myself. I had to change everything about me to be the person for the scheme and for my team. That was difficult for me, especially with the injury. And I had COVID. I had to bounce around a lot. I had mental things with me.

"I went through some mental stuff getting my mind prepared, and it took a toll. But that was last year. Last year's gone. This is 2021. It's going to be a better year. That's a promise."

Davidson enters the 2021 season with renewed optimism, ready to realize vast potential after learning from last year's experience.

"Last year, I got caught up in the lifestyle," Davidson said. "There's no lie about it. I got caught up in the lifestyle. I'm still young. I'm still a kid, and sometimes people forget that. I just came from college. I lost my mom when I was 16. I had to learn a lot of different stuff (that other people didn't). When I came here and all that came to me, I was like, 'Wow. I finally made it.' But, when you make it, it makes it harder to stay here. I had to know that, at this moment, you're here, but the NFL stands for 'not for long.' You've got to make every opportunity count."

Make every opportunity count.

That's what Davidson preaches into the mirror every morning because he knows deep down that, if he works to improve every day, his true talent will come out.

"I just have to display it. That's it," Davidson said. "Turn on any type of tape. You'll see me coming. I'm coming this year, man. I gotta get one back from last year. I have to prove it to myself, to all these Atlanta fans. I have to prove it to my family that I'm still that guy. I feel like I am. … I can't wait to show what I can do."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

He actually made it

I'm not shocked. He's way better than his AU narrative suggested. Had 2 of the best catches of the Malzahn era. 

20 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Sal Cannella aka Fingers..........my former mancrush

Sal knows some fellas down on the docks. They can take care of that problem for you as long as you can pay in cash.