Auburn In The NFL Thread

aujeff11

3 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

The only reason I have a moderate interest in the NFL is to watch former AU players play.

This year I hope that the NFL will take a stand that the other pro sports have refused to take. No kneeling or disrespecting our county. I want to watch our former players play in the pro ranks, but will refuse to watch if players kneel. I know there will be some that agree with me and some that don't.

I long for the days when you turned on your t.v. to watch a sporting event strictly for the sporting aspect of it without all the politics involved.

Racial injustice isn't political. You might want to get yourself ready to stop watching the game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tgrogan21 said:

Racial injustice isn't political. You might want to get yourself ready to stop watching the game.

I will. No problem.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

You can kneel before the National Anthem and protest racial injustice.

You can kneel after the National Anthem and protest racial injustice.

When you kneel during the National Anthem, you are practicing politics and disrespecting our country.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

You can kneel before the National Anthem and protest racial injustice.

You can kneel after the National Anthem and protest racial injustice.

When you kneel during the National Anthem, you are practicing politics and disrespecting our country.

Nope, not even close. Thanks for playing, though. Hell, Colin Kaepernick talked to a military veteran who advised him to do it the way he's doing it. But again, enjoy not watching any NFL (if we even get a season) because players aren't going to just shut up and play like most of you guys want. No need for you to continue the conversation, though, because as you think "this is politics" and it might get it moved to the politics board.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Cam Newton named starting QB and captain for the NE Patriots.

Ok, I hate the Patriots. 

So how now do I root for Cam, but want the Pats to lose every game? 

Tough but have QB1 and QB2 as Auburn players helps.  

50 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Ok, I hate the Patriots. 

The pats will have my support as long as Cam/Stiddy are under center, unless of course New England pulls the same kind of nonsense Carolina did. 

Once they’re gone, I’ll stop caring about the pats.

15 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Ok, I hate the Patriots. 

Non-negotiable. Gotta pick.

As a man married to a Patriots fan, I'm finally able to honestly root for the Evil Empire instead of just pretending to. And as a Cam fan, it is so rewarding to see him get out of that small market and play on the big stage where he belongs.

Bill Belichick and Bob Kraft are still giant douchebags. But one of them is the best to ever do his job.

Edited by McLoofus

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Non-negotiable. Gotta pick.

As a man married to a Patriots fan, I'm finally able to honestly root for the Evil Empire instead of just pretending to. And as a Cam fan, it is so rewarding to see him get out of that small market and play on the big stage where he belongs.

Bill Belichick and Bob Kraft are still giant douchebags. But one of them is the best to ever do his job.

Ok...I got it!

I will root for Cam(or JS) having a great year at QB, leading the Pats to the playoffs. 

But the only times I will NOT root for the Pats are if they play the Steelers* or if they make the Super Bowl (can't let them go 1 up on my Steelers for trophies. :))

*They can have a good game against the Steelers, but NE can't win it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Ok...I got it!

I will root for Cam(or JS) having a great year at QB, leading the Pats to the playoffs. 

But the only times I will NOT root for the Pats are if they play the Steelers* or if they make the Super Bowl (can't let them go 1 up on my Steelers for trophies. :))

*They can have a good game against the Steelers, but NE can't win it. 

Your a true Steeler fan.....................................

super bowl catch GIF by NFLPittsburgh Steelers GIF by NFL

• Like 1

Five drafted rookies from Auburn set to make their NFL debuts

by Mark Murphy

67 minutes ago

The first Auburn player selected in the 2020 National Football League Draft, Derrick Brown, is scheduled to start for the Carolina Panthers when they open their season on Sunday.

Brown, who was the No. 7 overall pick in the first round, is listed No. 1 on the depth chart at right defensive tackle in the Panthers’ 4-3 alignment.

With no exhibition games for any of the NFL teams, when Brown takes the field for a home game vs. the Las Vegas Raiders it will be the first time he has seen game action since playing for the Tigers at the Outback Bowl on New Year’s Day. The rookie said the preseason intrasquad scrimmages have been very important in getting ready to make his professional debut.

A teammate of Brown’s the past four years, offensive guard Mike Horton, is also on the Carolina roster as a member of the practice squad to open the season.

Noah Igbinoghene is scheduled to begin his season as the backup at left cornerback for the Miami Dolphins when they open on the road vs. the New England Patriots on Sunday. He is also listed as a second team kickoff returner, an assignment he handled in college.

The 30th player selected in the first round of the draft, Igbinoghene said this has been a challenging year to come into the NFL. “The game is kind of slowing down to me,” he said. “I feel like it has been hard for a lot of rookies in this class because we didn't have a preseason or minicamp.” Noting there haven’t been a lot of practices, either, the wide receiver turned defensive back said that he has tried to focus on the mental site of the game.

Gerald Alexander, who coaches Miami's defensive backs, said that he likes the rookie's competitiveness.

The Dolphins have two members of the 2019 Auburn team on their practice squad–cornerback Javaris Davis and defensive lineman Nick Coe.

Marlon Davidson, a second round pick by Atlanta at No. 47 overall, goes into his first pro game listed second team on the depth chart at defensive tackle after missing practice time with a knee strain.

There was speculation that he would miss the opener because of the injury, but he returned to practice this week and is expected to be ready to go on Sunday against the visiting Seattle Seahawks.

Falcons coaches asked Davidson, who played mostly defensive end at Auburn, to report for training camp weigh-in at 295 pounds and he hit that number on the nose. He was listed at 278 on the roster for his final college game.

Davidson is the second Auburn player on the Atlanta roster, joining nine-year veteran Josh Harris, a deep snapper.

Like Brown and Davidson, Daniel Thomas was a four-year contributor on defense at Auburn who was drafted this year. The 157th pick overall in the fifth round by the Jacksonville Jaguars, Thomas is listed No. 2 on his team’s initial depth chart at strong safety despite missing practice time with a hip problem and a hamstring issue.

Dave Caldwell, general manager of the Jaguars, noted that Thomas has had a “tremendous camp” to earn his spot on the 53-man roster. Another former Tiger with the Jaguars, defensive tackle Dontavius Russell, is on the team’s injured reserve list.

Jacksonville will open the season with a home game vs. Indianapolis.

Jack Driscoll, a fourth round selection of the Philadelphia Eagles as the 145th overall pick, is expected to be a backup at both tackle and guard for game one. In preseason he worked at right tackle and guard and recently has seen practice time at left tackle after the team’s projected starter at that position, Andre Dillard, suffered a season-ending injury.

Driscoll joined the Tigers for the 2018 season as a graduate transfer from UMass and was a regular in the starting lineup at right tackle, where he earned praise from Auburn's coaches. He has also won praise during the preseason from Doug Pedersen, head coach of the Eagles, who described Driscoll as a “very athletic guy” with the potential to be a very good offensive lineman in the NFL.

In addition to Driscoll, four-year NFL veteran Rudy Ford, a safety, is a former Tiger on the 53-man roster as the Eagles prepare to open the season on Sunday at Washington. Rookie offensive tackle Prince Tega Wanogho, Jr., a sixth round draft pick of the Eagles, is a member of the team’s practice squad.

Sorry to hear Iggy isn't starting. Good stuff otherwise. Driscoll might have himself a nice career if he can provide good depth at multiple positions. If you're not going to rack up enough to retire on in your first 5 years getting beat to hell and back, then keeping some tread on the tires and extending your career while earning really, really good money is quite the dream.

Cam looking good. First NE quarterback to run for a touchdown in the first game of a season in 50 years.

Cam gets a "W" in his first game with the Patriots. No passing touchdowns (they need some WRs sorely) but no turnovers either which is huge for him.

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Cam gets a "W" in his first game with the Patriots. No passing touchdowns (they need some WRs sorely) but no turnovers either which is huge for him.

The OC managed Cam well in running the offense.

I have one problem. Cam ran 15 times, which I think for his age and the wear and tear he already has endured, that will create problems down the road, if NE continues to let him run that much. 

I don't want to see him break down again. I hate NE, but  I want Cam to be successful.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, steeleagle said:

The OC managed Cam well in running the offense.

I have one problem. Cam ran 15 times, which I think for his age and the wear and tear he already has endured, that will create problems down the road, if NE continues to let him run that much. 

I don't want to see him break down again. I hate NE, but  I want Cam to be successful.

This is a very rosy view of it, but we are talking about a franchise that has completely owned their division in historic fashion for a very long time... 

...I could believe a scenario where McDaniels used this first game against a crap opponent to put a bunch of runs on film to force future defenses to prepare for/respect the possibility of Cam running. 

Of course, they might also be thinking they got this dude for almost nothing and it's a weird season that might not even finish and YOLO let's be 2010 Auburn.

• Like 1

Carlton Davis looked really good even though he was guarding Michael Thomas almost all game.

10 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

C.J. Uzomah catching Joe Burrow’s first NFL touchdown. Nice!

And then...

Good lord, our kids have the worst luck in the NFL. Almost every success comes at a terrible price. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

For real ... really questioning the way we strength train.  We do have a lot of injuries as rookies when trying to make a roster. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

And then...

Good lord, our kids have the worst luck in the NFL. Almost every success comes at a terrible price. 

Dammit. Dammit. Dammit! I turned it off before he got hurt. Those Achilles injuries can be tough to come back from.

• Sad 1

It's so good to see Cam back and healthy. Even if I have to watch the Patriots and root for them to win. If he continues this he definitely deserves comeback player of the year. ALMOST completed the comeback against the Seahawks.

10 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

It's so good to see Cam back and healthy. Even if I have to watch the Patriots and root for them to win. If he continues this he definitely deserves comeback player of the year. ALMOST completed the comeback against the Seahawks.

Yeah, he looked especially good on those last 2 drives to give Pats a chance to win.

Didn't like the last play call although Cam said he could have bounced it outside, but I dont think he would have made it either, as they were all up on that side, and would have tackled him. On that play the Pats had no WRs in on that play. It was telegraphed that Cam was going to run it period. I think they should have spread Seahawks out, and then let Cam decide to run or pass it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Yeah, he looked especially good on those last 2 drives to give Pats a chance to win.

Didn't like the last play call although Cam said he could have bounced it outside, but I dont think he would have made it either, as they were all up on that side, and would have tackled him. On that play the Pats had no WRs in on that play. It was telegraphed that Cam was going to run it period. I think they should have spread Seahawks out, and then let Cam decide to run or pass it.

I wouldn't have called that exact play either, but I definitely would have ran with Cam, I just would have went with his patented over the top superman dive. I don't ever remember anyone stopping that. It was a damn fine performance from Cam considering the Patriots #1 WR and deep-threat target is a 34 year-old with a bum knee.

IMO, if Cam is healthy he's a top 5 QB who consistently does more with less. If any of you have time, go to either the Patriots subreddit or their forum and the love for Cam is freaking amazing. People who previously hated him because of the media dogging him have now turned the corner and realize just how good of a person and player he is. Cam succeeding couldn't happen to a better person.

• Love 1