College Football 2020 (merged threads again)

KnightTiger

2 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

I predict that by early May we will be back at it..including figuring out Practice schedules. If students/athletes get  back by, say, the second week of July, the season can go on like normal. 

Any later than that, I predict that the season would be delayed by a week or two.

There WILL be a second spike in cases tho around October. When that happens, I wonder if we will repeat some of this. 

read on another board there was talk of mini camp being held in may if they get the all clear  on ESPN radio today! that tells me for now PTB feel atleast 95% we will have football! "For now"  and "IF" are the headlines though

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The casualties in west Vance would be apoplectic. 😎

On 3/20/2020 at 2:32 PM, kennypowers said:

You can all thank trump for being further behind and in worse shape than we should be.  Somehow his followers will make him out to be the hero in the end, but his ignorance has cost lives.

Bullcrap.

• WarTiger changed the title to College Football 2020 (merged threads)

That's flat out 100% bullcrap. President Trump didn't start this virus nor did he bring it to America. Does anyone really believe he wanted America to come to a stand still and watch people die because of this damn virus? he'll no.

13 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

Bullcrap.

13 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

You can all thank trump for being further behind and in worse shape than we should be.  Somehow his followers will make him out to be the hero in the end, but his ignorance has cost lives

That is idiotic! 
you probably believe everything you’d read!

Btw,

Kurt Herbstreit said yesterday he would be shocked if we had college football or pro football this year.

1 hour ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Btw,

Kurt Herbstreit said yesterday he would be shocked if we had college football or pro football this year.

Any predictions at this point out should be taken with a huge grain of salt, and mine are no exception. But I imagine that with this much time to plan, and this much money at stake, they’ll figure out a way to play the games, even if they don’t allow crowds and only use a skeleton crew. There is just so much revenue to be had by televising the games. It wouldn’t surprise me at all though if this isn’t feasible for smaller programs that end up having to take a year off.

8 minutes ago, AuburnArch13 said:

Any predictions at this point out should be taken with a huge grain of salt, and mine are no exception. But I imagine that with this much time to plan, and this much money at stake, they’ll figure out a way to play the games, even if they don’t allow crowds and only use a skeleton crew. There is just so much revenue to be had by televising the games. It wouldn’t surprise me at all though if this isn’t feasible for smaller programs that end up having to take a year off.

I could see them doing the following in order to play college football or even pro football, should the virus require large populations to stay home:

1. All coaches and player would be tested prior to any game. Temp, swab(w/ 15 min results) etc...

2. Games would have no one in the stands. All games would be televised w/ pay per view so that money could be distributed to the colleges that lose ticket money. Or colleges would still have virtual ticket sales taht would still bring money to the college and allow fans to watch the game on tv..

Any games located in designated hot spot would require venue changes to locations that are in the low category of risk. Any traveling teams would then be tested when arriving at the visiting location.

14 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I could see them doing the following in order to play college football or even pro football, should the virus require large populations to stay home:

1. All coaches and player would be tested prior to any game. Temp, swab(w/ 15 min results) etc...

2. Games would have no one in the stands. All games would be televised w/ pay per view so that money could be distributed to the colleges that lose ticket money. Or colleges would still have virtual ticket sales taht would still bring money to the college and allow fans to watch the game on tv..

Any games located in designated hot spot would require venue changes to locations that are in the low category of risk. Any traveling teams would then be tested when arriving at the visiting location.

And the minute anyone involved, staff, players, coaches, crew, support, etc, tests positive, they will blow up all games, both in pro and college at any level.

On 3/21/2020 at 2:51 PM, passthebiscuits said:

Yeah WHO is doing the best they can. They’re not the end-all-beat-all for this, but they do a decent job at global problems. Think of them like NATO...they try, bless their hearts.

We are wise to trust our own scientists/epidemiologists. 

Article about WHO.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/world-health-organization-coronavirus-what-went-wrong

I have a backup plan if no season this year. I am going to pull out the 2010 Championship DVD set and watch 1 game a week. Watching Cam grow in front of our eyes that year was truly special. Then go roll the front yard after we win lol

3 hours ago, AUBwins said:

I have a backup plan if no season this year. I am going to pull out the 2010 Championship DVD set and watch 1 game a week. Watching Cam grow in front of our eyes that year was truly special. Then go roll the front yard after we win lol

The things we do with time on our hands

so don't know if anyone has heard but the last two days Friday and Saturday there were rumors floating that CFB would kickoff its 2020 season in summer months July, August, September. the rumor was quickly shot down by CBS Dennis Dodd  who said he spoke to a high ranking "College Athletics Official and that there had been no discussion regarding the 2020 season at this time"  bammer homer Cecil Hurt also claimed he spoke to a few  college officials and they also they have not heard any discussions of a "Summer kickoff for College Football"  

so basically with that said just based off that it sounds like CFB folks are in wait and see mode like everyone else right now and probably wont really start making decisions untill mid-may/early june! also IMO while I feel its unlikely everything will be closed past May/June I do think there will be folks forced to make adjustments to their schedule and CFB will probably be one of those

Not sure i understand the reasoning behind a summer start. Just trying to play between waves of the virus i suppose? 

On 3/19/2020 at 11:24 AM, Proud Tiger said:

Where kemo sabe?

I am envious....I have never gotten a down vote!

3 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Not sure i understand the reasoning behind a summer start. Just trying to play between waves of the virus i suppose? 

yes rumors are that's why they were reportedly looking at a summer kickoff. but again it was proven to be nothing but a rumor as Dodd and Hurt both could get no confirmation from anyone they talked to! I realize that the virus is scary. but I doubt seriously a summer kickoff would even happen or be discussed for these reasons

1. pre-season practice would have to begin as early as late April/mid May and based off of Trump extending the guidelines to April 30th with a June 1st date to open everything back up we know that's probably not gonna happen!

2. all games would have to be played at night as much as folks in the south love Football I cant imagine anyone sitting inside JHS or BDS on a hot June/July afternoon in near 98-100 degree heat risking heatstroke just to watch Auburn and Alabama blowout a cupcake 78-0

3. this would most likely mean a shortened season (which may happen anyway!) but instead of Auburn/Alabama Auburn/Georgia Alabama/LSU or even Ohio State/Michigan happening in November those games would probably be held in late July/early August and where would that leave bowl games and championship games! well im guessing that would place them in mid August/early September

Let's say it's mid-summer and the COVID-19 is losing punch and it's safe to get out and it's safe to be with people again, would the NCAA push opening day to the first Saturday in October? You're thought please.

As crazy as this sounds I think that they would even think about starting it in mid August. Brutal. 
Right now I would say everything is on the table

So I’m apolitical...truly...don’t give a flyin rip. But what about a virus is political? I just don’t get it. This thing eats people...because we are people. It doesn’t care the capital letter beside the President’s name or on what side of the aisle you sit.

For that matter, the countries that have done the best at containment have violated personal freedoms, commanded isolation or in some cases flat out lied to make it look better. 

My opinion, but right now we need to be Americans and quit pointing fingers and start pulling together for humanity. 

6 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

PS I’ve held the hand of a couple of people dying in front of me from this and they don’t blame anyone. They have bigger more eternal struggles to go through. 

Thank you PTB. I'm sure that it was comforting for them having you with them. You all are heroes. 

• WarTiger changed the title to College Football 2020 (merged threads again)
14 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

PS I’ve held the hand of a couple of people dying in front of me from this and they don’t blame anyone. They have bigger more eternal struggles to go through. 

Man, I don't even know how to respond to this, other than to say that I read it and processed it and am thinking about your fight. 

Archived