State of the race, mid September

TitanTiger

1 hour ago, SocialCircle said:

Process has already started and the speed and process should be market driven as opposed to government driven. Meanwhile, Harris is for prohibiting fracking from day one. Biden has waffled on this, so nobody knows.

Economics 101...law of supply and demand. Unless there are extreme external influences such as regulatory or governmental requirenents. One of my favorite classes. 

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, creed said:

Economics 101...law of supply and demand. Unless there are extreme external influences such as regulatory or governmental requirenents. One of my favorite classes. 

Do you consider protection of our environment to be an "external factor" ?

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Do you consider protection of our environment to be an "external factor" ?

Yes, and I'm sure you already know that. I'm not saying environmental regulations are not needed because good regulation helps to ensure businesses are good stewards of the country's resources. Also, the cost of good regulation helps set the real price of a product, which is a factor in the  supply and demand model.

On 10/23/2020 at 7:24 AM, aubiefifty said:

trump ripping away kids from their parents and trying to blame biden saying biden built the cages instead of talking about the kids i believe hurt him. when you hurt the meekest among us you can no longer claim the moral high ground. and trumpers i understand obama did the cages and yes he was wrong but he was never for separation of kids from their families.

There has been more info come out about this subject. Over 450 of the parents have been found and contacted. They refuse to take their children back. 

On 10/21/2020 at 8:56 AM, TitanTiger said:

State level politics and national politics are different animals.  There are a lot of folks that will cross party lines voting for mayor, state legislature, or governor that never do that for President.  Trump beat Hillary in GA by over 200,000 votes.  A comfortable 5-point margin.  But now he's fighting for dear life to hold a state that last went for a Democrat 28 years ago.  And before that the they hadn't voted for one who wasn't a Georgia native (Carter) since John F. Kennedy in 1960.  For national politics, Georgia is a red state.  It may not be quite as red as it was 10-15 years ago, but any GOP candidate worth a damn wins that state.  They aren't holding on by their fingernails 13 days about from Election Day.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/president-trump-widens-lead-over-joe-biden-latest-exclusive-channel-2-poll/7R643PFTRVDFHGNWHJFBVHKUCY/

6 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

There has been more info come out about this subject. Over 450 of the parents have been found and contacted. They refuse to take their children back. 

Link?

21 hours ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Also as a FWIW, I work in Oil & Gas (I'm a Software Engineer working in Upstream Land. Past clients include Chevron, Exxon (via Imperial in Canada), Marathon, Shell, BP GOM, Equinor (Offshore and Onshore), Hess, Conoco, & others. My company's software is used at 100+ North American operators, including 9 of the 10 largest producers in the US (those being BP, Chevron, Conoco, Exxon, Oxy, Shell, Anadarko [now acquired by Oxy], Apache, and XTO). . The industry has known and been preparing for the world to shift away from Oil & Gas for a while. Our software solutions are being adapted to renewables (i.e. how you Lease Management & Accounting for windmills vs wells) and have been for some time. 

It’s great you are in a field that supports Oil and Gas.  You have a skill set that is not dependent upon that industry.  The people that are married to the industry, so to speak, have a different take on Biden’s mistake the other night (and I call it a mistake because he has already tried to walk it back).

To those people, his statement basically signals the end of their way of life, not gradually, but over a 5-8 year period.  This is Green New Deal territory and it works into the Republican’s talking points.  There is no way Biden can implement these changes in that time period, but that is not what those people heard.

Biden said he will create millions of good high paying jobs to replace those jobs lost to shutting down their industry.  A bird in the hand type of thing as most of those jobs do not require the same skill sets as an oil rig job may have and would not pay as much.

I would think the oil and gas employee would rather kick the can down the road than for a pie in the sky proposal from a AOC driven Democratic Party ideology.  AOC, evidently, has more say than previously thought. Biden has surrounded himself with these radical people and it’s obvious he bends the way these people want.  They will be very upset if he is elected and doesn’t follow through on his promises.  He has painted himself into a corner.  HIs (Obama) appeasement policy is not a way to run a country.

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

To those people, his statement basically signals the end of their way of life, not gradually, but over a 5-8 year period.  This is Green New Deal territory and it works into the Republican’s talking points.  There is no way Biden can implement these changes in that time period, but that is not what those people heard.

Except that's not what Biden said.  In fact he said something quite different in the debate (not just afterward):

During the climate change segment of the presidential candidate debate last night, President Donald Trump goaded his opponent former Vice-President Joe Biden with the question,"Would you close down the oil industry?" Biden responded, "I would transition from the oil industry. Yes." Trump immediately interrupted crowing, "That's a big statement." Biden agreed that it was a "big statement," and added, "Well if you let me finish the statement, because it has to be replaced by renewable energy over time, over time, and I'd stopped giving to the oil industry, I'd stop giving them federal subsidies."

Trump retorted, "In terms of business, it's the biggest statement." Why? "Because basically what he's saying that he's going to destroy the oil industry. Will you remember that Texas? Will you remember that Pennsylvania, Oklahoma. Ohio?," asked the president.

When given a chance by the moderator to respond, Biden declared, "He takes everything out of context, but the point is, look, we have to move toward net zero emissions. The first place to do that by the year 2035 is in energy production, by 2050 totally."

https://reason.com/2020/10/23/is-bidens-oil-transition-debate-claim-really-a-big-statement/

23 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Except that's not what Biden said.  In fact he said something quite different in the debate (not just afterward):

During the climate change segment of the presidential candidate debate last night, President Donald Trump goaded his opponent former Vice-President Joe Biden with the question,"Would you close down the oil industry?" Biden responded, "I would transition from the oil industry. Yes." Trump immediately interrupted crowing, "That's a big statement." Biden agreed that it was a "big statement," and added, "Well if you let me finish the statement, because it has to be replaced by renewable energy over time, over time, and I'd stopped giving to the oil industry, I'd stop giving them federal subsidies."

Trump retorted, "In terms of business, it's the biggest statement." Why? "Because basically what he's saying that he's going to destroy the oil industry. Will you remember that Texas? Will you remember that Pennsylvania, Oklahoma. Ohio?," asked the president.

When given a chance by the moderator to respond, Biden declared, "He takes everything out of context, but the point is, look, we have to move toward net zero emissions. The first place to do that by the year 2035 is in energy production, by 2050 totally."

https://reason.com/2020/10/23/is-bidens-oil-transition-debate-claim-really-a-big-statement/

So by what date did he say the oil industry would be shut down?

He didn’t give an exact date or say that he was “shutting it down.”  But if he’s saying net zero emissions by 2050 it clearly isn’t in the next 5-8 years. 

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

He didn’t give an exact date or say that he was “shutting it down.”  But if he’s saying net zero emissions by 2050 it clearly isn’t in the next 5-8 years. 

I'm sorry, apparently I should have said "close down" instead of "shutting it down."

The longest he can be POTUS is 8 years. Why do you assume it won't be in the next 5-8 years?

53 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I'm sorry, apparently I should have said "close down" instead of "shutting it down."

The longest he can be POTUS is 8 years. Why do you assume it won't be in the next 5-8 years?

Because of the context of his remarks where he’s talking about zero net emission 30 years from now?  

24 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Because of the context of his remarks where he’s talking about zero net emission 30 years from now?  

All the while making  no mention of when he would close down the oil industry. Unless the close of the oil industry is the only requirement for zero net emissions then you have no idea how quickly he will close it down.

48 minutes ago, Grumps said:

All the while making  no mention of when he would close down the oil industry. Unless the close of the oil industry is the only requirement for zero net emissions then you have no idea how quickly he will close it down.

Does it seem logical to you that for a plan to get to net zero emissions in 2050 you’d shut down the current energy industry 22 years before you’re there?

I mean, take off the partisan goggles for just one second and read the part I posted from the debate again and tell me with all honesty that that sounds like he’s really saying he’ll shut down in oil industry in 5-8 years.

Come on. 

39 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Does it seem logical to you that for a plan to get to net zero emissions in 2050 you’d shut down the current energy industry 22 years before you’re there?

I mean, take off the partisan goggles for just one second and read the part I posted from the debate again and tell me with all honesty that that sounds like he’s really saying he’ll shut down in oil industry in 5-8 years.

Come on. 

Yeah, I'm the partisan one. Neither one of us knows when he wants to close down the oil industry. Period. You make assumptions that fit your narrative.

1 minute ago, Grumps said:

Yeah, I'm the partisan one. Neither one of us knows when he wants to close down the oil industry. Period. You make assumptions that fit your narrative.

Yes, in this instance, you like using this as a way to take a shot at Biden so much you're tossing basic common sense out the window.  You know damn well he's not talking about shutting down the f****** oil industry in 5-8 years and you should be embarrassed for even trying to act like it's a serious concern.

I don't have a narrative.  I have the ability to read.

Here's the thing: whether we believe in global warming or not, pushing for clean energy makes sense, because it protects us from future dependence on oil-producing countries. Even if we continue to produce the amounts we are, we still depend on the world market to keep prices low. The transition is already underway, and energy-producing companies will have to invest in research and development in clean energy to protect their own existences. There are plenty of fossil fuels to last quite a number of years, but the change is going to have to happen at some point. It only makes sense to start sooner rather than later, because the cost of changing becomes far more prohibitive the longer you wait. 

On the surface, it looks like a bully move for someone who is vying for the most powerful office in the land to start throwing around timelines on this, but I can guarantee you the executives of energy companies are actually glad they have a concrete timeline to work toward, because they know their competition must meet the same deadline, and they won't be at a competitive disadvantage. 

Where I believe Biden failed on this issue in the debate was not making absolutely clear that plans must be in place to help current workers in the oil industry transition to jobs in the new energy producing industries, and to tell them that it won't be happening tomorrow. The most vulnerable must be protected in this transition.

Lol. Folks don't want the government involved in healthcare or anything else that might benefit their fellow man because they don't think government can accomplish anything, but they think a single president- in office for a maximum of eight years- is going to shut down the oil industry.

You badly embarrass yourselves. 

19 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I’m not disputing what Biden said, I’m just pointing out; the people whose lives depend on the oil industry heard “we are going to shut down the oil industry”.  He did mention that if American doesn’t do something in 5-8 years it will be too late, the damage will be done.  That is crazy Green New Deal talk and the people in the industry won’t like that.

The transition to less dependence on oil is under way, why hasten what is going to happen when the U.S. is not ready?  The press and the left have done a great job with spreading fear in the case of COVID as the people can see the number of cases and deaths.  It hasn’t really proven the gloom and dome of the climate changing.  Why would anybody want to give more power to the government?

It’s the same principle with the 2nd amendment; Kamala said she would sign an executive order to confiscate guns if the Congress didn’t pass gun laws she like in her first 100 days.  I know she isn’t President....Yet.  The Democratic Party has gone pretty far To the  left, why is that?

On 10/24/2020 at 11:30 AM, SocialCircle said:

Why?

And how about citing your source?

19 hours ago, Grumps said:

Because that would be very disruptive.  A more gradual reduction far less so. 

What he plans to do soon is eliminate Federal subsidies to petroleum, which is a common sense action - at least to those who take AGW seriously.

Conservative New Hampshire paper backs Biden -- its first Democratic endorsement in 100 years

The New Hampshire Union Leader, a conservative-leaning newspaper, has endorsed Democratic candidate Joe Biden for president, despite its century-long history of backing Republicans. In backing Biden, the newspaper endorsed its first Democratic candidate in over 100 years. 

"Building this country up sits squarely within the skill set of Joseph Biden. We have found Mr. Biden to be a caring, compassionate and professional public servant," the Union Leader editorial board wrote on Sunday. "He has repeatedly expressed his desire to be a president for all of America, and we take him at his word."

The paper's editorial board did however highlight what it calls "significant" policy disagreements with Biden, which the board says it expects to spend a "portion of the next four years disagreeing with."

"Joe Biden may not be the president we want, but in 2020 he is the president we desperately need," the editorial continued. "He will be a president to bring people together and right the ship of state."

Despite the board's policy disagreements with Biden, it wasn't enough to endorse President Donald Trump, who is scheduled to visit New Hampshire on Sunday. The newspaper's board wrote that Trump is "not always 100% wrong, but he is 100% wrong for America."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/25/media/new-hampshire-union-leader-democrat-endorsement-joe-biden/index.html

where is the link from social?

Archived