reflecting on the iron Bowl

shabby

He probably deserves his own thread, but even without the 100 yard pik-six, Zakoby McClain played one helluva game. He led all tacklers with 6 solos and five assists, plus several of those tackles came on critical plays. A big War Eagle to Zakoby!

50 minutes ago, DAG said:

This needs to start becoming in the rear view for us. It must be really our Super Bowl.

Sadly, it is this year.  Hopefully, not every year going forward.  Still, given the success Bama has had the last 10 years and the fact that they are our arch-rival, beating them will always be a big deal.  And, despite what some of them may say, them beating us is a big deal to most of them too.

8 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Sadly, it is this year.  Hopefully, not every year going forward.  Still, given the success Bama has had the last 10 years and the fact that they are our arch-rival, beating them will always be a big deal.  And, despite what some of them may say, them beating us is a big deal to most of them too.

It's much bigger to them than they let on, even in '17 they won it all but didn't beat Auburn. People can what they want but it didn't sit well with them that we were their only loss and it wasn't that close. 

17 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I hate to admit this, but I actually thought Gary Danielson was somewhat neutral, didn’t gush over and defend Bama all game, and called a decent game.

Funny, but all the Bammers I know hate Gary.  They say he always mentions Auburn or Gus when broadcasting one of their games even we we aren't playing.😃

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Noted in watching the replay was Boobies great effort on the 3rd down play prior to the "unfair" call. If he is not fighting like hell for every yard or inch we are not in a fourth and four situation and a five yard call giving us the first down.

To add to this; if Boobee went down earlier, when he had the first down, there would not be a reason to stop the clock to see if there was a second left in the half.  If he had gone down with 5 seconds or so left, the refs mark the ball and the time runs out in the half, no FG.  Truly a remarkable game.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

This needs to start becoming in the rear view for us. It must be really our Super Bowl.

Living in bammerham I can guarantee it is never in the rear view for them if they beat us! I am going to enjoy this all year!

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Are you saying we need to put the bammer beat down in the rear view?

I am saying we need to stop acting like it’s our Super Bowl. I think that’s why we can never move forward. In one breathe when we critique our coach and program,people say we can’t be like Bama and that’s why fans our so fickle . The next when our team shows they can stand toe to toe with them, this will be all we will talk about until next year including if we lose to Minnesota in the bowl game. I like beating Bama but I don’t want that to make or break our year. We have too much talent to just be satisfied with that. 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am saying we need to stop acting like it’s our Super Bowl. I think that’s why we can never move forward. In one breathe when we critique our coach and program,people say we can’t be like Bama and that’s why fans our so fickle . The next when our team shows they can stand toe to toe with them, this will be all we will talk about until next year including if we lose to Minnesota in the bowl game. I like beating Bama but I don’t want that to make or break our year. We have too much talent to just be satisfied with that. 

Get what you are trying to say but no intention of putting it in the rear-view. I intend on enjoying it for quite some time. Probably watch the replay again on 4th of July. 

15 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Get what you are trying to say but no intention of putting it in the rear-view. I intend on enjoying it for quite some time. Probably watch the replay again on 4th of July. 

Well you absolutely can do that.

There are almost too many plays where individual players played above their heads and made plays that constantly moved the game more in Auburn's favor.  I guess that I will have to say the 4th down play with a little over a minute remaining where Gus sent in the punter to line up at a receiver spot and put Nix behind center.  The confusion on the Alabama bench and the eventual Substitution penalty are what sealed the game for us.  I have always believed that Saban is not a great game-day coach and this play proves that theory.  My friends and I have tried to come up with a reasonable explanation of why that is true and we have been able to only come up with one thing that may contribute to Saban's lack of presence on the sideline.   We all know that Saban hires all sorts of out of work coaches to be "consultants".  Steve Sarkisian, the OC, started out as a consultant and moved into the OC role when Lane Kiffin fell out of favor three years ago before the playoff game.  (The NCAA ought to look into the consultant thing because I don't believe it was ever intended that a program could hire so many experts above and beyond the coaching staff to help a program be successful.)  Anyway our theory is that Saban relies so much on these consultants to game plan during the year for each game that he and the coaching staff somewhat lose touch with their game plan.  If a team, like Auburn, comes in and is able to keep the game close in the 4th quarter and then does something out of character or unusual, Saban is slow to react or may not react properly at all.  Take 2013 when Saban put the field goal team on the field.  Auburn called time out and put our return team in with Davis to field the missed field goal.  The big uglies who block for field goals had little chance of tackling Davis on his runback. Why didn't Saban notice that, call time out and change up his personnel to what Auburn was planning.  Same thing in 2019 when Gus put the punter in the game.  There was chaos on the Bama sideline because that was something none of the coaches had considered.  Gus has this figured out and I am convinced that is why he is the most successful SEC coach against Saban.  Whatever it is, I am glad it is. 

JWShewmake 

54 minutes ago, JWShewmake said:

Saban hires all sorts of out of work coaches to be "consultants". 

Rest assured that he got rid of one or two "consultants" within a matter of hours if not minutes  after that game.  

5 hours ago, wde21 said:

Living in bammerham I can guarantee it is never in the rear view for them if they beat us! I am going to enjoy this all year!

Leap year in 2020. One extra day to rub it in!!

On 12/15/2019 at 12:43 PM, Piketiger1990 said:

I still keep coming back to the first and goal pick six. It was a great play by McClain but I can’t believe Alabama made that call. Najee Harris was eating our lunch in the first half. How do you not give the ball to him at least two runs in a row? Surprised Saban hasn’t taken more heat for that. 

I agree.  It was a baffling (stupid?) call. 

Anyway, Thank you Saban!

(Can you just imagine the heat Gus would have gotten for such a call?) :o

On 12/16/2019 at 1:39 PM, DAG said:

I suspect you aren't that old. ;) 

Some of us have a history in this rivalry that goes back 60 years.

I certainly want to do more than beating Bama, but it will always the first goal every year in my mind.  (Winning the SEC is second.)

And if the turds want to take pride in my attitude, that's fine with me.  They earned it.

23 hours ago, JWShewmake said:

There was chaos on the Bama sideline because that was something none of the coaches had considered.  Gus has this figured out and I am convinced that is why he is the most successful SEC coach against Saban.  Whatever it is, I am glad it is. 

JWShewmake 

Jordan-Hare Old Black Magic ;D

Archived