Auburn In The NFL Thread

aujeff11

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

I think the problem was he was having to pick up speed to get to it, but the ball started to tail to his right and he had trouble leaning and trying to get 2 hands on theball.

It was a catchable ball by NFL WR standards, but Slayton is not elite. Very good and better than he was allowed to show in college.

regardless, they got the lead back anyway, but it was their D that couldn't hold off a backup QB moving them down the field.

Their D is their problem....not their WRs...

Fortunately the Twitter discourse seems to be split about 50/50 between bad pass and dropped pass. That's actually better than I expected.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Fortunately the Twitter discourse seems to be split about 50/50 between bad pass and dropped pass. That's actually better than I expected.

I think if you really watch the video the right way, most can see it was going to be a tougher catch. In slow mo, it looks like it just clanked off off of his hand, making it look like he could have positioned himself better. 

But if you watch it in real time, you can see when the ball is cut loose, Slayton has to turn on the jets just to get in position. And when he had to sprint all out, that cost him his ability to make the adjustment on the ball. TBH, he was so open the QB could have put a little more loft on the ball and made it much easier on the WR.

It's definitely one of those opinion catches that we as fans fight over as to difficulty vs "THey're paid to catch those balls"... :)

• Like 1

Dee Ford ‘fast and explosive’ in return to field for 49ers

Published: 1:00 p.m.

By Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com

During the offseason, the San Francisco 49ers didn’t know what they’d get – if anything – from defensive end Dee Ford in the 2021 season. The former Auburn standout had sustained another back injury in the first game of the 2020 campaign and missed the remainder of the season.

With about one minute left in the first half of Sunday’s season-opening game against the Detroit Lions, Ford took down quarterback Jared Goff for a 6-yard loss – the first sack for Ford since he got to Minnesota Vikings QB Kirk Cousins in the 2019 NFC playoffs.

In his return to the field, Ford played 30 defensive snaps – one-third of the 49ers’ total – and had two quarterback hits on his stat sheet.

“I felt pretty confident going into the game,” Ford said. “That’s one thing I wanted to do was be able to start fast. That was my biggest goal heading into this game, so I was able to get some work done really in the first couple of rushes, so that’s pretty much what you want to do. The first, second rush kind of sets up the rest of the game.”

A back injury also put Ford out of action for all but six games in the 2017 season. He rebounded in 2018 with a Pro Bowl season that featured 13 sacks and an NFL-best seven forced fumbles for the Kansas City Chiefs.

The 49ers weren’t as confident Ford could come back again. During the offseason, San Francisco reworked the pass-rusher’s contract from the five-year, $85 million contract he’d signed after coming over in a trade in 2019 into a two-year deal worth $24 million. He’d had three years and $47.45 million left on his previous deal.

Ford didn’t play in any preseason games, but his work from the offseason through training camp had him ready for the season-opener, 49ers defensive coordinator DeMeco Ryans said this week.

“Dee has been great,” Ryans said. “He’s been great all offseason. He’s been progressively getting better and better , and he was fast and explosive on Sunday, relentless. I see Dee continuing to do the same thing.”

Ford spent extra time on the field in Detroit warming up before Sunday’s game.

“It’s not just running up the field,” Ford said about rushing the passer. “I know that’s what it looks like, but it’s a lot of work that goes into it, a lot of mental aspects that you want to have right, a lot of angles you want to have right. …

“It takes me a while.”

Ford helped the 49ers reach the Super Bowl in his first season, but San Francisco slumped to 6-10 in 2020. The 49ers will try to keep their 2021 momentum when they visit the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday.

San Francisco will need another good performance from its pass-rushers against Philadelphia quarterback Jalen Hurts, Ryans said. The former Alabama standout led the Eagles to a 32-6 victory over the Atlanta Falcons in their season-opening game.

“Our pass rushers did a really good job of affecting the quarterback, disrupting him,” Ryans said. “And that was key to our game plan: How can we disrupt the quarterback? And they did a great job of just being relentless in their rush. And that’s what we ask of those guys and ask of everyone is to be relentless. It’s going to take that second effort, it’s going to take that second surge to get to the quarterback. It’s not going to be easy all the time. You have to work for it, and that’s what those guys did. Dee, (Nick) Bosa, Samson (Ebukam), Arik (Armstead), all those guys were effective in putting pressure on the quarterback.

“And we need that out of that group every week. If we want to be successful, we need that same effort every week from those guys.”

Ford came out of the 2021 opener on the injury list again – “Bent my ankle a little bit,” Ford said – but expects to be ready to play for Game 2 this season.

An All-State defensive lineman at St. Clair County High School in 2008, Ford earned All-SEC recognition at Auburn in 2013 and won the MVP Award for the 2014 Reese’s Senior Bowl in Mobile. He joined the Chiefs as the 23rd player picked in the 2014 NFL Draft.

On 9/13/2021 at 11:32 PM, Paladin said:

Carlson with a 55 yd fg to send game in overtime. Raiders and Ravens 27 apiece.

On Sirius XM, the guy on there said when Carlson came up for the tie, the first thing he thought of was "Haha, Mike Zimmer, cuts him 2nd game, how do you like that decision now?" Lol.  I always think the same thing, stick it Mike Zimmer. 

Edited by AUBwins
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, AUBwins said:

On Sirius XM, the guy on there said when Carlson came up for the tie, the first thing he thought of was "Haha, Mike Zimmer, cuts him 2nd game, how do you like that decision now?" Lol.  I always think the same thing, stick it Mike Zimmer. 

Totally agree. They drafted him(5th round no less) and after 2 games, they cut him?

So knee jerk. I knew when they did that he was making a big mistake. 

And now their testing another kicker or kickers including a rookie, after they let the guy go they brought in to replace Carlson.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Totally agree. They drafted him(5th round no less) and after 2 games, they cut him?

So knee jerk. I knew when they did that he was making a big mistake. 

And now their testing another kicker or kickers including a rookie, after they let the guy go they brought in to replace Carlson.

I will never root for Zimmer going forward.  His game planning is so sporadic as well.  

9 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Because of course Tom Brady gets 3 Tigers *in the NFC South*  and my Falcons only get 1. Damned happy about that 1, though.

Edited by McLoofus

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Because of course Tom Brady gets 3 Tigers *in the NFC South*  and my Falcons only get 1. Damned happy about that 1, though.

I hate so much that anytime one of our players has big time success it's on a Tom Brady team because I detest him but I'm still happy for them.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I hate so much that anytime one of our players has big time success it's on a Tom Brady team because I detest him but I'm still happy for them.

No doubt. Carlton Davis, Jamel Dean, Jonathan Jones, Byron what's-his-name (we can claim him for the purposes of this conversation), maybe some others... bring those rings back to the Plains for a game day when you can, fellas. 

• Like 1

What about Peyton Barber today, popping off to get them in position for a win today?

Edited by AUBwins
  • Like 2

Some team better be calling Cam Newton this week. There's no way there's not one single team that could use him. We're starting to see that the problems last year on the Patriots weren't all on him. Mac Jones with a better team on offense and no opt outs on the defensive side are still losing.

Edited by tgrogan21
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Some team better be calling Cam Newton this week. There's no way there's not one single team that could use him. We're starting to see that the problems last year on the Patriots weren't all on him. Mac Jones with a better team on offense and no opt outs on the defensive side are still losing.

Washington is one team but idk if Ron would go for it.

Auburn NFL roundup: Peyton Barber gets ‘a big hug and a game ball’ from Jon Gruden

Updated: Sep. 27, 2021, 1:46 a.m. | Published: Sep. 26, 2021, 11:56 p.m.

Released by the Washington Football Team at the end of the preseason and re-signed for its practice squad earlier this month, former Auburn running back Peyton Barber had the biggest game of his six seasons in the NFL on Sunday.

Barber ran for 111 yards and one touchdown on 23 carries and caught three passes for 31 yards in the Las Vegas Raiders’ 31-28 overtime victory against the Miami Dolphins.

Barber joined Las Vegas from the Washington Football Team’s practice squad on Sept. 6 and was playing because Pro Bowl running back Josh Jacobs was sidelined by an ankle injury.

Barber scored on a 1-yard plunge with 13:47 left in the fourth quarter as the Raiders took an 11-point lead.

In overtime, Barber broke a 27-yard run to the Miami 19-yard line, followed by three consecutive runs for 13 yards to set up the winning field goal.

“I think he did more than just run it,” Las Vegas coach Jon Gruden said. “We went to him as our third-down back. We had a need there to get his hands on the ball at the end of the game. He caught the pass out of the backfield, he picked up some blitzes, he was helpful in protection, he didn’t blow any assignments, he ran hard, and when you need him, he doesn’t say anything. He doesn’t even smile. I don’t know how he’s feeling. I don’t hardly know this guy, but I gave him a big hug and a game ball, I’ll tell you that.”

Las Vegas overcame a 14-0 first-quarter deficit on its way to a 3-0 record. The Raiders hadn’t won their first three games since 2002, and they reached the Super Bowl that season.

Barber recorded the third 100-yard rushing game of his career. The previous two came with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, for whom Barber made 26 consecutive starts in 2017, 2018 and 2019. But he hadn’t reached 60 rushing yards in a game in his past 31 outings.

On Sunday, Barber tied his career high with 23 rushing attempts, accomplished twice previously, and reached a career high with 111 rushing yards. On Dec. 3, 2017, Barber ran for 102 yards on 23 carries in Tampa Bay’s 26-20 loss to the Green Bay Packers. On Nov. 18, 2018, Barber ran for 106 yards and one touchdown on 18 carries in the Bucs’ 38-35 loss to the New York Giants.

“It’s been a crazy roller coaster,” Barber said. “I wasn’t sure where I was going to be at after Washington cut me, and then two days later signing here, just seeing how the coaches believe in me.”

Barber was among the 21 former Auburn players who got on the field on the third Sunday of the NFL’s 102nd season.

Three other former Auburn players were at the Miami-Las Vegas game:

· Raiders kicker Daniel Carlson made a 22-yard field goal on the final snap of the game to provide the winning margin. Carlson also made a 38-yard field goal with 6:27 left in overtime, but the Dolphins’ Jason Sanders matched that with a 50-yarder with 2:49 to go in the extra period. Carlson also made a 50-yard field goal with 11:36 left in the first half. While Carlson extended his streak of successful field-goal attempts to 29 in the game, he missed an extra point after a touchdown with 13:47 to play, leaving the Las Vegas lead at 11 points. After a field goal and a touchdown, Miami went for 2 with two seconds left in the fourth quarter and succeeded in sending the game into overtime. Carlson made his other two PATs.

· Dolphins defensive back Javaris Davis is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.

· Dolphins cornerback Noah Igbinoghene (Hewitt-Trussville) made a special-teams tackle.

In the other Sunday games:

Buffalo Bills 43, Washington Football Team 21

· Washington defensive tackle Gabe Wright is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.

Cleveland Browns 26, Chicago Bears 

· Bears defensive lineman Angelo Blackson made five tackles, shared a sack and registered a quarterback hit. Blackson tied his career high for tackles in game. He also had five against the Buffalo Bills on Nov. 15, 2020, while playing for the Arizona Cardinals.

· Browns wide receiver Anthony Schwartz played but did not record any stats.

Baltimore Ravens 19, Detroit Lions 17

· Ravens linebacker Josh Bynes made four tackles. Bynes was elevated from the practice squad for the game and made his 2021 season debut. He became the 25th Auburn alumnus to appear in 11 NFL seasons.

Arizona Cardinals 31, Jacksonville Jaguars 19

· Jaguars safety Rudy Ford (New Hope) made three tackles and downed a punt at the Arizona 1-yard line.

· Jaguars safety Daniel Thomas (Lee-Montgomery) played but did not record any stats.

Los Angeles Chargers 30, Kansas City Chiefs 24

· Chiefs offensive tackle Prince Tega Wanogho (Edgewood Academy) is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.

New Orleans Saints 28, New England Patriots 13

· Saints defensive tackle Montravius Adams made one tackle against New England, which had released him on Aug. 31.

· Patriots defensive tackle Byron Cowart is on the physically-unable-to-perform list and not eligible to play.

· Patriots cornerback Jonathan Jones made three tackles.

· Patriots linebacker Brandon King (Thompson) played but did not record any stats.

· Patriots quarterback Jarrett Stidham is on the physically-unable-to-perform list and not eligible to play.

Atlanta Falcons 17, New York Giants 14

· Falcons defensive tackle Marlon Davidson (Greenville) made three tackles. Davidson sustained an ankle injury during the game.

· Falcons long snapper Josh Harris handled the snaps on six punts, two extra points and one field goal.

· Giants wide receiver Darius Slayton caught an 8-yard pass. Slayton left the game in the first half because of a hamstring injury and did not return.

Cincinnati Bengals 24, Pittsburgh Steelers 10

· C.J. Uzomah started at tight end for the Bengals.

Tennessee Titans 25, Indianapolis Colts 16

· Colts offensive tackle Braden Smith was designated as a game-day inactive. Smith has missed back-to-back games because of foot and thumb injuries.

Denver Broncos 26, New York Jets 0

· Jets defensive end Carl Lawson is on injured reserve.

· Jets linebacker Jamien Sherwood made two tackles. The rookie returned after missing last week’s game because of an ankle injury.

· Broncos wide receiver Seth Williams (Paul Bryant) is on the practice squad and not eligible to play.

Los Angeles Rams 34, Tampa Bay Buccaneers 24

· Buccaneers linebacker K.J. Britt (Oxford) played but did not record any stats.

· Carlton Davis started at cornerback for the Buccaneers. Davis made three tackles.

· Jamel Dean started at cornerback for the Buccaneers. Dean sustained a knee injury in the first half and did not return to the game.

Green Bay Packers 30, San Francisco 49ers 28

· Forty-Niners defensive end Dee Ford (St. Clair County) played but did not record any stats.

· Forty-Niners running back Kerryon Johnson (Madison Academy) played but did not record any stats. Johnson was elevated from the practice squad to play for the first time this season and for the first time for the 49ers.

Week 3 kicked off with the Carolina Panthers beating the Houston Texans 24-9 on Thursday night.

Week 3 concludes with the Philadelphia Eagles-Dallas Cowboys game at 7:15 p.m. CDT Monday at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. ESPN and ESPN2 will televise the game.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Uzomah with two TD catches in the game!

Made the key play to get them in position for the game winning field goal, too.

• Like 2

Auburn in the NFL: Week 4 rundown

C.J. Uzomah and Dee Ford both missed most of last season due to injury. Both are back healthy, and this past week, Uzomah caught a pair of touchdowns while Ford picked up a pair of sacks. That and more in this week's Auburn in the NFL rundown. 

BEST OF WEEK 4

Jack Driscoll, OL, Philadelphia Eagles
In his first start of the season and first appearance since last December when Philadelphia beat the Saints, Driscoll filled in nicely for an injury-stricken Eagles offensive line. Playing right tackle, he slowed down Chiefs' top defensive lineman Chris Jones for most of the game, helping quarterback Jalen Hurts throw for 387 yards on 32 of 48 passing.

Dee Ford, DE, San Francisco 49ers
Ford has always had a knack for getting to the quarterback, and the eighth-year veteran was at it again Sunday, recording his second and third sacks of the season in a loss to Seattle. He took down Russell Wilson on two separate third-down plays in the first half, and in the second half, he forced a fumble that was recovered by the offense. Ford is still working his way back from injury but is flashing signs of what makes him so dangerous. 
Jonathan Jones, CB, New England Patriots
In Tom Brady's return to New England, Jones did his part to help contain his former teammate and the Bucs' high-flying offense. He led the Patriots and tied a career high with nine tackles, and drawing the assignment of covering Antonio Brown one-on-one, Jones held the 7-time Pro Bowler to just 46 yards receiving while he was in the game. As a defense, the Patriots held Tampa Bay to its lowest point total (19) since Brady joined the team. 

C.J. Uzomah, TE, Cincinnati Bengals 
On Thursday night, the Bengals fought back from a 14-0 halftime deficit to beat the Jacksonville Jaguars, and it would have never happened without a career game from Uzomah. The seventh-year tight end hauled in touchdowns of 22 and 31 yards in the second half and finished with career-high 95 yards receiving on five catches. His second touchdown grab came with 8:59 left and tied the game at 21. Uzomah, whose previous career was 66 yards receiving, led the Cincinnati offense with a PFF grade of 88.2.

Other Tigers in the NFL
Montravius Adams, DT, New Orleans Saints
Peyton Barber, RB, Las Vegas Raiders
Angelo Blackson, DL, Chicago Bears 
K.J. Britt, LB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Derrick Brown, DT, Carolina Panthers
Josh Bynes, LB, Baltimore Ravens
Daniel Carlson, PK, Las Vegas Raiders
Marlon Davidson, DL, Atlanta Falcons
Carlton Davis, CB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Jamel Dean, CB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Rudy Ford, S, Jacksonville Jaguars
Josh Harris, LS, Atlanta Falcons
Noah Igbinoghene, CB, Miami Dolphins
Kerryon Johnson, RB, San Francisco 49ers
Brandon King, LB, New England Patriots 
Anthony Schwartz, WR, Cleveland Browns
Jamien Sherwood, LB, New York Jets
Arryn Siposs, P, Philadelphia Eagles
Darius Slayton, WR, New York Giants
Braden Smith, OL, Indianapolis Colts
Daniel Thomas, S, Jacksonville Jaguars 

DNP (Reserve/Injured)
Shon Coleman, OT, San Francisco 49ers (IR)
Blake Countess, S, Philadelphia Eagles (IR)
Carl Lawson, DE, New York Jets (IR)
Jarrett Stidham, QB, New England Patriots (PUP)

Practice Squad
Javaris Davis, CB, Miami Dolphins
Mike Horton, OG, Carolina Panthers
Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Kansas City Chiefs
Seth Williams, WR, Denver Broncos
Gabe Wright, DT, Washington Football Team

Cody Parkey gets another NFL opportunity 

Published: Oct. 05, 2021, 5:59 p.m.

The New Orleans Saints released kicker Aldrick Rosas on Tuesday, and the NFL Network reported the team had signed Cody Parkey to take his place.

In the Saints’ four games this season, Rosas made all 13 of his extra-points kicks, but he had connected on only one of his four field-goal attempts.

New Orleans had Rosas kicking because the Saints’ regular kicker, Wil Lutz, has been sidelined after undergoing surgery in August to repair a core-muscle injury. Lutz is expected to return to his job when he’s healthy.

Parkey has been a free agent since the Cleveland Browns released the former Auburn kicker with an injury settlement on Aug. 24, two days after he had sustained a quadriceps injury during a preseason game.

An injury settlement is an agreement between a player on injured reserve and his team that allows them to part ways immediately. Usually, the settlement pays a player for the number of regular-season games that his injury is likely to keep him sidelined.

By joining the Saints, Parkey will make it six seasons in a row kicking for a team different than the one that he kicked for in the previous season.

Parkey went to the Pro Bowl in 2014, when he set an NFL rookie single-season scoring record with 150 points for the Philadelphia Eagles. But in his second season with the Eagles, Parkey tore groin muscles in the third game, an injury that caused him to miss the rest of the 2015 season and turned him into an NFL nomad.

In a 2016 training camp/preseason competition, Philadelphia chose to go with Parkey’s 2015 replacement, Caleb Sturgis. Parkey ended up kicking for the Browns in 2016 after Cleveland kicker Patrick Murray got hurt two games into the season.

In another training camp/preseason competition in 2017, Parkey lost his job with the Browns to seventh-round draft choice Zane Gonzalez. The Miami Dolphins claimed Parkey off waivers on the Sunday before the regular season kicked off. After a 21-of-23 performance on field-goal attempts for the Dolphins in 2017, Parkey signed a four-year, $15 million contract with the Chicago Bears.

In a playoff game on Jan. 6, 2019, Parkey failed to connect on a 43-yard field-goal attempt with 10 seconds left, and the Eagles escaped Chicago with a 16-15 victory. The football hit the left upright, fell onto the crossbar, bounced into the end zone and entered Chicago sports infamy as the Double Doink. The Bears cut Parkey that offseason.

In 2019, the Tennessee Titans signed Parkey after Cairo Santos missed four field-goal attempts in a 14-7 loss to the Buffalo Bills. Santos was filling in for Ryan Succop, who had offseason surgery and wasn’t ready to start the season. Parkey made his three field-goal attempts and went five-for-six on extra-point kicks in three games before Succop returned.

Parkey started the 2020 season on the Cleveland practice squad. In the Browns’ 38-6 season-opening loss to the Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland kicker Austin Seibert missed a 41-yard field-goal attempt and an extra-point try and had his two kickoffs returned for 64 yards. The Browns released Seibert and promoted Parkey before the second game.

Parkey made 19-of-22 field-goal attempts and 43-of-47 extra-point kicks in 15 regular-season games and went 3-of-3 on field goals and 8-of-8 on extra points in two playoff contests last season.

Cleveland re-signed Parkey to a one-year, $1,212,500 contract in March that included a $137,500 signing bonus and $200,000 in guaranteed money.

In 83 NFL regular-season games, Parkey has made 121-of-143 field-goal attempts and 197-of-209 extra-point kicks. He’s made eight of his 10 attempts of at least 50 yards. Parkey has made 84.6 percent of his field-goal attempts, the 17th-best in NFL history. In three playoff games, Parkey has made 6-of-7 field-goal attempts and 8-of-8 extra points.

• Like 2