The Runoff

AUDub

I voted for Coach Tuberville and will do so again in November. Whether some of you like it or not, he was a successful football coach at Auburn. It's takes more intelligence, organizational ability and toughness to be an SEC head coach than it does to be a senator. Some may consider that to be sad, but it's nonetheless true.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I voted for Coach Tuberville and will do so again in November. Whether some of you like it or not, he was a successful football coach at Auburn. It's takes more intelligence, organizational ability and toughness to be an SEC head coach than it does to be a senator. Some may consider that to be sad, but it's nonetheless true.

All I am saying is that those skillsets do exist. I just dont think CTT has the whole being a Senator thing nailed down.

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

All I am saying is that those skillsets do exist. I just dont think CTT has the whole being a Senator thing nailed down.

Awe come on. He was a good hedge fund manager.  

Does Tubs know if he wins, he'll have to vote before 11 am sometimes?  Based on his history, I'm not sure he'd show up.

11 minutes ago, alexava said:

Awe come on. He was a good hedge fund manager.  

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Does Tubs know if he wins, he'll have to vote before 11 am sometimes?  Based on his history, I'm not sure he'd show up.

More of this. :roflol:

21 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Since his routine work day as a head coach was 15 to 18 hours for six to seven days week I think he'll manage early votes better than most.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Since his routine work day as a head coach was 15 to 18 hours for six to seven days week I think he'll manage early votes better than most.

images.jpeg

12 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

images.jpeg

When something one writes fails miserably, I suppose trying to pass it off as a joke is as good an escape attempt as any.

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

When something one writes fails miserably, I suppose trying to pass it off as a joke is as good an escape attempt as any.

Let me explain the oh so obvious joke ya nimwit, which others seemed to easily pick up on here.

Tommy Tuberville's teams often lost morning kickoffs around 11 am, especially to unranked opponents when AU was a favorite.  Thus the "not showing up" part.

Damn man, there's a whole segment of our fan base that is still scared to death of a morning kickoff because they have Tuberville PTSD.

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Let me explain the oh so obvious joke ya nimwit

It wasn't intended as a joke, it was a (very weak) attempt at dissing Coach Tuberville, someone you've already stated is your least favorite AU coach.

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It wasn't intended as a joke, it was a (very weak) attempt at dissing Coach Tuberville, someone you've already stated is your least favorite AU coach.

It was both a diss and a joke relating to his football coaching skills.  In fact, jokes are often disses.  Two things can be true.

But thanks for telling me what was going through my head when I was posting it.  Not sure how I could make it through the day without you helping me there.

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

It was both a diss and a joke relating to his football coaching skills.  In fact, jokes are often disses.  Two things can be true.

But thanks for telling me what was going through my head when I was posting it.  Not sure how I could make it through the day without you helping me there.

I'm just now starting to realize what a challenge that would be for you.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm just now starting to realize what a challenge that would be for you.

Cool.  Since you don't mind that, I'll let you take my conference calls and emails tomorrow.  I'm gonna head to the track.  Appreciate ya looking out for me.

22 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Cool.  Since you don't mind that, I'll let you take my conference calls and emails tomorrow. I'm gonna head to the track.  Appreciate ya looking out for me.

I can send one of my stable hands over to do that. She'd be quite a bit over qualified, what with having a GED and all but she is a newly wed and could use an easy day.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

I can send one of my stable hands over to do that. She'd be quite a bit over qualified, what with having a GED and all but she is a newly wed and could use an easy day.

Appreciate the support.  Just tell her not to lose our entire nine figure business in a day.  That would really suck.

On 7/22/2020 at 12:30 AM, Brad_ATX said:

Let me explain the oh so obvious joke ya nimwit, which others seemed to easily pick up on here.

Tommy Tuberville's teams often lost morning kickoffs around 11 am, especially to unranked opponents when AU was a favorite.  Thus the "not showing up" part.

Damn man, there's a whole segment of our fan base that is still scared to death of a morning kickoff because they have Tuberville PTSD.

2006 in particular. We went undefeated after noon.

Seriously, I think I remember hearing (from the sideline reporter I think) that Tubs was pushing hard for Georgia to be a night game.

Still have great memories of Tubs though. The two victories over Urban are probably in my all time top five favorite games.

42 minutes ago, AUwent said:

2006 in particular. We went undefeated after noon.

Seriously, I think I remember hearing (from the sideline reporter I think) that Tubs was pushing hard for Georgia to be a night game.

Still have great memories of Tubs though. The two victories over Urban are probably in my all time top five favorite games.

Yeah, I'm different.  That 2006 UF game pisses me off to no end.  

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Is it because you feel like 2006 was a missed opportunity? I guess I can see your point--it's how I feel about 2014 LSU and Ole Miss.

In the end though, that game was just an absolute blast. One thing I remember in particular is the weather--oh my god, it was absolutely perfect. That was also my introduction to Gameday; I'll never forget seeing Corso put on that gator head pre-game and hearing the crowd boo. Even though I wasn't there (like most games), I could just feel the atmosphere.

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

We beat UF in 2006.  I remember.  I was there and my ears were ringing for two days after.

42 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Is it because you feel like 2006 was a missed opportunity? I guess I can see your point--it's how I feel about 2014 LSU and Ole Miss.

In the end though, that game was just an absolute blast. One thing I remember in particular is the weather--oh my god, it was absolutely perfect. That was also my introduction to Gameday; I'll never forget seeing Corso put on that gator head pre-game and hearing the crowd boo. Even though I wasn't there (like most games), I could just feel the atmosphere.

2006 should have been an SEC championship and a shot at the natty.  We lost two home games to unranked teams while we were in the Top 5 both times because our coaching staff had us woefully unprepared to play.  That's unacceptable.  It's the most forgettable 11 win season in our history.

30 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

We beat UF in 2006.  I remember.  I was there and my ears were ringing for two days after.

I was also there.  Here's why that game pisses me off.  Walking out of the stadium, people were so happy that we just upset the #2 team in the country.  Do you both remember who was #2 the week prior?  It was the Auburn Tigers.  Arkansas had come into our house seven days earlier and whipped our unprepared asses.  It's hard for me to celebrate "upsetting" a #2 ranked UF knowing that it should have been #2 vs #3 game, with us being the higher ranked team.

I love AU, but our fans quite frankly don't get how rare opportunities at greatness are and instead love to celebrate the moments.  Moments are fleeting.  Greatness is forever.  When we you have a shot at greatness, you have to capitalize on it.  I envy Bama for that, because they will not settle for a few fun wins here and there.  They demand more.

An example: walking out of the 2013 Natty at the Rose Bowl, I heard a lady go "we'll get 'em next time".  When I asked her did she realize that 2010 was the only title we've won in more than half a century and fully appreciate how hard it is just to get there, she didn't have much to say.

22 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

2006 should have been an SEC championship and a shot at the natty.  We lost two home games to unranked teams while we were in the Top 5 both times because our coaching staff had us woefully unprepared to play.  That's unacceptable.  It's the most forgettable 11 win season in our history.

I was also there.  Here's why that game pisses me off.  Walking out of the stadium, people were so happy that we just upset the #2 team in the country.  Do you both remember who was #2 the week prior?  It was the Auburn Tigers.  Arkansas had come into our house seven days earlier and whipped our unprepared asses.  It's hard for me to celebrate "upsetting" a #2 ranked UF knowing that it should have been #2 vs #3 game, with us being the higher ranked team.

I love AU, but our fans quite frankly don't get how rare opportunities at greatness are and instead love to celebrate the moments.  Moments are fleeting.  Greatness is forever.  When we you have a shot at greatness, you have to capitalize on it.  I envy Bama for that, because they will not settle for a few fun wins here and there.  They demand more.

An example: walking out of the 2013 Natty at the Rose Bowl, I heard a lady go "we'll get 'em next time".  When I asked her did she realize that 2010 was the only title we've won in more than half a century and fully appreciate how hard it is just to get there, she didn't have much to say.

Fair. I feel like the Arky game was understandable, given their all-world backfield making some OC from the high school ranks (whatever happened to him?) look like a genius--also they were coming off a bye.

Georgia that year was a complete travesty.

9 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

The truth of the matter on that 2006 team though was that while we had a killer defense, it didn't have anything near a championship offense.  Even a slight drop-off on the defensive side would have yielded at least 2-3 more losses that season.  Even in the Florida win it was a confluence of special teams and defensive plays that won it.  We kicked four FGs and scored zero offensive TDs but had 27 points on the strength of a blocked punt where Tre Smith dives in for the TD and the last play of the game where Patrick Lee scooped up a fumble and ran it in for a TD as time expired.  We cracked 40 points once all year (Washington State - first game of the season) and that was a schedule that included the likes of Buffalo, Tulane and Arkansas State.  We barely scraped by a 6-6 Bama team 22-15.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

The truth of the matter on that 2006 team though was that while we had a killer defense, it didn't have anything near a championship offense.  Even a slight drop-off on the defensive side would have yielded at least 2-3 more losses that season.  Even in the Florida win it was a confluence of special teams and defensive plays that won it.  We kicked four FGs and scored zero offensive TDs but had 27 points on the strength of a blocked punt where Tre Smith dives in for the TD and the last play of the game where Patrick Lee scooped up a fumble and ran it in for a TD as time expired.  We cracked 40 points once all year (Washington State - first game of the season) and that was a schedule that included the likes of Buffalo, Tulane and Arkansas State.  We barely scraped by a 6-6 Bama team 22-15.

The 2004 AU team also only beat Bama by a TD.  In fact, they were trailing at the half.  May not be the comparison you want.

But you are correct in saying the offense wasn't great.  It still doesn't excuse the entire team being flat unprepared to play twice, at home, as a heavy favorite.  And even if one was to excuse the Arkansas game, there's no excuse for the way that team played against UGA.

Either way, I still think that team missed a golden opportunity that year at a ring.  No one in college football was that good.  We had every opportunity to be in Atlanta and potentially Glendale at the end of the year.  We squandered it.

The 2004 AU team also only beat Bama by a TD.  In fact, they were trailing at the half.  May not be the comparison you want.

That's literally the only similarity in the 2004 and 2006 seasons.  We flat dominated 9 of the 13 opponents we played and had a tougher schedule.  The WR corp of Obomanu, Aromashodu, Taylor and Mix paired with a backfield of Jason Campbell, Ronnie and Caddy was outstanding. 

But you are correct in saying the offense wasn't great.  It still doesn't excuse the entire team being flat unprepared to play twice, at home, as a heavy favorite.  And even if one was to excuse the Arkansas game, there's no excuse for the way that team played against UGA.

Either way, I still think that team missed a golden opportunity that year at a ring.  No one in college football was that good.  We had every opportunity to be in Atlanta and potentially Glendale at the end of the year.  We squandered it.

I think they had a shot.  But that offense lacked a real threat in the passing game all season long, so they keyed on Irons and Tate and forced Brandon Cox to score points with his arm.  Had we still had Obomanu and Aromashodu from the 2005 season on that team, I think we'd have been a lock.

15 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

That's literally the only similarity in the 2004 and 2006 seasons.  We flat dominated 9 of the 13 opponents we played and had a tougher schedule.  The WR corp of Obomanu, Aromashodu, Taylor and Mix paired with a backfield of Jason Campbell, Ronnie and Caddy was outstanding. 

LSU game and the bowl games are pretty solid comparisons too 😉 

But you're right about the offense in totality.  2004's was superior to 2006 in every way imaginable.

15 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I think they had a shot.  But that offense lacked a real threat in the passing game all season long, so they keyed on Irons and Tate and forced Brandon Cox to score points with his arm.  Had we still had Obomanu and Aromashodu from the 2005 season on that team, I think we'd have been a lock.

This is where we disagree.  We had more than a shot.  Hold court against a mediocre UGA team and we're in Atlanta playing for the right to go to the natty.  Never forget that UGA took a mercy knee on our four yard line that day because they beat us like a drum.

Archived