Malzahn on Ole Miss win

aubiefifty

What Gus Malzahn said about Auburn’s 20-14 win against Ole Miss

Updated 9:45 PM;Today 9:37 PM

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Auburn held on to beat Ole Miss, 20-14, on Saturday. Gus Malzahn is here to review the game.

AL.com will provide live updates of Malzahn’s remarks below:

GUS MALZAHN

-- Extremely proud of the team. Hard-fought victory.

-- Offensively got off to a slow start but had opportunities they failed to seize.

-- First two drives of second half were the key to the game.

-- Auburn limited Ole Miss to 3-of-15 on third down and just two plays of 20-plus yards.

-- Said there was no hesitation in kicking the field goal late to try to seal the game.

-- Anders Carlson’s three misses were uncharacteristic, but Malzahn still has confidence in him. Says having a new long snapper could have played into it.

-- Nick Brahms was very consistent with snaps in practice, did a “solid job” tonight.

-- 500 yards and 20 points don’t add up.

-- Malzahn felt like there were more opportunities to throw the ball early on.

-- D.J. Williams had some good, hard runs. Proud of the way he performed again.

-- Bo Nix-to-Seth Williams connection was off this week. Malzahn said they’ll have to clean it up.

-- It was a concerted effort in the second half to not run as much tempo as in first half.

-- Bo Nix “did some good things” tonight while having a career-high 340 yards through the air.

-- How do you assess 500 yards vs. 20 points? “We won. I think that’s how you assess it.... We got to clean some things up.”

-- On Derick Hall: He’s been real consistent. Doing a better job every week.

-- Special teams was disappointing, with the three missed field goals and a big punt return allowed at the end of the first half. “We got to do a better job of that. That was real unusual, because we’ve been doing a super job.”

-- Hopes Marlon Davidson is OK for the Georgia game. Same with Dinson.

-- Gus Malzahn declines to answer a question about whether he regrets how he handled Joey Gatewood’s playing time. “He’s not with us. We wish him nothing but the best.”

AL.com will update this post.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

Says having a new long snapper could have played into it.

Mrs. Finkle: It was all that Dan Marino's fault, everyone knows that. If he had held the ball, laces out, like he was supposed to, Ray would never have missed that kick.

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

What Gus Malzahn said about Auburn’s 20-14 win against Ole Miss

Updated 9:45 PM;Today 9:37 PM

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Auburn held on to beat Ole Miss, 20-14, on Saturday. Gus Malzahn is here to review the game.

AL.com will provide live updates of Malzahn’s remarks below:

GUS MALZAHN

-- Extremely proud of the team. Hard-fought victory.

-- Offensively got off to a slow start but had opportunities they failed to seize.

-- First two drives of second half were the key to the game.

-- Auburn limited Ole Miss to 3-of-15 on third down and just two plays of 20-plus yards.

-- Said there was no hesitation in kicking the field goal late to try to seal the game.

-- Anders Carlson’s three misses were uncharacteristic, but Malzahn still has confidence in him. Says having a new long snapper could have played into it.

-- Nick Brahms was very consistent with snaps in practice, did a “solid job” tonight.

-- 500 yards and 20 points don’t add up.

-- Malzahn felt like there were more opportunities to throw the ball early on.

-- D.J. Williams had some good, hard runs. Proud of the way he performed again.

-- Bo Nix-to-Seth Williams connection was off this week. Malzahn said they’ll have to clean it up.

-- It was a concerted effort in the second half to not run as much tempo as in first half.

-- Bo Nix “did some good things” tonight while having a career-high 340 yards through the air.

-- How do you assess 500 yards vs. 20 points? “We won. I think that’s how you assess it.... We got to clean some things up.”

-- On Derick Hall: He’s been real consistent. Doing a better job every week.

-- Special teams was disappointing, with the three missed field goals and a big punt return allowed at the end of the first half. “We got to do a better job of that. That was real unusual, because we’ve been doing a super job.”

-- Hopes Marlon Davidson is OK for the Georgia game. Same with Dinson.

-- Gus Malzahn declines to answer a question about whether he regrets how he handled Joey Gatewood’s playing time. “He’s not with us. We wish him nothing but the best.”

AL.com will update this post.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

what an arrogant prick...

These two comments really bother me.  

Offensively got off to a slow start but had opportunities they failed to seize. 

It was a concerted effort in the second half to not run as much tempo as in first half.

"They" failed to seize?  Play calling and scheme had more to do with not seizing opportunities.

Why?  Up by 13 in the second half does not justify taking the pressure off the defense.  You keep running pace and score more.  

2 minutes ago, around4ever said:

It was a concerted effort in the second half to not run as much tempo as in first half.

"They" failed to seize?  Play calling and scheme had more to do with not seizing opportunities.

Why?  Up by 13 in the second half does not justify taking the pressure off the defense.  You keep running pace and score more.  

I was thinking the SAME exact thing but wasn't sure if it was just me taking it out of context. It seems to me he's blaming his players rather than taking ownership just like he's done year after year with his OC's. Throw everyone under the bus to save yourself.

4 minutes ago, around4ever said:

You mean you should actually try to put the game away as early as possible so you can rest your starters and BUILD DEPTH by letting your 2nd and 3rd teamers actually play??!!!

3 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

I was thinking the SAME exact thing but wasn't sure if it was just me taking it out of context. It seems to me he's blaming his players rather than taking ownership just like he's done year after year with his OC's. Throw everyone under the bus to save yourself.

If that is his intent, it will be difficult to keep the team ready to play for him. 

Just now, PigskinPat said:

You mean you should actually try to put the game away as early as possible so you can rest your starters and BUILD DEPTH by letting your 2nd and 3rd teamers actually play??!!!

Wow! Did you just come up with that concept?  That is a great idea.   Somebody should pass that idea on to Gus.  👍😂😂

20 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

I'd rather listen to my wife snore than listen to that idiot. no, no, I'd rather listen to my wife fart than listen to disGUSting Coach Malware

you are such a romantic

19 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

If that is his intent, it will be difficult to keep the team ready to play for him. 

I don't know if that was his intent but any time a coach says "they" instead of "we/us" or "I" then it leads me to believe that they're trying to pass the blame to someone else. Good coaches, IMO, blame themselves first and look at what he/she can do better rather than saying the team had "opportunities they failed to seize".

1 minute ago, tgrogan21 said:

I don't know if that was his intent but any time a coach says "they" instead of "we/us" or "I" then it leads me to believe that they're trying to pass the blame to someone else. Good coaches, IMO, blame themselves first and look at what he/she can do better rather than saying the team had "opportunities they failed to seize".

Totally with you. I have read too much John Maxwell to think any other way. I hurt for the kids for so many reasons. They are so resilient, but...

I posted this classroom pic on another thread. We try our best to live these "Patriot Promises" as an entire school. Owning it and producing quality work can never start too young. 

20190706_213827.jpg

12 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Totally with you. I have read too much John Maxwell to think any other way. I hurt for the kids for so many reasons. They are so resilient, but...

I posted this classroom pic on another thread. We try our best to live these "Patriot Promises" as an entire school. Owning it and producing quality work can never start too young. 

20190706_213827.jpg

Love your classroom! 

1 minute ago, AubWes33 said:

Love your classroom! 

You're so kind! Thank you so much!  I want it to feel coffeehouse/WorldCafe vibish... 

22 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:
40 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

There's no "I" in Team.  But there is a "T" & "E" in Team so "ThEy" was close enough, right?

Just now, ToraGirl said:

You're so kind! Thank you so much!  I want it to feel coffeehouse/WorldCafe vibish... 

So THAT'S why I smelled Columbian Roast when I saw that pic before!  😁

Just now, AUsince72 said:

There's no "I" in Team.  But there is a "T" & "E" in Team so "ThEy" was close enough, right?

yep-quickmeme-co-mmm-hmm-yep-mans-work-slingblade-meme-53108277.png

7 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

So THAT'S why I smelled Columbian Roast when I saw that pic before!  😁

Yassss! Our home-away-from-home! Some of the bags did have some leftover beans from shipping, actually...

20190725_200152.jpg

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Outta reactions so 🤜🤛💥

Same here, brother! Love to Sonya and your girls! Extra hour of sleep most welcome!!

Archived