Let's get one thing clear, it's not Bo's fault

dyehardfanAU

1 hour ago, dyehardfanAU said:

We weren't winning the SEC this season either way.  Our offense is a $%^# show thanks to the piss poor evaluation, recruitment, and development under this mickey mouse offensive coaching staff.  Name one coach on our offensive coaching staff that could get a job working for Saban or Smart.

Wrong. Bama, LSU, and UGA are beatable this year. Bama has defensive issues. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

I’m still a little salty today, but watching the replays of DB running brings a smile to my face.

Every. Single. Time. 

19 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Sigh.  Maybe try re-reading the OP.

Sorry. I keep forgetting most posts here are based on an alternate universe.

I have sorta got used to going 8-5 (winning our non conference games and half of our conference games). I think we are right on pace to achieve that goal. Whether we have the ingredients to put together an upper tier program is up to the HC. I think CGM is in his 7th year? As usual I am cautiously optimistic, largely ignoring the first half of the season and awaiting the second half for the implosion or surprise. Bo and other players are just a part of our program doing all they can.  

12 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Sorry. I keep forgetting most posts here are based on an alternate universe.

Yes, an alternative universe where a head coach does what they're paid $7M a year to do.  I know some people think that it's too much to ask for but I don't find myself being one of those people.

2 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

He should be sitting the bench getting his redshirt on.  It's Gus' poor evaluation, recruiting, and development of QBs over the last 5 years that are forcing him into this bad situation.  He doesn't have the pieces around him that a Tua or a Lawrence or a Fromm have due to poor evaluation, recruiting and development of OL, RB, and WRs.  Gus is an awful Head Coach and that extends far beyond the X's and O's of gameday.

Been great had Bo been a year older or Stidham a year younger. Real world and feel sure we learned a lot yesterday. Ugly game by both teams.  We win if it if played in JHS. 

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

Been great had Bo been a year older or Stidham a year younger. Real world and feel sure we learned a lot yesterday. Ugly game by both teams.  We win if it if played in JHS. 

I guess those who weren't paying attention learned something.  Those who had been paying attention to the last 4-5 years of recruiting could've told you well before yesterday though.

47 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I'm not following your question.  Where did I say anything about Gatewood?  We should have upperclass QB(s) ready to go in our HC's 7th season.

I suspect in this day of the transfer portal people might as well get use to not having ready upper-class QB's that people would want on the field.

Not saying that is what happened to Gus. Think it will be a future dilemma for all teams though. Even Lincoln Riley has passed on QB's in his system to go get them from others. Mayfield, Moore, Hurts.

3 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I guess those who weren't paying attention learned something.  Those who had been paying attention to the last 4-5 years of recruiting could've told you well before yesterday though.

I find recruiting very boring but I believe you if you think we do not have the players.

2 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I never said he was horrible, I said he was past his prime.  Which he is.  

If he was past his prime in recruiting he wouldn’t have AU leading for 2 five star DLs in the 2021 class. There will be a day when this opinion is correct but facts go against this opinion right now so Please stop pushing this idiotic opinion.

Bo didn’t miss the tackles on the TD slant route or the long run to seal the game . Bo didn’t botch a punt return . This is a team loss. On to the bye week 

This is probably an unpopular opinion but I think the only thing keeping this team from the playoffs is the Oline.  I’m not sure how you can complain about WRs.  Stove, Seth, Schwartz, and Hastings have all proved reliable when he ball is catchable.  Even Sal makes a play every now and then.  TE/FB,HB hybrid is probably the best they’ve been since Gus got here with Sheneker, JayJay, and Nigh.  I guess Joiner falls here too.  All the RBs are capable when they have a hole to run through.  Nix obviously isn’t great under pressure but like Stidham last year he’s starting to lose trust in the line and getting happy feat.  If Gus can maintain decent Oline recruiting the way this class and the last panned out I think we could finally see the offense “fixed”.  The only question is will Gus last that long?

34 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If he was past his prime in recruiting he wouldn’t have AU leading for 2 five star DLs in the 2021 class. There will be a day when this opinion is correct but facts go against this opinion right now so Please stop pushing this idiotic opinion.

Glad to hear we have an abundance of DEs on the roster just waiting to get their turn.

1 hour ago, tbone4jc said:

"Message to all these “Auburn fans” calling for coach firing/QB benching and so on...

Bryant Denny has lots of stadium seats open up pretty early in their games...please go fill them, your attitude/mindset will fit in better there."

-anonymous Twitter post

You do realize that one can support the program and players without blindly pledging allegiance to a mediocre coach, yes?

1 hour ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I suspect in this day of the transfer portal people might as well get use to not having ready upper-class QB's that people would want on the field.

Dadgum Woody and Tyler transferring.;D

15 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Dadgum Woody and Tyler transferring.;D

I was kinda referring to things like this for the future of college football lol:

Last spring, the Buckeyes touted four quarterbacks recruited and developed in-house: Matthew Baldwin, Joe Burrow, Dwayne Haskins and Tate Martell. All have since left the program.

Haskins put in a one-and-done year as the starter, parlaying his breakout campaign into a first-round slot in the recent NFL draft. Burrow transferred to LSU last May, quickly becoming the Tigers' starter. Martell left this offseason for Miami (Fla.) and entered the fray for the Hurricanes' starting job. This month, Baldwin announced he would be transferring to TCU.

As the Buckeyes prepare for summer conditioning and fall camp, the team's list of on-scholarship quarterbacks now looks like this: Justin Fields, an impressive transfer from Georgia granted immediate eligibility; Gunnar Hoak, a little-used graduate transfer from Kentucky who arrived in April with two more years of eligibility; and Chris Chugunov, who transferred in from West Virginia last August.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2019/05/21/college-football-quarterback-transfer-surge-causing-coaches-adjust/1141765001/

3 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I was kinda referring to things like this for the future of college football lol:

I know. Just pointing out Gus' recruits from the past. I'd love to see Kelly Bryant in Gus' offense. But, transfers are probably gonna pick the place they have the best chance of improving for the NFL.

I do wonder how different this team would look with a RS Senior Tyler Queen throwing to Nate Craig-Myers and Kyle Davis.

I do agree O-Line is our biggest detriment to the offense. And I know conventional wisdom says that experience and cohesion make for a good O-Line, but I've also seen LSU start 3 freshmen against us in 2017 and lead them to 24 unanswered points and a win.

Prior to yesterday, I had actually thought our O-Line was improving this year and looking better this season. But they looked bad yesterday. Vs Tennessee bad. I watched Defensive Ends flying untouched, not even looked at. To me that seems more mental than physical. And in a no huddle system, I don't understand how you have THAT much confusion at the line... So of course that snowballs, now your True Freshman QB is running for his life and if your lucky downing the ball to avoid the loss in yardage.

But yesterday was a complete offensive collapse. Play calling was suspect at times but often times I saw what was supposed to happen and yet the players didn't execute. Missed blocking assignments, overthrown/underthrown passes, hitting the wrong hole, dropping passes, etc... You can have the perfect play drawn up, but that's only half of the battle.

But if our Offensive Line could get even 10% better, that could be the difference of say: an extra half second in the pocket for Bo, an extra couple yards on the run... Even for as bad as we looked yesterday it felt like success was just dangling right out of reach. That's why I think it's the key to unlocking the teams potential.

Lastly, I think we underestimated Florida (and Ben-Griffen Stadium). I think Dan Mullen is an asshat but he spent 2-weeks prepping for this game and obviously did his homework, and when the ball bounced their way, they capitalized on it. We sorely need to learn how to stop letting these 5-10 yard passes keep slashing our defense. It has been our Achilles' Heel since before I can remember. I do believe we can move forward from this, but I nor anyone on this forum truly know if we will or not.

I know Gus has pissed in many a posters' Cheerios and that has caused them to completely write off him and his staff. I remain agnostic. I've seen turnarounds engineered, I've seen stall outs. But let's accept that this one loss was not on Gus, was not on Bo, was not on the OL, or the Defense or Special Teams... It was on everybody.

So let's put this one behind and support Auburn moving forward.

9 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

I do wonder how different this team would look with a RS Senior Tyler Queen throwing to Nate Craig-Myers and Kyle Davis.

I agree with the rest of your post - but this? This would be non-existent. lol But primarily because Tyler Queen could never get healthy. NCM isn't doing much at CSU and KD failed to even play at FAU (possibly for the reasons he got booted from AU) and decided to jump to the CFL.

I think the only receiver I wish we could've held on to was Duke Williams (who just got his first NFL TD yesterday). He took the long road to the NFL but it looks like it's finally paying off.

If Bo isn't responsible at least in part for the loss against Florida,  he shouldn't be getting credit for the wins against A&M and Oregon either.

4 hours ago, Linayus said:

I agree with the rest of your post - but this? This would be non-existent. lol But primarily because Tyler Queen could never get healthy. NCM isn't doing much at CSU and KD failed to even play at FAU (possibly for the reasons he got booted from AU) and decided to jump to the CFL.

I think the only receiver I wish we could've held on to was Duke Williams (who just got his first NFL TD yesterday). He took the long road to the NFL but it looks like it's finally paying off.

I believe TQ is now a TE. He is a bit bigger now too.

http://www.uwgsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=211654846&DB_OEM_ID=24310&Q_SEASON=2019

4 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

If Bo isn't responsible at least in part for the loss against Florida,  he shouldn't be getting credit for the wins against A&M and Oregon either.

Ok. Now what? You feel netter?

5 hours ago, Linayus said:

Experience was really the point I was trying to point out. You're right injuries and attitudes play just as much a role in the caliber of team as development and playcalling.

Would that have been the difference between winning and losing to Florida? Hard to say... probably doubtful. But I hate that people want to take this game as confirmation of their biases when the truth is much more nuanced.

22 hours ago, jptiger said:

What if he has more problems with accuracy than Nix? Have to throw it at some point. When matched against a defense that is comparable with ours running it every play isn’t an option. 

I don’t know but what we have seen he doesn’t . At this point Joey is 4 for 5 with 1 TD and 0 interceptions. 22 carries for 122 yards . I don’t about you but I think Joey has done well when he is in. I think Gus owes him a shot when things are going bad with Bo or just a shot when we played some team like Kent St. in case you don’t know, we are only one hit on Bo away from Joey being the guy. So if Gus ain’t ok with Joey by now he is in big trouble. 

Archived