Unfair

Carnell

7 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Saben called the substitution play unfair.  Well Nicky boy it maybe unfair but it is a legal play.

What's unfair is trying to play 12 people on defense and he got flagged.

I guess a coaching making millions of dollars a year calling time out to freeze a walk on kicker who attends college to attain an education and plays football for love of the game is good sportsmanship.

Little nicky is the GOAT and a high school coach took him to the woodshed.   

When  I was a kid if AU went 8-2 won a game against a top 10 school and a bowl game it was a good year and could not wait to read

Athlon's the next summer.  College football was fun.

Little doc  

ps enjoy Skip Sunday

5 minutes ago, bdc81 said:

I guess a coaching making millions of dollars a year calling time out to freeze a walk on kicker who attends college to attain an education and plays football for love of the game is good sportsmanship.

Little nicky is the GOAT and a high school coach took him to the woodshed.   

When  I was a kid if AU went 8-2 won a game against a top 10 school and a bowl game it was a good year and could not wait to read

Athlon's the next summer.  College football was fun.

Little doc  

ps enjoy Skip Sunday

Take a break Harvey! The sun still came out today 

Great move by Gus.....and I'm glad our defense was not having to hold them off for another minute plus....we had no answer for those WRs.   As some one else noted too, I was amazed the refs called the violation.....even before the ball was snapped...which was a key factor in making it work.         

In fact I wonder if AU would have ever have snapped the ball if the refs were late in making the call and gave bama time to get the extra player off the field though seems the extra guy was a punt returner and was making no effort to leave.    

29 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Great move by Gus.....and I'm glad our defense was not having to hold them off for another minute plus....we had no answer for those WRs.   As some one else noted too, I was amazed the refs called the violation.....even before the ball was snapped...which was a key factor in making it work.         

In fact I wonder if AU would have ever have snapped the ball if the refs were late in making the call and gave bama time to get the extra player off the field though seems the extra guy was a punt returner and was making no effort to leave.    

Yeah I think we would have snapped it. Bo was going to do a pooch punt but they had 12 on defense and everybody on the offense was pointing it out to the refs before anybody was set 

2 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Yeah I think we would have snapped it. Bo was going to do a pooch punt but they had 12 on defense and everybody on the offense was pointing it out to the refs before anybody was set 

From that point on the field we needed a serious punt to get them out of FG range for sure.   I was thinking worst case ..if bama got set, to take the penalty (don't ;think we had a TO)  and get our regular punter out there.   We will never know:)

According to something my husband read, Sippos was supposed to drop back and punt to an empty backfield. The play was designed to have them bring everyone up when they saw Bo and that would have given Sippos the empty backfield to punt to. But, we didn't need it, because Saban was confused!!! haha

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

From that point on the field we needed a serious punt to get them out of FG range for sure.   I was thinking worst case ..if bama got set, to take the penalty (don't ;think we had a TO)  and get our regular punter out there.   We will never know:)

Sippos was out there. He went in for one of the WR guys. PS: See @3rdgeneration post just above. Explained perfectly.

7 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

According to something my husband read, Sippos was supposed to drop back and punt to an empty backfield. The play was designed to have them bring everyone up when they saw Bo and that would have given Sippos the empty backfield to punt to. But, we didn't need it, because Saban was confused!!! haha

That's exactly right. The point of that play is to bring the returner up so that he A) can't field it and run it back for a TD and b) the ball can't be fair caught, leading to c) more seconds coming off of the game clock as the ball just sorta rattles around back there.

The hilarious part of Saban's rant is that, following the logic, refs should stop after re-alignments on every play. That was no different than any other shift. AU sent everyone on the field and didn't substitute again, there was no reason for the refs to do anything.  After an up and down game, they did that precisely correctly, and kudos to them (that includes not allowing the snap...there had been an earlier call against Auburn for having 12 in formation and they blew it dead.)

Of all the trick plays Gus ever designed, that was the trickiest and best. He's probably had that in his playbook for years and it finally was the perfect time to use it.

14 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

The hilarious part of Saban's rant is that, following the logic, refs should stop after re-alignments on every play. That was no different than any other shift. AU sent everyone on the field and didn't substitute again, there was no reason for the refs to do anything.  After an up and down game, they did that precisely correctly, and kudos to them (that includes not allowing the snap...there had been an earlier call against Auburn for having 12 in formation and they blew it dead.)

Of all the trick plays Gus ever designed, that was the trickiest and best. He's probably had that in his playbook for years and it finally was the perfect time to use it.

Exactly!!

And.... the goal of the play wasn’t to trick them into having 12 on the field.  It was to keep Waddle, who was a stud yesterday if anyone was hiding under a rock, from being able to touch the ball.  It just so happened that they caught them in a bad situation and got the penalty.  The rule states that the defense has the right to sub as many times as the offense does.  They allowed them to do just that.  

21 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

Waffle House napkins have more than one use. 😁

In 2017, Little Nick wanted the refs to place 1 second back on the clock so they could kick a winning FG. However, they missed it and Chris Davis ran it back 109 yards and Auburn won it 34-28. KICK SIX..

8 minutes ago, WarEagle1982 said:

One thing I can say about Gus is that he doesn’t go crying in public about “unfair” rules when he loses.  Saban does it just about every time.

Agreed.  Saban is very indicative of their fanbase.  They never just get beat.  They "beat themselves" or the refs did.  Cry Nick Cry.

As far as Saban complaining about unfairness, you would be better off remembering at the end of every season in which Saban has less than a perfect record he goes into lobbying mode.  He has always jockeyed for the post season best bowl placement, albeit over the past few years it's for the CFP.  It's what he does and he's pretty good at it.  

Here's where I laugh at Saban.  In what world did he think we would actually go for it and thus sub in anything other than the punt return team?  It was 4th and 4 from inside our own 30.  

I equate him to a bad poker player.  He'll kick your ass if he has the cards, but doesn't know how to read situations or call a bluff worth a damn.

3 hours ago, rexbo said:

What's unfair is trying to play 12 people on defense and he got flagged.

I dont know.  I said may but there has been instances in sports where the rules are behind fair play.  For instance in baseball the old hidden ball trick is unfair but was legal, before baseball finally updated the rules to make it a balk.  If it is unfair as Saben claims the NCAA may update the substitution rule.

Gus’ intent was to get Waddle off the field to allow Sippos to punt to an empty field.  Sippos was lined up as a WR on our sideline so the Bama coaches didn’t notice him (excellent, by the way).  The Bama DC assumed we were going for the first down and panicked by subbing the defense, but forgot to communicate that to the Special Teams coach.  

It’s amazing how many decisions can be made in 40 seconds, the same 40 seconds that every coach in America has to make decisions during a game, but if you ASS.ME something that is not true you usually pay the price.  Gus was able to have Saban Gus it up and that is hard to do.

19 minutes ago, Carnell said:

I dont know.  I said may but there has been instances in sports where the rules are behind fair play.  For instance in baseball the old hidden ball trick is unfair but was legal, before baseball finally updated the rules to make it a balk.  If it is unfair as Saben claims the NCAA may update the substitution rule.

Everything they did on that play was within the rules.  They have to allow them to sub as many times as the offense.  Once in this instance.  Kudos to Gus for lining up the punter to his own sideline so that they had to alert them from the box and then they had to try to run their defense back on the field.  Brilliant if you ask me!

Archived