Offensive Production & WR Use

ellitor

1 minute ago, DAG said:

You went from I don't have internet to now I am not going to do it. LOL. This guy.

If I didn’t have internet, how would I be posting at all. Lol. E!!!!

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

I just watched the first play. That route, at least when I was coming up, was commonly referred to as a fade. Maybe terminology has changed today?

No, it is a fade route. If we took a poll right now, majority of the posters would say it is a fade route except one. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Was I supposed to look that up for you? My internet broke. Will find it later. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Did you really think I was posting on here without internet?

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

No, it is a fade route. If we took a poll right now, majority of the posters would say it is a fade route except one. 

Yeah I think it's an all of the above kind of thing - referred to multiple ways, but ultimately called the same by the playbook. For instance, we didn't use different numbers to distinguish a "fade" from a "go". Outside release, up the field, throw to the outside shoulder - that's a 9. 

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

It's one thing to have a simple route tree, it's another thing to literally ask our WRs to only do 1 thing.

Sammie just ran a fly on 90% of the passes. Ryan Davis only caught passes along the LOS. Nate Craig-Meyers, we included him in our first 2 drive script every now and then but after that he just goes out there to block. Ricardo Louis was basically a RB...

We tie one hand behind our back by doing this in the name of going fast while actually refusing to go fast...

Ran out of reactions but God Bless you for this comment sir.

1 minute ago, WFE12 said:

Ran out of reactions but God Bless you for this comment sir.

Your Stephen A pic still kills me. His hairline is going farther and farther by each day. ESPN is working him to death and the Knicks lol.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Your Stephen A pic still kills me. His hairline is going farther and farther by each day. ESPN is working him to death and the Knicks lol.

I love it. It perfectly captures my feeling these days with this football program.

10 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Yeah I think it's an all of the above kind of thing - referred to multiple ways, but ultimately called the same by the playbook. For instance, we didn't use different numbers to distinguish a "fade" from a "go". Outside release, up the field, throw to the outside shoulder - that's a 9. 

I have never beard of a 40 to a 50 yard fade. You’re thinking of like flag corner routes (or something) and they do have numbers. We did have 9 as straight seam routes too. 

Corner routes turn into fades in tbe RZ.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

I have never beard of a 40 to a 50 yard fade. You’re thinking of like flag corner routes (or something) and they do have numbers. We did have 9 as straight seam routes too. 

Corner routes turn into fades in tbe RZ.

No I'm thinking of a fade, sure about that. Like I said, the same route was referred to in multiple ways - outside release, up the field, ball to the boundary to avoid the safety. Called a 9, but have heard it referred to as a go/fly/fade/streak, etc. 

11 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

No I'm thinking of a fade, sure about that. Like I said, the same route was referred to in multiple ways - outside release, up the field, ball to the boundary to avoid the safety. Called a 9, but have heard it referred to as a go/fly/fade/streak, etc. 

Maybe so but it’s not always outside release. It’s not really a fade unless in scoring position. Like at some point 50 yards downs the field it’s not a fade anymore. It’s just a bomb to run under. 

20 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

This article calls the go route a vertical cousin.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/athlonsports.com/college-football/why-does-fade-have-prominent-place-college-football%3famp

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

I'm not arguing that the goal line fade isn't commonly referred to as a fade. I'm telling you that for a fact, what you are describing as a "go" route, is commonly and interchangeably referred to as a "fade" route, and that it isn't limited to goal line situations. It depends on who you are talking to.

For instance, in his book "Coaching Football Successfully", coach Allen Trimble talks about his five-step vertical passing game. Notice what he refers to the outside routes as: "fades".  Remember we are talking about a 5-step vertical passing game against a 2-deep alignment. 

Screenshot (4).png

Allen Trimble, by the way, it the most successful high school coach in Oklahoma history. Bob Stoops wrote the forward to this book. I'm not making this stuff up. 

20 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I'm not arguing that the goal line fade isn't commonly referred to as a fade. I'm telling you that for a fact, what you are describing as a "go" route, is commonly and interchangeably referred to as a "fade" route, and that it isn't limited to goal line situations. It depends on who you are talking to.

For instance, in his book "Coaching Football Successfully", coach Allen Trimble talks about his five-step vertical passing game. Notice what he refers to the outside routes as: "fades".  Remember we are talking about a 5-step vertical passing game against a 2-deep alignment. 

Screenshot (4).png

Allen Trimble, by the way, it the most successful high school coach in Oklahoma history. Bob Stoops wrote the forward to this book. I'm not making this stuff up. 

I don’t even know what I’m looking at. I see some TEs doing straight seams (9) and inside WRs taking inside position on 9 routes. 

But I see enough evidence that 50 yard bombs can be called fades even if there is no fading to the sidelines going on... Your point is taken.

Also, a nice article on the variations of the vertical routes that makes the actual routes make more sense than lumping all the 9s into “fades” or “gos”

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/separation-school-part-1-the-vertical-route

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Also, a nice article on the variations of the vertical routes that makes the actual routes make more sense than lumping all the 9s into “fades” or “gos”

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/separation-school-part-1-the-vertical-route

This is a good breakdown.

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Alright Jeff. You are legitimately the only poster just arguing to argue.

tenor.gif?itemid=3577783

7 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Agreed. Dude is an athletic freak though. 

It's a bit offensive for me to say DK Metcalf is quite as limited as Sammie - his hands are definitely better - but they offer very similar skillsets except DK is just better. In one respect, that could do him very bad even with being bigger and more grabby, guy is even more rigid. One of the most rigid receivers ever, per his shuttle drill. It's very possible that guy ends up mirroring Coates, although SC also had a bad injury bug

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Nostradamus has entered the forum.

IS this how you make your wife announce you to guests before you enter a room?! lol 

er.gif

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It's a bit offensive for me to say DK Metcalf is quite as limited as Sammie - his hands are definitely better - but they offer very similar skillsets except DK is just better. In one respect, that could do him very bad even with being bigger and more grabby, guy is even more rigid. One of the most rigid receivers ever, per his shuttle drill. It's very possible that guy ends up mirroring Coates, although SC also had a bad injury bug

He will be a one trick pony OverLord.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Nostradamus has entered the forum.

Ah, yes, Nostradamus. That wizard who mystified his contemporaries by observing established behavioral patterns and guessing that they might continue. Not to mention his ability to read. 

Archived