Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

10 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Count me in as someone who doesn’t get the love for Cristobal.

I think it comes with his recruiting and decent success of Oregon. But from what I understand is a major love for him is his ability to recruit.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, woodford said:

Who SHOULD they have hired in 2012? That’s a better conversation at this point. 

Not really. That is in the past. No reason to delve into that.

For ones who don't get the love for Cristobal...it's easy. 

1. Pedigree...check

2. He has assembled a great staff of position coaches with excellent recruiting records 

3. He is a high accountability type of coach which breeds competition. 

4. This is the most important point

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think it comes with his recruiting and decent success of Oregon. But from what I understand is a major love for him is his ability to recruit.

Yeah recruiting is yuge. I just have very heavy doubts we could get him.

47 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

I agree with most of this, Cristobal just doesn't do it for me, Veneables has won at the highest levels at multiple schools.

He’s an elite recruiter and a high energy guy and knows the territory he’d be recruiting here. I’m no expert, just think he’d be a great fit. Venables strikes me as the really good coordinator that wouldn’t be a great HC; there has also been mention of baggage that he would bring that makes him a non-hire. I’m no insider or expert though.

19 hours ago, rophle said:

Now that we’ve created a list of probably 50+ names, we’re gonna need to whittle it down to the top 3-5 before we give it to Allen Greene. 

Mario Manuel Cristobal

Mario Manuel Cristobal

Mario Manuel Cristobal

Mario Manuel Cristobal

Mario Manuel Cristobal

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

He’s an elite recruiter and a high energy guy and knows the territory he’d be recruiting here. I’m no expert, just think he’d be a great fit. Venables strikes me as the really good coordinator that wouldn’t be a great HC; there has also been mention of baggage that he would bring that makes him a non-hire. I’m no insider or expert though.

You would be correct

12 minutes ago, fredst said:

Also, Cristobal's 50, which means he's got plenty of experience but is also still plenty young. And he's got a smoking hot wife. 

His quarterback from last year is starting in the NFL this year. And he's looking really good.

He's recruiting better than anyone ever has at Oregon. He could do big things here. 

On thing to think about is if Saban announced his retirement effective at the end of the 2020 season, what names would be mentioned? What names would be wanted by the Bama fan base?

Now drop out the big, obvious names: Urban Meyers, Bob Stoops, Dabo Swinney, and Kirby Smart.

What would the rest of the list look like?

I think Cristobal would be on the list.

1 minute ago, meh130 said:

On thing to think about is if Saban announced his retirement effective at the end of the 2020 season, what names would be mentioned? What names would be wanted by the Bama fan base?

Now drop out the big, obvious names: Urban Meyers, Bob Stoops, Dabo Swinney, and Kirby Smart.

No LOL. I don't think they would want him after NS success. Two names: Dabo and UM. That would be who they will be after, but honestly they could pick whoever they want since NS will be leaving a goldmine to their successor. Don't be surprised either if they hired within, if they cannot get those two.

1 hour ago, eaglenest said:

I agree with most of this, Cristobal just doesn't do it for me, Veneables has won at the highest levels at multiple schools.

You realize that Cristobal was the AHC at Alabama for 4 years under Saban, right? 

Preferring Venables to a guy like Cristobal who has actual HC and SEC experience is kinda comical to me. He won 12 games and won the PAC10 title last season at Oregon. He was also the Recruiting Coordinator at Alabama under that staff of absolutely elite recruiters; so think about what that means.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Also, Cristobal's 50, which means he's got plenty of experience but is also still plenty young. And he's got a smoking hot wife. 

He's recruiting better than anyone ever has at Oregon. He could do big things here. 

I agree with all of this. His SHW is the cherry on top, no pun intended.

10 minutes ago, meh130 said:

That's an interesting way to frame it. I agree that he would be considered. But they'll also have NFL names on their list (again). 

18 minutes ago, metafour said:

You realize that Cristobal was the AHC at Alabama for 4 years under Saban, right? 

Preferring Venables to a guy like Cristobal who has actual HC and SEC experience is kinda comical to me. He won 12 games and won the PAC10 title last season at Oregon. He was also the Recruiting Coordinator at Alabama under that staff of absolutely elite recruiters; so think about what that means.

I can't see why anyone wouldn't show this guy some love. 

https://goducks.com/staff-directory/mario-cristobal/651

20 minutes ago, metafour said:

Exactly!!! And venables is not the reason Clemson is what it is now.  This would be an Auburn thing to the max

10 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Thanks for the link. Hire Cristobal NOW!

Get er done

Screenshot_20201023-101715_Samsung Internet.jpg

53 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Exactly!!! And venables is not the reason Clemson is what it is now.  This would be an Auburn thing to the max

It’s hard to say. Remember, when he was hired they had just lost 70-33 to WVU. They were good that year but nowhere near where they are now—some of their fans were ready to be done with Dabo after that game despite winning the ACC. It is very possible Venables has played a huge part in their success.

Also, Saban is most definitely NOT stepping down after this year. Though my gut feeling says they promote internally when he does.

If we can get Cristobal, then fine and dandy.

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

If Stoops lost to teams on the level of USCe, Tennessee, and mediocre Georgia and A&M teams on a constant basis, I could agree. But for the most part he didn’t.

Liked only because I agree about BV.

I hear you....I don't have to time to convince you, but Stoops, in OK,  has a built in advantage with recruiting that he would never have at Auburn (half of the TX kids already would go to OK if offered). 

Also it is much much, MUCH  easier to plan and prep for big games when you play a bunch of teams like Kansas that really can't compete with you.  in the SEC, the bottom half of the SEC W will absolutely beat you if you are looking ahead...

I respect Stoops but just think he would struggle at Auburn and he is a smart guy - why tarnish his reputation to take on a project like Auburn?  OU has a lot of built in advantages with recruiting and schedules that Auburn does not enjoy.  How did OU do in the playoffs or NC games under Stoops?

Now, I leave you with this - Every coach since 1950 has either won a natty ( I will claim '83 for Coach Dye) or had at least an undefeated season at Auburn except Barfield and Gus.  And Gus got us to  one, right.   Thus - YOU CAN WIN AT AUBURN.   We should be able to attract an accomplished coach.  

I hate how we were 'reaching' when we hired Terry and Tubs.  But both did some great things...

5 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Stoops, in OK,  has a built in advantage with recruiting that he would never have at Auburn

He'd actually be able to recruit much better at Auburn than he could at Oklahoma. We've got more competition but we're also in far, faaaar deeper talent pool. Consider that we've more or less been a top-10 recruiting school under Gus Malzahn and Gene Chizik. Now imagine what Bob Stoops could accomplish on name brand alone. I don't think he'd have any trouble hiring a top flight staff, either, and I think it's the assistants who do most of the heavy lifting on recruiting. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Yes, we shall remain respectful of our future Tammy Taylor. 

Tami Taylor in Friday Night Lights GIFs | POPSUGAR Entertainment

I am 100% sure that you and I would have fought over the same women in high school and college.

2 minutes ago, The Freak said:

I am 100% sure that you and I would have fought over the same women in high school and college.

Since you shared this observation under a Connie Britton gif, I have to agree. 

Archived