Auburn's Week 1 Depth Chart

RunInRed

26 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Gus is truly evolving right in front of our eyes. Went from 6 QBs to 6 RBs

6 RBs I'm fine with. They all work a little differently. It could be a nightmare for Oregon to defend that many different running styles. I'm just happy it isn't 6 QBs!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meet Auburn’s 6-foot-5, 291-pound starting outside linebacker

Today 1:00 PM

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Nick Coe is many things.

He’s a former high school champion wrestler at the state and national levels. He’s an accomplished pass-rusher the last two seasons at Auburn, and he’s a likely early-round pick in next year’s NFL Draft.

At 6-foot-5 and 291 pounds, he’s also Auburn’s newest starting outside linebacker.

“Nick's a freak, man,” safety Jeremiah Dinson said. “He can do it all, to be honest with you. He can do it all.”

Coe has repped all across Auburn’s defensive line this offseason, lining up at Buck, defensive end and both defensive tackle spots. On Tuesday, when Auburn unveiled its season-opening two-deep depth chart for the Oregon game, Coe was listed as the Tigers’ starter at a newly designated outside linebacker spot while also being on the No. 2 line at both defensive tackle spots and defensive end.

It was a surprising and somewhat unusual reveal. In prior years, Auburn has listed three linebackers — the Sam, Mike and Will spots — on its defensive depth chart, even though the team under defensive coordinator Kevin Steele plays the majority of its snaps in a nickel package with just two linebackers. This time around, Auburn simply had two traditional linebacker spots listed, as well as the new “outside linebacker” role occupied by Coe, with junior linebacker Chandler Wooten listed on the second-team line below him.

“Nick is going to move around,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. “Nick is a starter. With different personnel groupings they give us, he’ll move around. He gives us a lot of flexibility. He can play outside, he can play inside, he can play off the ball. He’s a very versatile player that gives our defense a lot of flexibility.”

Coe has never lined up at linebacker in a game during his Auburn career. He has played all along the defensive line, primarily at the Buck edge-rushing position. Over the last two years, he has totaled 56 tackles, including 18 for a loss and nine sacks. He has also added nine hurries, two forced fumbles and a pass breakup.

The redshirt junior has also never been seen lined up at linebacker during any of the portions of Auburn’s spring and fall practices that have been open to the media. The belief heading into game week was that, if anything, Coe would see more time on the interior of Auburn’s defensive line to improve the Tigers’ depth at defensive tackle alongside Derrick Brown considering Daquan Newkirk is still recovering from a spring Achilles injury and Coynis Miller was limited throughout fall due to a shoulder injury.

Coe is playing everywhere along Auburn's defensive line, and he doesn't mind it at all

Nick Coe's versatility could be the key to locking the full potential of Auburn's defensive line this season.

Instead, Coe was listed as a backup to Brown at defensive tackle, behind Tyrone Truesdell at the other defensive tackle spot and behind Marlon Davidson at defensive end. His name, surprisingly, did not appear on the two-deep at Buck — the position he has spent the most time at the last two seasons — where juniors T.D. Moultry and Big Kat Bryant were listed as co-starters.

In all, Coe’s name appears on Auburn’s two-deep depth chart more times (four) than any other player’s. There’s a reason for that, to be sure.

"He's very important,” Malzahn said. “He had a very good year last year…. So, he gives you a lot of flexibility. I think that's a very good thing moving forward, not just for this game but the whole season."

As for why Coe’s primary position is this obscure “outside linebacker” spot, and what it could mean for his role when No. 16 Auburn opens the season on Saturday against No. 11 Oregon (6:30 p.m., ABC) in Arlington, Texas, Malzahn was coy. As usual, Auburn’s seventh-year head coach is playing things close to the chest and didn’t want to tip his hand.

“After the game, it may make more sense,” Malzahn said. “Hey, you know, you got to wait. Coaches, usually after the first game are a lot more willing to talk about different things and plans and everything that goes with that."

He did mention that where Coe lines up will be dependent on each team’s personnel groupings. That means, yes, Coe could feasibly line up at defensive tackle and outside linebacker in the same game. All 291 pounds of him.

"It's kind of rare,” Malzahn said. “It's kind of rare, but I think it's a good rare."

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

2 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I wanna see all 6 running backs on the field at the same time. Split em out wide and run a hextuple reverse. Oregon would have to forfeit after all their defenders head's exploded. 

Malik at H, Joiner in the slot, Boobee under center, KMart and DJ out wide, Worm at RB...

Why hasn't anyone suggested this before?!?!?!

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

Nick Coe is many things.

He’s a former high school champion wrestler at the state and national levels. He’s an accomplished pass-rusher the last two seasons at Auburn, and he’s a likely early-round pick in next year’s NFL Draft.

At 6-foot-5 and 291 pounds, he’s also Auburn’s newest starting outside linebacker.

“Nick's a freak, man,” safety Jeremiah Dinson said. “He can do it all, to be honest with you. He can do it all.”

Coe has repped all across Auburn’s defensive line this offseason, lining up at Buck, defensive end and both defensive tackle spots. On Tuesday, when Auburn unveiled its season-opening two-deep depth chart for the Oregon game, Coe was listed as the Tigers’ starter at a newly designated outside linebacker spot while also being on the No. 2 line at both defensive tackle spots and defensive end.

It was a surprising and somewhat unusual reveal. In prior years, Auburn has listed three linebackers — the Sam, Mike and Will spots — on its defensive depth chart, even though the team under defensive coordinator Kevin Steele plays the majority of its snaps in a nickel package with just two linebackers. This time around, Auburn simply had two traditional linebacker spots listed, as well as the new “outside linebacker” role occupied by Coe, with junior linebacker Chandler Wooten listed on the second-team line below him.

“Nick is going to move around,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. “Nick is a starter. With different personnel groupings they give us, he’ll move around. He gives us a lot of flexibility. He can play outside, he can play inside, he can play off the ball. He’s a very versatile player that gives our defense a lot of flexibility.”

Coe has never lined up at linebacker in a game during his Auburn career. He has played all along the defensive line, primarily at the Buck edge-rushing position. Over the last two years, he has totaled 56 tackles, including 18 for a loss and nine sacks. He has also added nine hurries, two forced fumbles and a pass breakup.

The redshirt junior has also never been seen lined up at linebacker during any of the portions of Auburn’s spring and fall practices that have been open to the media. The belief heading into game week was that, if anything, Coe would see more time on the interior of Auburn’s defensive line to improve the Tigers’ depth at defensive tackle alongside Derrick Brown considering Daquan Newkirk is still recovering from a spring Achilles injury and Coynis Miller was limited throughout fall due to a shoulder injury.

Coe is playing everywhere along Auburn's defensive line, and he doesn't mind it at all

Nick Coe's versatility could be the key to locking the full potential of Auburn's defensive line this season.

Instead, Coe was listed as a backup to Brown at defensive tackle, behind Tyrone Truesdell at the other defensive tackle spot and behind Marlon Davidson at defensive end. His name, surprisingly, did not appear on the two-deep at Buck — the position he has spent the most time at the last two seasons — where juniors T.D. Moultry and Big Kat Bryant were listed as co-starters.

In all, Coe’s name appears on Auburn’s two-deep depth chart more times (four) than any other player’s. There’s a reason for that, to be sure.

"He's very important,” Malzahn said. “He had a very good year last year…. So, he gives you a lot of flexibility. I think that's a very good thing moving forward, not just for this game but the whole season."

As for why Coe’s primary position is this obscure “outside linebacker” spot, and what it could mean for his role when No. 16 Auburn opens the season on Saturday against No. 11 Oregon (6:30 p.m., ABC) in Arlington, Texas, Malzahn was coy. As usual, Auburn’s seventh-year head coach is playing things close to the chest and didn’t want to tip his hand.

“After the game, it may make more sense,” Malzahn said. “Hey, you know, you got to wait. Coaches, usually after the first game are a lot more willing to talk about different things and plans and everything that goes with that."

He did mention that where Coe lines up will be dependent on each team’s personnel groupings. That means, yes, Coe could feasibly line up at defensive tackle and outside linebacker in the same game. All 291 pounds of him.

"It's kind of rare,” Malzahn said. “It's kind of rare, but I think it's a good rare."

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

My Crush is going to crush it this year!

I've lauded his abilities on this board since he was a recruit in Asheboro. I want nothing more than to see all of the talent, hard work, patience, loyalty, and passion to pay off for AU, and for my dude, PICKLE!

Also, am I the only one who thinks this is one of, if not the most, intriguing things to come out since the bowl game? If "New" Gus is smart enough to put all of his most talented players on the field at the same time, and getting creative to make for new ways to accomplish it (or even for Gus to at least allowing the idea from Steele, Coach G, or T-Will), maybe we do have a chance at more consistency, and a chance to truly exceed even our own lofty expectations. I'm for one cautiously open-minded, though, I am still not admittedly "optimistic".

Missouri, Gus. 

WDE!

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Malik at H, Joiner in the slot, Boobee under center, KMart and DJ out wide, Worm at RB...

I just like this gif...

giphy.gif

Good article but I really consider Buck to be more DE than LB.

War Eagle Coe!

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

DJ? Not to my kuh-nowledge. You might be thinking about MAR. 

Actually, I thought both of them were.... guess I need to some digging. :dunno:

EDIT:  I just made up with Google so I found the info.  DJ WAS injured through much of camp but I see he was cleared to play.

tenor (1).gif

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

DJ? Not to my kuh-nowledge. You might be thinking about MAR. 

He was earlier in camp. Went back to contact around the 10th of Aug IIRC

DJ that is.

46 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Or if things get real bad they can play O-line

All memeing aside - what's the reasoning behind listing six starters at running back? 

4 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

All memeing aside - what's the reasoning behind listing six starters at running back? 

My guess it's a response to his detractors about running one back into the ground. 

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Nick Coe is many things.

45 minutes ago, EclecticTiger said:

My Crush is going to crush it this year!

I've lauded his abilities on this board since he was a recruit in Asheboro. I want nothing more than to see all of the talent, hard work, patience, loyalty, and passion to pay off for AU, and for my dude, PICKLE!

Also, am I the only one who thinks this is one of, if not the most, intriguing things to come out since the bowl game? If "New" Gus is smart enough to put all of his most talented players on the field at the same time, and getting creative to make for new ways to accomplish it (or even for Gus to at least allowing the idea from Steele, Coach G, or T-Will), maybe we do have a chance at more consistency, and a chance to truly exceed even our own lofty expectations. I'm for one cautiously open-minded, though, I am still not admittedly "optimistic".

Missouri, Gus. 

WDE!

39 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Good article but I really consider Buck to be more DE than LB.

War Eagle Coe!

He's not at Buck, he's at a newly-formed OLB position. 

20 minutes ago, api1957 said:

Or if things get real bad they can play O-line

No, that's Kodi's wide-receivers...

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Coach's conference room probably sounds like a bunch of seals...OR OR OR OR OR

Jeff-Bridges-Spits-Out-Drink.gif

21 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Coach's conference room probably sounds like a bunch of seals...OR OR OR OR OR

I get what you did there. Bravo!

I hope he becomes Herbert's worst nightmare all game long Saturday night. Gotta stay healthy in that we cannot afford too many injuries across the DL and pretty much all positions.

41 minutes ago, api1957 said:

My guess it's a response to his detractors about running one back into the ground. 

EXACTLY!  Gus being a smartass & listing them all to start.  

I Like it GUS!  :cheers:

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

In prior years, Auburn has listed three linebackers — the Sam, Mike and Will spots — on its defensive depth chart, even though the team under defensive coordinator Kevin Steele plays the majority of its snaps in a nickel package with just two linebackers.

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, EclecticTiger said:

He's not at Buck, he's at a newly-formed OLB position. 

So basically he's playing what we used to call a Rover? If they are playing him in various positions at various times. 

47 minutes ago, gr82be said:

So basically he's playing what we used to call a Rover? If they are playing him in various positions at various times. 

I like the idea of him being able to move into different positions, disguising, with the flexibility of others like OP, Smoke, Javaris, and Zakoby, to disguise and be able to help us bring pressure in new ways. New Gus? It's not Tuberville trying to talk Philip Rivers into playing TE...

Archived