Murray: Fairley made me contemplate quitting

WFE12

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I actually pulled for uga in the 2012 SECCG. By 2017, I couldn't bear the thought of them winning a national title. Even if it meant bama winning it instead. I am still completely gutted over the Falcons collapse in the SB... but at least that means that a LOT of uga fans had their souls ripped clean out of their bodies and dragged through hell... TWICE.

Just my personal experience which is very limited. I of course know lots of awesome dwags and bammers. 

I am a life long Auburn fan and an AU alumni but my oldest son graduated at UGA. He now lives in Arizona and occasionally sees a fellow Bulldog out there but he says that the tide fans far and away out number the Georgia or Auburn fans he encounters. They are ubiquitous and obnoxious.

He pulls for Auburn except for the Georgia game and I reciprocate for Georgia. It does take some of the fun out of beating them knowing that it is causing him anguish. I guess that is one of the benefits of having beaten them only one time in the last five years.

I have no such constraint when it comes to Alabama and so I disdain them all out 24/7/365. The truth is that there are some great people in all fan bases but a few idiots can give the whole entity a bad reputation.

It reminds me that maybe we should remember that our behavior as Auburn fans could denigrate or enhance the reputation of the institution that we love.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Cheap shot or tone setter...

When sacking the QB you do want to rattle his confidence for sure.

Don't I recall that the dawg OL spent the entire night trying to chop block Fairly?     It was a rough game but the questionable plays occurred most of the game....JMO

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Don't I recall that the dawg OL spent the entire night trying to chop block Fairly?     It was a rough game but the questionable plays occurred most of the game....JMO

They weren't trying to hide it by the end of the game. Remember them going straight after him.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

those crybaby whiners- really restraining myself here with my choice of words- go waaaaaaay too far with it. As in, they're still whining about it. 9 years later. They're the worst fans I've ever encountered. Yes, bammers are the scum of the earth, but at least they're not so damned whiny about everything

On the contrary. I have a bammer friend that reminds me every single season how dirty Fairley was to Murray. Yes 9 years later. I always reply with .. 

WastefulGrimyGrayling-max-1mb.gif

fairleyripsopenmurrarychin_2010111510540

Hell hath no fury had we injured McElroy that season. 

Oh wait .. 

NecessaryGloomyBorderterrier-max-1mb.gif

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

8 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

They weren't trying to hide it by the end of the game. Remember them going straight after him.

Yep. WWE body drops on his back after the whistle and such. At least they weren't just whining about it like their fans STILL do. 

People have no idea what happens in the trenches and should before they pass judgement. There were a lot of things being done by the Georgia side, both to Fairley and other AU players, before Fairley took that shot. I remember a lot of chop blocking and some extra curricular activities going on in the pile. What Fairley did was no different than what a baseball team will do when one of their players gets intentionally hit by a pitcher. You have to stand your ground and send a message.

23 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

I am a life long Auburn fan and an AU alumni but my oldest son graduated at UGA. He now lives in Arizona and occasionally sees a fellow Bulldog out there but he says that the tide fans far and away out number the Georgia or Auburn fans he encounters. They are ubiquitous and obnoxious.

He pulls for Auburn except for the Georgia game and I reciprocate for Georgia. It does take some of the fun out of beating them knowing that it is causing him anguish. I guess that is one of the benefits of having beaten them only one time in the last five years.

I have no such constraint when it comes to Alabama and so I disdain them all out 24/7/365. The truth is that there are some great people in all fan bases but a few idiots can give the whole entity a bad reputation.

It reminds me that maybe we should remember that our behavior as Auburn fans could denigrate or enhance the reputation of the institution that we love.

I lived in Atlanta for 12 years. Like I said, I was good with them for the first half of that. After awhile, you notice things. The 2010 DSOR accelerated that discovery.

Hopefully your kid doesn't do that "THE university of georgia" crap that so many people I met in Atlanta would do. And hopefully he's not still whining about Nick Fairley like even more of them do. 

15 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

People have no idea what happens in the trenches and should before they pass judgement. There were a lot of things being done by the Georgia side, both to Fairley and other AU players, before Fairley took that shot. I remember a lot of chop blocking and some extra curricular activities going on in the pile. What Fairley did was no different than what a baseball team will do when one of their players gets intentionally hit by a pitcher. You have to stand your ground and send a message.

Relayed a longer version of this story recently, but... watching the 2010 SECCG in a bar, dude was yelling for USC to break Cam's leg, I smarted off to him, we jawed back and forth, at halftime he apologized and told me he used to play linebacker for the Cocks and that's just how it is out there but he understood why I took issue with it. 

And no, I never would have smarted off to that dude if we weren't in a crowded Taco Mac where there was zero chance of an actual fight happening. He reminded me of Will Herring. 

2 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

Pretty much 10 years later and this guy is still crying about this? He has issues. Time for Murray to stop whining and move on. Next will be his mommy whining for him again too, I suppose.

Whining is a staple in their family. Those who watched his older brother, Josh Murray, on any episode on the Bachelor know what I’m referring to. 

He became a forever-running joke on the show for eating pizza and moaning after every bite. Attention-starved whiny brat, just like his little brother .. 

giphy-8.gif

1 hour ago, IronMan70 said:

Not singling you out just using it as a source for terminology.  Most people that use the term chop block really dont know what constitutes a chop block.  Its very often misused so i would be curious what uga was doing that makes you and others refer to it as a chop block.  I dont remember much of that game except Fairleys hit.  :lol:

2 hours ago, Pedaler said:

Check me if I'm wrong, but I would think making a QB want to quit the sport would be a badge of honor for any D lineman

The longer they whine about Fairley, the larger the legend he becomes. i.e. see any NFL show on Deacon Jones, Jack Lambert, Dick Butkus, etc.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I actually pulled for uga in the 2012 SECCG. By 2017, I couldn't bear the thought of them winning a national title. Even if it meant bama winning it instead. I am still completely gutted over the Falcons collapse in the SB... but at least that means that a LOT of uga fans had their souls ripped clean out of their bodies and dragged through hell... TWICE.

Just my personal experience which is very limited. I of course know lots of awesome dwags and bammers. 

Where? I sure as hell have never met one! lol.

yt.gif

3 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

The longer they whine about Fairley, the larger the legend he becomes. i.e. see any NFL show on Deacon Jones, Jack Lambert, Dick Butkus, etc.

I'm very pleased by the response from Auburn twitter. Just about everything I've seen has been along the lines of "Inject Aaron Murray's tears into my veins" and "What Nick Fairley did to Aaron Murray was art" and "*Nick Fairley WWE belt pantomime dot gif*".

Just now, McLoofus said:

Wal-Mart

OH! you mean the Elephant Grave Yard?! Yah we do not go over there! Rule Number 1 in life! lmao.

yj.jpg

4 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I complain about living in Alabama, and then I talk to my friends from GA and realize I might not have it that bad. 

Have a bunch of UGA family members, sister included, but they are all very tame. My sister never even attended a football game during college there.

Consider herself lucky to never have to see grown men with their face painted and with spiked shoulder pads on barking at college kids football players! lol. No doubt (SORRY GUS I used your trademarked phrase there! haha) one of the weirdest "traditions" in college football!

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Consider herself lucky to never have to see grown men with their face painted and with spiked shoulder pads on barking at college kids football players! lol. No doubt (SORRY GUS I used your trademarked phrase there! lol) one of the weirdest "traditions" in college football!

Remember this guy? Lol. 

hqdefault.jpg

Just now, WalkingCarpet said:

Remember this guy? Lol. 

hqdefault.jpg

SPUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

I don't agree with this at all. I completely accept that we don't know everything that happened on the line that day, but I don't believe anything excuses a hit like that. I'll grant you that I've seen worse hits, but the nature of the hit - with the crown of Fairley's helmet aimed to the middle of Murray's back crosses the line for me. That hit could have easily ended Murray's career. To me, that's like throwing at a batter's head, which is still never acceptable in baseball. I'm not saying that doesn't happen in baseball, but that's bush league too. Even if Georgia's linemen were hi-low'ing Fairley, which is also incredibly dangerous, I don't think it excuses Fairley's hit. Neither have a place in the game. 

The funny thing is, Murray isn't really talking about the so-called "cheap shot," which was just a late hit and was properly flagged.

He's really complaining about the legal hit in his chest. That's where he cracked his sternum. That wasn't flagged because it wasn't illegal. There was only one play that warranted any reaction, and it drew a flag. People complained about the plays where Fairley landed on QBs, but it wasn't illegal then. They have since changed the rule, but he was completely within the rules back then.

Archived