Never Let a Crisis Go to Waste

AFTiger

So maybe I'm just looking at this wrong, but this seems to be the exact thing Senate Republicans did.  Senate Republicans put out their plan in bill form (CARES Act) because they have the majority there.

House Dems are putting out their plan because they have the majority there.

If anyone here thinks all or even most parts of either proposal is going to be adopted, then let's talk about some tropical property in Alaska that I'd love to sell you.

Both houses of Congress are doing the same damn thing, but with different proposals.  And leadership on each aisle is ******* stupid for not working with each other on this issue from the outset.

Fricking idiots screw up everything (looking at you McConnell & Pelosi).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

So maybe I'm just looking at this wrong, but this seems to be the exact thing Senate Republicans did.  Senate Republicans put out their plan in bill form (CARES Act) because they have the majority there.

If anyone here thinks all or even most parts of either proposal is going to be adopted, then let's talk about some tropical property in Alaska that I'd love to sell you.

Both houses of Congress are doing the same damn thing, but with different proposals.  And leadership on each aisle is ******* stupid for not working with each other on this issue from the outset.

Someone please explain the FacePalm for that. Brad plainly states what is factually obvious. Both sides are doing their thing, working for their masters. The problem is that they are not talking to each other while the American People suffer and twist in the wind. 

This Bill should be straight up fixing the COVID_19 Issues. 
How and to Who the $$$ is disbursed is legit. 
USPS issues are not.
Union Leaders on BOT is a great idea, just not here. 
$15/hour Minimum is a great idea, just not here. This could be more damaging to some businesses.
Both sides are f'in this up.

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

Someone please explain the FacePalm for that. 

It's ICHY.  And it had been a while.  Thought he forgot about me.

The first bill by the House basically excluded Republicans and there were multiple things in it the Republicans didn't like but they passed it anyway because of the urgency. Now when the Republicans did something similar in the Senate the Democrats made a big stink about it. That said the Democrats were not involved in the initial planning but have been allowed input and the bill has changed with their input. The Problem is the Democrats are saying we do it my way or we don't do it at all. 

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

You left out Schumet LOL.

You are right in 1st Bill from House Pelosi and Democrats put it together and basically ran it through. Only difference is there were many things Republicans didn't like but they realized speed was of the essence both in fighting the Covid-19 and for the long term health of the economy and so they agreed to it.  Now McConnell does same thing with Republicans and the.  Democrats stop it. I agree with some of the Democrats objections on oversight of the Slush fund but some of the things they have tried to add that have nothing to do with either Covid-19 and the actual bailout of the economy is my problem with the Democratic stand. Trump himself agreed with Democrats on more oversight that could have easily been done. 

Just like in the 1st Bill time is of the essence especially for the economy.

38 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

It's ICHY.  And it had been a while.  Thought he forgot about me.

As Brad said it is ICHY. I will give ICHY credit he is an equal opportunity Face Palmer. He will Face Palm anything from bad ideas to well thought out ideas and everything in between. I will be shocked if he doesn't Face Palm this. 

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

The first bill by the House basically excluded Republicans and there were multiple things in it the Republicans didn't like but they passed it anyway because of the urgency. Now when the Republicans did something similar in the Senate the Democrats made a big stink about it. That said the Democrats were not involved in the initial planning but have been allowed input and the bill has changed with their input. The Problem is the Democrats are saying we do it my way or we don't do it at all. 

You left out Schumet LOL.

You are right in 1st Bill from House Pelosi and Democrats put it together and basically ran it through. Only difference is there were many things Republicans didn't like but they realized speed was of the essence both in fighting the Covid-19 and for the long term health of the economy and so they agreed to it.  Now McConnell does same thing with Republicans and the.  Democrats stop it. I agree with some of the Democrats objections on oversight of the Slush fund but some of the things they have tried to add that have nothing to do with either Covid-19 and the actual bailout of the economy is my problem with the Democratic stand. Trump himself agreed with Democrats on more oversight that could have easily been done. 

Just like in the 1st Bill time is of the essence especially for the economy.

Do your research on this one.  The first bill that the House crafted was done in conjunction with the White House, particularly Mnuchin.  That's why Senate Republicans didn't fight.  It already had Trump's blessing.  And the Senate was in recess when the bill was written, so they weren't even around to work on it.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/politics/nancy-pelosi-steve-mnuchin-relationship/index.html

19 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Patron Estate is one of the best tequilas I’ve ever had. And I’m a firm hater of Patron. 

https://www.patrontequila.com/products/patron-estate-release.html

I'll check it out. Thanks!

10 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Do your research on this one.  The first bill that the House crafted was done in conjunction with the White House, particularly Mnuchin.  That's why Senate Republicans didn't fight.  It already had Trump's blessing.  And the Senate was in recess when the bill was written, so they weren't even around to work on it.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/politics/nancy-pelosi-steve-mnuchin-relationship/index.html

You are right the Senate was in recess but the House was not and while Mnuchin was involved Peolosi got no real input from Republican's in the House. when they saw it they made clear their objections but they passed it.  The Senate was Mnuchin and McConnell when it was finished the Democrats were brought in and also negotiated with Mnuchin it was at this point they tried to add things that had nothing to do with what the Bill was designed for. Like I said earlier I had no problem with their comments on wanting more oversight on the money going to companies. More oversight in Washington is always good. Trump also agreed to that area it was the frivolous add-ons that delayed this. There was some bad things in the first bill and there will be bad things in this bill partly because it is Washington but mostly because of the urgency to get things done. The House and Senate Republicans accepted what they considered the bad in the first bill because of the urgency. The delay in the second bill around Postal Service, Wind and Solar subsidies etc. does not speak well for the Democratic leadership when time is of the essence.  

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

You are right the Senate was in recess but the House was not and while Mnuchin was involved Peolosi got no real input from Republican's in the House. when they saw it they made clear their objections but they passed it.  The Senate was Mnuchin and McConnell when it was finished the Democrats were brought in and also negotiated with Mnuchin it was at this point they tried to add things that had nothing to do with what the Bill was designed for. Like I said earlier I had no problem with their comments on wanting more oversight on the money going to companies. More oversight in Washington is always good. Trump also agreed to that area it was the frivolous add-ons that delayed this. There was some bad things in the first bill and there will be bad things in this bill partly because it is Washington but mostly because of the urgency to get things done. The House and Senate Republicans accepted what they considered the bad in the first bill because of the urgency. The delay in the second bill around Postal Service, Wind and Solar subsidies etc. does not speak well for the Democratic leadership when time is of the essence.  

I'm not defending the pork that Dems proposed at all.  But we have to keep things correct here.  That stuff you mentioned about the postal service, wind subsidies, etc was in the House proposal.  It was, at least to our knowledge, never proposed or brought up in the negotiation for what is the finalized bill going through the Senate.  The delays in the Senate had more to do with who gets the bailout money and creating oversight for it so that the money wasn't abused by corporations.

As for the first bill, Pelosi didn't need buy-in from House Republicans.  Different rules here.  She could pass it on simple majority and had those votes.  What she needed was the White House's backing to get it through the Senate.  Negotiation with House Republicans in that instance made no sense.

McConnell needs 60 and doesn't have the votes.  Plus he has to have House approval, which Dems control.  The dynamics at play are far different and need to be acknowledged here.

Is witholding funds from the county until certain stipulations are added/met (like oversight to counter any corruption) considered a quid pro quo?  I'm just asking... 😁

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm not defending the pork that Dems proposed at all.  But we have to keep things correct here.  That stuff you mentioned about the postal service, wind subsidies, etc was in the House proposal.  It was, at least to our knowledge, never proposed or brought up in the negotiation for what is the finalized bill going through the Senate.  The delays in the Senate had more to do with who gets the bailout money and creating oversight for it so that the money wasn't abused by corporations.

As for the first bill, Pelosi didn't need buy-in from House Republicans.  Different rules here.  She could pass it on simple majority and had those votes.  What she needed was the White House's backing to get it through the Senate.  Negotiation with House Republicans in that instance made no sense.

McConnell needs 60 and doesn't have the votes.  Plus he has to have House approval, which Dems control.  The dynamics at play are far different and need to be acknowledged here.

That sounds like you are supporting the pork barreling. They both screwed up. The Republican Bill was WWWAAAYYY too flexible reguarding bailouts. That would have been TARP2 and the Dem bill had a bunch of deal-killers & non-Starters.

22 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

That sounds like you are supporting the pork barreling. 

How did you get that when the first sentence I wrote literally states "I'm not defending the pork that Dems proposed at all."

What I'm debating is the process here.  People are conflating Pelosi's idiotic bill with the one that the Senate proposed and is being passed today.  They are two separate entities.  Pelosi's stuff never saw the light of day in the Senate Bill and was never under serious consideration.

The first bill that Pelosi and the House wrote in conjunction with the White House (one passed last week) is a completely different conversation because it's a different process.  The bill originating in the House or Senate matters a lot here.

On 3/23/2020 at 3:40 PM, AFTiger said:

Nothing justifies the actions by the Dems. 

Just like each bloody, stupid war Republicans have craved since 82.

Both are craven.  Republicans moreso

It takes a real man to stand up against violence and find an alternative, a coward to pull out weapons and start destroying lives

4 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

Just like each bloody, stupid war Republicans have craved since 82.

Both are craven.  Republicans moreso

It takes a real man to stand up against violence and find an alternative, a coward to pull out weapons and start destroying lives

Ok?

On 3/23/2020 at 8:13 PM, AUFAN78 said:

Dude, if you've never tried Patron Anejo do it soon. Good grief so smooth.

hey man are you aware the comedian ron white has his own takillya out? you would have to google it because i am not much of a drinker but he said on a youtube interview his tequila was as close to pot as you could get. i believ some of his stuff has won awards and they will mail it to you. you guys can thank me later.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

hey man are you aware the comedian ron white has his own takillya out? you would have to google it because i am not much of a drinker but he said on a youtube interview his tequila was as close to pot as you could get. i believ some of his stuff has won awards and they will mail it to you. you guys can thank me later.

Tequila is much more complex than most realize though.  I love Anejo because it's aged and has a more oak flavor to it.  Darker color too.  Repasados on the other hand are clear but not what most would think of when it comes to tequila.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

Let us know how good it is fidy. 

Suggestion for a quarantine cocktail as the weather warms. Fill an old fashioned glass with ice. Pour in a splash of citrus sparkling water- lime La Croix, grapefruit Bubly, whatever you like. Hit it with 2 oz of tequila. (I use reposado. Blanco would do well. I tend to save anejos for sipping.) Fill almost to the top with good grapefruit juice. Doesn't have to be fresh squeezed, but some of the good stuff from the refrigerated section at the grocery store works great. Leave just enough room for a squeeze of lime and, the coup de grace, a splash of mezcal. Freaking magical cocktail. 

On 3/23/2020 at 8:13 PM, AUFAN78 said:

Dude, if you've never tried Patron Anejo do it soon. Good grief so smooth.

smoke one instead. you will feel good today and feel better tomorrow..............lol. no hangovers...

12 minutes ago, AFTiger said:

topic hijack alert    

I only drink tequila in a daiquiris

Mistake #1....drinking daiquiris

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I thought daquiris were made with rum. Shrug.

They typically are. However, I was reading the recipe on the Finest Call strawberry daiquiri mix the other day and it calls for either. 🤷‍♂️

Archived