Auburn's Week 1 Depth Chart

RunInRed

35 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Maybe I'm misremembering this, but wasn't the talk around recruiting time that Malik was supposedly even better than KJ?  (They played together in high school right and Malik was a year behind right?)  Anyway, it will be interesting to see the load distribution with the RB's.

I wasn't on the board at that time, but as a fan of Madison Academy and seeing them play I never once had a thought that MM was better than KJ. I did think he would turn out to be more productive than he has though. You know who his build reminds me of.....Rudy Johnson. Wish he played like Rudy.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cole256 said:

To me some stuff just translate, I don't care what style I run but if I see Coe at linebacker I'm trying to isolate him out in space andmake some things happen

Again, not full linebacker responsibilities. 

Steele and co. will be personnel matching just like every other defense. They're also free to check out of a defensive call. 

Hey, do you remember the time when Gus started Roc, then brought in Jovon for two plays (8 yard avg), then let Barber get the most of the carries?

Yeah, that was awesome.

source.gif

45 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Steele and co. will be personnel matching just like every other defense. They're also free to check out of a defensive call. 

What are you talking about? You're trying to debate something that's not there. If you go out on the field you can be exploited. Period

48 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

I honestly think everyone is overreacting to this Coe OLB thing. I believe Gus did that because Coe is such a valuable asset to our D that he wanted his name as a starter. I think the closest thing we will see to Coe lining up at OLB with the exception of Buck will be in a 46 or Bear type of Front. Otherwise...I think its all semantics.

24 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I honestly think everyone is overreacting to this Coe OLB thing. I believe Gus did that because Coe is such a valuable asset to our D that he wanted his name as a starter. I think the closest thing we will see to Coe lining up at OLB with the exception of Buck will be in a 46 or Bear type of Front. Otherwise...I think its all semantics.

I don't think Gus had anything to do with Coe's name and position. I think Steele has a lot of different sets, and Coe being so versatile, he drew up that position, and plans on using it depending on the offensive set Oregon uses. I think it's all based on our first game.

And I agree, regardless of the depth chart, it's guaranteed that when we see the offensive plays and defensive plays show up after each play, that it will NOT resemble much at all in the depth chart.

ps...Malik Miller, IMO is NOT the  3rd best back in that chart. I think it's solely based on how each RB will be utilized. It's also possible MM has looked very good in practice a little more than Shiver...who knows...

27 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Oh so you're that guy.....I don't see why on earth they would do that. That doesn't make any sense at all to me.....but I don't know anything about it

4 hours ago, Sizzle said:

There’s no way y’all believe that’s the depth chart and that’s how the RB’s will enter the game in that exact order. Don’t be that naive 

Well, if you want to be pessimistic...

First down, Whitlow up the middle for 1 yard. 

Second down, Martin on a sweep for negative 2 yards.

Third and Long, Miller in pass pro, and Nix's pass incomplete

First down, Shivers off tackle for minus 2 yards

Second down, Williams up the middle for a yard.

Third and long, Empty set with Joiner spread out wide... Pass incomplete.

For the record, JOKING... I hope.

If I had to guess, Miller jumped shivers because he can do more. Shivers is still learning pass pro and doesn’t have hands as good as Miller’s. Miller really does make a good 3rd down back.

Otherwise, I don’t think the order is that surprising. 

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Oh so you're that guy.....I don't see why on earth they would do that. That doesn't make any sense at all to me.....but I don't know anything about it

Maybe he projects as an OLB in the NFL and this was just something they did to start setting that expectation. 

What seems least likely to me is that they actually added a new position to the defense and have maybe our best player there and *nobody* knew about it until this depth chart came out. Buuuut Auburn so.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Maybe he projects as an OLB in the NFL and this was just something they did to start setting that expectation. 

What seems least likely to me is that they actually added a new position to the defense and have maybe our best player there and *nobody* knew about it until this depth chart came out. Buuuut Auburn so.

You sort of hit on my greatest concern is he going to develop at all this year at his future and I think I may have already said this but he shouldn't have to feel like it's up to him to save everybody on defense. Hope he isn't overused

1 minute ago, Cardin Drake said:

It's just our new innovative 5-2 defensive alignment.  Pass rush gonna be brutal.

Honestly, given the size and skill set, it will look kind of like a 3-4.

I think it’s CKS making his first chess ♟ move before the game even starts! Gives the defensive coach something else to think about.

33 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's not just me. It was mentioned in a podcast by one of the beat writers. Also CGM kinda said that in his presser. 

32 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You sort of hit on my greatest concern is he going to develop at all this year at his future and I think I may have already said this but he shouldn't have to feel like it's up to him to save everybody on defense. Hope he isn't overused

Ok, now I think I understand better. Kind of like Austin Golson? Should've been allowed to fully develop at tackle but kept having to fill in at every spot on the line.

16 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

It's not just me. It was mentioned in a podcast by one of the beat writers. Also CGM kinda said that in his presser. 

Did they say anything about him actually practicing there or just that the position was "created"? (Scare quotes mine)

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ok, now I think I understand better. Kind of like Austin Golson? Should've been allowed to fully develop at tackle but kept having to fill in at every spot on the line.

Yes being pretty good at a few spots but great at none. I could see him playing a little linebacker but d tackle.....Idk

26 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Also, I'm not challenging anything you've said or your understanding of anything you've heard. I just don't always believe the information that is publicly disseminated.

Hopefully Oregon will go crazy trying to figure out where Coe is on every play. This could be similar, but obviously not exactly the same, as the way the Giants moved Lawrence Taylor around. LT was more fast twitch of course, while Coe is bigger with a larger wingspan, so it will be interesting to see how Steele does this. 

2 hours ago, The Freak said:

Hey, do you remember the time when Gus started Roc, then brought in Jovon for two plays (8 yard avg), then let Barber get the most of the carries?

Yeah, that was awesome.

source.gif

Which game was that?  If Louisville I’m pretty sure Jovon sprained his ankle after that 2nd carry and didn’t come back till mid season and then either got hurt or the doghouse.  I don’t remember much of 2015 🍻🥃🍻🥴

2 hours ago, The Freak said:

Yeah, that was awesome.

source.gif

I know he had some personal/security issues with the former two, but I can’t understand throwing away an entire season of two elite backs due to spite (unless Jovon was fighting the coaches or something). Roc fumbled in one big game and was hardly seen again 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Also, I'm not challenging anything you've said or your understanding of anything you've heard. I just don't always believe the information that is publicly disseminated.

I get it man. I don't believe 90% of what is put out...that is part of why I actually believe this about Coe. When I saw the depth chart my first thought was they just wanted Coe listed as a starter to give him his due, or this is pure gamesmanship. I will see if I can find a link to where I saw/heard this as well.

about 2:30 in ....I took that is Nick is versatile and flexible, he can play inside, he can play outside..."He's a Starter!"

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Number 1 concern on Defense...Nick Coe backup at half the Defense....he can only sub in for 1 guy at a time...scary

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

What are you talking about? You're trying to debate something that's not there. If you go out on the field you can be exploited. Period

I'm not debating anything. You said you were confused so I was offering you an explanation. It's just a depth chart. I'm pretty confident Steele understands that other teams can exploit his players, on the field. 👌

Archived