Auburn In The NFL Thread

aujeff11

I'm afraid Noah will be cut from Dolphins as well.  He already got demoted during 1st week in training camp due to continuing to get burned deep. Just depends on how much patience they have with him. 

19 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I'm afraid Noah will be cut from Dolphins as well.  He already got demoted during 1st week in training camp due to continuing to get burned deep. Just depends on how much patience they have with him. 

Wasn't he their starter last year?

43 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

That's really strange to me. If accurate- not doubting you, just general skepticism re: camp reporting plus the oddness (IMO) of the info- then he must have something distracting him IMO. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Wasn't he their starter last year?

He was by default because their starter went down.  But he was getting burned deep repeatedly.  He was thrown into the fire so it's a bit understandable. I'll try to find the article i read. 

This is the article I read about Noah. 

https://www-thephinsider-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.thephinsider.com/platform/amp/2021/8/4/22609995/is-it-time-to-hit-the-panic-button-on-miami-dolphins-cornerback-noah-igbinoghene?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#aoh=16282663334016&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thephinsider.com%2F2021%2F8%2F4%2F22609995%2Fis-it-time-to-hit-the-panic-button-on-miami-dolphins-cornerback-noah-igbinoghene

large_The_Phinsider_Full.126204.png

Is It Time to Hit the Panic Button on Miami Dolphins CB Noah Igbinoghene?

1323055537.0.jpg
Photo by Mark Brown/Getty Images

When Auburn cornerback Noah Igbinoghene was drafted with Miami’s third first-round pick (30th overall) in the 2020 NFL Draft, many were quick to mention that Igbinoghene was relatively inexperienced at the CB position - playing only two years of college ball on defense after playing wide receiver his freshman season. Plenty of folks predicted early struggles for the youngster – only 20 years old at the start of his rookie year – and they were quickly proven right when Igbinoghene was tasked with covering veteran wide receiver, Stefon Diggs, in only his 2nd game as a professional when high priced off-season acquisition, Byron Jones, went down with an injury during Miami’s early-season contest against Buffalo last year. Igbinoghene was roasted for numerous chunk plays and the Dolphins lost the game to the Bills by a score of 31-28.

Igbinoghene took many more lumps throughout the season but managed to have some positive moments as well. Many analysts predicted a significant year-two jump.

Unfortunately, if training camp practice reports are to be believed, that jump has not yet materialized. With Xavien Howard nursing a minor injury, Igbinoghene was given the opportunity to impress his coaches and fellow teammates by lining-up opposite Byron Jones as a boundary corner during training camp. In short order, Noah was replaced by Nik Needham, a 2019 undrafted free agent, who has spent most of his time in the pro ranks manning the slot position. Igbinoghene has been beaten deep consistently during camp, most recently by soon-to-be ex-Dolphin, Isaiah Ford, at Wednesday’s practice on multiple occasions.

Patience is a virtue, but Igbinoghene’s stock is clearly on the decline at the moment, which may change the Dolphins’ decision maker’s minds on whether or not to give-in to Xavien Howard’s contract demands. There is still plenty of time for #9 to turn things around and make an impact on this Dolphins team, but with preseason games starting in just 10 days, positive practice reports would be a welcome sight right about now.

So, what do you think? Is it time to panic? Is Noah Igbinoghene on the path to being a draft-day bust, or do you still believe the 21-year-old will turn it around once he grasps the nuances of the cornerback position? Let me know in the comments below! Fins up!

COMMENTS

No Comments

Back to top ↑

Terms of Use / Privacy Notice

© 2021 Vox Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

With their star CB Xavien Howard doing a contract holdout and asking for a trade now would be a great time for Noah to step up

• Like 1

Love this for Carl. He can be a piece to turn that sorry franchise around. Happy for him after all the injuries he's been through. I knew he was gonna be a beast at the next level.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Happy for Nick. He gets to do it all there, offense and defense. 

• Like 1

Davis and Dean mentioned prominently in the article. One of the top corner duos in the NFL.

Bucs' secondary aims to step out of Tom Brady's shadow and get overdue respect

JENNA LAINE

ESPN Staff Writer

6:00 AM ET7 Minute Read

TAMPA, Fla. -- It was once considered the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Achilles' heel and biggest obstacle to Tom Brady winning a seventh Super Bowl title.

The league’s youngest secondary surrendered a 69% completion percentage during the 2020 regular season -- fourth most in the league. But when the stakes were raised in the postseason, those defensive backs tightened up, giving up a 59.7% completion percentage in the playoffs.

“I don’t know what happened -- it just happened,” cornerback Jamel Dean said of the transformation. “I was just thinking to myself, ‘Maybe we just finally grew up.’”

Grew up and got a new nickname, which originated from a tweet by Carlton Davis after the Bucs’ upset of the New Orleans Saints in the NFC divisional game, where they held Drew Brees to a 57.1% completion rate (and picked him off three times).

“I don’t have a island. I gotta graveyard,” Davis tweeted with a skull and crossbones emoji. The next day, he captioned a photo of safety Jordan Whitehead and inside linebacker Devin White with “Grave Diggers.”

It stuck. And the secondary lived up to it.

It held Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes to a 53.1% completion rate, intercepting him twice (White produced a pick in that game as well as the game against the Saints). It also managed to hold off Packers quarterback and league MVP Aaron Rodgers in the NFC title game despite being down both starting safeties -- Antoine Winfield Jr. and Whitehead -- in the second half.

“That young secondary no one ever thought could do s---, look what you did!” Brady exclaimed in a rousing speech during the Bucs’ ring ceremony in which he called out each defensive back by name.

Carlton Davis and the Bucs defense held Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes to a 53.1% completion rate in Tampa Bay's Super Bowl win.

But outside of Brady and Bucs fans, the group remains largely anonymous -- with the exception of Winfield because his father, Antoine Winfield Sr., played for 14 seasons -- despite quietly helping the Bucs become one of the better defenses in the league. Winfield Jr. also gained notoriety for flashing the "peace out" sign to Tyreek Hill during the Super Bowl, mimicking the gesture Hill did to him after posting 269 receiving yards and three touchdowns in Week 12.

“All of us are unknown guys trying to make a name for ourselves," said Sean Murphy-Bunting, a second-round draft pick out of Central Michigan in 2019 now entering his third year.

“I think in this game it’s all about respect, and I don’t think we got the respect that we wanted, as a DB corps or even as a defense,” said Carlton Davis, who held Pro Bowler Michael Thomas catchless on four targets in the NFL divisional round. “I think we have a point to prove this year. It’s all about respect, and this year, I plan on taking it.”

To Davis’ point, the first image that appears in a Google search of Davis’ name isn’t even Davis. It’s Murphy-Bunting, who led the Bucs with three interceptions and two pass breakups in the postseason, becoming just the fourth player in the Super Bowl era with a pick in each of his first three playoff games, joining Pro Football Hall of Famers Aeneas Williams, Ed Reed and Jason Sehorn.

“I don’t look at myself as being the guy who caught three interceptions in the playoffs,” Murphy-Bunting said. “I look at myself as the guy that is just ready to work every day. I’m an underdog, I’ve been an underdog my whole life, I’ve been overlooked my entire life. I’m not going to act like I’m a champion in that aspect, but the work ethic and everything like that will still stay high.”

There are a number of areas the Bucs’ secondary feels can be improved upon this year. For one, Dean, now entering his third season out of Auburn, is finally understanding the three-step technique, which requires eye discipline and anticipation and allows a cornerback to get a quick jump on a throw. He showed glimpses of that breaking up a slant pattern against the Atlanta Falcons in Week 17, but defensive coordinator Todd Bowles has really seen a change in Dean this training camp.

“I think a year ago, he couldn't acknowledge that, so we had to do a couple different things not to let him in that situation,” Bowles said. “This year in that situation he's seeing it like a true corner, from a growth standpoint. That showed a big step forward there, but we've got to keep working."

Wide receiver Mike Evans has seen a difference.

“They’ve always had energy and effort. It’s just the technique things and learning route concepts," Evans said. "They get better each year. I’m excited to see what they do this year. You come into this game and there’s a lot to learn. You’re going against the best of the best. You’ve gotta learn on the fly. This year will be their best year I think.”

Bowles has also worked with the group on having a better understanding of the ins and outs of his scheme and everyone’s respective roles in it, along with understanding the “whys,” versus just playing the defense that’s called. Doing so can allow players to take more calculated risks, when warranted.

He also has the potential to expand the playbook more now that his group has more experience. For the first time in Bowles’ tenure, he won’t have a rookie starting on the back end. The last time the Bucs did not have a rookie starting in their secondary was 2014.

"That first year, they throw so many things out at you just learning the scheme and things like that," Winfield said. "But after being in the system for a year, I just feel like mentally my game is just sharper and a little bit better than last year...

"Over time, the more you do something, you get those same looks like, 'OK, I know what I'm supposed to do now' so I can play my game a little bit faster."

This group will have the benefit of continuity, and the players feel it's helping their communication. Davis, Dean and Murphy-Bunting are expected to be the starters at cornerback again, with Whitehead primarily lining up as a strong safety and Winfield free safety, and Mike Edwards rotating in at safety. There's also the potential for Ross Cockrell, a key reserve last season, to be in the mix -- possibly even at both positions after notching multiple interceptions this training camp, including a three-pick practice this week off of Blaine Gabbert and Ryan Griffin.

Coach Bruce Arians believes they can have more takeaways and more consistency, too. The Bucs were seventh in the league with 15 interceptions during the regular season, three up from 2019. But they had 55 pass breakups in 2020. A number of those plays were dropped interceptions.

“I can’t go for PBUs because apparently PBUs can’t get you All-Pro,” Dean said.

“One of the greatest corners I ever saw was Albert Lewis,” Arians said. “Same length [as Davis] -- he looks a lot like him. Albert couldn't catch. He won the title of batting balls away, but you couldn't complete anything on him.”

But by comparison, the New England Patriots’ defense had 25 picks in 2019. The Chicago Bears had 27 in 2018. It should be noted, though, that interceptions were down leaguewide in 2020, with no team finishing with more than 18.

There’s also been an increased emphasis this year on situational football, including doing more two-minute situations, closing out halves, closing out games, red zone situations and coming out of halftime.

“They're still just growing. They're all very, very young,” Arians said. “The more understanding they have of what they're playing, and what's trying to be done to them, the better they can get. I would think the entire secondary can all get better -- a lot better."

Evans hopes people take notice.

“Our secondary is probably the best secondary in the game,” Evans said, “if I had to choose one.”

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Paladin said:

Davis and Dean mentioned prominently in the article. One of the top corner duos in the NFL.

Bucs' secondary aims to step out of Tom Brady's shadow and get overdue respect

JENNA LAINE

ESPN Staff Writer

6:00 AM ET7 Minute Read

TAMPA, Fla. -- It was once considered the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Achilles' heel and biggest obstacle to Tom Brady winning a seventh Super Bowl title.

The league’s youngest secondary surrendered a 69% completion percentage during the 2020 regular season -- fourth most in the league. But when the stakes were raised in the postseason, those defensive backs tightened up, giving up a 59.7% completion percentage in the playoffs.

“I don’t know what happened -- it just happened,” cornerback Jamel Dean said of the transformation. “I was just thinking to myself, ‘Maybe we just finally grew up.’”

Grew up and got a new nickname, which originated from a tweet by Carlton Davis after the Bucs’ upset of the New Orleans Saints in the NFC divisional game, where they held Drew Brees to a 57.1% completion rate (and picked him off three times).

“I don’t have a island. I gotta graveyard,” Davis tweeted with a skull and crossbones emoji. The next day, he captioned a photo of safety Jordan Whitehead and inside linebacker Devin White with “Grave Diggers.”

It stuck. And the secondary lived up to it.

It held Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes to a 53.1% completion rate, intercepting him twice (White produced a pick in that game as well as the game against the Saints). It also managed to hold off Packers quarterback and league MVP Aaron Rodgers in the NFC title game despite being down both starting safeties -- Antoine Winfield Jr. and Whitehead -- in the second half.

“That young secondary no one ever thought could do s---, look what you did!” Brady exclaimed in a rousing speech during the Bucs’ ring ceremony in which he called out each defensive back by name.

Carlton Davis and the Bucs defense held Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes to a 53.1% completion rate in Tampa Bay's Super Bowl win.

But outside of Brady and Bucs fans, the group remains largely anonymous -- with the exception of Winfield because his father, Antoine Winfield Sr., played for 14 seasons -- despite quietly helping the Bucs become one of the better defenses in the league. Winfield Jr. also gained notoriety for flashing the "peace out" sign to Tyreek Hill during the Super Bowl, mimicking the gesture Hill did to him after posting 269 receiving yards and three touchdowns in Week 12.

“All of us are unknown guys trying to make a name for ourselves," said Sean Murphy-Bunting, a second-round draft pick out of Central Michigan in 2019 now entering his third year.

“I think in this game it’s all about respect, and I don’t think we got the respect that we wanted, as a DB corps or even as a defense,” said Carlton Davis, who held Pro Bowler Michael Thomas catchless on four targets in the NFL divisional round. “I think we have a point to prove this year. It’s all about respect, and this year, I plan on taking it.”

To Davis’ point, the first image that appears in a Google search of Davis’ name isn’t even Davis. It’s Murphy-Bunting, who led the Bucs with three interceptions and two pass breakups in the postseason, becoming just the fourth player in the Super Bowl era with a pick in each of his first three playoff games, joining Pro Football Hall of Famers Aeneas Williams, Ed Reed and Jason Sehorn.

“I don’t look at myself as being the guy who caught three interceptions in the playoffs,” Murphy-Bunting said. “I look at myself as the guy that is just ready to work every day. I’m an underdog, I’ve been an underdog my whole life, I’ve been overlooked my entire life. I’m not going to act like I’m a champion in that aspect, but the work ethic and everything like that will still stay high.”

There are a number of areas the Bucs’ secondary feels can be improved upon this year. For one, Dean, now entering his third season out of Auburn, is finally understanding the three-step technique, which requires eye discipline and anticipation and allows a cornerback to get a quick jump on a throw. He showed glimpses of that breaking up a slant pattern against the Atlanta Falcons in Week 17, but defensive coordinator Todd Bowles has really seen a change in Dean this training camp.

“I think a year ago, he couldn't acknowledge that, so we had to do a couple different things not to let him in that situation,” Bowles said. “This year in that situation he's seeing it like a true corner, from a growth standpoint. That showed a big step forward there, but we've got to keep working."

Wide receiver Mike Evans has seen a difference.

“They’ve always had energy and effort. It’s just the technique things and learning route concepts," Evans said. "They get better each year. I’m excited to see what they do this year. You come into this game and there’s a lot to learn. You’re going against the best of the best. You’ve gotta learn on the fly. This year will be their best year I think.”

Bowles has also worked with the group on having a better understanding of the ins and outs of his scheme and everyone’s respective roles in it, along with understanding the “whys,” versus just playing the defense that’s called. Doing so can allow players to take more calculated risks, when warranted.

He also has the potential to expand the playbook more now that his group has more experience. For the first time in Bowles’ tenure, he won’t have a rookie starting on the back end. The last time the Bucs did not have a rookie starting in their secondary was 2014.

"That first year, they throw so many things out at you just learning the scheme and things like that," Winfield said. "But after being in the system for a year, I just feel like mentally my game is just sharper and a little bit better than last year...

"Over time, the more you do something, you get those same looks like, 'OK, I know what I'm supposed to do now' so I can play my game a little bit faster."

This group will have the benefit of continuity, and the players feel it's helping their communication. Davis, Dean and Murphy-Bunting are expected to be the starters at cornerback again, with Whitehead primarily lining up as a strong safety and Winfield free safety, and Mike Edwards rotating in at safety. There's also the potential for Ross Cockrell, a key reserve last season, to be in the mix -- possibly even at both positions after notching multiple interceptions this training camp, including a three-pick practice this week off of Blaine Gabbert and Ryan Griffin.

Coach Bruce Arians believes they can have more takeaways and more consistency, too. The Bucs were seventh in the league with 15 interceptions during the regular season, three up from 2019. But they had 55 pass breakups in 2020. A number of those plays were dropped interceptions.

“I can’t go for PBUs because apparently PBUs can’t get you All-Pro,” Dean said.

“One of the greatest corners I ever saw was Albert Lewis,” Arians said. “Same length [as Davis] -- he looks a lot like him. Albert couldn't catch. He won the title of batting balls away, but you couldn't complete anything on him.”

But by comparison, the New England Patriots’ defense had 25 picks in 2019. The Chicago Bears had 27 in 2018. It should be noted, though, that interceptions were down leaguewide in 2020, with no team finishing with more than 18.

There’s also been an increased emphasis this year on situational football, including doing more two-minute situations, closing out halves, closing out games, red zone situations and coming out of halftime.

“They're still just growing. They're all very, very young,” Arians said. “The more understanding they have of what they're playing, and what's trying to be done to them, the better they can get. I would think the entire secondary can all get better -- a lot better."

Evans hopes people take notice.

“Our secondary is probably the best secondary in the game,” Evans said, “if I had to choose one.”

Brady was good last season but folks really don't talk about that defense enough. 

Rookie K.J. Britt eager for preseason opener with Bucs

Today 5:30 AM

By Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com

Rookie linebacker K.J. Britt is eager to put into practice what he’s learned during his short time in the NFL when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers start their preseason schedule against the Cincinnati Bengals on Saturday night.

“I can’t wait, man,” Britt said on Monday. “I’ve been playing football all my life, so to play in a game on the biggest stage, I can’t wait. …

“I’m just trying to make sure all my practice habits carry over to my game, so I’m just trying to make sure so that when they do see me, everything that I practiced, everything from sideline to sideline that I’ll be able to showcase it.”

Tampa Bay selected Britt from Auburn in the fifth round of the NFL Draft on May 1.

Ahead of Britt at inside linebacker on the Buccaneers’ depth chart are Lavonte David and Devin White. David is a nine-year starter for Tampa Bay who had at least 101 tackles in eight of those seasons. The fifth player picked in the 2019 NFL Draft, White made 140 tackles in the 2020 regular season for the Bucs, who concluded the campaign by beating the Kansas City Chiefs 31-9 in Super Bowl LV.

“I’ve been able to learn a lot,” Britt said of working with David and White. “Each day, I’m learning. I’m soaking it up. Just little things that I can take from them, put it to my game, and it really helps, man. Each day, just learning. I can feel the growth, and I can see the growth on film, so I feel like what I’m soaking up from them is really helping my game.”

Among the things he has learned from the veterans, Britt said, was patience as plays develop.

“I never knew how patient this game was,” Britt said. “And then just reacting. I feel like that was something I was kind of aggressive with early. Like just in some situations, I’d be a lot aggressive, so I’m learning how to be patient and then how to react.

“And then helping myself out, too, with concepts. They really know concepts, like pass-scheme concepts, run-game concepts, so really and truthfully, just soaking up all I can. It’s just so much. It’s just a lot that I can learn from those guys.”

An All-State selection at Oxford in 2015 and 2016, when the Yellow Jackets posted an undefeated regular season, Britt made 69 tackles, including 10 behind the line of scrimmage, for Auburn in 2019.

But in 2020, Britt sustained a thumb injury in Auburn’s second game that kept him off the field for the Tigers’ remaining nine contests. Britt got back on the field at the Reese’s Senior Bowl in January and has been a full participant in practice for Tampa Bay.

The Bengals and Buccaneers will square off at 6:30 p.m. CDT Saturday at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida. Some fans in Alabama will be able to watch the game on WFNA in Gulf Shores or WMBB in Panama City, Florida.

• Love 1

Jets’ Robert Saleh on DE Carl Lawson: ‘He is an absolute professional’

By Ryan Honey - On 08/10/202

Carl Lawson is expected to greatly improve the Jets’ pass-rushing production in his inaugural year with the team.

There were many needs in Florham Park this past offseason…to say the least.

New offensive weapons were required, an upgrade on the offensive line was expected, and many believed the Jets were to bring in a new starting quarterback.

But one of the larger missing pieces of the puzzle happened to be at the edge rusher position — with a new head coach-defensive coordinator tandem in Robert Saleh and Jeff Ulbrich in place, the Jets (hopefully) fixed that issue with the signing of Carl Lawson to a three-year contract.

Lawson has proven to be one of the more underrated but talented 4-3 defensive ends this league has to offer. And despite the regular season still being over a month away, Saleh already notices what the 26-year-old could bring to the table.

“What’s cool is his work ethic and the way he goes about his day-to-day process,” the rookie head coach told the media Tuesday. “He is relentless with his body, he is relentless with his work ethic. He is an absolute professional. There’s the old saying, ‘Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard,’ and this dude, not only is he talented but he works his absolute butt off. And because of it, you see results.”

The talent is certainly present but doesn’t show up in the most notorious statistical category for this position — sacks. In four years with Cincinnati (51 total games), Lawson combined for just 20 sacks. This includes recording just 5.5 sacks in a full 16-game season last year.

But Saleh understands this numerical total doesn’t define what Lawson can truly do for this team; there’s more to the position than just the number of times you can physically get to the quarterback.

“We all gear into ‘sacks, sacks, sacks’ but when you’re disrupting the quarterback, you’re disrupting the game,” Saleh said. “It’s a two-way street — the d-line’s job is to disrupt the quarterback, the back end’s job is to make sure that quarterback hitches by playing tight, aggressive coverage. And if the quarterback hitches, looking to his No. 2, 3, or 4 [target], that’s when the d-line comes back into play and makes them pay a price for holding onto the ball.

“Carl is one of those guys that’s going to transcend the scheme. He enters, he’s going to continue to disrupt.”

The on-field value of the Jets defensive line could be at a noteworthy level due to the talent across the board and how well each individual can potentially gel with one another.

Defensive tackle Quinnen Williams is one of the top young players at his position while Sheldon Rankins has notable upside (recorded 40 combined tackles and eight sacks in 2018).

The production on the interior could greatly combine with the talents of Lawson, who Saleh believes has the ability to go above and beyond what’s expected of him.

“I always argue that for every quarterback you need two great edge rushers. They’re hard to come by,” Saleh stated. “There are good edge rushers around the league…but those ones that transcend the game are rare. But to be able to get one in this building like Carl — it’s awesome, especially with the push that we should be able to get from the middle of the defensive line.”

The performance of Lawson and the rest of the Jets front seven will be crucial to the defense’s overall success in 2021. The defensive line and linebacking corps must take pressure off a secondary that may include two young and inexperienced starting cornerbacks in Bryce Hall and Bless Austin

• Like 1

Linebacker Josh Bynes returns to NFL

Updated Aug 11, 2021; Posted Aug 11, 2021

Linebacker Josh Bynes started every game for the Cincinnati Bengals last season and reached a career high with 99 tackles in his 10th NFL campaign. But the former Auburn standout didn’t have a spot in the NFL for 2021 until Wednesday.

The Carolina Panthers announced Bynes had signed with the team for an 11th NFL season.

The Panthers’ projected starter at middle linebacker is Denzel Perryman. Signed as a free agent in March, Perryman has been sidelined by an undisclosed injury, and Carolina coach Matt Rhule indicated on Monday that the linebacker’s return was not imminent.

“It still looks like he’s a ways away,” Rhule said. “He’s not coming along quite as quickly as we would have hoped. It’s put more stress on Clay Johnston and Julian Stanford to take more reps, but we’ll have to wait and see when they clear him and when he feels like he can go.”

Johnston took three defensive snaps as a seventh-round rookie for Carolina in 2020. Stanford has forged an eight-year NFL career mainly as a special-teamer. He played 16 defensive snaps for the Panthers last season.

Carolina opens its preseason schedule against the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday. The Panthers are scheduled to practice with the Colts in Indianapolis on Thursday and Friday.

Although Bynes led Auburn’s 2010 undefeated BCS national championship team in tackles, NFL teams passed on him in the 2011 draft. After signing with the Baltimore Ravens, he was cut at the end of the preseason before being brought back in November by the Ravens for the practice squad and making it to the active roster for one game in 2011.

Despite the inauspicious start, Bynes has survived a decade in the league and earning a Super Bowl ring with the Ravens as the champions of the 2012 season.

Bynes made the final tackle in Baltimore’s 34-31 victory over the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl XLVII even though he suffered cracked vertebrae in training camp followed by his release before the 2012 season began. He ended up starting the final three regular-season contests with Baltimore star Ray Lewis sidelined by an injury.

When the Ravens added Alabama All-American C.J. Mosley as a first-round draft choice in 2014, Bynes was back on the practice squad after starting six games in 2013.

The Detroit Lions signed Bynes from there in 2014, and in 2015, he finished second on the team in tackles. A knee injury led to his release in 2016, but Bynes returned to start for the second half of that season in Detroit.

That didn’t get him re-signed, though, and it wasn’t until Aug. 5, 2017, that the Cardinals picked up Bynes. After playing in 14 games in 2017, Bynes became a starter in 2018 before suffering a season-ending injury in the 11th game.

When Arizona released Bynes with two years left on his contract, he had to wait until Oct. 2, 2019, for his next NFL opportunity, back with the Ravens, who had just yielded 1,033 yards in back-to-back losses.

After starting seven of 12 games in his return to Baltimore in 2019, Bynes signed a one-year contract with the Bengals soon after free agency opened in 2020.

In his NFL career, Bynes has played in 117 regular-season games with 63 starts, plus seven playoff appearances. In the regular season, he has made 744 tackles, registered 31 tackles for loss, recorded 5.5 sacks, intercepted four passes, broken up 28 passes, forced three fumbles and recovered three fumbles.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Paladin said:

Linebacker Josh Bynes returns to NFL

Updated Aug 11, 2021; Posted Aug 11, 2021

Linebacker Josh Bynes started every game for the Cincinnati Bengals last season and reached a career high with 99 tackles in his 10th NFL campaign. But the former Auburn standout didn’t have a spot in the NFL for 2021 until Wednesday.

The Carolina Panthers announced Bynes had signed with the team for an 11th NFL season.

The Panthers’ projected starter at middle linebacker is Denzel Perryman. Signed as a free agent in March, Perryman has been sidelined by an undisclosed injury, and Carolina coach Matt Rhule indicated on Monday that the linebacker’s return was not imminent.

“It still looks like he’s a ways away,” Rhule said. “He’s not coming along quite as quickly as we would have hoped. It’s put more stress on Clay Johnston and Julian Stanford to take more reps, but we’ll have to wait and see when they clear him and when he feels like he can go.”

Johnston took three defensive snaps as a seventh-round rookie for Carolina in 2020. Stanford has forged an eight-year NFL career mainly as a special-teamer. He played 16 defensive snaps for the Panthers last season.

Carolina opens its preseason schedule against the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday. The Panthers are scheduled to practice with the Colts in Indianapolis on Thursday and Friday.

Although Bynes led Auburn’s 2010 undefeated BCS national championship team in tackles, NFL teams passed on him in the 2011 draft. After signing with the Baltimore Ravens, he was cut at the end of the preseason before being brought back in November by the Ravens for the practice squad and making it to the active roster for one game in 2011.

Despite the inauspicious start, Bynes has survived a decade in the league and earning a Super Bowl ring with the Ravens as the champions of the 2012 season.

Bynes made the final tackle in Baltimore’s 34-31 victory over the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl XLVII even though he suffered cracked vertebrae in training camp followed by his release before the 2012 season began. He ended up starting the final three regular-season contests with Baltimore star Ray Lewis sidelined by an injury.

When the Ravens added Alabama All-American C.J. Mosley as a first-round draft choice in 2014, Bynes was back on the practice squad after starting six games in 2013.

The Detroit Lions signed Bynes from there in 2014, and in 2015, he finished second on the team in tackles. A knee injury led to his release in 2016, but Bynes returned to start for the second half of that season in Detroit.

That didn’t get him re-signed, though, and it wasn’t until Aug. 5, 2017, that the Cardinals picked up Bynes. After playing in 14 games in 2017, Bynes became a starter in 2018 before suffering a season-ending injury in the 11th game.

When Arizona released Bynes with two years left on his contract, he had to wait until Oct. 2, 2019, for his next NFL opportunity, back with the Ravens, who had just yielded 1,033 yards in back-to-back losses.

After starting seven of 12 games in his return to Baltimore in 2019, Bynes signed a one-year contract with the Bengals soon after free agency opened in 2020.

In his NFL career, Bynes has played in 117 regular-season games with 63 starts, plus seven playoff appearances. In the regular season, he has made 744 tackles, registered 31 tackles for loss, recorded 5.5 sacks, intercepted four passes, broken up 28 passes, forced three fumbles and recovered three fumbles.

@cole256, do you already own the movie rights? DAMN. Warrior is right. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

@cole256, do you already own the movie rights? DAMN. Warrior is right. 

I was just thinking for him to play damn near every snap for us.....as you can see you just have to think of all the injuries. Just know for every one that's reported there are 5 that's not.

I tell you what it speaks volumes that teams would release him then come right back to him for help......speaks alot about his character. His perseverance has been amazing and inspiring. I hope that he coaches one day and I hope it's here.

If people wanted a guy to put on a pedestal and represent Auburn he's it. Tough, reliable, no quit, high character, relentless, a leader, a champion, in college and professional.

That's why I say I don't know why he isn't more revered by us as a whole. Hopefully he'll get his due though

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I was just thinking for him to play damn near every snap for us.....as you can see you just have to think of all the injuries. Just know for every one that's reported there are 5 that's not.

I tell you what it speaks volumes that teams would release him then come right back to him for help......speaks alot about his character. His perseverance has been amazing and inspiring. I hope that he coaches one day and I hope it's here.

If people wanted a guy to put on a pedestal and represent Auburn he's it. Tough, reliable, no quit, high character, relentless, a leader, a champion, in college and professional.

That's why I say I don't know why he isn't more revered by us as a whole. Hopefully he'll get his due though

I'm here for the Byneaissance. 

“Bynes made the final tackle in Baltimore’s 34-31 victory over the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl XLVII even though he suffered cracked vertebrae in training camp followed by his release before the 2012 season began. He ended up starting the final three regular-season contests with Baltimore star Ray Lewis sidelined by an injury.”

This paragraph alone is a movie!!

• Like 3

Iggy didn’t look too good from what I saw and Schwartz didn’t play but I’ve seen this from KJ