Offensive Production & WR Use

ellitor

On 7/31/2019 at 3:13 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Nick wasn’t a freak from day one though. Other than the MSU game, it took a handful of games for us to really see more than game changer potential. The LSU 2nd half was nice but that was countered by the first half being the opposite. 

Didn’t say Marshall was a gamechanger from day one. Else we would have slaughtered WSU. Neither was Cam a gamechanger from day one. But both showed freakish ability at a few points in their first games. 

Currently, I don’t see the same with Gatewood. That can change and hope it does. I do think he’ll make a better than average zone read QB if he ever starts. But freakish talent? Yet to be determined at the college level. 

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, nobody's seen anything from Joey yet in his 4 total snaps as a college football player. That's almost as close to zero as you can get.

Hopefully we'll get at least north of 70 snaps in our first game and actually have something to form an opinion on. 

Cam was a monster game one when he started.....I'm confused when people feel like they could've seen what Joey has to contribute......they studied his cadence to a point they can tell he is going to be a bust? He hasn't even played yet

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, nobody's seen anything from Joey yet in his 4 total snaps as a college football player. That's almost as close to zero as you can get.

Hopefully we'll get at least north of 70 snaps in our first game and actually have something to form an opinion on. 

Agreed. I hope @aujeff11 gets his wish that Gatewood blows up the CF world. At the same, I hope Nix does too. This is the most torn I’ve been about a QB battle. 

30 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Cam was a monster game one when he started.....I'm confused when people feel like they could've seen what Joey has to contribute......they studied his cadence to a point they can tell he is going to be a bust? He hasn't even played yet

I didn't see it that way w/ Cam. He had a not so great spring game... 

He started off slow after the first raw meat game....(and I think Gus used him tentatively early on too)....

MSU...only had 130+ yds pass, 70 yds running, 2 TDs 1 int

Clemson..200 yds passing, 65+ yds running, 2 TDS, 2 int...

It was starting w/ USC...and definitely the KY and Ark games (Superman dive into EZ)...that he took off and began his dominance and confident QB play..This is when he became a monster.

W/ Gatewood, its not just how he manages the game that will tell if he is THE QB, but how well he feels throwing the ball early on, and especially in the SEC games...does he start to show he can be the monster at QB we are looking for...

..How anyone can see what Gatewood will bring..is ofc all a guess...The intangibles come w/ experience and confidence...especially for a QB...

16 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

He started off slow after the first raw meat game....(and I think Gus used him tentatively early on too)

Agreed. Cam didn’t have a great game against Arkansas State. His big freak play in that game where we all had to pick our jaws up was the scramble where he dodged almost the entire defense for 16 yards.

2 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Agreed. Cam didn’t have a great game against Arkansas State. His big freak play in that game where we all had to pick our jaws up was the scramble where he dodged almost the entire defense for 16 yards.

Dude. It is so rare that something like that play happens in sports, especially for your team. I remember exactly the one and how I felt at that moment. It was immediately like, "OMG. We have one of those guys." Like, Mike Vick, Barry Sanders, Randall Cunningham, Randy Moss, Deion Sanders... one of those guys. 

Guys... Cam was a RS-Jr when he showed all those signs.

Joey will need time.. A few years of it

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

He started off slow after the first raw meat game....(and I think Gus used him tentatively early on too)....

It was starting w/ USC...and definitely the KY and Ark games (Superman dive into EZ)...that he took off and began his dominance and confident QB play..This is when he became a monster.

W/ Gatewood, its not just how he manages the game that will tell if he is THE QB, but how well he feels throwing the ball early on, and especially in the SEC games...does he start to show he can be the monster at QB we are looking for...

..How anyone can see what Gatewood will bring..is ofc all a guess...The intangibles come w/ experience and confidence...especially for a QB...

USCe was his coming out game for sure. That was also the first game that I recall Gus calling his number in the run game consistently. I feel like most of his yards on the ground prior to USC came from scrambles on pass plays. 

Does everyone remember what it was like to feel like anything inside of 3rd and 5 was an almost certain first down? You didn't know how Cam was going to get the first down, you just knew he was going to get it. And it seemed like 9 times out of 10 he did. He was and is truly remarkable. 

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

His very first game he had 3td and 0 picks.....I'm not saying he didn't improve as the season went on but Tom Brady will throw an interception this season....nobody will EVER be perfect. But if you call it slow it's your opinion and I can't tell you what to do but I personally laugh when people pretend he wasn't good from jump...miss st had a decent defense, it was early in the season I'm pretty sure it was an away game....the Clemson game was impressive, they had a great d line and we had adversity and cam was right there in the middle holding the team together. He's been a baller since day 1

54 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Dude. It is so rare that something like that play happens in sports, especially for your team. I remember exactly the one and how I felt at that moment. It was immediately like, "OMG. We have one of those guys." Like, Mike Vick, Barry Sanders, Randall Cunningham, Randy Moss, Deion Sanders... one of those guys. 

Lol 5 td's but didn't have a good game? Bro these people want blood out of a stone

12 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

USCe was his coming out game for sure. That was also the first game that I recall Gus calling his number in the run game consistently. I feel like most of his yards on the ground prior to USC came from scrambles on pass plays. 

Does everyone remember what it was like to feel like anything inside of 3rd and 5 was an almost certain first down? You didn't know how Cam was going to get the first down, you just knew he was going to get it. And it seemed like 9 times out of 10 he did. He was and is truly remarkable. 

Don't remember how they came but every game before that he had more than 15 rushing attempts. It wasn't just him getting settled in everybody around him had to as well

Also, keep in mind Gus didn't know what he had on his hands in Cam until 4 games into the year....which isn't a surprise now

33 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Don't remember how they came but every game before that he had more than 15 rushing attempts. It wasn't just him getting settled in everybody around him had to as well

100% agreed, and more than anything I think it was Gus that was getting settled in. His play calling totally shifted from South Carolina onward. I'm sure there was a comfort level for Cam that settled in over the course of the first few games, but Cam was who he was from the get go. No doubt about that. 

One of my buddies played basketball with Cam in the spring and told me then that Cam was going to win the Heisman. He was great when he got to Auburn.

12 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

100% agreed, and more than anything I think it was Gus that was getting settled in. His play calling totally shifted from South Carolina onward. I'm sure there was a comfort level for Cam that settled in over the course of the first few games, but Cam was who he was from the get go. No doubt about that. 

One of my buddies played basketball with Cam in the spring and told me then that Cam was going to win the Heisman. He was great when he got to Auburn.

I didn't blame Gus at all for taking some time to figure things out in 2010 (or 2013). 

You just can't predict true greatness. If you do, you'll be wrong just about every time. Your hoops buddy notwithstanding. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I didn't blame Gus at all for taking some time to figure things out in 2010 (or 2013). 

You just can't predict true greatness. If you do, you'll be wrong just about every time. Your hoops buddy notwithstanding. 

I don't blame him either, but I'm glad he figured it out when he did. Clemson and Miss State were too close for comfort. 

with a returning offensive line, loaded WR Corp, and a stable of capable backs I don’t think you have to have Bo or Joey put this offense on their shoulders at least through the first 3 games.  The things that these QBs cannot do is throw Ints or take sacks that kill drives.  I think Auburn can beat Oregon with defense and minimal offensive mistakes.  Once you get into SEC road games one of these QBs will have to play like a seasoned veteran and become a dangerous weapon if Auburn wants to have a good season.  With the talent at WR Gus will be able to spread out the defenses and open up running lanes which will further aid whoever the Qb is.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yep this one:

Oregon has one of the best QB's in the country. When you have a QB that good you have to be careful, I wouldn't be too cocky thinking it won't be too hard to beat them. Especially if we don't have a crazy pass rush

Actually just look at 2010 with cam

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Oregon has one of the best QB's in the country. When you have a QB that good you have to be careful, I wouldn't be too cocky thinking it won't be too hard to beat them. Especially if we don't have a crazy pass rush

Actually just look at 2010 with cam

And that offensive line is no joke. They should legit be one of the best in the country.

We are going to have to score points.

Just now, McLoofus said:

And that offensive line is no joke. They should legit be one of the best in the country.

I agree, I just don't see the point of playing good teams first game of the season...one more parallel from 2010 if we had played Clemson or even Mississippi st the first game of the season I don't think we win.....I think it was important for cam to to have that success the first game to be able to overcome adversity on the road later

43 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I don't blame him either, but I'm glad he figured it out when he did. Clemson and Miss State were too close for comfort. 

I remember being pretty upset with Cam in those two games. No reason to not score 30+ against those teams given how much of a freak he was. Wow did he turn the corner against South Carolina. 

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I agree, I just don't see the point of playing good teams first game of the season...one more parallel from 2010 if we had played Clemson or even Mississippi st the first game of the season I don't think we win.....I think it was important for cam to to have that success the first game to be able to overcome adversity on the road later

100%. 

I wonder if we are going to see less of that now that Greene is the athletic director.

55 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

100%. 

I wonder if we are going to see less of that now that Greene is the athletic director.

Oh aloof and last thing, I thought about this the other day but didn't want to make a new thread about it but a big component about the championship team that's not talked about is the wr's blocking...who coached them? Trooper Taylor that's who! We always had a number wr when he was here!

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I’m not sure where lots of points are going to come from. I see the scoring similar to the UW game last year. 

Archived