Your 1st Auburn game attended...

Swamp Eagle

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Fast Freddie Smith in the late 70s played LB and RB for a spell..

He was the best RB in Auburn's history...and never played RB thank's to Doug Malzhan...I mean Barfield.  He was, however, probably the best LB we ever fielded.  I think he still holds the record for tackles in a career, season and game (held up since '79).  

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My oldest brothers Freshman year at Auburn; 1966.  Auburn vs Tenn in Birmingham.  I loved being at the game ... a stadium dog and a coke ... yelling War Eagle ... all the sites and sounds ... first time in the "big city" of Birmingham (more people in Legion Field that day than in Jackson county -- where I grew up ---  growing up; maybe still).   With the family...had to wear a suit...man, times have changed.  

We got drilled.  Rode the bus from the Tutwiller (the old Tutwiller) to the game and back.  Drunk Tenn fans were blowing big orange horns on the bus back to the hotel after the game and screaming everthing imaginable.   It was the start of a lifelong Tenn hatred.   

1966-Auburn-Tigers-vs-Tennessee-Vols-Football-Program thumbnail 1

1978. Watched us lose to Miami 17-15, dude named Otis Anderson broke a long run late in the 4th to set up their winning field goal. Seems like he ended up being pretty good for the NYG after he got done at Miami 🤔

10 minutes ago, japantiger said:

My oldest brothers Freshman year at Auburn; 1966.  Auburn vs Tenn in Birmingham.  I loved being at the game ... a stadium dog and a coke ... yelling War Eagle ... all the sites and sounds ... first time in the "big city" of Birmingham (more people in Legion Field that day than in Jackson county -- where I grew up ---  growing up; maybe still).   With the family...had to wear a suit...man, times have changed.  

We got drilled.  Rode the bus from the Tutwiller (the old Tutwiller) to the game and back.  Drunk Tenn fans were blowing big orange horns on the bus back to the hotel after the game and screaming everthing imaginable.   It was the start of a lifelong Tenn hatred.   

1966-Auburn-Tigers-vs-Tennessee-Vols-Football-Program thumbnail 1

Ha! The Tutwiller is still our favorite place to stay in B'ham.

42 minutes ago, tdburger said:

Ha! The Tutwiller is still our favorite place to stay in B'ham.

2 years later I got to return to Birmingham to see the return match vs Tenn.  The outcome was very different that time.  The drunk Tenn fans on the busses weren't as enthusiastic that time.  On the drive home, we went up I-59 and most of the cars headed that way were folks returning to Tennessee.   I had an Auburn cushion that I was holding out the car window on the ride up the freeway...yes, the good old days of cars with no AC and using the windows for AC.  The Tenn fans were a mix of some that would smile and wave; and the more typical response was a digruntled driver would shoot me a bird...nice reaction by an adult to a ten year old boy having fun.  This further cemented my extreme dislike to Tenn fans.

Needless to say,  I took losing to Tenn last year pretty hard.  

Georgia Tech in 1970.  Pat Sullivan connected with Alvin Bressler for 85 yards, at the time the longest pass play in Auburn history.  Auburn won, I think the score was 35-20.

15 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

1st Auburn game attended

1993 Mississippi State the alleged "Helium" game... Auburn punter Terry Daniel punted twice for almost a 60 yard average. Mississippi State coach Jackie Sherrill then complained to the SEC and NCAA that Daniel had used footballs filled with helium to punt the bombs.

In the investigation, they had Daniel punt balls with helium and not... he didnt know which was which, and punted the regular one further if I remember correctly 

9 hours ago, lca408 said:

1994 vs LSU. Yep. That one.

I was at that one. It was absolutely insane. 

For it to be your first game the football gods certainly smiled upon you my friend.

31 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

For it to be your first game the football gods certainly smiled upon you my friend.

Me, also...hottest, muggiest Auburn game I ever attended. Worth it though.  Was at the UF game in '93, too. Been to some good ones.

1 minute ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Was at the UF game in '93, too. Been to some good ones

Me too. 

One of my favorites that I've been at was probably the 2000 Wyoming game. Seeing RUDI in orange and blue for the first time was something special. 

9 hours ago, fredst said:

1978. Watched us lose to Miami 17-15, dude named Otis Anderson broke a long run late in the 4th to set up their winning field goal. Seems like he ended up being pretty good for the NYG after he got done at Miami 🤔

Unrelated but I remember watching a Giants game on TV, in the 80's, when Anderson played a game less than one week after hemorrhoid surgery.  Pardon the pun but he was Bad Ass!

10 hours ago, Eisenhower_1952 said:

1986 UGA.  We lost 16-20, Georgia fans rushed the field and Auburn turned the sprinkler system on to get them off the field.

Man I remember that game, refs cheated us by calling Fullwood down when he wasnt down.

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I was in the student section for that one. One of my favorites of all time.

Auburn vs Arizona 1977. That day began my dream of going to school there one day. 

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

One of my favorites that I've been at was probably the 2000 Wyoming game. Seeing RUDI in orange and blue for the first time was something special. 

I was at that one as well.  It was on a Thursday night and the stands were not even close to being full.  Rudi ran wild, Gilyard knocked the guy from Wyoming's helmet off (would be targeting now), and it was the first time they ever flew one of the eagles in the stadium in the pregame.

40 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Man I remember that game, refs cheated us by calling Fullwood down when he wasnt down.

I wasn't at the game but my father and grandfather were.  I remember the play you are talking about.  Fullwood's legs never stopped moving, but they blew the whistle anyway.

September 21, 1974.  Auburn vs Chatanooga.  52-0 blow out.  Mike Fuller was my hero.

Last game was 2004, LSU game.  Sat behind Ben Tamburello.  Really nice guy. He couldn't believe I taught at uat.  Loudest 1:48 I have ever been subjected to once we put that PAT through.

14 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Gargis was tough as a dollar steak (credit David Housel), but I didn’t remember him ever having an 82 yard run. Thanks!

Coach Jordan loved the guy and said he was "tougher than a Lee County pine knot". He dated and later married my then girlfriend and now wife's  sorority sister. Never really knew him in those days but met a few times at tailgates in later years and seemed like a great guy.  Am also having a tough time recalling an 82 yard run. Pretty uncommon by a QB in those days.

https://www.thewareaglereader.com/2014/10/former-au-quarterback-phil-gargis-talks-about-the-1974-auburn-mississippi-state-game-that-led

September 5th 1987  #5 Auburn vs Texas with Eric Metcalf

Pat Dye with Larry Blakeney and Pat Sullivan as OC's and Wayne Hall as DC

Burger, Ware, Danley, Joseph, Tillman, Wright, Weygand, Donaldson, Reeves, Searels

Rocker, Bruce, Hill, Crain, Ogletree, Porter

and WIN Lyle

We bottled up Metcalf and held Texas to under 300 yards and won 31-3 in front of 80,000 before we expanded to current capacity 

I am not exactly sure what year but it was before 1957 because I remember seeing Bobby Hoppe play and I didn't go to any games in 1957. I think that was Hoppe's last year and he would have been about (23) years old that season. 

13 hours ago, fredst said:

That was my 3rd AU game attended.  We scored late and Barfield went for the win to go ahead 15-14. Otis "OJ" Anderson broke that run on 4th and mile on a draw play; won't ever forget it. Kicked the FG with very little time left.  I think he was originally drafted by the Bengals...

Archived