Whitlow Lands at Western Illinois.

Timbeaux38

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Wasn't an SEC back? Definitely strong arguments for why he wasn't the best back on Auburn's roster, but the kid had over 1,800 yards in two seasons and 18 touchdowns while playing in the SEC. I don't understand statements like this. 

He ran hard but he just didn’t have the vision or burst to be a great RB, plus the fumble issues. He would’ve been 4th or 5th on the depth chart this season and that’s why he left 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

He ran hard but he just didn’t have the vision or burst to be a great RB, plus the fumble issues. He would’ve been 4th or 5th on the depth chart this season and that’s why he left 

Who said anything about being great?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Well, most SEC RBs have to be great. Unless you’re talking about someone like Vandy or Arkansas 

Dude he starts for us two years and it’s not like the peeps behind him are chopped liver. To do something like that you have to be pretty dang talented. We are just use to seeing NFL talent at the RB position consistently , which is about something like 1% of the population is capable of doing. Good luck young man. Run hard and get that degree. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

He was the starting running back at Auburn for two straight seasons.

To me it was obvious last year that DJ and Worm were more of a true RB. Yeah the OL was terrible but there were many times boobie got to the 2nd level and missed the hole. I would’ve started DJ and Worm over him last season. But we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this. Regardless I’m excited to see the addition of Tank and MAR this season. We’re definitely loaded there. 

7 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

To me it was obvious last year that DJ and Worm were more of a true RB. Yeah the OL was terrible but there were many times boobie got to the 2nd level and missed the hole. I would’ve started DJ and Worm over him last season. But we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this. Regardless I’m excited to see the addition of Tank and MAR this season. We’re definitely loaded there. 

Agree to disagree on what, exactly? As I said earlier, there are strong arguments for why Boobie may not have been the best back on our roster while he was here. I'm not even trying to debate that point. I just find it incredibly dismissive to say that Boobie Whitlow, a two-year starter and the most productive running back on our roster for 2018 and 2019, was never an SEC back. I don't even think that's your opinion. It's just a misstatement of fact. 

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Agree to disagree on what, exactly? As I said earlier, there are strong arguments for why Boobie may not have been the best back on our roster while he was here. I'm not even trying to debate that point. I just find it incredibly dismissive to say that Boobie Whitlow, a two-year starter and the most productive running back on our roster for 2018 and 2019, was never an SEC back. I don't even think that's your opinion. It's just a misstatement of fact. 

There’s a lot of people saying this, and I don’t agree either. He was never elite, but he was solid. His vision was hit or miss (probably because he’s only played the position for 2 years), and he lacked elite speed. But he was a patient and very powerful runner, and had good lateral quickness (i.e., he juked defenders well). He was also a legit threat in the wildcat because he was a qb in high school. He also had decent hands. Reminded me a lot of a young Peyton barber but with more versatility, and we know how he did after college despite everyone doubting him as Auburn’s starter.

Edited by AUFriction
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

It would've been interesting to see what he could have been behind a competent OL.

And a less predictable offense. 

• Like 1

Yes he had a fumbling problem but there’s no way anybody should be doubting that he’s an SEC caliber player. That’s just straight up disrespectful saying something like that

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

It would've been interesting to see what he could have been behind a competent OL.

The man averaged 7 yards a carry against Bama last season. That is incredible considering who was blocking for him.

It's sad to see that he fell all the way to the FCS. But I think that says a lot on why he was let go (technically transferred).

• Like 1

It's odd to me that at the very least, a middle of the road FBS program didn't pick him up.  Seems like he'd be an instant upgrade at Rutgers, Pitt, Illinois, Purdue, etc.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Yes he had a fumbling problem but there’s no way anybody should be doubting that he’s an SEC caliber player. That’s just straight up disrespectful saying something like that

I thinks it's the fumbling problem that causes many to downgrade him from SEC caliber player.