2020 3* Juco DT Marquis Burks Commits To AU!

GwillMac6

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Fair but what about my post prompted you to say that.

The last word is goof , probably meant good, but spellchecker and all!

Edited by toddc

21 minutes ago, toddc said:

The last word is goof , probably meant good, but spellchecker and all!

Yup! Loof pointed it out is his own Loofy way. lol

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yup! Loof pointed it out is his own Loofy way. lol

LOL

• ellitor changed the title to ***2020 3* Juco DT Marquis Burks (Commit Watch: 2/5/20, 1 CT)***
  • ellitor changed the title to 2020 3* Juco DT Marquis Burks Commits To AU!
  • ellitor pinned and featured this topic

Nice! Needs a few more ##. Looking forward to him getting on campus and working with the staff.

I have high hopes for our Dline in the coming years

Edited by Randman5000

Junior college DT picks Auburn

ByKEITH NIEBUHR 23 minutes ago 

Share9 Comments

When Marquis Burks thinks about Auburn, there is one thing that stands out.

“That family feeling,” Burks said.

Now, he’s part of that family.

Burks, a standout at Iowa Central Community College and the No. 4 junior college defensive tackle nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite, publicly committed to the Tigers on Wednesday, National Signing Day. He said he actually signed with Auburn back in December. That same month, the 6-feet-3, 290-pound Burks officially visited the Tigers.

“When I got there, I was automatically comfortable,” Burks said.

A native of Chicago, Burks finished the 2019 season with 39 total tackles, 7 tackles for loss and 5 sacks while often facing double teams. The Tigers offered last fall and have been the favorite ever since.

“They were actually talking to me last summer,” Burks said. “That let me know that I was doing something right.”

During his recruitment, other schools showed interest, namely Texas Tech. Turrell Foster, Iowa Central’s defensive line coach, thinks Auburn is getting a steal.

“I think some schools really missed out,” Foster said. “Auburn, obviously is a very successful program on the defensive line. They evaluated him early. He fits everything they do with having a disruptive defensive line.”

According to Burks, he has great admiration and respect for Auburn defensive line coach Rodney Garner. He’s also impressed with Garner's track record for producing NFL talent.

“I like Coach G a lot, I really do,” Burks said. “He seems like a guy who knows what he’s doing. But with him, it’s bigger than football really. When me and my parents sat down in his office, we weren’t talking about football at all. We were just talking about family and really so much stuff outside of football it made you appreciate what type of man he is."

And, Burks added, "His track record means a lot to me. I really want to get out so I can put on for my family, get my family out of the hood.”

What will Auburn get in Burks?

“A lot of leadership,” he said. “I really want to come in and fill those shoes of Marlon(Davidson) and Derrick (Brown). When I say leadership, I mean letting guys know what’s going on — being an alpha male, really.”

At Auburn, Burks will arrive with a little chip on his shoulder.

9COMMENTS

“ I really do believe I got overlooked by a lot of schools,” he said.

With Burks on board, the 2020 class now has 26 members.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, toddc said:

He said he actually signed with Auburn back in December.

This is beyond weird. I'm thinking that he probably committed to AU in December. There are a lot of complications concerning coaches of opposing teams contacting another team's signee. Did everyone else stop recruiting him? A committed player is fair game, a signee is "hands off".

Just now, Mikey said:

This is beyond weird. I'm thinking that he probably committed to AU in December. There are a lot of complications concerning coaches of opposing teams contacting another team's signee. Did everyone else stop recruiting him? A committed player is fair game, a signee is "hands off".

First thing I noticed too!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Did everyone else stop recruiting him?

Yes. He said they all backed off a while ago & now we know why. He signed early.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yes. He said they all backed off a while ago & now we know why. He signed early.

Then that's two who signed early and didn't make it public. I understand Hardy's purpose but this one doesn't make much sense. Anyway, he's in the fold and that's what matters.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Then that's two who signed early and didn't make it public. I understand Hardy's purpose but this one doesn't make much sense. Anyway, he's in the fold and that's what matters.

I agree. This is so weird that 2 guys had signed in Dec, but AU didn't announce it.

I still don't understand why AU would do that, if its a done deal. That puts those players in uncomfortable positions, if other teams are still trying to contact them...

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Maybe he wanted to do it with the rest of his team too. That's always a good reason if true.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I still don't understand why AU would do that, if its a done deal.

Because the recruits or their families ask them to.

5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

That puts those players in uncomfortable positions, if other teams are still trying to contact them...

It shouldn't. Most staff's are smarter than Tennessee's & know to check the NCAA signee portal to see who signed. Every signee goes into that portal list the day they sign.

25 minutes ago, ellitor said:

😁

Just now, bigbird said:

😁

Ass! You alley-ooped earlier a pass that he signed early but I didn't even jump to try to dunk the easy basket.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I think the 3* rating is a little misleading. This guy can have an immediate impact. He’s a beast 

Most of the Juco's are 3*'s many probably should be 4* but for some reason they seldom are. I am not sure why?

20 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Most of the Juco's are 3*'s many probably should be 4* but for some reason they seldom are. I am not sure why?

Because they have two and sometimes three years to prove themselves where as high school kids have 4 to 5. Since there’s more time for their potential to be developed a high school kids are ranked higher.

Thank you for that explanation.

So, you are saying they are starred higher because of overall potential rather than current position ability at the time they are signed?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Crouching Tiger said:

Thank you for that explanation.

So, you are saying they are starred higher because of overall potential rather than current position ability at the time they are signed?

In some ways yes.